John Carmack

I don't understand more than half the things he's talking about, yet I could listen to him babble for days.
is he /ourguy/?

Attached: xA8LLRu.png (531x467, 59K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Carmack
youtube.com/watch?v=VUfu-xOGr1U&t=8m33s
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_inverse_square_root#cite_note-Beyond3Dp2-27
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

He is more of a /v/ guy, people on Jow Forums don't have the programming skill for graphics.

Literally he's just using highly specific technical jargon to discuss things you probably already know the gist of

yeah but he seems like total robot to me. Dude is genius and rich, but still a total sperg and I love it.

as if /v/ have

/v/ is full of resetera trannies

He's far too personable and passionate about his interests to be a robot.
Go watch Zuckerberg's meeting with Congress for comparison and contrast.

I didn't mean it in a bad way, more like Data from star trek.

There is no "good way" to call someone a robot.

Hell, the stress of maintaining the Data persona is what led Spiner to have his character killed off so he could quit Star Trek forever.

>Jesus Christ
>John Carmack
it can't be a coincidence

based

Attached: JimCaviezel.jpg (454x594, 57K)

I mean, they can discuss him from a gaming perspective, Jow Forums can't really discuss him from a programming perspective as nobody on this board is intelligent enough to be working with the thing he does. This board is mostly for people doing low-IQ work like web developers.

I don't see why he's so hung up on VR, it's just motion controls esque gimmick of this decade

VR's been under serious research in academia, industry, and military in one form or another since the '50s.
It's gotten a shot in the arm recently thanks to extremely cheap hardware from the smartphone industry, but it's not exactly from this decade.

He's hung up on it because he is first and foremost a graphics dork and the problem of displaying VR on prototyped hardware he built in his garage is new and interesting for him.

>gimmick

I don't think so, seems like VR is the logical step when it comes to human world creation. It would be quite strange if this stopped at interaction (video games) and didn't involve movement(VR) in the future.

He'll probably be the first person to create a brain computer interface

Attached: 20d.png (1024x640, 497K)

graphics pipelines are not common knowledge

Neither are connectomes but the Jow Forums thread about them was cool as shit. I don't come here for common knowledge.

>Jesus Christ
>John Carmack (is Jesus Christ)
>Jim Caviezel (played Jesus Christ)
holy shit

you couldn't possibly be more incorrect.

Jim Carrey also had a crack at playing God for a bit...

Attached: Jim_Carrey_2008.jpg (849x1155, 516K)

>As reported in David Kushner's Masters of Doom, when Carmack was 14, he broke into a school to help a group of children steal Apple II computers. To gain entry to the building, Carmack concocted a sticky substance of thermite mixed with Vaseline that melted through the windows. However, an overweight accomplice struggled to get through the hole, and opened the window, setting off a silent alarm and alerting police. Carmack was arrested, and sent for psychiatric evaluation (the report mentions 'no empathy for other human beings' and describes Carmack as 'a brain on legs'). Carmack was then sentenced to a year in a juvenile home.[5][6]
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Carmack

Graphics programming isnt that hard, its just super fucking tedious.

B-but Carmack said it's harder than rocket science

Didn't Carmack make doom?

He is a decent programmer at best. Not some kind of god like /v/ and /vr/ try to pretend. The greatest game programmer is only decent in terms of programming as a whole.

oh right i forgot, the only thing wrong with modern games is lack of head tracking, there's nothing else worth fixing about them no siree

>steal some computers so you can enjoy your intellectual hobby
>he's a fucking twisted psychopath!
>rob, kill, and steal
>he was a good buy he dindu nuffin he was goin to church and needs money fo dem programs!!!

No it's the opposite. It doesn't require alot of code but the code is fairly complex

Because he's not a game dev, he's a tech dev, and we've run out of tech to develop so he has to settle for some meme shit like VR

Other fields of programming aren't really more difficult, people just don't like to admit that because video games are for children

Well, he said that the problems in graphics programming are not solved and are evolving all the time (paraphrasing) which isn't true for rocket science. I know what he means but I remember everyone in the room laughing like "wtf this honkey ass nerd talking about?" which was glorious.

well rocket science is evolving too
rocket science is just really overrated in general because of american cold war propaganda and muh moon landing

I met John last year at Oculus Connect 4 and again this year at Oculus Connect 5. He was super nice. I was insanely lucky to get the chance to sit down and talk with him in a much smaller group later on. I grew up playing Commander Keen and DOOM so getting the chance to meet him honestly was a dream come true. They say never meet your heroes but they were fucking retarded to say that if you ask me. Listening to John talk in person is the most mind boggling thing. It’s like he has an answer to every question I had but he has so much depth on every topic.

>is he /ourguy/?
I asked him a question about why he taught his kid Basic and we got onto the subject of C then the HolyC at which point he said “I admire the Temple OS project."

So ya he is definitely /ourguy/

Attached: 4L_9hBB50Ts.jpg (4032x3024, 1.91M)

>releases his code open source
>bent hardware to his mercy
>saved OpenGL during the Quake era
>wrote full software renderer for when your computer was total potato
>connected to the mystery of 0x5f3759df
>did satellites and VR for the lols
>invented Doom to pwn n00bs online
>puts on wig and removes glasses to shitpost as John Romero
>At one point the man twiddled his pencil and asked Carmack, "If you hadn't been caught, do you think you would have done something like this again?"
>"If I hadn't been caught," Carmack replied honestly, "yes, I probably would have done that again."
>Later he ran into the psychiatrist, who told him, "You know, it's not very smart to tell someone you're going to go do a crime again."
>"I said, 'if I had not been caught,' goddamn it!"
BASED Carmack

Attached: based.jpg (500x389, 53K)

>“I admire the Temple OS project."
absolutely fucking based if real
>>connected to the mystery of 0x5f3759df
many people did that before him, he didn't invent it

youtube.com/watch?v=VUfu-xOGr1U&t=8m33s

Was it autism?

It’s real my dude.

Attached: 4L_w5PIqDWI.jpg (3072x2304, 1.8M)

Such a shame he literally works for the devil now.

>“I admire the Temple OS project."
JOHN CARMACK CONFIRMED ALT-RIGHT NAZI RACIST

Why yes, RAGE was indeed Carmack's fecal mater.

>Such a shame he literally works for the devil now.
Doomguy went to hell too.

I emailed him about ten years ago. I can't find the email in question (pretty sure I deleted the account) but I remember asking him something inane about loading resources and whether I should worry about resource management as a beginning hobbyist game developer. He said to not worry about that and just load everything at the beginning, and gave me some other tips. Looking back it was a pointless thing to ask, really, but he replied inside of an hour and gave me a proper thoughtful response. Good times. I hope I get to shake his hand one day.

Attached: JCDenton2.png (720x720, 530K)

Ah yes

This made me smile. It sounds just like him. He would be happy to shake your hand for sure.

He's the MAN

Bump for carmack

>John "Denton" Carmack

kek you couldn't be more of a pissypants gaymer manchild and the fact Jow Forums is upsetting you so much over it just shines in these posts
go back to

>t. NPC meme poster

>went from C to, regrettably, C++ and then to Lisp
He is the prodigal son and absolutely our guy.

>I hope I get to shake his hand one day.
Why? What is so special about his hand?

Is there a way to fix acne scars?

Yes. Forgot what it's called but it basically melts collagen in your skin, after a few days of healing even very deep scars pretty much disappear.

>many people did that before him, he didn't invent it
According to wiki he didn't even write it. It's been attributed some Turing award winning academic.

basically
>the hardware is too shit for anything besides basic meme games

>puts on wig and removes glasses to shitpost as John Romero
Fucking what

Attached: A2749344-C928-4911-BEA6-9222F8C2ED9F.png (400x400, 148K)

Fucking fatties

With any luck he will have jacked off earlier and not washed it yet

How about "they're both shitbags"

Rocket science is not that hard either, it just sounds cool.
You cloud run a rocket on a scientific calculator with just few equations to evaluate.

The lighting optimizations he used are pretty fucking neat. It doesn't mean he is a genius but he is really smart.

>It doesn't mean he is a genius but he is really smart.
would any programmer qualify as a genius? whats the criteria?

Nah. Genius is someone who is exceptionally smart and use that to push humanity forward.(eg. Einstein as an extreme case)
If you can understand and use fast inversion square root like Carmack did then you are really smart. If you can come up with this algorithm on your own, you might be a genius.(Carmack didn't invented it)

Inverted not inversion*

>If you can come up with this algorithm on your own, you might be a genius
I'm sure he has come up with many algorithms on his own, just not that one

VR is mostly about bumping into chairs while playing a turret game where you can't even move. AR is going to be the real deal. Imagine what you can do with a programmable visual overlay for the real world.

He didn't came up with Fast InvSqrt though. I don't negate that he might be a genius, I don't know his exact skill and legacy.

>However, an overweight accomplice struggled to get through the hole, and opened the window
why are fat people always retarded?

Attached: 1361628025728.png (618x694, 637K)

why did id tech fail while unreal engine prospers?

But he did invent other algorithms

I think I have feelings for John Carmack

>If you can come up with this algorithm [fast inversion square root] on your own, you might be a genius.

Why don't we know exactly who came up with it? Maybe it was taken from somewhere? Maybe the dev who came up with it was sleep deprived and it was a spur of the moment thing. Maybe whoever came up with it chose to remain anonymous so that the company they were under contract with wouldn't take ownership of it. I wish there were a way to trace it back somehow. Some fucked up genius put some work in and created a piece of gaming history, yet we have no clue who it is.

Too much ray tracing on the bed with nvidia.

Name some great programmers overall.

>Rys Sommefeldt concluded that the original algorithm was devised by Greg Walsh at Ardent Computer in consultation with Cleve Moler, the creator of MATLAB.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_inverse_square_root#cite_note-Beyond3Dp2-27

It's fine. He is the Archer of gamedev.

You have to be a special kind of retard to get fat.

Vulkan

>Some fucked up genius put some work in and created a piece of gaming history
It's not really an amazing algorithm, it just looks baffling because of bitwise operation on a float
People come up with creative solutions to problems like this all the time

How's that lighting model coming along?.

Attached: stupid-fuck.jpg (474x260, 24K)

/O U R G U Y/

This guy alone has invented 3d video games. How can humanity ever top that?

The quake engine is absolutely incredible and impressive not because it's particularly advanced but because it's completely hacked together bullshit made on a time crunch and it wasn't just a gold standard for performance in 3d software rendering it was also the gold standard for how to render and store 3d environments

Like, the level of complexity employed to create what basically amounts to a rushed, half baked sequel to Doom managed to steer the next two decades of video game development and directly influence the juggernaut titles of the next decade

I got the source code to the old Navy seals quake mod to compile and worked on turning it into a standalone and kind of got bored but for a 20 year old game engine its exceptionally capable and impressive how well I runs. I've got that mod running on a 3ds, psp, dreamcast, and all of those source ports run great on seriously different architecture

>This guy alone has invented 3d video games. How can humanity ever top that?
Battlezone came out in 1980 when Carmack was only 10 years old.

>ID Tech 6 and onward will never be released to the public

Attached: 1514060613408.jpg (619x234, 32K)

>I don't understand more than half the things he's talking about, yet I could listen to him babble for days.
That's basically every obnoxious carmack fan.
Just a bunch of uneducated GAMERS being in contact with an extremely smart guy for the first and last time in their lazy, instant gratification addicted life.
Yes he's smart and makes your favorite thing: games. Good boy. Keep him off Jow Forums though.

You can't talk about the Quake engine without talking about it's network performance. Seriously, it broke new ground. It's one of those rare cases where technology made for a game had a massive impact on the rest of computing.

Go back to /v/ where you belong. Technology does not revolve around entertaining manchildren like yourself.

>Technology does not revolve around entertaining manchildren like yourself.
thats funny, I wonder what GPUs were invented for

computing large prime numbers

>it's completely hacked together bullshit made on a time crunch
jonh carmack spent like a year writing the engine while everyone else at id twiddled their thumbs with nothing to do

Rendering graphics for video games

Computer graphics are not solely, or even primarily a gaming technology. Just because manchildren like you dont use then for anything else doesn't mean the rest of the world does.

i don't use /v/ because it has an even worse shilling problem than this board, keep on thinking you're special though just because you bought a worthless oculus DK and are now desperately searching for something to use it for

I havent used a dk1 in a long fucking time. If you think VR is all about gaymes you need to broaden your horizons. I actually feel bad for you user.

>Technology does not revolve around entertaining manchildren like yourself

Attached: 12660402_10203867357203499_1068083366_n.jpg (800x988, 110K)

Computer graphics, not neccessarily, real-time computer graphics, like what GPUs do? Nearly all development in that area comes from and is made for video games

nice try but all the "industrial" uses of VR are better served with actual specialized hardware instead of trying to repurpose useless video game shit

Holy shit how can you be this ignorant? Do some research on a company called silicon graphics. Real time 3d, with dedicated hardware, is not new. Its just affordable.
5 years ago yes. Not anymore though. Its a great field. If you have an interest in real time 3d you should look into it. Lots of interesting and important problems to be solved. Lots of bullshit snake oil salesmen too.