/spg/ - Smartphone General

Black Friday Edition

Share and discuss deals on smartphones and smartphone accessories

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: miQWj5zNWgmWnGu9WXhuqF.jpg (1018x573, 95K)

Other urls found in this thread:

apkmirror.com/faq/
amazon.com/Samsung-MicroSD-Adapter-MB-ME128GA-AM/dp/B06XWZWYVP/
ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-8-Smartphone-Verizon-GSM-Unlocked-AT-T-T-Mobile-or-Sprint/292517351761?epid=2221235265&hash=item441b649151:m:mCqqAEUoPjB-KYIobOjE_4g:sc:USPSPriority!92020!US!-1&var=591347694146
amazon.es/dp/B06XXC5V5M
youtube.com/watch?v=AF2O4l1JprI
ebay.com/str/Motorola/
github.com/yeriomin/YalpStore
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Say no to phone cases. Rise up against phone cases

Low light shot from a MIX 3, stolen from a forum
Thoughts?
>inb4 >MI8

Attached: 201888554356-f771-4585-8f85-1a362394cb85.jpg (1200x900, 349K)

>being desperate for replies

Attached: 77515073[1].jpg (326x326, 11K)

Does the small Pixel 2 have any notable problems aside from the lack of 3.5mm port? I remember hearing some display quality complaints but can't remember if those were just about the XL.

How should I feel about one UI? It is a lot easier to use but it feels like an iOS rip off design wise
Pic related

Attached: Screenshot_20181121-175225_Settings.jpg (1440x2960, 364K)

Any good ebay deals?

That was just the XL, which uses a LG-made OLED panel. The regular Pixel 2 has a Samsung AMOLED display which doesn't have any issues.

It's not fucking bait! I can't use a phone case, I'm serious. Have some respect for the designer of the phone

Link to the thread? If it says Mi 8, it was taken by a Mi 8. Anyway without a reference photo from a DSLR to compare lightning, there isn't much to talk about, that's why I'd like to see the link. This could be an extremely low-light scene that the AI shat all over in an attempt to recreate details that shouldn't be visible, the same way Huawei's processing can ruin photos when left unattended.
iOS copy like MIUI, but with even more wasted screen space and retarded grouping

It's not wasted space if it serves a purpose
Goes away once you scroll up as well

Attached: Screenshot_20181121-180305_Settings.jpg (1440x2960, 465K)

Guy borrowed a engineering sample Mix 3, the camera app recognized it as a Mi8. He has photos of the thing though.
Anyway it's not a english speaking forum.

Attached: 201893672c21-e6ae-454d-a144-cf29cdf627f9.jpg (1200x900, 132K)

Got my xiaomi phone 14 days ago and only have 30 hours left on the unlock timer, guess they mustve chagned it

any applefags that can tell me why i cant jump in the timeline on songs by just touching it.

Attached: timeline.png (379x448, 77K)

Is stock LineageOS usable or is it kinda shitty?
I only use VLC and Firefox, but last time I tried it the stock keyboard was fucking garbo.

Attached: 1490905001880.gif (597x630, 165K)

did you know you can change the keyboard in Android?

Well yeah, but I don't plan on installing Gapps and I don't know any FOSS keyboards that are actually decent.

Couldn't you install a non-FOSS keyboard and then just completely block its internet access

F droid must have one decent one

It's not that I really care if it's FOSS/proprietary (I use Windows 7), I just wouldn't trust installing a proprietary APK from a non-official source.

Then it's the same as MIUI 10, except there you have device info in place of the massive title.

APKmirror my dude

Is that shit legit though?

Is it worth it to root a phone? I have no idea what I'm doing but I just want to use Adblock.

what do you mean by adblock? is it for your browser?

What phone would you say has the best LineageOS support?

Attached: 1500037241538.jpg (283x314, 26K)

Yes
apkmirror.com/faq/

You don't need root for adblock, just use Adguard or Blokada or one of the other root-free adblockers.

128GB Samsung MicroSD card for $19.99:
amazon.com/Samsung-MicroSD-Adapter-MB-ME128GA-AM/dp/B06XWZWYVP/

the firefox mobile browser has ublock origin support
if that is not up to your taste there is also firefox focus but its a little more difficult to get use too
ive tried DNS66 and Blockada but they just seem off, maybe rooting is worth it

I am looking for a standard flip phone that runs on the USA ATT network AND can hook up to a Bluetooth qwerty keyboard for writing texts. Would be interested in such a phone on any network really if phone existed but without ATT. Anything like that exists?

100% buying a note 8 today while it's 15% off on ebay

Which seller do I buy from?

This one seems decent for an "Excellent" condition, but it's well over $400

ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-8-Smartphone-Verizon-GSM-Unlocked-AT-T-T-Mobile-or-Sprint/292517351761?epid=2221235265&hash=item441b649151:m:mCqqAEUoPjB-KYIobOjE_4g:sc:USPSPriority!92020!US!-1&var=591347694146

Attached: Note 8.jpg (500x500, 26K)

Same, though I've broken my last two phones by dropping them. Each lasted 2+ years with no case.

Why?

370€ for a S8 if you live in Europe. Not sure how good of a deal it is.
>amazon.es/dp/B06XXC5V5M

Nice, does Gboard need other Google shit or will it work on it's own?

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Release the Spyce - 01 [720p].mkv_snapshot_10.53_[2018.10.07_13.15.14].jpg (584x635, 90K)

Picking up an iPhone X on Friday, anything I should know before I move from Android to iOS?

That's for me to know and (you) to ponder.

Not very good

Why on earth would you submit yourself to torture?

I'll give you a flip phone rec if you explain

Tired of android desu. My phone still hasn't received Android 9.0 despite it being about a year old. + i wanna give ios a try again after dropping it for the nexus 5

Phonekino

Attached: 415TFYTM9CL.jpg (293x500, 17K)

Alright so I bought the Redmi Note 5, it's pretty good so far, loving every bit of it specially the gestures. Now I'm at 19%, is the "charge at 5% to 95%" a meme. Do I drain it and charge fully?

And does "ATT" mean GSM unlocked? Because I think Tracfone uses AT&T network, so would any AT&T or GSM unlocked phone work or what?

Just unlock your boot loader

you want to stay within 20%-80%
youtube.com/watch?v=AF2O4l1JprI

why is my two year old Moto G3 already glacial, can't even check the weather without it taking a full 10-15 seconds

Just got mine today? Care to share the gestures and what they are for? Also loving it. MIUI actually looks very good in person

>3gb RAM
>2700mAh battery
>$1000
You probably already know that you're overpaying for inferior product.. good luck I guess

Look up NextApp keyboard! I use it and like it a lot

fucking accidental question mark
It's 3 years old now. Also
>expecting more than 1.5-2 years of good enough performance out of a budget phone

Attached: IMG_20181121_170929.jpg (1536x2048, 300K)

>Choice of Verizon Locked, GSM Unlocked, AT&T Locked, T-Mobile Locked, or Sprint Locked

well ya but the network my carrier uses is AT&T, and I've bought an AT&T moto something before and it worked...

I'm buying from a different seller now, $400 for a damned phone sucks, but it's probably worth it I guess...

Is Motorola really selling its phones on eBay or am I getting scammed?

Yeah it's actually Motorola

If you mean this I'm pretty sure it's real otherwise they would have taken it down

buy a Z Force, was the best phone for the money from my research a few weeks ago

ebay.com/str/Motorola/

it removes the buttons in the lower portion for full screen utilization and for me the accidental back and home clicks. the gestures are the alternative to it. you swipe to change app or exit it.

interesting

Thank you user. I want to take advantage of the 15% discount if I can't get best buy to price match a Fry's ad but I don't want to buy from a random seller.

Ive gotten used to the LG version of android, its really nice too bad their phone selection is ass. Way too expensive

You charge it at 15% and until 99. What the fuck is this 60-80% meme

That's a cute body pillow linus.

>It's not fucking bait! I can't use a phone case, I'm serious. Have some respect for the designer of the phone
Yeah, by breaking their glass sandwich devices and:

At least specify the model to know if you can actually root it.
Enjoy your double locked down phone (no custom ROM support and a permanently locked bootloader by your carriers).
Which phone did you have? Also, Apple updates offer battery throttling or random shutdowns otherwise. Good luck and good luck with this as well:
Also:
>no micro SD card slot
>no 3.5mm audio jack
>notch which can't be disabled

>Enjoy your double locked down phone (no custom ROM support and a permanently locked bootloader by your carriers).
I have no interest in loading a custom ROM or anything

and I went with a different seller who lists it as ATT GSM unlocked

>At least specify the model

OP6. I guess I will root it just to have maximum degrees of freedom.

Whatever. No one's ever bragged about not having more software updates though.
Here's someone with a brain on Jow Forums.

a lot of big retailers sell shit on ebay
i've bought from toys r us via ebay before

Xz2 or S9

S9
>way better camera
>better fingerprint scanner
>will be able to get it fixed or replaced if i damage it, unlike Sony Xperia stuff

XZ2
>better battery
>near stock android

not sure how the displays compare. curved screen on the s9 doesn't bother me but i don't know if it makes it more or less fragile.

Got a A2 Lite a week ago. Happy with it. Why would you pay more than 180 € for a phone?

good question, I'm soon to join the Xiaomi mustardface and I'm looking forward to my new $147 chinkphone and experimenting with
currently have a Moto G5+ that's my daily and I'm gonna check to see if I can get this Taiwan edition to pick up B12 in Murica by grabbing the LTE code from this Moto and inserting it in the RN5 that I'm getting next week
Wish me luck!

Attached: tumblr_inline_nlt03hloif1qix2yh_500.jpg (500x431, 45K)

Nokia 6.1 has Android One, Snapdragon 630 and ok-ish specs otherwise, but damn, that things is a BRICK. Am I just old and didn’t see enough of those 6" phones or is the fault with Nokia's very square and rough design?

I tried last time, fucking scratch on phone the second fucking day.

>want smartphone in android one program
>all of them are shit

Attached: 1533416207351.png (120x120, 28K)

Get a Oneplus and have LineageOS support then

How did you even find Jow Forums?

>notch
>no headphone jack
>no sd slot

Attached: 1yzxl7.jpg (628x796, 32K)

So get a 5T you worthless faggot there's no fucking difference

>linus
and I'm out.

ASK is pretty fine.

>have up to date redmi note 5 pro
>gmail notifications don't vibrate
what's wrong? I enabled everything, yet there's no vibration. sms app has the same permissions and vibration works

I bought one recently. I like the square edges and mostly flat design a lot and I was specifically looking for that, but the phone is a little bit too wide for that style to fit comfortably in your hand. At least it's pretty thin and has a large non-notched screen for its size.

I was also looking for small phones, but they basically don't exist anymore. If I could still find a new XZ1 compact or iphone SE I probably would've picked one of those two over the 6.1, but at least so far it's a good phone and it was dirt cheap.

Is there any way to implement a truly replaceable battery in a phone without sacrificing waterproofing and modern smartphone build materials? I was thinking something along the lines of a small pull tab at the top of the phone that reveals the battery on the other side with a rubber grommet behind the tab for waterproofing or a cover at the top with 2 screws in it with a rubber grommet on the other side.

Samsung had both waterproofing and replaceable batteries on their phones in the past, so it's entirely possible.

If you distrust mirrors of proprietary apks, you can still download the installers directly from the play store without needing to install Google's framework.

github.com/yeriomin/YalpStore

>Pixel 3 at $600 during BF deal

Isn't this a no-brainer at this price range?

Yes

Looks like shit.

Attached: IMG_20181029_195124.jpg (1440x1920, 2.16M)

It's slow and generally shitty on my regular S9 but this shouldn't be a surprise since it's an early beta?

why do we need waterproofing
if your dumbass drops a phone in a puddle or the toilet or the pool then you deserve it

>he fell for the glass back meme
Phones should have plastic backs

and plastic fronts

In my case my pocophone doesn't show notification icons on the notch (stable MIUI 10 already). Is it worth rooting the phone and flashing a MiUI 10 Android Pie to fix it?

I haven't got the update yet but the recent apps implementation is a complete rip off from iOS and I hate it. I am not sure whether they will kill Samsung Themes after One UI. How are the icon packs support is going to be?

Did you factory reset it after updating? It's always better to factory reset after a major incremental update.

But it was done - the S5.

I think Samsung used a plastic back, which I'd have no problem with but most flagships nowadays have abandoned plastic and I don't think anybody in the industry would go with plastic aside from Motorola or any other Chinese manufacturer. I'm talking about something like a flagship with mainstream build materials like ceramic, aluminum or even glass and includes a replaceable battery without getting rid of waterproofing. I'm pretty sure replaceable batteries vanished from most smartphones because modern smartphone design wouldn't allow it and that it ultimately benefits the consumer and not the manufacturer which is a no no since it doesn't put the money they'd get from the consumer just buying a new phone in their pocket.

Nokia 6.1 (2018) for my gf.
I've read about it and I'm pretty confident it's the perfect phone for her.
What's a good (cheapish) place where to buy it in Europe? In local stores it's sitting at 185€.

reminder to use code "PICKFAST" on ebay for 15% off, was able to get a brand new op6 for 377

Thanks.

Need an upgrade from iphone 6+. I can get either Op6t or Note 9 exynos for the same money.

Opinions?

Oneplus