>Group Buys
Deskthority, Geekhack, Massdrop
>Keyboard wiki
deskthority.net/wiki/Main_Page

Last Thread

Attached: arctos.jpg (3024x4032, 958K)

Other urls found in this thread:

kbdfans.cn/pages/national-day-super-discount
kbdfans.cn/products/coming-soon-kbd67-mechanical-keyboard-diy-kit?variant=20914541068346
canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_273_274&item_id=104059
canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_273_274&item_id=109742
canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_273_274&item_id=094768
canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_273_274&item_id=123492
amazon.ca/GIGABYTE-Mechanical-GK-FORCE-K83-RED/dp/B01BMJ0Y4O/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1542984018&sr=8-1&keywords=Cherry Red
mechanicalkeyboards.com/promotions.php?fbclid=IwAR2lkVpO9UfnQnff_j66luf2dYNHHz13uBJWAB1H8fg601otGQZAxsXzxwg
bestbuy.com/site/steelseries-apex-m750-wired-gaming-mechanical-qx2-switch-keyboard-with-rgb-backlighting-black/6078120.p?skuId=6078120
amazon.com/Cooler-Master-MasterKeys-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B01ITE93U6/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1542993386&sr=1-6&keywords=cooler master masterkeys pro cherry mx red
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I want to get pudding key caps. I heard they're more or less the same and just get chink shit from aliexpress. Can anyone confirm this or do quality pudding caps exist?

Attached: LINE_Nep_Nep_Stickers_Neptune_005.png (512x512, 58K)

Topre.

Browns.

Attached: coupla lights.jpg (1800x1200, 899K)

look at what daddy just got
i wonder if the feel of my new custom keyboard will distract from the feel of having no one to show this picture to

Attached: IMG_0020.jpg (1224x1632, 524K)

V2 memeios? How are they?

no

they're pretty nice and now that i have them i'm glad i didn't end up with clears. exactly what i wanted, really.

i want a duckyshine (no backlight) with blank keycaps and mx brown switches. which one should i get? im guessing im going to have to get a regular duckyshine and replace its current keycaps with blank ones. where do i get the blank keycaps?

how do i disassemble a switch pls respond

should I go for it?

Attached: chinkshitkeyboards.png (1000x730, 91K)

which switch?
is it loose or in a keyboard?
what does the plate look like if you have one?

any
loose
there was an user last thread saying to buy a $27 "DIY Blue switches" keyboard off of amazon and replace the interior components with a better switch but keep the housing or something

$160 for chickshit lmao

keep an eye on kbdfans.cn/pages/national-day-super-discount

Yeah they are.

Attached: rings.jpg (2000x1333, 442K)

Attached: Screenshot_1.png (278x65, 4K)

I can get it down to this
From the normal $190 that it goes for with the metal case I'd say thats a steal.

Attached: 2018-11-23-1542965701.png (637x367, 43K)

>cherry browns
>with o-rings
>mush and scratch at the same time

Attached: 1497128250729.jpg (1200x1178, 285K)

What’s that keycap my dude ? Looks real nice

>Smith third gen
cool
>Remington RP
why

On a scale of 1 to 10 how annoying would it be to mod this particular board to improve NKRO? I know jack shit about how to make a proper matrix with diodes but I'm both eager to learn and to suck cock.

Attached: teclado-mecanico-wyse-cherry-black-adaptador-usb-D_NQ_NP_151405-MLA20861710959_082016-F.jpg (1200x800, 162K)

brainlet here, how do I figure out the typing angle of my current keyboard

But you mispelled Black

Well fuck, I got a Kailh BOX tester and now I can't choose between red and white.

Why did the mechanical keyboard fad turn so quickly into an audiophile-style idiot bait market?

cause mech keyboards have been around for longer than just a year or two you zoomer

What the fuck is arctos.jpg
Did someone make even more meme switches in the like 3 months I didn't lurk?

I use a tenkeyless rantopad mxx with gateron blues i got for $50, feels like ass. Lots of lateral movement

Just bought the glorious PC meme race 104 key for $75 shipped. It's modular with gateron browns, backlit etc, is it going to feel like cheap garbage too? I might swap switches to kalih boxes, dunno the color tho. I want linear and quiet...

>buying a Shine and not using the backlight
Get a One/One 2

Posted this in the other thread, trying to make a layout for programming. Curious if you could suggest some improvements over what I've worked out.

Attached: 1542967789134.png (1211x1286, 74K)

should probably create a bunch of macros for common strings

That would be a good idea, but I'm trying to keep it language agnostic right now. Although if you're getting one of these boards, flashing (or learning to flash) custom QMK firmware shouldn't be too hard.

Wtf box royals are awful to type on... You memed me, /mkg/

I'm thinking about getting this instead. USB c and hotswap. kbdfans.cn/products/coming-soon-kbd67-mechanical-keyboard-diy-kit?variant=20914541068346

UwU quid istud?

Attached: IMG_20181123_1421455.jpg (4056x2704, 2.99M)

>MX tactiles still suck
Is anyone surprised?

I've legit never seen anyone recommend box royals. Not here and not on reddit

They're just pieces of plastic. Make sure they're PBT

This list does.

Top switches
>Box Jades/Navy/Royal switches
>Zilents, zealios(expensive though)
>BKE domes
>Box Hako Royals
>Optical Switches
>Hall Effect Switches
>Buckling Springs (both membrane and capacitive)
>Alps - Blue, Green, Salmon, Orange
>BTC Domes - Budget BKE domes

Any other ones I should add to the list?
>MX Clears
They are above avg, but nowhere near top. Zealios and Clears are night and day.
>Topres
Good, but mushy and honestly not that tactile. The slight bump you feel is at least smooth though.
>Mod-M
Can't hold a handle to Zealios.
>Vintage Blacks
Try Optical Switches and come back to me. Vintage Blacks feel like rubbers now.

>Absolute Garbage Switches
>MX Browns
Do not get these switches at all costs.

You'd basically have to build a brand new PCB

PBT doesn't automatically make caps good. Thin PBT feels like shit compared to thick PBT and even thick ABS.

They're shitty thin PBT and I imagine the legends are awful like tai hao sets. Pudding caps are some of the ugliest caps on they planet, maybe you should be posting on reddit, they really like them there.

How many Mechanical Keyboards do you own?

>tai hao
Was thinking of getting some plain keycaps from tai hao, just for the fun of swapping between my regulars.

>MX
Who the fuck are you meme-ing?

I want to get a 105 key ISO mechanical keyboard (I want the big enter key). Are there any alternatives to WASDkeyboards in the same price point? I live in the EU

Attached: 5830895401_7c70c21d4c.jpg (480x480, 77K)

what the fuck am I supposed to do once I type util/qmk_install.sh ?? There appears a huge list of things and QMK guides don't tell absolutely anything about them

Just 3. An old wyse keyboard and a model F. There's also an old Compaq luggable with foam and foil switches, though some people don't consider them to be mechanical

Box tactile switches still use the same exact method as MX tactiles, which is why they suck

Yes, several in fact. But I won't help you because you can't read properly.

help me get a new keyboard this balck friday, /mkg/

>Budget
$120 CAD
>Location (continent at least)
Canada
>Preferred switch type
Red, or something very close to red
>Form factor
Full
>Backlight
Dont care
>Previous/current keyboards
DAS Division Zero X40 (Huge piece of shit im typing on now)
CM Quickfire rapid (Great keyboard, dont use it anymore because blue keys are too loud)

In an rgb keyboard would it be hard to throw out their shitty rgb driver and use a constant current supply and just one color so that i don't have to deal with the annoying frequency tearing?
i thought it was just my cheapo rgb keyboard but i had a chance to see high end rgb keyboards in a store today and they all have this problem.
normally it's fine since most people are eyelets and don't see it, but it makes my eyes hurt.
and ironically they don't make the keyboards i like in non rgb versions

tnx senpai

here
Is this any good?
canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_273_274&item_id=104059
or
canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_273_274&item_id=109742

tfw no topre on sale

All backlit keyboards are like that, which is why I don't use them. The Ducky shine 5/6/7 keyboards use a separate PCB for their RGB LEDs meaning you can easily modify it without having to desolder the entire keyboard.

Even the non-RGB boards likely use PWM for brightness adjustment anyway.

Cooler Master is having a massive black Friday sale, so pick up another one
canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_273_274&item_id=094768

>Out of stock
>at (All Locations)

I just refreshed the page and your right. I kinda wanted it, oh well.

Check out this then
canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_273_274&item_id=123492

Thats better than these?

Build quality is about the same, but the cooler master has much smoother gateron switches and better software to program the RGB LEDs

Jesus Christ installing QMK on Windows is a fucking mess!!!
Remind me to switch to Linux the next time

Install Gentoo.

for sure I'll do it next time
also is it normal that qmk_firmware requires like almost 1 GB to install all the needed components?

Don't know I use a different open source firmware.

np thank you for your support anyways

True but there is a very large difference between rgb and solid color keybaords.
In rgb each led must be pwmed separately, so the led driver is split into about 124 channels one for each key and can only pulse them relatively slow.
In a single color keyboard all keys are pules by one channel which can then happily pulse at a 100x faster frequency than rgb making it impossible for human eyes to see shit.

One thing i am wondering about is, since rgbs have 3 colors in each key, using pwm to blink each color to mix the resulted color, if i set a color for the keyboard that corresponds to the exact color of the diode (so pure red, or gree or blue) then the duty cycle can be 100%or close to it and therefore no visible blinking will happen

terrorist

Hey if you wanna do that then get an old shine 5 off ebay and tool around with it.

Brainlet here. Does Gigabyte make decent keyboards? Less than $60 CAD for a MX Red keyboard seems like a steal
amazon.ca/GIGABYTE-Mechanical-GK-FORCE-K83-RED/dp/B01BMJ0Y4O/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1542984018&sr=8-1&keywords=Cherry Red

The price is low because it has no backlight and therefore is trash

Attached: Thisisbait.jpg (307x307, 19K)

>tfw you succesfully flash your first custom keyboard

Attached: e2b.png (622x411, 597K)

About to pay $35 more just to have RGB lightning instead of red only on my new keyboard

Attached: 1540103172037.gif (320x514, 3.59M)

it must be nice to be a millenial

user time to clean the keyboard, i see little mountains of bacteria shit and their corpses

seething boomer

Hi /gee/ i have a board that I've had for like 10 year with MX browns and I'm tired of that slight scratch and tiny bump. I want something that feels solid, old, and goes THUNK under my fingers. What do I get? Topre?

>gee

What are you getting user?
mechanicalkeyboards.com/promotions.php?fbclid=IwAR2lkVpO9UfnQnff_j66luf2dYNHHz13uBJWAB1H8fg601otGQZAxsXzxwg

Attached: Owned.jpg (349x361, 95K)

How do we feel about this piece of shit?
bestbuy.com/site/steelseries-apex-m750-wired-gaming-mechanical-qx2-switch-keyboard-with-rgb-backlighting-black/6078120.p?skuId=6078120

why would I not want the shortest travel possible?
why would I not want the activation point a hair above bottoming out?

>>

>why would I not want the shortest travel possible?
do you enjoy chiclet switches? think about that and you can probably find the answer

If you can come up with a way to dim a LED (and not drive it above spec for higher brightness) you'd be a rich man.

Yeah, as long as the duty cycle is 100% you're golden. However if you want to dim without replacing the LEDs with a dimmer version you're going to need to physically obstruct the LEDs. Also you can do any combo of 100% brightness on a channel. Another thing you could do is get your multimeter out and measure the draw from each LED, if you set them to max brightness you could desolder the LEDs and bodge in a alternative light package that can operate on whatever it's supplying.

Any sort of OSS worth a damn is hard af to get running on WIndows. Best bet is to just use Linux or MacOS.

Yeah, you're installing a whole compiler chain, include, binutils the whole 9. I already had a good chunk of the stuff installed from fucking with AVRs, so it was pretty minimal.

Shoutout to my Choc niggas. Let me know if you want some prerelease MX LPs. There's a Canacuck selling them on Reddit with a board for 200$

>do you enjoy chiclet switches?
never even tried them. however, i have imagined that a mechanical chiclet may not be so bad

>If you can come up with a way to dim a LED
photo industry LED lights somehow dim LEDs without PWM. I dont know how they do it, but they do it
I mean honestly, you could simply use a linear variable voltage regulator. not the most efficient, but good enough, especially since a keyboard isnt battery powered and LEDs are low enough powered as it is

what keyboard

b.face with that extra acrylic thing to tent it

What is QMK

A FOSS firmware for keyboards that the DIY crew is using for dank shit like layers, custom keymaps, mouse keys and hooking your board up to a goddamn thermal printer.

Oh, and there's a Vim mode.

checked
just get a model M

>esolder the LEDs and bodge in a alternative light package that can operate on whatever it's supplying.
that is way too much work to put into a $50 keyboard, honestly i will just try to fuck around with the color settings in the manager and see if i can get some good duty cycle color going and the second and last upgrade i will do is to order doubleshot pbt keycaps for $3 and be done with it.
Like seriously if chinks can send me and entire double cast pbt set for $3 with free shipping, what in the fuck was manufacturer thinking when using gay ass abs

amazon.com/Cooler-Master-MasterKeys-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B01ITE93U6/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1542993386&sr=1-6&keywords=cooler master masterkeys pro cherry mx red
Thoughts on this keyboard /mkg/? It would be my first mechanical, I'm worried about build quality and potentially the height (I've only ever used very flat membrane keyboards and I don't want to injure my wrist) but I have no idea how this keyboard compares to others. I'm also considering a Ducky One 2, but the keyboard I linked is already stretching my budget.

where are you buying 3$ keycap sets

Forgot to mention my only complaint about the Ducky is that I can't seem to find one that's full sized, backlit (color doesn't matter in the slightest), and uses red switches. It's always missing one of those aspects.

dont get a ducky, i spent $150 on one and it was impossible to clean, the Coolermaster is a much better choice.