Other urls found in this thread:

openwashing.org/
gist.github.com/vertexclique/9839383
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Emacs

I mean vim

basado y gnupildorado.

code just werks
atom is objectively inferior in terms of performance and you can expect it to be abandonware in a year
sublime is still king

go away pedro

I paid for sublime

butterflies

vscode

retard

Why do people use this shit? Maybe you should edit your code in the terminal, instead of using some slow, non key binding electron junk.

t. used to use sublime then learned vim

well i wouldn't have a problem doing this transition but i have to actually spend non productive time to learn vim. Also any brotips for starting with vim (don't tell me vim tutor)

emacs with vi navigation bindings (no, not viper nor spacemacs)

VSCode is the only real option if you're not a trying to be a l33t h4x0rfag.

Brackets

kys

atom is comfy

I did too. If you were nice I would share my license.

I also like waiting 10 minutes for my text editor to open

time to invest in an SSD and stop using windows

vscode
vscodium for bonus points, it's even with master it just has telemetry removed

Sublime

or just not use a shit-tier electron text editor

nigga why use vscodium when you can just compile vscode yourself? dont tell me you dont have a source based package manager...

Besides vim tutor, which does help:
print out a vim cheatsheet of the movements and hang it somewhere close to your screen
start with gvim, it's move forgiving towards new users
or go overkill and use spacemacs or another combination of evil, which-key and helm

Arch has the botnet free version in it's repos.

>arch
>systemd
if youre trying to avoid one botnet why not try to avoid them all? or at least as many as you can?

>not using paper

Attached: Dntr85wXgAMWMNY.jpg large.jpg (750x731, 38K)

Force yourself not to use the mouse. Use applications that have vim mapping options or plugins. I used mostly vim and qutebrowser to google how to do more complicated tasks in vim and eventually I got good at it. Also read the Practical Vim book

A good amount of the Atom slowness on boot is due to the developers pushing package authors towards transpiling their entire package on installation, with each Atom version bump then transpiling everything again. Atom's failure in general is in their poor handling of third-party packages.

Off the top of my head:
>the flight manual doesn't cover anything useful or give package developers best practices for development
>the developer documentation is either inaccurate or constantly broken, with the entire event system being missing right now
>there are zero example projects provided to package authors for reference
>debugging support is non-existent for packages, with the editor being prone to crashing while attempting to debug

You then go over to VSCode and everything is ten times better from an extension authoring standpoint. The only downside is that the API is more limited, but that gap is narrowing with time. It's no wonder the packages section is essentially a graveyard at this point.

vscode

>Atom (GitHub/Microsoft)
Semi-botnet, but open source
>Sublime
Proprietary, so botnet
>VSC (Microsoft)
Botnet, but open source

Atom and VSC are both okay, but I’ve had better experiences with VSC

rather you didn't

>Atom
Electron

>Sublime
Native

>VSC
Electron

Why do you even need to ask?

My biggest gripe with atom is the lack of built in terminal. The most downloaded (1.7m) terminal package doesn't even work with the pane system so it's stuck on the lower part of the window.

Notepad++

what do you need one for?

Just so I don't have to split screen a terminal and Atom. I have some programs that need command line input

Vim is the best if you are a boomer. VS Code for the rest of us.

Kate

t. brainlet

I like sublime. And to think that a faggot among us got the NSA key for himself.

Pajeet or gamer?

>slow python

Attached: 1507646390307.png (305x297, 172K)

They are all nice

sublime for text editing and vs code for programing

please share it user

Attached: 1519781851875.gif (300x424, 2.56M)

sorry but I’m an actual smart person so I use evil mode

Brackets, IMO.

Sublime isn't electron junk though

Its written in C++. The extensions use Python. Still runs circles around electron shit

Attached: 1539664647313.gif (429x592, 2.8M)

Attached: kakoune_logo_full.png (262x262, 38K)

Wat

I said pajeet or gamer. Learn to read.

Why I would be one of those two?

Because you use wangblows.

>Windows - VSC
>Mac - Atom
Due to laziness I end up using notepad++ and the command line 90% of the time because I'm a glutton for punishment.

Attached: 1520520003975.png (500x775, 416K)

Anybody from /fa/ here? What core is this?

I think the essential part about vim which some tutorials seem to skip over, in favor of quickly "getting practical", is that vim is different from "normal" editors in that it has a bunch of modes that make up for lack of a GUI (and mouse interaction, if you're on some very basic terminal). I'm not sure if there are more but here are the ones that come to mind: normal mode, insert mode, visual mode -- you transition between these modes with a couple key presses.

Insert mode is where you type in text. It's kinda the only mode you see in most editors.

Normal mode is where you navigate around text and do some basic editing, and it's also where you can issue commands like saving a file, quitting, setting configurations, splitting the view into "windows" so you can edit multiple files in a single terminal. Navigating text uses the keys you would normally use for typing, which is why it's necessary that it be done in a different mode, but it's much much faster because there are single keys for skipping over whole words, lines or blocks of code, without ever giving you the need to move your hands around onto the arrow keys or the mouse.

Visual mode is where you select text, and do more advanced editing based on your selection.

What I described above is based on my personal, limited knowledge of vim. If you look around how to do each of these things I mentioned that you can do, you can use my description above as a guide for learning, I guess.

>well i wouldn't have a problem doing this transition but i have to actually spend non productive time to learn vim.
You're on Jow Forums, stop pretending like you have no free time to learn a new skill.

Why would you want a fucking text editor than a fully featured IDE, specified with the computer language you are using? Why make your life harder?

I make shit in python therefore i use Pycharm. It has everything i need. If i want to make programs in other languages ill use the other JetBrains IDEs and make it on that. Anything that's "all-languages-in-one" IDE or text editor if trash.

Attached: download.jpg (225x225, 8K)

>these things are botnets
go ahead and point out the botnet code pls

Vim

How the fuck can something open source be botnet.

emacs with evil

because the binary version they ship is not the same as the public source code.

VSCode
I bought Sublime Text 3 license I was very happy with it until I tried VSCode
much more functional, much more comfy
pity its written in electron, but still better experience than sublime on a decent machine

also pic related, poll from a month ago

Attached: text editors 2018.png (962x930, 53K)

Hello, is this the zoomer thread?

Vscode is BOTNET SPYWARE, how come you don't know?

Unix is my IDE.

Attached: 5434566437235.jpg (207x253, 7K)

Unix was a system in the 70s.
You surly don't use Unix.

Imagine being proud of using an ide

Far out

Absolute retard. Ever heard of Android? It's "open source" aswell.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-11-22-12-29-50.png (720x864, 170K)

Is no one really using jet brains ide? I use phpstorm and it's pretty good

openwashing.org/

gist.github.com/vertexclique/9839383

Autism. I make 230k as a solution designer at Google and I use IDEs

cringe

So you admit that you aren't a programmer.

t. sublimetext dev

All your solutions are shit, sadly.

fpbp

atom fucking piece of shiet
takes time to start
keeps giving inconsistent tabs and spaces error, I have to open gedit or vim
to fix defeats the whole fucking purpose of using it.

Honestly I don't know why people always complain about the upstart time of atom, like how often do you start your editor, when you working on a project?! I is quite long, but you open i once and then it runs, so like what's the deal ...

Code for webshit, pseudolangs (python, ruby,...) or basedboy languages like rust.
For proper langs emacs
>flycheck
>intero
>projectile
>ProofGeneral

>but still better experience than sublime on a decent machine
>needing a decent machine for a text editor
what a day to be alive

Imagine your masculinity being so fragile that you view an IDE as a crutch rather than an invaluable tool.

VS Code has superior plugins, great intellisense out of the box, debugger support, and you can even make the keybindings work like Sublime with an official plugin
Sublime runs circles around both because it's not written in electron, but plugins and all aren't as well integrated as VS Code
Atom I haven't used that much, but it's definitely the slowest of them all

VS Code tries to be an IDE, Sublime is still just a text editor. VS Code is great, but no matter what I always find myself coming back to Sublime, even if it doesn't have all the bells and whistles VS Code does.

IDEs are a crutch, by definition

There is literally no need for an ide outside of windows where you don’t get a decent cli

sublime for quick editing
vs code to work on projects
atom for arduino stuff

Having an editor + documentation + debugger + instruments in one package has huge benefits, lots of these things you can't do with a CLI. GUIs are great.

spacemacs spacemacs spacemacs spacemacs spacemacs spacemacs spacemacs spacemacs spacemacs spacemacs spacemacs spacemacs spacemacs spacemacs spacemacs

What can’t you do exactly? Unix had all those things way before there were any IDEs

VS Code is by far more well made than either of those, and is my daily driver. Emacs is nice too, but I only use it for Linux terminal usage.

>wtf why would you ever use an oven
>Fire can do all these things already
>wtf why would you ever use a computer
>Pencil, paper, books and a curta already have all its features
>wtf why would I ever use a car?
>It literally has LESS features than my legs!
We invent specialized tools for a reason you stupid fuck

For example, in Xcode I can have a stack trace in the navigator, which I can click to jump to that function in code, inline in the editor view I can see the values of variables, or view documentation. I can capture a snapshot of the view hierarchy to debug visually or I can explore the cpu/memory/energy use over time.
And all of this without changing windows or losing any context.

How would a text editor handle this?

schizohomelesscore

Learning a new skill is work and belongs in the workplace. Pure coincidence that learning a new skill is not productive for my company.
Logical conclusion: Learning vim is a waste of time