Program Files

>Program Files
>Program Files (X86)

Attached: 1541206804295.jpg (839x627, 68K)

>System32
>SysWOW64
>not System64

Attached: 1542136288221.jpg (1235x871, 650K)

SysWOW64 is not a 64 bit version of system32.

>C++ redistributable
>cmd
>powershell

there is no SysWOW32 so why specify SysWOW64? there is no System64 so why specify System32?

The best part is System32 contains the 64-bit files, while SysWOW64 has the 32-bit files.

syswow64 is for 32-bit application compatibility on 64-bit versions of Windows. Granted, it's sorta poorly named.

>sorta
that's putting it mildly.

top fucking kek

>C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

WoW64 means Windows on Windows 64, as in, 32 bit windows on 64 bit windows
It's still called "system32" so programs dont have to change anything
fun fact: trying to access system32 with a WoW64 program will redirect to SysWOW64

>first and only drive in the computer
>C:

>/bin
>/sbin
>/usr/bin
>/usr/sbin
>/usr/local/bin
>/usr/local/sbin

>/lib
>/lib32
>/lib64
>/usr/lib
>/usr/lib32
>/usr/lib64

>/libraries
>/32 bit libraries
>/64 bit libraries
>/users/32 bit libraries
>/users/64 bit libraries

I dont get your point, it all makes perfect sense.

The "system" directory is there too because 16-bit legacy cruft just won't die.

ITT: Jow Forums stupidity in full flight - not having any conception of what "backward compatibility" is, and the (often unpalatable) decisions and sacrifices that have to be made to feed that beast.

ITT: Jow Forums stupidity in full flight - not having any conception of what "a joke" is, and the (often unpalatable) decisions and sacrifices that have to be made to feed that beast.

Who still runs 16-bit shit? Seriously, where is this happening? In banks or CNC machines? These machines never get updated and they're not connected to the internet. Most of them are never even turned off because they don't turn on again afterwards.

>no /usr/local/ebin

Attached: ebin.jpg (662x259, 83K)

>what is mkdir

They should just cut 32 bit support entirely already. I mean, who even cares. 64 bit is basically future proof, barring some kind of absolutely insane advancement in technology suddenly requiring greater than 2^64 bytes of address space.

There is still a lot of 32 bit software.

/basically/, it's because it doesn't harm Windows a single bit to include, like 20MB AT MOST of retrocompatibility code, and keep governments and corporations who use crusty code happy, OR make them upset by dropping support and make them rewrite their shit, potentially risking them switching to Linux in the process.

Yes, wangblows has retarded naming conventions. They actually use the term "x64", which is fucking retarded.

You forgot
>User/appdata/local
>User/appdata/roaming
Which some programs also install into for some reason
But it also contains data for programs in program files, so it overlaps with
>User/documents
>ProgramData
Why can't they just have one directory for programs and one for program data?

>Program Files (x128)
>Program Files (x256)
>Program Files (x512)
>Program Files (x1024)
>Program Files (x2048)
>Program Files (x4096)
>Program Files (x8192)
>Program Files (x16384)

Attached: 1522310296780.png (418x359, 13K)

honestly it blows my fucking mind that they're still using the MS-DOS directory structure

Underage.

Pretty certain you need a non-64bit language to run 16 bit code outside of a separate emulator, so it's well on its way out.

Sega Genesis and SNES

this fustrates me everyfucking update they change their config location

>Windows 7
>Windows 8
>Windows 10

It may be a bit confusing to explain, but I just noticed that when typing within a directory; E and X gives you a file that starts with EX like Example.mp3, which is understandable. But if you have a file called EEXample.mp3, typing E and E just gives you the 'second' file that starts with an E.

In my case I was trying to go to SSSS.Gridman in my anime storage. But typing S 4 times, just landed me at Samurai Champloo, the forth anime I have that starts with S.

ask the retarded developers

can't they tuck away the legacy files into some library? this is an insult.

Attached: 7c6.png (211x246, 11K)

seriously though, why didn't they make WoW64 use System32, and have 64bit libs in System64?
they managed to move from System to System32 sanely

Because by default you need rights to write in ProgramFiles, but not in the user directory, so you can install your software without admin rights
It just become annoying for Electron App that install themself right as you run the installer
Can't you at least let me select my installation location ?

Just wait until you find out about the "Common Files" directories. Yes, plural. Bet you didn't even know about AppData\Local\Programs\Common.

>ask the retarded developers
It's been asked and will continue to be, and yet "my documents" and ~/ are still swarmed with config files and all manner of shit the *USER* often doesn't care about.

>why didn't they
Hardcoded paths in shitty, expensive "legacy" applications and scripts. Stuff like using "%WinDir%\System32" as a path to system files, for example, which would've broken otherwise.

>Hardcoded paths in shitty, expensive "legacy" applications and scripts. Stuff like using "%WinDir%\System32" as a path to system files, for example, which would've broken otherwise.
how? doing that shouldn't affect 32bit programs at all, it would only affect porting things to 64bit, considering we're talking about adding an architecture, there was no 64bit windows programs at the time to break
the only advantage to microsofts' solution was that programs could keep referencing 'system32' when built for 64bit, which is retarded

I don't follow.
>32 bit is the norm. Programs refer to system32
>x86_64 comes around
>64 bit is a thing
>make system64
>New x64 applications refer to system64
??

I can understand 16 bit remaining just system, but the rest of this is retarded.

>the only advantage to microsofts' solution was that programs could keep referencing 'system32' when built for 64bit, which is retarded
Yes, but it works. 64-bit programs find their system files in System32, and 32-bit programs get transparently redirected to SysWow64 when they try System32.

If you think this is that bad, just wait until you hear about UAC virtualization and its effect on various paths and the registry, the real elephant in that particular room.

>>New x64 applications refer to system64
>...
>??
But then you wouldn't be able to just toggle a switch to compile for "x64" on older applications.
Never underestimate the glacial rate of development yet breakneck requirements in the enterprise. People have gone insane for less.

>>File extensions hidden by default

Attached: bonzi.png (894x894, 1.12M)

>svchost.exe
>svchost.exe
>svchost.exe
>svchost.exe
>svchost.exe

>what are file icons

i've seen
>/home/user/.local/bin
too

Meaningless, because on the winmeme, executable files can set their own icon to that of the default picture icon.

>exes to install programs

No you don't. Modern processors still support real mode for whatever reason.

>implying your package manager isn't an exe

Real mode is necessary for booting and direct hardware access (without drivers). It's a tiny subset of modern CPUs that is mostly used by system BIOSes, option ROMs, bootloaders and firmware flashing utilities (via DOS). Why remove it and effectively drop support or otherwise gimp millions of devices? Remember, every addition to x86 is an extension, you don't need to cut off the legs just because you can fly.

>inb4 UEFI
Other than making writing bootloaders easier by eliminating stage 1 and arguably 2, and thus allowing you to skip real mode (such useful, everyone is writing loaders!), it's an insecure clusterfuck and ultimately has just made the boot process into fucking cancer while bloating up the hardware configuration tool - because clearly that needed mouse and networking support.

You mean those things that randomly break all the time?

None of my desktop icons have actual icons because 20% of the time when booting one of the icons will flash and turn into the generic white icon. Of course it's just an eroge machine so I don't give a fuck to fix it.

>Real mode is necessary for booting and direct hardware access (without drivers). It's a tiny subset of modern CPUs that is mostly used by system BIOSes, option ROMs, bootloaders and firmware flashing utilities (via DOS). Why remove it and effectively drop support or otherwise gimp millions of devices? Remember, every addition to x86 is an extension, you don't need to cut off the legs just because you can fly.
>>inb4 UEFI
>Other than making writing bootloaders easier by eliminating stage 1 and arguably 2, and thus allowing you to skip real mode (such useful, everyone is writing loaders!), it's an insecure clusterfuck and ultimately has just made the boot process into fucking cancer while bloating up the hardware configuration tool - because clearly that needed mouse and networking support.

I agree with the unnecessary bloat part, but imo skipping the stupid ancient stages is pretty great. Also, it provides an universal pre-boot module interface and loading mechanism. Before UEFI you had grub modules on linux and nothing on windows. With UEFI you can have a lot of cool things like true Full Disk Encryption by Veracrypt on windows, among other things.

The _WIN32 compiler macro is defined on 64-bit builds

>/etc/[Default settings]
>/etc/[No settings by default]
>~/.[programm]/settings
>~/.[programm]
>Either may or may not exist by default

The worst ones are the ones that don't even have default settings in /etc, but also do not document their config files, so you need to be lucky enough to find an example somewhere online.

There should be a distribution that is made to make sense from the ground-up.

Roaming is for roaming data, local for local data.
Roaming data is supposed to be synced across devices on your domain, while local stays device-specific.

Unfortunately, everyone is retarded. That's why we have a complete clusterfuck ever since Microsoft decided to change the default home folder structure and some people never bothered to adapt to it.
Personally, I preferred the Windows XP structure, but I can see the rationale behind the new stuff.

It's certainly more structured than putting all configurations into home/.program.

That's a genuine fuckup.

>task bar icons always grouped by default
>"Quick Access" as default front page of explorer
>No way to enter a directory like Images from explorer, then navigate one folder up - it will just take you back to the overview of user folders
>Removing a fuckload of Windows 8 UI functionalities (like a fucking screen brightness slider instead of a four-stage toggle, the entire concept of consistent gestures or the alt-tab-like left-edge gesture) in Windows 10
>Startup delay enabled by default, even on SSDs, and reverting itself after most major updates
>Need to use command line to format drives where all partitions are in an ext format, instead of disk manager
>cannot use mousewheel to scroll in disk manager
>cannot type a button to jump to first letter in modern apps like "programs and features"
>"Modern!Programs and features" doesn't allow you to actually enable features like WSL - you need to find the secret path to the Win32 version of "programs and features" first

>Documents
>My Documents
>Network Neighborhood
>nethood

>the concept of "libraries"

how did no one bring this up?

example:
>open explorer
>click "My Pictures"
>click path in Explorer to be able to copy and paste it
>you can't, because "My Pictures" is not just "C:\Users\username\Pictures" but an abstraction that you can put additional crap in
>click "Downloads"
>it takes you to "C:\Users\username\Downloads" because this is a regular directory

Why are you double clicking on things? Executables should be ran from Start->Run and everything else should be opened by starting the appropriate program and going to File->Open

>should
Yeah, that's why every file-browsing desktop UI since Windows 95 has mimicked its appearance and behavior.
Clearly menus and command lines are superior.

>apt
>apt-get

no config is ever in either of these wtf are you on about

>apt-cache search
Why even have an option when you are already specifically invoking search?

Apparently apt-cache and apt-get are now deprecated, but apt search has worse output than apt-cache search.

actually use cmd.exe PLEASE

Pajeet engineering

Watch out lads, we got ourselves a Microsoft® Windows™ Power User™ here!

You don't get it user. 64 bit applications need to continue using system32. 32 bit applications use sysWOW64. Obviously. Damn you must be a retard.

t. windows dev

Pajeet engineering would be breaking changes that don't even profit from being breaking changes.

This, though, is a case of strict adherence to backwards compatibility.

We are kind of reaching the physical limits of how dense a DRAM chip we can make.

>>SysWOW64

Attached: 1375727906491.jpg (206x217, 26K)

>Real mode is necessary for booting and direct hardware access (without drivers)
Not true btw. You can go into protected mode and just set the privilege level for all processes to 0.

I mean, the PC chipsets still have all the hardware for floppy disks and parallel ports as well, it's just not connected to anything.

What exactly are the ancient stages?

Real mode where you can only access 1MB of memory in 64k chunks.

Actually the really useless operating mode that serves zero purpose at all is 16-bit protected mode (literally why, nothing's used it since Clinton's first term).

You boot up in real mode and to get to 64-bit mode you have to first go into 32-bit protected mode. That's a lot of bullshit setting up to do.

>They should just cut 32 bit support entirely already
But there's absolutely no reason to, only downsides.

You can't execute 16-bit instructions when the CPU is in 64-bit mode.

C:\ProgramData
C:\Users\
>All Users
>Default
>Default User
>Public
>(your name)
Also
C:\Program Files\Common Files

This was made long before Pajeets even knew what Microsoft is

>exe
>com

>20M
windows 3.1 isn't even that big in total
64bit x86 cpus aren't capable of running 16bit code, but you can emulate it, that said, 64bit windows doesn't emulate it (you can't run 16bit windows programs on 64bit windows), so there's no use for 'system' besides presumably to ease porting programs to 32bit/64bit

>64bit x86 cpus aren't capable of running 16bit code
when in 64bit mode, i mean, that is, you can't run both kinds at the same time

>task bar icons always grouped by default
Unironically better that way. Windows 7's dock-like taskbar is a vast improvement over the trad taskbar that it sported up till Vista.

>Core 0
>Core 1

why

This is the worst.

18: 03 moment of 2018/11/7? 18: 20 Dogeza?
17: 31 Syria beetle (girl figures?)? Despair? Is there a Montauk Project in the Homer Project?
16:49 Whoa salamander? 16: 55 Tomahawk? Abramerine? 16:58 Happy New Year? 17: 00 Dogeza?
16: 37 ● Yaritin? Abramerine? 16: 38 Hipporie tea (suicide)? * 2? dog? 16: 27 ● Dirt clinker?
16: 27 The Ultimate Idiot? 16: 28 Don Dong (Sumo wrestling element; cracking?) 16: 35 Hipporie tea (suicide)?
16:22 The Ultimate Idiot? 16: 24 Destroy excretion? 16: 25 Pizarro (● Two years ago, Pizarro heard that he used spiritual magic)? Sidebreaks
15: 26 p? (Tsukemon? Thief?) Pochi's name is also derived from Pong ?? 16: 17 Voice from the back of the head? 16: 21 Kissed?
15: 04 ● Anal insertion? 15: 09 ● Lottery lot? Invincible? Loving Six Sense (Haunted Mansion)?
15: 03 Masirito · younger brother · か が · が 奇愛 シ ッ ク ス ス セ ス は バ ル カ ン の ア ブ ラ メ リ ン で my qualification acquisition ultimate silly interdiction?

>/lib
>/lib64
>/usr/lib
>/usr/lib64
>/usr/libexec
>/bin
>/usr/bin
>all the programs that ignore .config and make their own dot folder directly in ~/
I know there is an LD_PRELOAD trick to avoid the last one but it's still annoying it isn't standard.

Also SATA0, DIMM0, etc.

Peak levels

big if true

C is an initial.
It means "common drive"
No idea what d or e mean though

No. A: is first floppy, B: is second, C: is third, harddrive, D: is optical or other partition

>first and only drive
"C" came from the era when people had two (as in one plus one) floppy drives, that were "A" and "B".

user.dat

>Safely Eject Hardware
>Eject

just kill me now
Why can't we just have a /config/ folder someplace and all backward compatibility can be done with a symlink?

If any of this actually triggers you...you probably should stop using computers. Forever.

Attached: kimtimeles.jpg (267x200, 16K)

The modes are

Real mode
Protected mode
32 bit mode
Long mode aka ia-32e mode

When booting Protected is skipped because you can enable it together with paging with a single instruction, it isn't a step like the others

hdd's started on C: for historical reasons, and has persisted for compatibility reasons
you can have windows on something besides C:, and even have nothing at all on C:, but some things might not work quite right (namely retarded things that just assume windows stuff is on C:, ignoring the environment)