What is the best BSD for an old laptop? I basically want to put KDE on it and do basic tasks (email, web browsing...

What is the best BSD for an old laptop? I basically want to put KDE on it and do basic tasks (email, web browsing, word processing)

Attached: Bsd_daemon.jpg (150x158, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

project-trident.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Attached: 4-Puffer-Fish.jpg (1400x916, 141K)

FreeBSD is the most customizable. OpenBSD is good but has poor hardware support. NetBSD is best for old laptops.

All BSDs are like debian with a ports tree tacked on.

>like Debian
No way. Debian sucks.

Pic related idles at 200MB of RAM with LXqt installed. KDE will require more RAM.

Attached: login-screen.jpg (1366x703, 33K)

>idles at 200MB
Jesus I've run openbsd at it doesn't idle even close to that. To be fair I just used the barebomes FVWM setup they provide.

freebsd unless you're a paranoid autist

Browsers crash in FreeBSD. Browsers don't crash in OpenBSD.

>No way. Debian sucks.
Exactly.

>Browsers crash in FreeBSD
retard problems

Do you even use a BSD as your desktop?

yeah and freebsd works fine lmao calm down

On FreeBSD < 11.3 Web Content process may frequently crash due to bug 181741.

Reminder that OpenBSD is lacking the following things:
>A robust filesystem such as ZFS, btrfs, or HAMMER2
>Any kind of journaling FS
>SSD TRIM
>NFSv4
>Support for more than one core on various parts of the OS. The firewall, pf, is confirmed to be one of these parts, although there may be more.
>802.11ac networking
>Nvidia graphics from this decade
>AMD Vega graphics
>Certain Intel graphics, at least judging from comparing the manpage to the wikipedia article
>Broadcom wireless
>Bluetooth
>WINE
>LUKS/dm-crypt
>Linux compatibility layer
>Mounting ext filesystems
>free(1)
>lsblk(8)
>Proper virtualization (vmd/vmm is awful compared to KVM+QEMU or even Virtualbox)
>and probably more

im still on 11.2

Same. So Firefox still crashes.

PC-BSD

It's TrueOS now

i haven't experienced it. though debian's apt firefox no longer plays h264 videos, had to switch to deb-multimedia on that rig

And that changed into:
project-trident.org/
>Debian
?

I have an old pentium3 laptop and, in the past when I've bothered using it, I just had the most barren install of Debian on it. Loads up to a terminal line and it's lightning fast when you use Screen and hop between various terminal programs. If I ever needed to do gui stuff, I could type startx to load up fluxbox

just trying to relate to you bro