MSc in Physics from Stanford University (Undergraduate was at Michigan)

>MSc in Physics from Stanford University (Undergraduate was at Michigan)
>Experienced developing in C, C++ and Java
>active github profile and a couple of open source contributions
>unemployed for 1 year since graduation
>attended several of career fairs and handed out CVs to employers who said they were "very interested in my skill set"
>get no call backs

Grand total of job search effort:
>sent close to 1000 job applications
>half of those were for unpaid internships to startups and small businesses because I was not getting any full time offers
>15 phone interviews
>1 face to face interview
>still no full time job

I guess I have the luxury to still NEET at my grandmas hence why I haven't offed myself yet.

I spend my days just doing the occasional freelancing gig but I'm earning no way close to minimum wage.

But seriously, what the fuck Jow Forums?! Everyone told me that there is a massive STEM and skill shortage. Am I just an outlier 6 standard deviations from the mean?

Attached: 3489578349075.jpg (458x577, 50K)

Are you a sperg?

Do you look good? When conversing do you reveal your autism? These things matter way more than your github page

Should've been a male nurse

You need machine learning or stats profile.
Compete agains average software engineers is a mistake,because average aoftware engineers barerly can do calculus

linkedin

Get someone experienced to review your resume/CV, likely something in there turns off employers. Market is very hot for software devs atm and there's clearly something wrong if a Stanford MSc is not getting hired.

Or maybe it's your soft skills like implied

Are you me? The worst part, grad school didn't even select me for PhD while other guys with low skills/projects got selected.

I said fuck these dickheads and started learning ML now which our friend also suggests. Hope I get a good jerb after this

Dude, you must be doing something wrong, I have an outdated CV and to this day i get random offers from time to time.

As other have said, you must check your CV and the way you speak.

yeah, this op. Send us your cv with your personal info edited out and we'll see if ur doing something wrong.

I had a very similar profile to you (MSc in maths with Java experience) and I sent out like, 8 job applications in total, out of which 5 led to interviews and 2 led to offers. This was partly me being shit at interviews at the start and focuisng really hard on getting good at those (watching videos, practicing common hr questions etc).

granted, this was in the Netherlands, not the US, so idk

dude if you lived in my country they would tear you apart
everyone and their mother is getting a CS degree for the past decade and job market is still screeching that they have like 15,000 vacancies for tech guys
I don't even know what the fuck do they do with them, sacrifice them to the dark gods or some shit?

Attached: 1489129490528.jpg (760x570, 53K)

If you only have gotten 15 phone interviews something is seriously wrong with your cv. I had a hard time finding a job after graduating with a MSc in mathematics. Took me 23 interviews over a period of 2 months.

Attached: Qh0df1r.jpg (600x800, 66K)

This you genuinely need to train to get through the behavior analysis questions if you are a sperg.

Attached: D430_34_745_1200.jpg (1200x800, 74K)

>bachelors in semi related CS field
>10 applications for CS jobs
>4 interviews
>2 offers
I just took one of them wasnt even gonna bother looking more, I'm happy there still.

>behavior analysis questions
Like what. Different guy btw; I've been through the interview machine two times in the last year (did my thesis for a company and got a full time job at a different company after, had multiple offers both times) and I always went in with the mindset that the interview was mostly about getting to know each other and find out whether real interest was there. So I've never paid too much attention to HR questions and always attributed it to small talk, but they probably do have a list of questions to filter out spergs, don't they?

You’re doing something wrong. I never went to university and I’m still fighting off recruiters.

I suggest getting some experience in react and rebranding yourself as a webshite dev if you’re that desperate for work.

The only thing I can imagine is that your personality clashes, your cover letter sucks and your soft skills are not on par. Try to get help with these and you will surely be able to find a job.

I'm
Basically this is how I approach interviews as well, but knowing that if they pull out some bullshit hr question like "what are your weaknesses", you have the confidence to answer them well.

> "what are your weaknesses",
What the fuck are you supposed to answer to this anyways? "I work too hard" or "perfectionist" is eyeroll tier and cliche.

I've never had an interview that wasn't mostly technical and the "soft skills" portion has always just been BSing around about technology, even still, so maybe I'm just lucky.

yeah exactly, I know if I get asked that question during an interview im either going to sperg out or best case scenario I'm going to say something like "haha, I really don't know". So if I write down some answers to this question beforehand that aren't complete bullshit like yours, I can feel safe in knowing that if this question comes i'll be able to deal with it. It helps a lot with interview nervousness.

Unironically just get a job that isn't related to your degree.
I'm transferring UK uni right now (Cambridge to UOB), and I was able to find full time work as a bartender within like a week of leaving Cam
I was doing Natural Sciences, so that rules out the 'Hurr Durr, but you were probably studying humanities' argument

forgot to mention; look for work in your field at the same time as you work the other job; the point of getting an unrelated job is just getting a stable cashflow

posts like these are eating me up from the inside

Attached: wojakspurdo.jpg (528x404, 39K)

> Be me, international student
> Doing BSc in Stats
> Experienced developing in C++, Java, JS, python, matlab, R
> some stuff in github profile, not really active
> apply for internships after the 2nd year
> go to an interview
> my interviewer and a future manager us a person of my ethnicity
> get a job offer after an internship
> You need machine learning or stats profile.
How so. In the place where I work there are like 10 normal devs and 2 statisticians.

Pajeet

At my university there was a rule that You had to have job experience before 4th year. As in You were obliged to give a piece of paper to dean's office from Your boss that stated Your position and description of what You did. It was usually just 2-3 months during summer, sometimes people stayed for longer and had a job while also doing normal coursework. During 5th year EVERYONE had a job, cause You do need to start making money.

I just don't understand how situations like OP's are even possible. Were Your parent's just paying for it all?

For slower paced jobs that require a lot of accuracy without tight deadlines I've heard that "I tend to overthink things a bit" works. I was told that answer landed me my first actual job as a part time page at my local public library.

Side note to all shoujofags, please stop masturbating with the library's manga, we can tell.

Attached: 1384696556530.jpg (500x333, 49K)

>Were Your parent's just paying for it all?
I have a college fund, do people from poor families work their way through college?

Actually, no.

If you are sending out CVs and not getting replies: your CV is shit. Go do it again.

If you are getting through to phone interview then not getting callback for face-to-face; you're fucking up. Practise more.

If you are getting through to face-to-face and failing; you are either (most likely) fucking up or a better candidate got the job.

Do not work for free ever.

If you are applying through recruiters they strip personal details like github links so the company can't just contact you and the recruiter loses their fee.

Also you never told us what role you are looking for exactly. Maybe you are focusing too broadly.

>If you are applying through recruiters they strip personal details like github links so the company can't just contact you and the recruiter loses their fee.
Recruiters are truly scum.

This. Don't go through recruiters.

They'll alter your resume without telling you.
They'll lie about your skillset to potential employers.
They'll turn down job offers without telling you if they aren't for enough money based on their commission structure
They'll list jobs that don't exist just to farm resumes
They'll call your former employers on your resume to pry about potential openings they can advertise for.

Recruiters are the scum of the Earth. Do everything you can to cut them out of the equation. Google search strings of words from their job postings to see if you can find them posted directly on company websites, or if they even exist at all.

Stuff like this makes me glad I chose not to go the university route.

So instead you have no pretense of ever escaping neetdom?
Must be nice

>Do not work for free ever.

feels good getting desperate college graduates do your work for free during fictional interviews

Attached: E1AFE3E8-9A57-49AF-A482-3C17D633692D.jpg (222x168, 14K)

I meant unpaid internship but I guess that applies too.

It really is the fault of people who keep doing this take home 2-8 hour long projects. If everyone just told them to fuck off it wouldn't be the norm.

I think I found a phd scholarship in UK somewhere which requires programming skills for geant4

Apply for that and hope for the best maybe. Personally I wouldn't stay so long in academics since it has so little application in real world

I’m doing PhD right now, applying for scholarship was much easier than job interviews. Pays like shit, but don’t care. I’ll go back to being NEET after I graduate or get kicked out.

> Be me
> Europoor
> College dropout
> Get hired immediately for a normal salary because of skills
> Do Java consultancy but my boss gets almost all of the profits
> Switch companies and go work at a specialized Java consultancy company.
> All java consultans make 70% of their hourly rate if you have an assignment or a basic salary if you don't have one.
> Going to make 6 to 11k euro a month.
> 20 months of work experience and no degree or certificates.
fight me

That filename makes me curious.

>mfw literally a convicted felon
>took me 2 interviews to get a DevOps position
think it might be you

Attached: 1492478634232.jpg (759x635, 44K)

convicted for what?

cp

It is nice not being a debt slave.

So in NextGen actually legit? Their recruiters keep spamming me but i always kinda had the idea that the "basic salary" is like 2k a month lol. Kinda feels like a scam desu

Cause physics degree doesn't make you good at programming. Why does it matter what programming languages you have experience with? All the code I've seen from anyone else but soft engineering students is just a single file with method after method after method

Same here, bro. I killed my future boss's family and still got the job. You must be doing something wrong, OP.