Click the Start button to Shut Down

>click the Start button to Shut Down

wow great UI design there Microsoft bravo

Attached: StartShutdown.png (208x372, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20030722-00/?p=43083/
h-online.com/open/features/Linux-and-Windows-8-Fast-Startup-puts-data-at-risk-1780640.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

> blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20030722-00/?p=43083/

> So why is "Shut down" on the Start menu?

> When we asked people to shut down their computers, they clicked the Start button.

> Because, after all, when you want to shut down, you have to start somewhere.

> (Besides, if we also had a "Shut down" button next to the Start button, everybody would be demanding that we get rid of it to save valuable screen real estate.)

That menu is pure sex.
Also checked

t. virgin

You're starting the shutdown sequence which involves killing all running processes and stopping all writes to internal and external drives, before finally powering down to avoid data loss.
If you wanted to just straight up shutdown, you can pull the power cord.

Right, and all that computing jargon is supposed to come naturally to someone who doesn't even know how to navigate a GUI without a button labeled "Start."

That's better than the latest version of Windows -- where "Shutdown" means "waste time hibernating, without any of the benefits of hibernating, and leave my filesystem in an inconsistent state."[1]

[1]: h-online.com/open/features/Linux-and-Windows-8-Fast-Startup-puts-data-at-risk-1780640.html

>It is now safe to turn off your computer.

>the absolute state of Jow Forums
Fucking gookmoot. This is all his fault.

Attached: 26467675.jpg (1280x960, 368K)

if i wanted your shitty jokes i wouldve gone to reddit

>Because, after all, when you want to shut down, you have to start somewhere.

Logically, you would end at the same place where you started, which is the power button, not some graphical software widget.

Logically, if you weren't a brainlet retard, you would know Windows treats pressing the power button the same as clicking shutdown.

aint anything new, grab a beer and join the end

Attached: 1538081674139.jpg (669x380, 33K)

It didn't in 1995

this triggers zoomers

why dont you go look at linux distros from '96 and up. now that shit is ungly as fuck

>if you weren't a brainlet retard
Pro-tip: don't be aggressively overconfident regarding things twice as old as you.

Attached: 6.jpg (900x675, 104K)

This is fine.

Attached: IMG_6615.jpg (2016x1512, 566K)

The "Start" button is the place to initiate a task, be that launching a program, configuring something, etc. Thus, when your task is to shut down the computer, it would still begin with the Start button.

I'm sorry to hear about your being a brainlet.

That started with ACPI around the ME/XP era, many computers before that would just shut off.

God love that fucking chink. Virtually all questions Jow Forumsaylords ask have been answered by him somewhere along the line. And fine digits, user.

>press on button to turn computer on
>press on button to turn computer off
it makes perfect sense.

>start = initiate
>initiate shutdown
Makes sense to me.

This is nice but watch this.

Attached: hide.png (196x16, 1K)

Actually windows xp somehow changed the setting in the bios to enable something like that because in windows 98 dual boot with windows xp, windows 98 would shut down by the power button.

the dumbest part about that is that windows will restore from hibernate even when the volume was opened read-write after hibernating
there should be some information windows can use to detect if the volume was mounted after creating the hiberfil, and could abort restoration, which would completely avoid any issues

This is how the peak of computer engineering looks like.

windows provided nothing from day 1.
all they did was deteriorate the xerox parc design.
... 2018 and they haven't figured out the menuing. The menus are a problem, The desktop is a problem. It was a problem from day 1 where they abandoned the OO foundation, without which xerox would not have been able to invent the desktop, & coded the lot in C. It's horrible, deteriorated shit, now. To microsoft, their software is their major problem (no design, no principles, no foundation). Bill was a brat, given the keys, and he had absolubtely no clue how to design anything, being an obnoxious little snot nozed brat. The company is disgusting.

Glad they got rid of the stupid button and brought upon this beautiful thing.

Attached: windows8.jpg (620x375, 30K)

it looks like something from the 80s

Attached: aol.png (552x350, 30K)

For most of the 80s an IBM-compatible could only dream of having that many colors.