/erg/ - E-Reader General

Share and discuss E-Readers

Attached: forma.png (960x960, 587K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kDk-t6XkFvc
aliexpress.com/item/2018-NEW-Boyue-likebook-Mars-7-8-Ebook-reader-Ereader-with-Dual-color-frontlight-2G-16GB/32923180286.html
youtube.com/watch?v=nj3NrxMNToM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

they're shit

Honestly, I kind of want to fall for this meme, but I want to get a truly premium model -- for features and to buyers-remorse myself into using one if I'm not reading on it as much as I'd expect.

Currently researching Kobo's stuff, specifically the Kobo Auro One.

e-readers have that comfy post-apocalyptic tech feel. I don't even read books or manga but it's something I want to get back into doing. waiting for comfy anons with e-readers to give their opinions in this thread.

I have 3.
Unless you're only reading novels its too impractical

you cant see text book graphics colors
cant display manuals on the internet correctly.
also forget gif graphics and movies.
even pic based manga loads so damn slow.
have to sync it everytime like its an iPod from 2005 or something

I mostly read manga and would prefer larger than the default 6". Maybe when I get into light novels I'll make more use of my Kobo Glo HD. But I recently found out Book Walker is in JPY, they occasionally give out coupons and would have discounts for weebshit than Kobo ever will.

I have the Kindle Oasis 1 (6") & 2 (7") and like them, but compared to paper the contrast is still shit.

I've owned a 6" e-reader for many years now and the only reason why I don't use it very often is the small screen. It's okay for reading epub because you can change font size on the fly, but most of the stuff I want to read is either in pdf or some image format. It's basically impossible to read these on such a small screen, and resizing & scrolling gets old fast on those e-ink screens.
If I ever buy another e-reader, it's gonna have at least an iPad-pro-sized screen

What's the best budget backlit e-reader for pirated manga / doujins?

>books in 2018

Attached: 1418228156215.jpg (306x306, 20K)

bought this, did I fuck up Jow Forums?

Attached: IMG_20181122_120433.jpg (1080x1267, 162K)

no, that's a good deal
kobos turn their pages too slowly, especially with pdfs. otherwise they would be the best option. for now kindle is better. Unfortunately, both are botnetted

>year of the illiterate

had a kindle paperwhite 4gb
had a kindle oasis 32gb 7 inch
didnt like either and still read on my tablet
i dont know why i couldnt get used to it

Don't forget the contrast ratio is also worse than LCD, OLED, and paper.
It's fine for high-contrast stuff like like text and line charts, but for manga it can make tone shading harder to see

how the hell can an user be "comfy"?

Seriously what does that word even men anymore?

what's the ideal size to read manga?

In case any of you are wondering, the Sony digital paper 13.3" is ass. Wait for the next generation of eink screens or clearink to come out before buying one that is full-paper sized.

why the fuck does e-readers so expensive, while having such trash performance? i understand that they dont need to be fast, but i fucking expect atleast not see clear 10second lag every time i do something

I don't like putting covers on ereaders because one of the neat things about them is how light weight they are, and a cover makes it heavier.
But you got a good deal there so just try it with the cover on and off and see what you think.

Blame e-ink, when there is only a monopoly in the marketplace don't expect great progress in technology.

a5

when the hell does those patents run out anyway

Everybody in this thread is an idiot. Kindles are great. They're for reading text, not looking up comic books or browsing the internet. I use it to read text books because you don't get distracted. Go somewhere with the kindle without your phone and get a lot of reading done. Better resolution is important if you want to read pdfs. I found the old 50$ kindles a bit hard to read for some small print pdfs. I have a paperwhite and I haven't encountered a pdf I can't read.

I take them on a beach chair in the garden or in the hammock and read for hours distractions free. Worth it!

pls respon

>read
>for hours
don't you have relationships or responsibilities?

Attached: 1540046423366.jpg (326x326, 13K)

just leave it in airplane mode as soon as you activate it. paperwhites are great.

I wish the Kindles allow you to have the book cover as the lockscreen, kinda like the Kobo does with their products

Yeah, it's stupid Amazon doesn't allow this. Maybe later with an update.

They haven't done it for years, what makes you think they'll do it later?

niche products have niche product pricing

>having such trash performance
they're ultra low power for the sake of the battery

7.8 will suffice, 10 is better but fucking expensive

patents can technically last for 20 years, but the increasing fees make it infeasible to do so usually.

they are good and allow my to view books that i downloaded online in my hand. i enjoy my e-reader

What's a decent cheap e-reader with a large screen?
The Aura One?

I rock a convienently just less than back pocket sized kobo w/ koreader. I read text books, novels, and internet manuals with supreme ease and comfort. I don’t expect to have color or watch movies/gifs cuz I’m not a fucking idiot who doesn’t understand the devices tech/role. I always say it was the best consumer good I’ve ever purchased, next to my thinkpad and new printer (to print and self bind books). Previously I’ve owned the Kindle Paperweight and Kobo H20. For my needs, I’m glad I got the more portable smaller kobo this time around.

lmao get a load of this absolute pleb.

this guy gets it. i question if anyone else in this thread even reads, let alone enjoys it

For pdf text books do you convert them to epub ? My Kobo was really slow at displaying pdfs, but it was the cheaper model.

I think you are better off with a regular tablet. kindle is shit for manga and kobo's cheapest has only 4gb of storage. plus e-readers are slow as shit to scroll pages.

no, install KoReader. it’s better at pdfs and everything. kobo has god awful native pdf functionality. it’s an ez install and well worth the time (1-2 hours max)

I wish Forma wasn't a piece of sent with defective lighting and PWM flicker.

holy trinity of ereaders

Attached: signal-2018-11-23-202338.jpg (1440x2392, 572K)

Kobo Clara HD or Aura H2O Edition 2?
I only plan on reading the plain text epubs but I wonder if the bigger screen on the H2O is worth it.

>set contrast to max
>set to refresh every page
>HD display
Better than printing or buying books.

How come we don't have any high-res reflective LCD displays?
We used to have non-lit LCD displays in the old days

Attached: mp_2.jpg (650x650, 68K)

Any foldables on the market yet? I really want this gimmick.

anons, i want to buy an ereader exclusively for mango.
i'm looking at the Kobo Aura One - it's only available here at our eBay equivalent, so there's a small chance that the seller memes me and ships some fakeass product and I'd have the stress of having to get a refund, BUT it's also 7.8" and that's awesome for manga.
on the other hand, we have the Kindle Oasis. it's 7" but i *think* page turns on manga are faster on it? it's basically the same price as the Aura One here, ~$50-80 difference

what should I get?

Attached: consider this.jpg (391x364, 52K)

I have an aura one, couldn't be happier with it.
Get koboreader, it's absolutely essential for mango, and BTFOs the stock reader, or the amazon one.
It's a simple drag and drop installation, and supports shit like cropping, contrast ratio, zooming, hell, even wireless transfer of files.
Oh, and I forgot to mention it turns pages the fastest out of the three.
IIRC kobo supports more formats than amazon, but books cost more on it, so there's also that factor to consider.

Exclusively for mango though, I'd get an aura, first and foremost for the bigger screen, and the other factors are just nice to have.

Kobo aura one with koreader... or save some money and get pocketbook inkpad3. Same screen, microsd card, more customizable, better with pdf out of box.

There are small reflective color LCD displays these days but not in tablet sizes. I guess they're having trouble making them bigger.
youtube.com/watch?v=kDk-t6XkFvc

Real talk.

What the fuck is about with the goddamn piece of shit OS on the Kobos?
I got an Aura One and it's got nice hardware, but the OS is a god-fucking-damned nightmare of ridiculously long response times and asinine UI.

Is there any way to get a fucking fix for this piece of shit? At times PDFs are rendered better than actual ebook formats, but on PDFs I occasionally have the e-reader just randomly jump a page forward when I open the cover.
Also, turning pages on PDFs is even worse than on epub and the like.
And then there's the bookmarks, which for some reason don't even display what page they were made on and take ages to open up and navigate with.
And after using bookmarks the button in the lower right changes functionality, so I need to use the hamburger menu in the upper right to get back to the book selection.
In addition, the touch hitboxes fucking suck and always seem just a little too small to hit reliably.

It's a fucking mess.

JUST

get koreader
Literally everyone in this thread has been shilling it for a good reason.
I used to jump between it and the original OS for a while, but I don't think I've launched it once for the past 6 months.
And as I said it's literally as easy as dragging and dropping files. (you'll have to open and close 10 "books" on the original reader, and restart the system, but that's literally the whole process, it took me 5 minutes from googling to using).

Are there any proper full size e-ink readers (a4 tier for reading textbooks and shit instead of novels or the like, no lcd tablets since they defeat the purpose for me) that are actually decent spec and not 5+ years old and horribly overpriced?

Large E-Inks cost money.
With 13" models you're looking at $600+, that's all there is to it, if that's horribly overpriced for you then forget it.
If not, the look into Sony Digital Paper, Good Ereader, and Onyx Book.

it's more i'm an ausfag, so take whatever price you find and then multiply it by at least 1.5, probably closer to 2x. thanks for the heads up though.

Thinking of getting the new paperwhite which is now on sale
Is it worth it? I've never used an e-reader before but I used to enjoy reading and want to get back into it

The biggest drawback of books is that I have to order them, and since I live in basically 3rd world country as far as Amazon (or any) shipping is concerned, buying books digitally is the way to go.

>sits on Jow Forums for hours
don't you have relationships? wait this is Jow Forums

It's a good deal if you don't care about piracy and good PDF support. Amazon typically has a bigger, cheaper selection than Kobo though.

thanks anons. i live in a 4th world country so the pocketbook isnt an option. even the aura one is stretching it.
it's expensive as shit but i want to gift myself one

What about a used Kobo Clara HD or Aura H2O (preferably Edition 2 with better comfort light, storage, and screen)?

If you want one for manga, get it with a micro SD card slot.

aliexpress.com/item/2018-NEW-Boyue-likebook-Mars-7-8-Ebook-reader-Ereader-with-Dual-color-frontlight-2G-16GB/32923180286.html

Some user talked about this the last thread, it's superior to the kobo aura once since it has a micro SD card slot and is android so you can read manga directly using tachiyomi and stuff.

This is a family friendly site, get that shit to Jow Forums
>Or post more

cant find it for sale here sadly

is the turn speed good? i'd hate to get a chinkreader that takes a second and half to flip between pages
i'd also have to look into importing that from china and whether i'd get cucked by customs, but i'll check that out

>chinkreader

Inkbook has readers with Android, microSD slot, and comfort light for cheaper than that

i live in br*zil so it's probably easier for me to get my hands on a chinkreader than an inkbook

pocketbook inkpad3 is cheaper than kobo aura one.
And if you really live in shitty country it should be easier to get because that is the market they are aiming for. Unless you live in america. Then you can't get pocketbooks easily.

If koreader had some kind of 'library' or something and not only file browser I could forget nickel... but it doesn't have it. Literaly only issue with koreader.

Nothing family unfriendly in that picture.
fyi these are Luis Royo works.

BRB fapping

what i mean is that you can't find it for sale here, my dude. there's just one random guy selling aura ones on our ebay, amazon's official representation (so kindles) and aliexpress.

You gotta go check reviews on youtube and stuff, maybe the user from the last thread will come back and answer questions for you. I wanted to get one myself looking at all the features it has.

youtube.com/watch?v=nj3NrxMNToM

Check this review out

Well. It seems your country sux more than mine. Here I can get inkpad3 for reasonable price of 200euro... and kobo aura one (from one eshop- not ebay) for 280euro (last time I checked). For comparison I got mine from uk it was 180pounds.

yotaphone 3 reporting

Attached: 20181029_210013.jpg (2880x2160, 1.68M)

The Waterproofing and microSD cart support are worth it.

>Want kobo
>Want whatever has highest res screen
>Want with microSD
>Everytime I look at them, it seems the current models don't have features the old ones did
>Don't buy anything
>Keep using kobo mini and reading manga on laptop

What're you talking about? Neither of those have a microSD card slot. The H2O Edition 2 has waterproofing though.

Is the grayscale side backlit?

>the contrast is still shit.
can you not disable backlight on kindle?

The Clara is .8" smaller, but has a higher dpi. It's great for reading books, but maybe if you wanted to read manga the larger size would be better.

Honestly I like the small size, fits nicely in your hand while your reading in bed. v comfy

>this guy gets it. i question if anyone else in this thread even reads, let alone enjoys it
there was a thread few days ago on Jow Forums ereader/what did you read, I think out of 200 replies only like 5 people posted actual books that they have read. I personally dont really understand what a typical Jow Forums fag does with his ereader because apparently quite a few people here own them

no

sharing my collection

I quite like the middle one, dont even know what model that is supposed to be, but the build quality is nice and even if its unlit screen it has this nice color to it

the biggest problem with paperwhite is you cant read with only left hand because its impossible to make left side touch screen act as page forward instead of page back.

Attached: DCIM0467.jpg (2250x1500, 1.55M)

How much do you think you paid in total?

The page back section is like a fucking inch wide, I had zero problems using mine in my left hand.

probably 300 to 400 good boy points, I also had voyager that I left on a plane (bought pw after that)

The one in the middle looks just like mine and mine is a Kindle 4 Non-Touch.

I hope it's good

Attached: Screenshot_AliExpress_20181125-033626.png (1080x1920, 160K)

I'm the user who brought it up last thread. Hope it's good as well.

Attached: whocares.jpg (1137x311, 44K)

What is the state of DRM and format support in modern ereaders? Are they worth buying if I will purely be downloading PDFs and epubs from #bookz and won't buy anything from the vendor's store.
What kind of customisation support do they have, ie can I have a terminal and write scripts?
Could I send webpages from my laptop to read later on my ereader for example?

You don't want to do that shit on an e-ink display. Though you could probably use Termux on an InkPad since they un Android.

>special offers
Ya dun goofed.

Attached: 1461427022900.jpg (515x449, 109K)

I got a kindle keyboard like that for $10 at a thrift store, I've been enjoying it ever since.

Why are so many books only available in physical format or as shitty PDFs

Attached: 1.png (935x670, 1.05M)

>if I will purely be downloading PDFs and epubs from #bookz and won't buy anything from the vendor's store.
That's what I do with my Kobo
>can I have a terminal
The kernel on this thing doesn't support virtual terminals but you can write scripts, sure.
>Could I send webpages from my laptop to read later
Kobos have (((Pocket))) built in and I think Koreader has Wallabag support

I ordered a Likebook Mars yesterday because it's the same size as Kobo Aura One but runs Android + SD card, wish me luck

Seems like the Jow Forums ereader

>cheaper

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 2.33.38 PM.png (671x382, 117K)

If you read a lot, they're Godgift! Eyes will be thanking you, and you'll only need to charge once a week after INTENSIVE read. Had kindle on a three weak trip, didn't need to charge it once. That said, you need 8 inch reader or larger for pdf use. Don't even bother with anything smaller for pdfs. 6 inchers are good enough for epubs and text books, but jump from them to 8' is huge even for epubs. My advice would be to always consider size of the device before any other feature. Pic related is years old pocketbook 840, contrast is poor thanks to it being on one of the older eink techs, but I wouldn't trade it for the newest kindle.
Comics are readable, but usually need a little work, they're shit for internet, and are fantastic in natural and external light. If you're using them combined with internal backlit light, they're no better than tablets and monitors for the eyes. Battery life will still be stellar, but that's it.

Attached: 50-53274-.jpg (1467x1100, 467K)

>Had kindle on a three weak trip, didn't need to charge it once
used various kindles and unless you read 30mins-1hour max a day they do not last that long

I'm kinda leaning towards the Likebook Plus.
It has a slower processor and half the memory but it's considerably cheaper.

I don't think I even read that much. It does hold a weak for regular use, like I said. kindle 4 unlit, same design as the middle one