Ask boomer for career advice

>ask boomer for career advice
>”you’re young and have no family so you should travel the world and work at startups or tech companies like Google or Facebook!”
>mfw rejected from all the 46 startups i applied to over the past 1 month
>mfw most were for unpaid internships

Attached: E36D94C4-7F7E-45D9-8470-C34B2B990774.jpg (500x500, 59K)

Other urls found in this thread:

phdcomics.com/comics/archive.php?comicid=1086
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>applying for unpaid internships
do they get to fuck your girlfriend too as part of the package?

I dont’r have a girlfriend

>applying to literal slavery
absolute state

what were your qualifications?

>you’re young and have no family so...

Fuck these "advices". First you believe that all the time in the world is yours to toy with and waste and then suddenly you're in your mid/late 20s with fuck all accomplished.

PhD in Physics
I have experience in C/C++ and Java

>PhD
You should be applying for either postdoctoral research positions, or assistant professorships.

that's why they didn't hire you

I don't want to stay in academia.

boomers never had to compete against 800 other applicants for a position

Be that as it may, that's what you're most qualified for right now. Were I you, I'd get going with academia to have some actual work, then look into what I'd need to do to change into another field on the side. It's not like you can never switch careers, it's just hard to do.

>have to apply online
>have to write a personalized cover letter
>half the jobs require an account with some shitty fucking webportal
>refilling the same fields over and over
>answering behavioral questions
>don't even hear back if they're not interested

Attached: 1516404321860.png (720x539, 492K)

>apply to dozens of pages
>none of them even had the common decency of sending a rejection letter

Attached: 1533525232880.jpg (229x343, 12K)

>Jow Forums - cuck runner faggots crying about "muh job"

It's all conditioning so whoever gets the position keeps their head down, afraid to ask for more

This

Attached: ARGGG.jpg (600x438, 33K)

>he actually fell for the college meme
having useful skills is more than enough to get bombarded with job offers

Learn sql, statistics and Python and pivot to data science.

Why don't you ever post facts to back this up. College graduates on average earn double non college grads in the usa.

The best jobs go to the best people, and college is the way of determining whose best at a young age. Anyone can learn these "useful skills", and hence it doesn't put you ahead of many people, hence the "college is a meme" meme is clearly false if you ever bother looking up the facts.

If you go to stanford (extreme example), it shows you can do something 99.5%+ of the population can't do, and marks you out as exceptional. Graduate from a great college and you've beat out 95%, graduate from a good one and you've beat about 85%

The only time college could be a meme is if you're truly exceptional and can actually prove it, e.g. you founded a million dollar company. Otherwise you're just the same as everyone else and will get paid approrpriately.

yeah that's why none of you can find jobs
you are all monkey with no actual skills besides being able to write hello world programs in c

Literally just lying lol. Post facts to back up your opinion or it stays that, just an opinion (or more accurately dropout/brainlet cope)

Attached: dod_education.png (640x433, 93K)

Try being good

Welcome in the new world, where you're required to study math & physics to get a minimum wage call-center entry job.

I have a degree in CS and couldn't find work, went back to school and got a BA in nursing and now find work at the drop of a hat

I met someone at a Microsoft interview with the same shit.

damn, avg $16.5/hr is with lower than a HS diploma?

The tech market is a literal pile of shit. I'm kinda glad I have kept it as a hobby rather than trying to pursue it as a career (maybe through my work I'll be able to get into a job later due to connections).
A simple fact is that the hubs of tech activity are swamped in skilled workers, so they can pick and chose. Contacts will do the most good if you want to still get in, but otherwise you're better off moving somewhere bumbfuck where they don't have many skilled workers, the work isn't as exciting, but there's still stuff they need to do. You'll trade conveniences, but you may land a good gig.

>mfw im earning half the mean for my bachelor's degree
And I'm fairly happy.

Be an assistant. Talked to my buddy yesterday over dinner, said they're paying his fucking assistant $75k/yr to answer a phone and fill in calendar shit-- and she has trouble with the calendar shit. There are literally minimum wage tier jobs, paying $75k/yr...

It's incredible.

lower cost of living helps too

>she
no fucking surprise there

Ask a different boomer? Never mind, you're doomed aren't you, I can see it now. Oh well. At least you tried. Or pretended to. For about 10 seconds.

t. boomer

I bet she's attractive and has nice tits.

nice anecdote to fan the flames of Jow Forums

>gets a PhD in physics
>doesn't want to be in academia
That was your first mistake

It's unironically correct though. Having a wife and children is the biggest waste of time ever. You can go so much further in your career and make so much more money without that baggage. Not only because you have more time, but because you're more free to take risks and move around for work.

Marriage is a gigantic scam.

Making money isn't the end all be all of humanity, wagecuck. Not everyone needs to take risks to make 6 figs either.

Just work at a respectable MSP or MSSP. Then after u get your skills up then you can get better job. I went from making $29K to $55K in 2 years or so. Next year I'm going for a SoC position and hopefully be making $65K+

You're fucking stupid. I met so many scrubs with Masters in *Insert any tech degree here*. A degree is semi important if you want to make more then $80K a year. It's more important just getting a job at any shitty startup to get experience then going to college and learning shit that won't apply to future jobs

>mfw most were for unpaid internships
Holy fuck, man. If you get rejected from these, I don't think there's any hope for you.

>I went from making $29K to $55K
So you got promoted from a cashier to a manager?

OK, wait. It could be because you're overqualified, at least in the eyes of the company. Do you have projects built? If not, this is your mistake.

How does an internship work anyway? I have a full time job, go to school full time, and I'm supposed to go to a third job for no pay on top of that?

Attached: 20181123_095255-01.jpg (1466x2234, 798K)

>I have a full time job, go to school full time
No you don't

And an internship is usually a paid part time job that goes along with your schooling. Unpaid internships are considered predatory in stem fields and students are frequently encouraged to not take them.

I do, kid. I'm and adult going back to college to get out of this low wage hell

>tfw forced to take an internship to finish my degree
>lasts 6 months
>paid $600 a month
oh boy

>I'm and adult going back to college
That may be, but you aren't going back to college full time while also having a full time job. What are your working hours and how many credit hours are you taking?

>If you go to stanford (extreme example), it shows you can do something 99.5%+ of the population can't do
Completely false. It shows that you come from a prestigious family, and were set up for success as soon as you were born. 99%(at least a very high percentage), of students from top-tier universities were born into extremely wealthy families.

There was a study done recently, and I believe other universities without the prestige are going to hold up against these schools, now that they're going to consider the poor kid who goes to some low quality school, and succeeds, just as much as the wealthy kid who goes to top-tier school and is, by no surprise, successful. I wish I could find this study. I'm looking for it now.

Also, why in the world is everyone always concerned about jobs? This really infuriates me. Do yourself a favor and look up the amount of physical dollars floating around. Now, all you have to do is get people to give you their dollars. Some routes you take are going to be more difficult than others. For instance, if you're selling a service, such as software, you're going to have a tough time. Carpentry, painting, etc. usually sell really well. You can frame a bathroom and hang drywall for $5,000. It will take you 1-2 days. "I think a tile wall here would look amazing", the homeowner agrees, now you've got another $3-5,000.

What do you do with this money? You invest. Don't fall for the "buy a house, have a family, kids, die" meme. Do this, of course, but not yet. If you're looking for property, look for double houses, or more. They're about the same price as many single houses. But guess what? You don't pay for it, because you have Andy living in the other unit, paying you rent every month. He's paying $1,000. Your house payment is $300. You have $700 a month for doing shit.

Don't stop there. Generate as many sources of income as you can. Learn skills. Not just one, i.e. programming.

Cont.

Normies have no idea what they job market for tech is like even though they work retard jobs like fucking accounting

>ask boomer for career advice
Boomers are complete stuck up idiots, so that's where you fucked up.

>You can frame a bathroom and hang drywall for $5,000. It will take you 1-2 days

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

2/2

Just needed to add that I'm a highschool drop and grew up poor as dirt. I'm now 25, and I can guarantee I make more money than a good majority of the people all of you know. I'm not writing this to brag(for fucks sake, I'm anonymous), but to give others advice for the way out of poverty. I went on a rant because of the "you need school and a job" mindset that I absolutely hate.

Can't get a job in software? Create your own fucking company. You put those "unpaid internships" out there. Grow your company. Stop thinking inside the box.

What is so funny? Are you laughing at the work(i.e. physical labor)?

meanwhile im a retard with no cs degree making big bucks
stay cucked friend

Attached: 543654765476.jpg (1280x720, 144K)

Or the 1-2 days?
I fucked up. 5 days at most, with spackle/sanding.

I want to know how you're going to do that in 1-2 days by yourself

do you even have the money to travel the world? unless you go to some
third-world shithole, the cost of living in a developed country is most likely
comparable to the cost of living in all other developed countries
i.e. expensive as fuck.

all of the posts on Jow Forums that i read about people having a very hard time
finding tech related jobs makes the job market for tech seem pretty grim.
computer technology is my only area of expertise, without it i am practically
useless. fuck me.

>all of the posts on Jow Forums that i read about people having a very hard time
>finding tech related jobs makes the job market for tech seem pretty grim.
>computer technology is my only area of expertise, without it i am practically
>useless. fuck me.
I didn't have a hard time finding a job, just don't be a fucking mongoloid who cruises through college with a

>all you have to do is get people to give you their dollars it's easy bro
>you can renovate a house by yourself bro it's easy lol
>just create your own fucking company bro it's easy lol
>let me use myself as anecdotal evidence to show you that you can easily make more without a degree than with one
>i totally make more money than you btw haha poorfags suck it
You didn't really have to tell us that you are a high school dropout since it was clear from the first post.

I never said it was easy. It's hard as fuck, and absolutely stressful. Not everyone can do it, which is why not everyone is financially comfortable.
>i totally make more money than you btw haha poorfags suck it
I didn't mean to sound arrogant, if I did, I apologize. By all means, if you want a degree and a job, go for it. My friend's mom(accountant), is still paying her student loans. She's in her 40s.

Haha! I was on the PhD path, until we got pregnant. Had to do the right thing, and ended up becoming a licensed electrician.
I clear 150 a year.

Taking risks is the whole point of life and its the most anti-wageslaving pill ever

Attached: 1542875089162.png (1098x618, 719K)

>PhD in Physics
That is a good qualification for applying for a job as a patent attorney (trainee) or patent examiner. Which country?

.Patent attorney with PhD in Physics

I have been there. Academia has turned into a dog eat dog-world that is so over-competitive that people resort to falsifications. Just look up Retraction Watch to see the fallout. Also really badly paid. And it takes many years to get tenure. Even if you win a rat race you are still a rat.

Most post docs are so badly paid they have no family. Few things are more expensive then a GF and females desire males with disposable income.

I make 135k salary for sitting on a computer making programs.

I think I'm at the top of my game with my resume and cover letters, not expecting anything special to happen though, I tend to blow my interviews

Do I really bring in larger paychecks doing construction than someone with a fucking doctorate degree?

No.

The people with a doctoral degree fall in one of two groups
- academia with low pay especially if you are a post doc. Only at the professor level are you getting well paid but that is a long journey
- industry, where they are paid well.
Trouble is, academia is so full of low paid post docs that the average is dragged down.

phdcomics.com/comics/archive.php?comicid=1086

I'm 28 now and this post depresses me. If I had the state of mind now that I did when I was 20 I could have had a different life. But my 20's were filled with retarded bullshit that I guess was necessary to learn from and get where I am today, which is nowhere but at least I have that improved state of mind. I was completely unconscious/automatic/reactive and now I feel more like a genuinely conscious being

Attached: 21bg3e.jpg (385x399, 13K)

Figures. I wouldn't want to do construction my whole life (although it's fun).

*if I had the state of mind when I was 20 that I do now

>phd in physics
>wants to be a techslave
Startups seem like fucking terrible places to work, and so does google/facebook unless you actually have some skills and pull to get to a position where you're not just eating shit.

Yeah, it might be cool to work at google, but a lot of fucking people work at google. They use their image to get people to work shitty hours on boring tasks. As someone with a physics background, software development is not nearly as engaging, hard, or interesting. Most of it is mostly pasting end A to end B and putting it in service C and not writing terrible fucking code. Even if you did your phd in some absolutely meme subject you should be able to land a cushy job at a big company that understands the value of a phd.

>21 years old
>literally never had a job before
>3rd year electrical engineering, going to be 4th year next semester
>shit gpa (2.7)

Going to try applying for internships starting in January for the summer. Give me the best tips you got.

Attached: we_run_ads.webm (640x720, 2.47M)

see That's exactly what my post was about. It's insane how at 20 you genuinely think there's some almost eternal fuckhuge gap between you and your future.

>tfw also fell for this meme

There's always the Air Force if you meet the physical and age requirements. Space is in flux right now and they can use smart folks to figure things out. Granted I suspect you thought that PhD would translate into instant riches....but the world doesn't work that way.

Attached: 1533840301165.gif (600x600, 1.29M)

24 with no job experience and shit gpa (2.2)

Startups after the first ~year and a half are the best place to work at. Unlike big companies, you can actually move around and get promoted. Unlike brand-new ventures, your paycheck is almost definitely coming. Like a new startup, hours and expectations are flexible so long as you hit the goals. Usually, salaries are comparable to that of large companies as well, unless you are in sv.

prepare to suffer

fuck off zoomer

Can you blame us for trying to free up a few jobs for ourselves? We graduated into the 2008 recession where literally no new jobs formed for half a decade. We don't need legitimate employers being flooded with a bunch of young blood without significant gaps in their resume whining that getting a job is hard because you have to apply a lot of places and actually demonstrate your capabilities.

The good news is that companies don't care about your GPA if you have internships related to the field of expertise they are looking for. The bad news is that if you have a bad GPA you will have to convince the companies you are trying to intern for that you have brain and drive, especially if yu want those internships that can give you valuable experience.

So you will want to have your resumee and interview game on point. Long story short - you make the resumee look good according to your local resumee standrads, drop a few keywords they want to hear AND back them up with experience. The interview is all about establishing a personal relationship all while playing the interview game. Look it up online or go to your local college career service for advice.

Also work part time as a working student or intern during the semester if you can. Companies seems to be very impressed by this because it makes you look hard working and organized.

>t. 27 yo germanfag slacker finishing up his bachelor's with avergae GPA in EE this semster, already working full time as Junior Production Engineer in Embedded for a local company that I had worked for as a working student before

Tbh I have never studied too much for the degree and once I discovered I had actually enough spare time to be a working student and gather professional experience + a little bit of money on the side I have never lokked back.

>understands the value of a phd
It's literally none for non-research positions.

i barely managed to get my bachelors in cyber security. did one internship in a startup and never did regret anything more. who the hell needs foosball or fruits as a compensation for salary, wtf?
after that i wrote 3 applications to global players and got 3 contracts at the end. honestly fuck startups and all those suckerbergs

>licensed electrician.
>I clear 150 a year.
why is Jow Forums so full of successful people wtf

Attached: Screenshot_2018-11-23 How Much Can a Electrician Expect to Get Paid .png (644x388, 25K)

There are a lot of good start-ups out there, actually. The economy is actually very amenable to speculative tech investments. And whether you like the idea or not, those jobs certainly exist. Not all of them are hipster slackers looking for a free ride and not having to pay anyone. You just have to have an eye for the good ones and the bad ones. If you want REALLY competitive salary, then a start-up's going to be no good, but if you're willing to take a 10-15% pay cut for a young, non-bureaucratized company that you can have a lot of influence on based on your individual ability, a carefully-selected Start Up can be a fine choice.

> cyber security
> how to install and update kaspersky

I wouldn't hire some retard tech illiterate iFaggot for my startup either.

Attached: 1527190258202.png (1357x1281, 1.93M)

They're all larping.

My company employs several phds , because the core of the system requires a phd level of knowledge in optimization. Sure, you could probably get by with a masters if you're good, but there's certainly jobs for phds out there.

40 hours work a week
16 credit hours school, 12 considered full time

Not to mention apprentice takes as long as college if not longer

LARPing is part of the NEET cope strategy.

Wrong. See In some countries a large part of patent attorneys have a a PhD. Examiners at the EPO also do, I hear it is about 30 percent. And 100,000 Euro per year, tax free, isn't too shabby.

Mind you, your boss might have graduated into the 1987 financial implosion that ended the yuppie era the way dinosaurs were deleted. And the job market didn't recover much until 1995 or thereabout.

Successful liars, more like it.

Is the whole meme of "being a minority guarantees employment" true or just a meme that only applies to Big Tech?

How do they stay employed?

How does big tech not go out of business from anti-meritocratic hiring practices and rampant cronyism?

Attached: Thonk crush.gif (375x375, 1.39M)

where do you live?

im sure there is a local startup hub that has opportunities

It always reminds of the attached picture.

Attached: provisional life.jpg (600x3031, 182K)

As long as the burden of ideological facade doesn't outweigh actually competent people who aren't clowns and do the real work it will last.