Is Docker the best thing that happened in IT this decade?

Is Docker the best thing that happened in IT this decade?

Attached: docker-official.png (1200x1007, 87K)

Alpine

this

>Alpine
is docker what made alpine popular?

Attached: docker_lifecycle.png (1129x575, 60K)

Made a docker image with texstudio and everything latex in it and upload on git somewhere.
Every time I have to edit tex files I just use that container instead of managing 2000+ packages.
Feels good man.

lxd

Either Docker or distributed/elastic databases. The two in combination enable DA KLOWD to provide incredible fault tolerance, scalability, etc.

It's reasonable enough, but I'd have preferred a rkt-like design with less nonsense attached to win.

I guess that works, but an Appimage of it would ultimately be even easier.

It's reasonably fair to say this, yes.

That said, Alpine was good before docker. Just not as popular.

NEET here, but why should I consider Docker over Vagrant?

Why should you consider Vagrant instead of Appimages?

Because they're also different tools and the individual situation may make it a choice of "both" rather than just "one or the other".

Borg is, which inspired Docker.

Also this just in: my dick.

Can someone explain in brainlet terms what docker is?

what exactly does Docker do? Isnt it just something to replace virtualization of operating systems?

Docker is something like virtual machines without the OS - just the software in a container [isolated and instantiable as many times in as many configurations and versions as you want].

Which is typically what people very often used fatter VMs for before Docker came along anyhow, the whole purpose was just to run this one software in isolation multiple times. But the whole OS on top causes management issues and resource usage.

aren't you supposed to run docker on a type 1 hypervisor though? What batshit tards do you know runnning them with a OS on top?

>Docker is something like virtual machines without the OS
>docker image contains an OS

What is vagrant? I'm building IIS shit with Packer scripts and every example references vagrant

> docker image contains an OS
Can, but doesn't have to.

Uh, google.

>aren't you supposed to run docker on a type 1 hypervisor though?
Nah. If you got a good type-2 hypervisor like real Linux stuff, you generally don't feel like using a type-1 'cause what's the difference other than poorer flexibility?

Attached: 520px-Docker-linux-interfaces.svg.png (520x480, 29K)

>the state of version control is so shit we need things like docker to keep things working
>best thing to happen

congratulations using us government sponsored code that has vulnerabilities left and right.

if you need the containers just use a virtialbox. Unix vortials boot in like 5 seconds execute with native speed under linux (say thanks intel+nsa aka Intel ME) and provide better containerization

My Docker containers couldn't get network when installed as a vm on esxi so in the trash it went.

Vagrant takes forever to spin up and uses more resources

is docker swarm good choice for deploying systems?
or should i stick the good ole vm painstakingly manually configured for clustering

What are you trying to deploy and where?

poorer flexibility is what it is.

OP is a nigger webdev

yes, no matter what NEETs and GNUtards tell you, containers are the greatest development innovation of our generation thanks to linux kernel not docker

I dont understand what is docker for.
All packages i can install om existing system.
Why i need to use this shit?
Also it is unsecure.

docker is useful. definitely not the best thing that's happened. if anything docker jumped the gun and prematurely made a somewhat broken containerization solution. it will be replaced as time goes on. it has been useful though since it works well enough to duplicate standard lamp stacks

it's for system administrators. it's not supposed to be secure, or, at least, any security it pretends to have is a total joke. it makes devops easier, especially when used with other tools that automate it

Imagine being this much of a brainlet

>All packages i can install om existing system.
And how many instances of each server daemon are you running in how many versions on how many machines?

How well does your scheme allow you to move load between machines?

Is it similar to freeBSD jails?

Isn't this just like flatpak and snapd?

no it's gay

ok so, to people who haven't had a job at a big company

Before Docker:

>be developer
>write software
>time to release!
>write 5 page word document explaining to some moron sysadmin what they need to do in order to install your shit on the production server
>have to tell him what apache/IIS settings need to be turned on
>have to give a detailed explanation of how to set up the database, provide init querries, all the packages, runtime enviroments etc etc etc.
>finally, provide access to binaries
>release takes about a week because there's always this one server setting sysadmin forgot to turn on

After Docker
>be developer
>write software, with docker
>time to release!
>give bacpac file to sysadmin, tell him to import it
>give docker image to sysadmin, tell him to start it up
>release is over, if it ran on your machine with docker it runs on production and all the sysadmin has to do is attach proper urls, and configure the db connection

I never used docker nor virtualenv.
The closest thing I have are complete virtual machines dedicated to certain projects.

so it’s an abstract kind of bloat machine?

more like

>be developer
>write software
>fail code review because you refuse to properly comment your code
>re-write, not with witty comments
>fail again because even non-dev can spot your memory leak shit code
>re-write it again, somehow manage to get it through code review
>fail testing because you fucked up your config file
>"but it worked at my desk!"
>release shit-code in test environment, 16 cores running at 99% because shit code
>find the problem after two weeks at your desk
>explain the problem in CAB, get approval for your change
>run again in test environment, looks like it might work
>write out deployment guide but it's completely unusable because you're a dev,
>IT guy has you deploy it while he watches and takes notes
>IT guy has written a proper deployment guide for your software and commits it to change control
>software deployed in test environment then stress tested. Starts to choke when network activity ramps up.
>Config unusable by normal humans because JSON instead of simple config. FFS even XML would have been better than this shit.
>management growing impatient, fingers are pointing at you for your incompetence.
>Fire you and hire H1B Pajeet who cleans it up in two weeks, flying through code review, SI&T, and production deployment.
>you eat dollar store ramen while trying to convince someone to hire you.

Attached: 6cf.png (858x725, 361K)

More like:
After Docker:
>WE DEVOPS NOW!
>Good Developers replace Sysadmins and try to manage infrastructure as well as code and screw it up often. Every now and then the better Devs care enough to do it right. They’re now DevOps engineers.
>Good Sysadmins are forced to understand and debug bad dev code every development and on the fly. At least it’s easier to roll back, though.

End result - a lot more failures, but they’re quicker and you theoretically succeed faster, provided you don’t waste time trying to automate things that shouldn’t be automated.

So for a hobbyist who writes programs on his home machine and executes them in AWS EC2 instances, is docker worth learning?

Skip it and go straight to Lambda.

If you want real virtualization install xen faggots.

>needing that much manual cunting around for a release
>needing sysadmins for anything other than setting up, maintaining, and troubleshooting deploy pipelines

Attached: 1536232137807.jpg (892x720, 162K)

its meant to abstract away your application from the rest of the OS. a sysadmin just needs to know that you have provided them with a docker image and then he can manage it with something like kubernettes without caring what the actual application is. Its the opposite of bloat, however.

>seething IT drones mad that they are slowly being automated away

not REALLY imo, personally I think most things are worth learning but docker doesn't really fir your use case perfectly.

Jails/containers are awesome. For application deployment declarative container builds are more elegant than mutable jails. I am grateful to Docker for making them popular. However, Docker itself is kind of a mess of bad design, bugs and unhelpful documentation. Is Swarm reliable yet?

Attached: docker swarm.png (1500x1478, 451K)

The whole point of Docker is so you can skimp out on people who actually know how to manage infrastructure and just have a brainlet who knows how to import and start the Docker container. More often than not, one of the devs who wrote it to save extra money.

Pick your poison. It's either Docker or Nix "we don't know shit about UX."

Docker swarm or kurbernates is the new rage in enterprise and microservies.
But overkill for an hobyist.

Yes, I don't want to hire someone to babysit my servers 24/7/365 just in case some hardware failure or broken update takes it offline one day.
That is really all.

That you can store, copy, share, run multiple time, version, and best of all delete.
It's like a very portable, very lightweight VM.
And it made Alpine and musl popular! Much mpre things are now supportimg musl thanks to it.
But eventually people will stop using alpine, some big corps are already experimenting distroless images. Because the log/stats tooling is all outside the container, tje only thing you need the container to do is being runable.

I think you might be severely retarded. How did you even find you way here?

Containerization worth learning as a CS student?

There's hardly anything to learn though?

Sysadmins are incompetent fucks who can't upgrade operating systems without breaking everything because they tend to install fucked-up, nonstandard config shit that doesn't play well with the rest of the OS.

Just use systemd-nspawn.

Very much yes. You want to put kubernetes and docker on your resume for sure. :Look up other containerisation memes and learn them too. Get reasonably comfortable with creation, deployment and management.

Just deploy with docker-compose.

Docker is deprecating redhat tech, and that's a good thing!

>it will be replaced as time goes on
Hopefully, but remember that Plan 9 didn't replace Unix.

>even non-dev can spot your memory leak shit code
This is what a C fizzbuzzer who identifies as a sysadmin imagines the corporate world to be like.

Yes, especially if you're willing to switch to hyper.sh.

>Prefer Swarm over Kubernetes any day
>Kubernetes won

Attached: 1524830490934.png (1280x1381, 831K)

Has Swarm been reliable for you?

But gnu/linux did, so did bsd which give origin to macos. All using posix standard that is litterally the way unix worked.
And that's what is happening now with the standardization of container tech, we might end up using other stuff. OCI is a thing now.
Unix gave birth to posix and linux and macos replaced it. Docker is birthing OCI, let's see what will come out of it.

Not that user, but my company is using swarm. A swarm for staging and another for prod.

Do you ever have a problem with your services failing to restart after an update or the process exiting?

It's useful so you don't need to shit up your host machine. Good for making dev environments fast

The only issue I had is with swarm DNS where a host was resolving to another IP.

>OH NO MY HOST MACHINE SO IMPORTANT SHIT
stupid devops cannot reinstall system i sure? haha lose faggots. All corporations are stupid brainlets spec.

fucking hate that shit

hell even its retarded name
>let's make up a cool name for our stupid framework
>how about Cybernet, that sounds cyberpunk
>no we need a bigger scope, make nets plural
>also let's write it in fake Greek so it sounds intellectual

Doesn't that mean server will run slower now because of additional layer of abstraction?
I guess this is not a problem today, you just buy a better CPU instead.

the opposite. Docker removes a lot of overhead.

Attached: docker.jpg (1280x720, 84K)

seething

I'm not responsible for that, i'm just a dev for a microservice or two. the closer I got was making the ci and deployment pipeline that deploys our services into the staging and prod swarm.
So the most i did with swarm was creating local swarm to test the way deploy works and how nodes connected. I never had to handle engine updates.

I meant, compared to native execution, not a virtual machine. Server would run faster straight on the system than in container. Only is less manageable.

Kernel has direct contain support.
That's why docker for windows is crap, the docker engine depends on some linux kernel modules.
The kernel is without a doubt the best piece of big software to date. No other software project compares to Linus' kernel.
(The os's on top of it are a different story)

Yes, but imaging running multiple services on one machine? It's nightmare. Specially when everyone is optimized with their own server configs etc.
Container you just dump many containers in many machines. It trivializes a lot.
But yeah, it's yet another layer of abstraction, and abstraction is not free.

Sorry. Linux kernel is a spaghetti crap. I'm saying this as someone who modifies its code sometimes. The *BSD kernel is much nicer, has better quality and less bugs, only it often lacks functionality and drivers.

Wisdom. I also think that Docker is great but we can do better over time

Attached: dc957f04697bba049b30e54ab4f3318d.jpg (640x754, 130K)

If you work as a consultant, it's your daily life

Easy to not have bugs when you lack functionality and driver support.

oh yeah I love that life
>client dev team wants build pipelines to work a certain way and send notifications to their slack channel
>build it
>help we're getting too many notifications
>ok what do you want to be notified about
>ummm idk
>well how about this this and this
>:thumbsup:
>make changes
>hey we're not getting enough notifications
>well what do you need to be getting notified on
>ummmm idk let us get back to you
>hear nothing for a week
>suddenly some VP wades into a teleconference and starts slapping his dick on the table about this horrible problem where we're treating their devs like shit etc etc
>well we have this chat record in slack and corresponding jira tickets
>I don't fucking care fucking fuck fix fuckety fuck fuck or fucking fuck the fuck fucko
thank fuck that contract is up EOY, and if I could get rid of one technology atm it would be slack, although I'm sure it would be replaced by something twice as cancerous

Attached: 0-HOepEgvnFgGGK-9t.jpg (1600x900, 184K)

>jira tickets

My condolences

I laf at Dockerfags.

After Go
>be developer
>write software in Go
>compile in single static binary
>copy to server
>restart service

yeah ok sure but if you're going to use a whole server for one application, you're not going to use containers lol

Man, my company is trying to migrate our 32-bit shit to 64-bit and all of our servers have their own docker containers. It's been a nightmare.

>The *BSD kernel
>The
You fucking liar, lol.

Windows IT staff is a nightmare either way.

And the Linux/BSD experienced IT can handle it quite easily.

jira is the best shit mang
>new ticket filed by client pm
>title is [placeholder]
>body is "fill in later"
>importance: minor
>uhh ok
>ask pm what's up
>nbd bro maybe something for later idk talk tomorrow
>tomorrow rolls around
>pm noshows for scrum but who cares
>grooming meeting later in the day
>he dials in late
>okay guys this issue is P0 and is a blocker and someone needs to do something about it now
>uh
>wat is this even about the ticket is blank
>i thought ____ slacked you about it yesterday
>uhhhhhh no
>FUCK
>an hour of bullshit later
>fix ends up being a 2 minute thing with 1.5 minutes being the deploy
>tfw

Attached: 1539514075312.gif (600x338, 588K)

Do you deploy one service per VM?

I do Docker and Serverless on AWS.
Networking and Linux monkeys are useless from my pov.

This has everything to do with your coworkers being retarded and nothing to do with Jira

>devs sayings sysadmins are brainlets
>mfw devs cant even edit a text file via the terminal

Attached: 2e779a776bf8872c97e2ff56f770a6b2607f0f8d_full.jpg (184x184, 9K)

docker on windows is hilarious because any time a containerized service needs .net the container winds up being almost as bloated as the full OS it's sitting in

You bought into memes
Enjoy obsolesce when hype train passes

jira is basically a waste of money because any useful communication is done through real-time channels and the source of truth on the product you're working on is more likely to be a bloody rag left by the toilet in the dilation room

If you can ssh into a system it's already compromized.