What are some counter-arguments against a Right to Repair law?

What are some counter-arguments against a Right to Repair law?

Attached: phone.jpg (950x534, 70K)

Other urls found in this thread:

techradar.com/news/apple-software-reportedly-bricks-third-party-macbook-pro-repairs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

counterfeit parts
and unlicensed shops will violate your privacy and snoop through your files

Corporations can afford to bribe politicians and pay for better lawyers so it will never happen is pretty much the only one I can think of.

>unlicensed shops will violate your privacy and snoop through your files

whats to stop licensed shop workers from doing this as well?

Compare these terms:
>1. It is illegal to repair this device in shops other than ours.
>2. Even though ours are very expensive due to the monopoly we have.
Against these:
>1. If you don't use our services, you void your warranty.
>2. We cannot guarantee your safety when using unlicensed shops.

I think the second pair is better for the consumer, having the option to use cheaper unlicensed shops or DIY, while still being able to use the licensed shops that will be forced to bring their costs down.

Attached: 2018-10-11-pravica-do-popravila-91785[1].jpg (1049x733, 52K)

Illegal combinations of atoms being placed in between proprietary spaces.

the lack of snooping license

Nothing. The guy was a tad bit retarded on that point. Also Apple was caught using counterfeit parts itself, or rather cheap fab, in order to "repair" people's shit. Another point he failed at.

None. Imagine if cars didn't have parts being made by millions of brands and couldn't be repaired everywhere, that's how stupid Apple and its repair policies sound.

>Nothing
>he thinks that criminal willing to perform unlicensed repair will stop at it and won't go onto unlicensed snooping
this naivete is exactly the result of good trustworthy companies like apple having almost monopoly on repairs - that's why you don't even know what the real world full of evil people is like

Good analogy.

>he thinks that criminal willing to perform unlicensed repair will stop at it and won't go onto unlicensed snooping
No. I know that licensed Apple repairpeople were caught doing the same thing, which is not a matter of belief but documented history.
I mean, if you are gonna do word play and attempt to shift narratives, at least be a bit more intelligent with it, you get dumber with each post.

Companies who work with highly repairable products could be an alternative since there's niche for that, the problem is that I don't remember a sigle company who does that.

Attached: repairable.jpg (500x454, 55K)

>matter of belief but documented history
matter of fake news more like!

Eastern European here, and in the 1990s when we were switching from USSR to western cars, this problem was a bane for all the used cars owners. Which was most, since buying a new car wasn't affordable.
Special parts and instruments were hard to come by, even bolts and screwdrivers weren't standardized, and you needed a different toolkit for every manufacturer. Very punishing for a country with DIY culture in automobiles.

Fake news as officially admitted to be true from Apple's own mouth? Funny little soi.

meant for

Attached: car repair.jpg (4128x3096, 1.75M)

It's antisemitic

In the electronics technology market, things tend to be very small and tightly packed in their frame. This makes it difficult to manufacture them to also be modular and easily repairable and with replaceable parts. You'd end up with a more expensive product that performs worse. It wouldn't sell.

How would that bring infinite growth?

I assume you mean the problems you describe were with the cars from Western manufacturers.
Understand that in the West, the goal is not to make good products that last, but to extract as much money from the customer (chump) over time as possible, by any means necessary. Sleazy.

Should have stayed with the old Soviet AK-47 idea:
- simple
- minimal
- loose tolerances
- cheap to mass produce
- above all, "just works".

Someone can cause serious injury to themselves if an untrained repair is attempted.

Improves the gene pool.

Fuck off, Capitalist piggie.

Commie products were shit by and large and had much less sophisticated technology than Western stuff.

t. Estonian

That is a made up "right". What do you want to do? Force manufacturers to keep warranties even if customers tinker with the products?
As far as I know it is not "illegal" to repair anything. You just void warranties. And that is your problem.
It is your choice if you choose a manufacturer that is unfair and actively implanting scam-tier warranty policies. So stop being a mongoloid and don't buy from them. You don't have a fucking birthright to dickwave an iPhone around.

Intellectual property

So you want to make a law to protect the retards who buy Apple's trash?

you know you can attempt a repair without a "right to repair", right? the right only prevents the manufacturer from actively sabotaging repair attempts.

Metal windscreen wipers were objectively superior to shitty plastic ones though. And I don't know what they used to put in the rubber, compared to what they put now, but they didn't need to be replaced as often. Or maybe the cleaning liquid is eating them up now?

lol wut... if you make the repairs legal, he's no longer a criminal.

>cheap to mass produce
>above all, "just works"

Know how I know you never used an eastern-European or Soviet product in your life?
We had a word for domestic products, "DoDo," aka "dodělej doma." It means "finish it yourself at home" and it should tell you something about the way they "just worked" out of the box and how much maintenance they required.
Profit driven corporations might suck a dick sometimes, but it's still infinitely better than when your economy and factories are run by ideologists who are LARPing the works of a German philosopher who adored the idea of a "worker" without ever touching work in his life.

its antisemitic

>As far as I know it is not "illegal" to repair anything. You just void warranties.
techradar.com/news/apple-software-reportedly-bricks-third-party-macbook-pro-repairs

But if I repair it, I'll know if I used counterfeit parts or if I did unlicensed snooping on my design. This is something you can acknowledge, correct?

What are you implying? That is not a policy of illegality, by any definition.
On the other hand, it is terrible anyway. I wish to see Apple disappear, if you have any doubts.
But making a law to prevent these things? Nope. That never ends well. And I have no sympathy for people who buy Apple products. Most of them deserve the shit they get. And they keep buying.
Are we adults or children who need to be prevented from scamming themselves? For fuck's sake...

I still remember the ghetto home made metal arc welder with the two coils of garbage copper that my dad made. It would literally jump in place when you touch the metal and make noises like they use in sci-fi to indicate something is about to blow up.

There was a policy of legality that forbade Apple from doing this. It was removed after Apple lobbied against it.
So there is no "law forbidding you from repairing your shit", but there used to be a law forbidding the manufacturer from actively sabotaging you, and that was removed.

Its practically the same thing, executed differently in legal terms.

>That is not a policy of illegality
it should be though. what right does Applel have to willfully make your property unusable to you? can the construction company of your house lock you out if you hire somebody else for repairs? I don't think so.

john deere case, look it up

where should I leak my collection of service manuals to?

he was talking about AK-47's good features, not commie products on the whole.

Pole or Czech?

>counterfeit parts
they need to shut down AutoZone, they're selling counterfeit parts!

Attached: apple_enthusiast.jpg (780x539, 84K)

>counterfeit parts
That's its own separate issue.
>unlicensed shops will violate your privacy and snoop through your files
Separate issue again, and besides, the consumers can actually protect themselves against this in most cases. I mean I don't really expect the average consumer to actually encrypt their drives, but the option is there. As for phones, most of them nowadays have good enough security to prevent some random repair dude from just snooping through the user's files in their free time.

It's more regulation. Regulation makes it harder to start a new business and favors existing players who have the money and the lawyers to prove compliance. See also: GDPR.

The AK-47's advantages were limited to a very small percentage of goods manufactured by the Soviet Union. Most of these were for military use.

MAGgot faggot detected.

>See also: GDPR.
I think GDPR goes kind of overboard with the regulation but you can't deny that something had to be done because web devs were doing the figurative equivalent of a utility company putting lead in the water supply.

where dump service manuals?

GDPR absolutely fucked the old players though.

t. Someone who was part of a GDPR compliance effort that lasted ~year to finish. We still can't get all the information to the customer without a lot of manual labor because of all the legacy systems and how the data is spread over different systems after acquiring competitors and their systems. Our compliance relies on providing the customers with as much information as possible and hoping they don't actually request all their information. And if they do we call them and ask if they really want all their information or something specific.

The new players who have all their shit nicely in one system could breeze through the GDPR requirements.

Also GDPR was needed and I say this as a web dev.

Prohibiting repairs would result in more profits for the manufacturer.

>>and unlicensed shops will violate your privacy and snoop through your files
>be me
>bring fathers broken mbp to licensed shop
>get asked for password
>tell them to fuck off
>they get mad and say they mightn't be able to fully help us
>tell them to do their best

The second pair of terms is how the state of the world is today, without any right-to-repair laws.
Right-to-repair eliminates the warranty voiding sticker (already happened) and eliminates the idea that you void your warranty *just* because you went to a third party shop. Your warranty is only void when the manufacturer can provide proof that the device was further damaged by a third party shop, i.e. through a botched chip replacement or burn marks from placing a board in the oven.