>slow with editing long lines
>slow with editing large files
>have to learn an entire language (elisp) to use it properly
>modes are buggy and sometimes run into scripting errors
>poor graphical support
>nerds who can only code fizzbuzz touting it as good
>most written modes suck compared to what IDEs offer
>debugging sucks

Attached: 2000px-EmacsIcon.svg.png (2000x2000, 371K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/mnbNo
common-lisp.net/project/climacs/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I just installed AUCTeX using the GUI, how do I start the mode?

>slow startup
takes like 1 second for me, and there is a daemon mode if that's not fast enough for you.
also, use use-package and defer loading big modes.
emacs' buffer representation isn't the most efficient, but it's fast enough to work with 10000s loc source files.
you can configure emacs without knowing much elisp. you only need it if you're writing a custom mode or something more involved.
never happened to me
>poor graphical support
i don't really know what you mean by that. it's a text editor meant to edit, so it has a text interface.
not an argument
then use the ones that don't suck
>debugging sucks
debugging sucks in general. the gdb interface in emacs is pretty neat though. it shows you all the source code, all registers, a stacktrace, and an expression watch list.

Emacs lisp cant even do concurrency which is pretty much the sole purpose of using a functional language.

Attached: baitBigger.jpg (1000x1000, 45K)

Emacs should have been done in Common Lisp 30 years ago, too bad lispfags are useless retards who get nothing done with it.

archive.is/mnbNo

Attached: 1542803658066.jpg (669x696, 78K)

Spacemacs solves all the UI problems of emacs. The only problem with spacemacs is that it runs on top of emacs so suffers from all the bloat and slowness of emacs.

Attached: 68747470733a2f2f7777772e6e61737365722e73706163652f696d67732f73706163656d6163732d6c6f676f2e706e67.png (500x500, 88K)

Agree with everything.
Vim is worse however in that it used for a political purpose on every start up: to prompt users to give money to Africans.

put this in your .vimrc to get rid of the begging for money to try and cover the crimes done by Dutch/Belgian colonization of the Congo
set shortmess=I

>money to try and cover the crimes done by Dutch/Belgian colonization of the Congo
The colonization was for the economic benefit of Africa.

I tried in earnest to switch to Emacs some time ago. With Spacemacs, it's easy to get started in a vim-like environment and there are some truly tempting IDE type of features to be had. I got it all configured and spent about two weeks using it at work and at home. Unfortunately, I found that the promised features were usually pretty buggy. While it was snappy enough when it was running, startup time was a bitch so I had to use server/client mode, which had its own set of oddities.

It's way more extensible than Vim, but ultimately I got Vim riced out with the stuff I liked from Spacemacs (airline, buffer searching, autocomplete, etc) and that's been good enough.

>>slow startup
You're a retard who uses 200 packages
>>slow with editing long lines
Only retards work with files where lines are longer than 80 characters. It's literally the reason why it's slow, ask the emacs developers
>>slow with editing large files
nil aka false
>>have to learn an entire language (elisp) to use it properly
Only retards can't learn a language in a week
>>modes are buggy and sometimes run into scripting errors
Only retards not use just the essential, working packages
>>poor graphical support
Are you an actual faggot? Who the fuck cares about graphics?
>>nerds who can only code fizzbuzz touting it as good
Maybe Richard Stallman, the man who wrote a C compiler in 5 days, kek. Or fucking Julian Assange. KYS faggot
>>debugging sucks
You have a terminal to do debugging you dumb fuck. But people who use emacs are so smart, that they never have to debug programs, because they always work.

Emacs noob here. In spacemacs and doomemacs there is a buffer to the left that had a simple directory tree. Can I get this buffer in vanilla emacs? What is it called?

NeoTree

i tried to use emacs over a weekend. it's just too autistic, and i say this as a vim user

the bloat and slowness of spacemacs comes from all the shitty packages it uses, base emacs is not that slow

wrong, Spacemacs uses all the common packages that any other emacs preset kit would use

youre spewing FUD, everything in emacs is a package, the packages that get added to emacs are no different to the built in emacs packages and they all get interpreted the same by emacs. emacs at its core is just an elisp interpreter and EVERYTHING that runs on emacs is an elisp script.

i just got accepted to community college and the teacher told me to hate this editor so I hate this editor: the post.

doom-emacs also runs on top of emacs but it's smarter about it and manages to be not as bloated and slow as spacemacs.

I only use it for terminal editing. I use VS Code for real programming.

>slow startup
My emacs boots in under half a second, and that's with 400 modules loaded.
Gap buffers are not the most efficient sure, but they're hardly slow. They're only slow if you do a massive regex for example.
You don't. Even then, if you want to "use vim properly" you'd have to learn the abortion that is vimscript.
Examples please? I've been using emacs for about 2 years now and have not come across a "scripting error" in any of the major modes i have used.
>poor graphical support
It's a graphical interface by default. I can embed entire fucking PDFs and arbitrary images inside my documents. That's pretty high tier graphical support.
Ad hominin is not an argument; but i'll rise to it. I use it every day and i'm an employed C dev.
I strongly disagree. Most community made emacs major modes are fucking great. Irony, intero, sly, ess, elpy. The list goes on.
>debugging sucks
M-x gdb.
Install realgud if you're a pleb.

Spacemacs is slow as balls. if you want a preconfigured evil-mode setup just use doom. It's far faster, and the module API is far cleaner.

holy fuck you're dumb

Oh, it's you. Return to where you came from

I have emacs on termux and I will say it takes about 8 seconds to start up

>f you want a preconfigured evil-mode setup just use doom
I'm trying emacs coming from vim. Should I give doom a try or should I better keep with just evilmode until I get more comfortable?
Right now I just have (evil-mode 1) in my init.el

Giving it a try never hurts, you don't have to stick with it.

doom seems quite complete and may have too many stuff for my needs. I am worry that if I get straight into doom, I'll miss on emacs' good practice and will pay the price of it later down the road.

Common Lisp didn't exist back then stupid

open a .tex file or execute M-x latex-mode

starter kits are gay

>nerds who can only code fizzbuzz tout it as good
you wanna know how i know you're not involved in any serious software development team?
we've got people using emacs, vim, and nano, each of which sure that they're doing what they like

There are plenty of stories out there of people who made the transition to emacs with doom or space then later down the road scrapped it and built their own system from scratch when they started bumping against the walls of the design decisions with their configurations.
In short, you'll be fine if you start with space or doom. You might also find they just fit your needs and not bother much with hacking your own editor together. remember they both started as someone's config, after all.

>Emacs should have been done in Common Lisp 30 years ago, too bad lispfags are useless retards who get nothing done with it.
its already done
common-lisp.net/project/climacs/

It should have been done in clojure.

I like the GUI for spacemacs a LOT better for spacemacs (also the last time i tried to install DOOM I got a bunch of errors when trying to download the packages. Might've just been a thing, though).
Is there an easy way to make DOOM emacs look better?

Vim is quite extensible nowadays. Pretty much every good Emacs editing feature can be found as a plugin for vim (or you can roll your own without much trouble and without having to learn a mediocre lisp dialect). I've found vim-plug to be much more straightforward and reliable than ELPA, too.

The two are converging: Emacs performance is approaching vim, and vim's extensibility and feature-set is catching up to emacs.

Anyways, it's probably an irrelevant discussion in the grand scheme of things. There's no reason to not use a full-fledged IDE plus Vim or emacs bindings in a professional setting.

shitty bait Mx-Kill-yourself

>>slow startup
This only matters if you're restarting it all the time.
>>slow with editing long lines
I don't even know if this is true since I never deal with lines longer than maybe 200 characters
>>slow with editing large files
This is true but only for files with over 10000 lines
>>have to learn an entire language (elisp) to use it properly
This isn't really true, unless you're actually writing packages you don't need to know any more elisp than what you could learn in 15 min
>>modes are buggy and sometimes run into scripting errors
Which modes?
>>poor graphical support
What?
>>nerds who can only code fizzbuzz touting it as good
Lol ok
>>most written modes suck compared to what IDEs offer
This is true for some languages and I agree that in general language-specific features are better in IDEs.
>>debugging sucks
This is the opposite of true

>Pretty much every good Emacs editing feature
Yeah no, even basic things like recursive editing or abbrevs are impossible in Vim.

b8

go away vimfag

Attached: smug_tea.png (152x180, 51K)