Isn't it remarkable?

Out of a playlist with literally thousands of items and set to _RANDOM_ playback it still manages to repeat certain songs multiple times in two hours.
How do they do it, lads?

Attached: vlc-xmas.png (512x513, 236K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.technet.microsoft.com/filecab/2016/09/16/stop-using-smb1/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This is a known phenomenon that people are notoriously bad at understanding. The more songs in a list you play at random, the higher of a chance you have of repeating one on the next play. You roll these dice on every song that gets selected, and it turns out that you're actually very likely to get occasional repeats after working through a fairly small portion of the playlist.

To combat this, a lot of players will keep track of which songs have been played already and specifically avoid them instead of picking truly randomly each time, just so they can avoid upsetting retards like you who don't understand probability.

Assuming 2000 songs and each song is 5 minutes long, the chance of 0 repeated songs in 2 hours is

(2000! / 1976!) / (2000^24) =0.871

I guess you got into the unlucky 13%.

>I told the program to play songs randomly and it did, wtf

Attached: brainletpit.png (1416x1600, 606K)

It's because vlc can only generate sudo random numbers

Random does not mean "don't repeat songs", retard.

>all these vlc apologists
kek

>the more songs in a list, the higher of a chance you have of repeating on the next play
I can feel my brain slumping on one side since reading this

That's not what I said. I said the more songs in a list that you have already played, the higher your chance of repeating one. This is trivial and obvious. Obtain better reading comprehension.

It was a direct quote

No, it wasn't. You cut out an important part of it to make it imply something different.

VLC app is terrible as well..

Still can't sort by date modified nor can it access files via SMB2 or 3..

>The more songs in a list you play at random, the higher of a chance you have of repeating one on the next play.

Attached: IIF96Bb.jpg (750x393, 42K)

Who gives a shit? SMB 1 works fine.

blogs.technet.microsoft.com/filecab/2016/09/16/stop-using-smb1/

>The more songs in a list you play at random
you should have written, the more songs of/from a list you play.
you are not more likely to repeat in a larger playlist.

This is a fine example of how unfit natural language is at describing precise logical phenomena.

Attached: Nicole Waterson reaction 28.png (767x694, 515K)

>not recognizing the birthday paradox
All of you need to take statistics.

Attached: 1541559645132.jpg (539x480, 69K)

>thought id sneak that birthday stat trivia i member
The birthday paradox is not that you happen to pick the same student over and over again when you're selecting students at random, angel!

Attached: this guy is a fucking idiot.png (499x338, 38K)

>hurr

>listen to tunes on random
>It sticks to some bullshit algorithm containing 7 or so artists and my most played instead of being random and me choosing random for a reason
>Almost like 10000 tracks aren't enough for a random sample

Are you actually retarded? The likelihood of picking the same song increases dramatically the longer the playlist is played, which is a textbook example of the birthday paradox. The rest can be explained by poor/mediocre seeding of whatever RNG VLC is using to select songs.

... Okay, sweetie.

Attached: sealab so... would you put YOUR brain... in a robot body?.jpg (400x300, 32K)

The function you want is shuffle, not random. With random the probability of repeat songs increases exponentially as time goes on.

Any of you niggas got any extra turkey? Damn I'm hungry. Pic unrelated.

Attached: random.gif (640x189, 33K)

>what is probability
Ever hear of the birthday paradox?

Come back after you manage to pass a high school statistics class

Retard

This.
The idiot should stick to not more than 10 tracks to avoid repetitive playback. It's just common sense.

its only logical
kek

What is max number of tracks playable in 10 track playlist before hearing a repeat?
What is max number of tracks playable in 100 track playlist before hearing a repeat?

Now read your post again.

Attached: Math is universal poster from South Park cropped.jpg (2400x2400, 1.53M)

the joke

>random
>no repeat

Attached: 4467.jpg (858x402, 52K)

By being truly random I guess

fpbp