/sm/ - software minimalism general

>What is computing minimalism?
linfo.org/unix_philosophy.html
suckless.org/philosophy/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimalism_(computing)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_bloat

>Why software minimalism?
- Fewer bugs
- Better and faster performance
- Lower memory footprint
- Better maintainability
- Higher scalability
- Longer software lifetime
- Smaller attack surface

>List of minimal OSes and distros
>Obscure minimal
Plan 9, FreeDOS, Minix3, Genode
>Meme minimal
Crux, Void, GuixSD, BSD, SourceMage
>Autistic minimal
Arch, Gentoo, Alpine, OpenBSD, LFS
>Most sane minimal
Debian (netinst)

>Minimal base Programs
>WM (window manager)
dwm
>Web browsers
Dillo, Surf, Links, w3m
>File Manager
Terminal
>Video/Music player
mpv or cmus
>Text editors
GNU nano or Vim
>Image viewer
FEH or sxiv
>Shells
mksh or dash
>Terminal
st

>Useful links
Suckless: suckless.org/rocks
Cat-v.org: harmful.cat-v.org/software/
Window Managers: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_X_window_managers
Without Systemd: without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
Alternatives to Bloatware: github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/ALTERNATIVES.md

>Website development
werc.cat-v.org/
learnbchs.org/
tools.suckless.org/quark/
motherfuckingwebsite.com/

Attached: C.png (341x479, 22K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gopher_(protocol)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>no devuan in OS list
>no sam in text editors
come on son

LARP: The Thread
Seriously, you've listed some good software and making sure to avoid software bloat is a good idea for sure, but you are essentially a cultist who created a software ideology simply because you like the aesthetic. But what's the point? The people who reply to me are going to try to paint me as some Electron-loving, privacy-hating idiot.

>no devuan in OS list
without systemd.org has all your without systemd meme distros listed
>no sam in text editors
suckless.org
>but you are essentially a cultist
ego
>who created a software ideology simply because you like the aesthetic.
this ideology is the best because the programmers are the most competent. competence is what everyone lacks.

>just debian without systemd
>make it into a new distro
absolute state of linux community

Some people use plan9 and openbsd.

There's something to be said for simplicity, elegance and orthogonality. All of the software listed in the OP (except for Arch meme) is well-known for being reliable, intuitive, and fast.
A gutted debian installation running dwm can run on 15+ year-old hardware without a problem, yet it is all modern, well-maintained software so you can A) rely on it getting security updates, and B) use modern software to the absolute maximum extent that the limited hardware allows.

The ideology behind this stuff wasn't invented by a LARPing Jow Forumstard, it's existed for decades. Granted, the UNIX guys followed it more out of necessity than out of ideology- a PDP-11 simply couldn't handle massive, monolithic programs.
However, as computers became more powerful, it was quickly realized that this was still the best way of doing things- small, simple programs that do a single thing, and are designed to work together through a standard input and output, can be chained together when necessary to perform complex tasks. This improves scalability because you only pay for what you use. It also improves versatility for obvious reasons. Also, many small programs that have no shared state, and only interface through a single consistent point, allows for improved multicore performance, which is critical in the modern era of multicore consumer computers.

Devuan also has all its own PPAs

Why do these threads always make a handful of people angry? What is it about software minimalism that makes a minority of people upset?

Take this guy for instance: Who pissed in his coffee? Why is he actually upset?

I really don't know user, that guy actually seemed pretty reasonable relative to most of them, at least he mentioned that there is some merit to this stuff.

suckless.org/rocks*
coffee is bloat. Water is the only thing you should drink. Warm water. All the drinks are bloat.

Will be installing void on my sister's shitty HP today. How do I deal with programs I need to configure from source (such as dwm or st)?

Well first you configure them, then you build them.

For dwm, You don't need to configure fuck all. Just install it and memorize a few keyboard shortcuts and you're set.

If you want to change the look, you need to edit config.h

If you want to add extra bloat, you install patches.

with the dwm stuff, it's all documented on their website. Non-dwm things might be more complex, some will likely require autotools (disgusting).

I guess my question was how the fuck do I use xbps-src to build packages with patches. Is it the xnew shit I see on some sites? That seems more geared toward creating new templates.

Because it is basically telling people their favorite software is bad

dwm masterrace checkin in

Attached: Dwm_dual_monitor.jpg (1000x750, 826K)

It's the same reaction as when fit people insult fatsos to hit the gym.

computers were unironically better before the 90's and that's coming from someone born in '96

>somebody created a thread for software that doesn't include the software I like, this makes me upset

Is that really what's going on? How pathetic...

Minimalism doesn't have to mean 'less capable' either. Consider plan 9 - minimizing the interfaces to just filesystem i/o means the 9p protocol allows network distributed systems to be created more easily.

>black keyboard with grey keycaps
excellent taste
also have you considered that dwm (and x itself, really) might be bloat in your use-case?
you seem to do mostly terminal work based on your screenshot, only having a web browser and some pretty squigly thing
you might be better off doing away with x entirely and just using a multiplexer
thats what i do for my desktop, i only web browse and post on chans on my laptop
i use desktop for work and laptop for play
that may be your only computer, so it might not work for you
it is worth thinking about though

>you are essentially a cultist who created a software ideology simply because you like the aesthetic
Literally half of Jow Forums. Nothing wrong with attraction to an aesthetic and associating with like-minded people. If it bothers you add *fetch and minimalism to your filter list, but don't be a killjoy

hmm

we need more ppl like u in this world bro

who here has the minimal haircut?

Attached: justin-timberlake-buzz-cut.jpg (640x866, 79K)

based and redpilled

>who here has the minimal haircut?
Degenerates.

t. long haired greasy motherfucker
that shit is bloat

>All of the software listed in the OP (except for Arch meme) is well-known for being reliable, intuitive, and fast.
>fast
you don't magically get performance out of minimalism, glibc and gnu coreutils for example, are a lot faster than their minimal counterparts

>t. long haired greasy motherfucker
You're new here, aren't you?

This is 4channel. Jow Forums is down the hall, to the right, stupid cunt.

I could go on forever about the tricks you can do with plan 9 systems across the network. irc-alike systems with just a 9p hubfile and cat/echo to read and write messages. automatic union of remote and local device files when connected to a cpu server. system role assignment iand config ntegrated with pxe/dhcp and dns via the network database connections service.

>simply because you like the aesthetic
What aesthetic?

Is there some benefit on going from i3 to dwm? I feel pretty comfy on i3 and have everything to my taste but I always wondered.

My exact thought.

I'm personally a fan of the dynamic tiling DWM does. In i3 you need to tell the WM whether you want to split vertically or horizontally whenever you want to open a new window. In DWM and other WMs that work like it (xmonad, Awesome) you have predefined layouts the windows automatically tile into. Since I rarely have more than 3 windows open on one workspace at once this is far more efficient. It also enables things like switching layouts without having to manually rearrange windows.

>Debian is recommended
>Useful links: suckless & without systemd

Attached: E2F58641ACE343898932040F40BC65D8.jpg (640x613, 56K)

spongebobs is bloatbob

Lets bring more variety.
>What games minimalists like play if any?
Roguelikes, MUDs, and maybe interactive fiction (like Zork) is my guess. They are fun as hell and was talking in another thread about cyberpunk themed MUDs like Sindome. Also on /vg/ we have a roguelike general.

Not him but I don't feel like I need all that fancy stuff. pressing a shortcut to toggle between horizontal and vertical every once a while is okay with me, I can't imagine giving up my i3 config and starting from scratch just for that.
>disliking slow bloated software makes you a cultist
t. seething gnome user

With the advent of 4channel everyone gets to experience being a new fag once more, and yes that includes (You).

Jow Forums is still the same honestly

ITT: missing features == lightweight

If that was the case we'd all be shilling Gnome.

gnome is missing tons of features that are vital to daily use, there is no reason to shill it

do your gf have nice features

tits and ass are bloat, literally

bump

Attached: Niklaus_Wirth-1030x679.jpg (1030x679, 94K)

About to install a new distro, cant decide between LFS and guixsd. Moving from NIXOS as i couldnt get the hang of the language and the docs suck. I will be doing the installation and initial setup with out internet for which I think LFS is the better option.

>recommending vim, the bloated vi
>nano over ed
>using any text editors at all rather than shell pipes

>falling for suckless
Please do as Uriel.

>inb4 that faggot that claims knowing rich/successful people that uses suckless stack

People talk about 'ed' like its a joke, but it is actually a nice tool and knowing the basics will help you in situations (like debugging via serial console) where no other editor will work.

Do I need absolute minimalism if my base system is small? My laptop runs FreeBSD with xfce. My largest packages are a full latex install and Firefox. Is this an issue for /sm/? Because everything just werks and I still have plenty of disk space and leftover ram

That is a moderately minimal setup. We kind of need a need a minimalism scale, from bloat to wiring your own NAND gates.

100: gaming windows normie style
75: ubuntu
50: (minimalism begins here) freebsd+xfce
35: openbsd + dwm
25: plan 9
15: dos on devboard
5: forth on microcontroller

what text editors should people use then?

DE are absolute bloat. Understand?

Have any of you web dev fags actually use bchs

>coffee is bloat. Water is the only thing you should drink. Warm water. All the drinks are bloat.
You're trying to be funny, but it's true. Water and tea are the only non-bloat drinks.

Im not trying to be funny you retarded bloatnigger.
tea, coffee, alcohol etc
all drinks are bloat
tea and coffee both have caffiene.
caffiene is for brain dead niggers

water is the only thing you should drink because the chemical structure is not bloat

How is green tea bloat, kid

It's bloat because caffiene retard.
It's the same as coffee, might as well drink coffee, ffs

Mormons get out.

all Religions are bloat
both are my (you)s

Debian + OpenRC

how to do

Let me guess, you drink de-ionized water?

this is sexy desu

Attached: plan9.png (1280x800, 45K)

But you can just wring a sponge

>C
>minimalist
lmao

Whats so bad about Notepad++

Plan9 is awesome

it's creator is a gigantic douche nozzle.

it's also overrated. it was popular in a time where your only real alternatives were going vi or emacs. now there is a lot of nice editors on the market.

Attached: 1542748327876.png (768x1536, 48K)

Your use case is interesting although a bit extreme tbhfam

Not him but Elvis, is even more lightweight than nvi but I've been recommending it because it can render html and groff

>renders html and groff
>lightweight
A text editor should only be used to edit text nothing more nothing less.

>ed
Modern implementations of ed and ex are just vim pretending so you might as well just use vim (or nvi, or whatever)

>html
>roff
>not text
>not lightweight
Elvis is leagues lighter than vim bloat you uncultured swine

I'm in where do you guys hangout? Freenode?

Friends and having connections is bloat.

I hang over several IRC all day, the Jow Forums channels are surprisingly underwhelming in front of the rest. They start good though but when the time passes I rather spent time on well known IRC channels where they talk about their specific topic.

>ctrl+alt+f*
it's called getty dummy

You mean Ctrl-Alt-F[1-8]?

>1-8
>F8
Wut?

Fixed the bloat.

Attached: 1513457542780.png (580x903, 51K)

Gopher is the non-bloat alternative to the web.

we need more ppl like u in this world bro.

Attached: 35539611_194219177905683_8079591511144005632_n.jpg (1080x1350, 232K)

>making it a 51KB image at all and not a few bytes of text

BLOAT

this
Fuckin bloatniggers

Gopher is perfect for transmitting information without a bloated interface. Ideal for indexed information like lists and plaintext. Bucktooth, the gopher server, has an http exit through a plugin, is ideal for a minimalist server.

this
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gopher_(protocol)

Who uses surf here?

Attached: Surf_screenshot.png (885x766, 1.94M)

Get the fuck out of here.

Attached: 1515237799906.gif (82x125, 693)

Can you post on here with it?

No, but you're not meant to use it that way. A single protocol doesn't have to be all things to all men.

I just look for a minimal way to post here, I rather use links2 to browse the internet. Links2 supports Firefox/Chromium bookmarks and has a graphical mode, don't need more to browse the Internet. Still I need a way to post on 4chinz tho.

If only I could post on Jow Forums with this

Attached: links2.png (1280x720, 83K)

nobody should post on Jow Forums