Can we finally settle the debate as to whether the botnet meme is real

I can never tell if Jow Forums is joking or not

Attached: 1200px-Google_Chrome_icon_(September_2014).svg[1].png (1200x1200, 183K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XiGwAvd5mvM
youtube.com/watch?v=0s8ZG6HuLrU
opensource.org/node/711
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes.

hmm... would a ad selling company collect user data to target better ads?

no, of course not.. don't be silly

also, their Moto is "Don't be evil"... this would blatantly invalidate their Moto.

Attached: Unknown.png (225x225, 5K)

i still believe in "if you are not paying for it you are the product"

desu selling data to ad companies and not chinese hackers that want your credit card info is a complete different thing

>can use Drive for free
>can also pay for Drive
Does not compute.

Yes , everything proprietary and everything open source that you didn't check yourself is botnet.

Attached: 8753813038_eff38d9f29_b.jpg (1024x768, 440K)

It's real but you really shouldn't care. The botnet doesn't care about any of the petty shit you think is important; it only cares about your purchasing habits and advertising-related interests.

well yeah, the former is immoral, the later is illegal you fuck..

are you seriously defending google for not indulging in illegal practices?

yes, of course it is, are you braindead

He asked if chrome is a potential botnet. Collecting user data has nothing to do with that.

>Collecting user data has nothing to do with that.
well, then what does the botnet do instead of collecting user data? Botnets just collect user data which you didn't agree upon to give them lol

>is the botnet a meme
to an extent, chrome collects data on your browsing patterns (history, cookies, logins, time spent on page, etc) and sells it along with your demographic info from your account.

do people ever see it? no, its probably instantly ran through some sort of analysis and most likely not even recognizable upon arrival. in short, yes it does exist but your life is ultimately worthless and it's not worth the trouble to keep tabs on you through those means

No, that simply isn't the definition of a botnet. To make sure I wasn't going crazy, I googled it and the general consensus is a botnet is a piece of software that controls multiple computers without the users knowing. I am sure that chrome has some abilities that could be used to bring about such an effect, such as auto updating, constantly being connected to google, etc, but collecting user data has nothing to do with exerting control over the users' machines to do a task without the users' knowledge.

well, they control your browser to send them some of your data without you knowing, so it still doesn't violate your definition

It's fine
Just autists being autists
Yes they collect data
No it's nothing important

thats not a botnet

>yes they collect data
I wonder who (((they))) are

the whole point is that Chrome isnt customisable and thus google can control what it does with it. A botnet doesnt necessarily have to control entire computers, it can just mean that the person who owns the software can control it remotely without your permission, which is what Google does with Chrome to get your data.

Botnets are generally used to act against other conputers, which chrome may have the potential to be used for if compromised, but that's mostly an issue of connotation, so I see your point.

>Didn't watch the congressional hearing where Google lawyers not only admit its real but they're making an even worse version in China

>is
Was! They removed the motto

Lines of code

anything that isnt open source should be assumed to be a botnet at this point

No shit its real. Google is hooked into the Prisim. So is Microsoft.

There are better alternatives. To both.

Attached: 1542400099745.png (422x357, 161K)

Are you a child? When something is being made and released (unless for a hobby or for general public use (gnu/FOSS)) there are hidden cost.

Data or adverts you pay a toll. You have no idea how much data these tracking agencies have on you even if you run some browser plugins. They even buy purchase history from VISA accounts in order to track you.

Watch Citizenfour if you think I'm full of shit.
youtube.com/watch?v=XiGwAvd5mvM

Attached: 1539027375463.jpg (2048x1145, 289K)

The exact reason I stay far away from GNU/Linux and so-called "free" software.

I get confused about this.
Im wondering if the best method us hide in plain sight. I spent a lot of time switching to protonmail and moving off all google. In the end im wondering if its worth it cause google maks everything so easy.

The question is if its worth the effort. It will cost time and money to move off their service.
Also youre a bigger target by not using their service.

Sure. Stop being ignorant, pay attention, and care about the boiling toad that is our internet privacy. It is not a meme. Shit is real.

that is the correct definition of it. anons here call it stuff 'botnet' if a piece of software has some hidden and unwanted functionality.

youtube.com/watch?v=0s8ZG6HuLrU

You're the one being ignorant. if you equate "botnet" to internet privacy because of trackers, then google isn't the botnet in your definition, every single website that allows 3rd party trackers is

Why don't you define botnet

OP did you hit yourself in the head a little bit too hard that you're not able to comprehend that it's not that blatantly difficult to collect user data over your internet connection and profit from it if you're a big corporation

I mean, thems the extreme tinfoil hatters and then there's the opposite, which is you. The people that have been shown enough that will fucking literally lose money over it and still believe that they have a good will. What kind of rock do you live under that you haven't noticed? Even my tech illiterate sister knows these fuckers at least collect some information.

they moved it, they didn't remove it

"collect user data over your internet connection" is not the definition of botnet, read the god dam thread. No one is denying google does collect data, but that isn't what a botnet is.

this

you must be really new here. next post you gonna tell that guy that liking cheese pizza is a perfectly normal thing irl.

it is astonishing since your posts are dumber than the GCHQ and FBI agent posts and even they are pretty retarded

are you joking OP? there's no way someone on here can be this ignorant

refusing to conform to Jow Forums's retardation does not equate to being new, You wont believe me but I do not frequent Jow Forums I frequent /v/, however i've been visiting Jow Forums on and off for years, I always argue when I come here. I love how you completely refused to acknowledge what I said by trying to prove me wrong with the definition of botnet, because you know Jow Forums uses it wrong.s

>being this new

>I do not frequent Jow Forums I frequent /v/
Figures

>It's real but you really shouldn't care
opensource.org/node/711

>Took the out
>Also basically admitting he can't tell the difference between new or not
>still didn't define botnet
right back at ya

Hello Google!
Link?
/thread

>conflating different definitions of "privacy", hand-waving over the differences
>citing only the grandest of grand social progress whose movements had nothing to do with privacy, but in fact many of them progressed precisely BECAUSE decreasing privacy brought them into the public eye
>no economic arguments whatsoever
I thought so. _I_ could argue these children's side better than they could.

>literally a company whose main moneymaker is datamining you
what is there to debate?

Attached: 1539310451530.jpg (436x361, 40K)

Just use Ungoogled Chromium.

compilers can insert unsafe code. Are you going to start compiling by hand aswell?

Not that guy but i see your points.
Still if anyone wanted info on you it would just be a simple query to pull all your information.
Theres no issue as long as you trust these companies and what they do with your information. Most people dont but if they saw how readily available it was on the backend i bet they would be a lot more concerned.

actual botnet? no.
Jow Forums definition of botnet? yes, but desu unless you're a person of interest, who gives a fuck?
i block ads with adblock anyway
and i opt out of Google's personalized ads
and even if i manage to somehow see a targeted ad, who fucking cares? I'm not gonna buy shit. in fact, seeing ads makes me LESS likely to buy that item or brand because seeing ads annoys me. if Google's AI is worth anything, they'd know that about me by now.

what can they even use about me to serve me ads based on? my main leisure expense is hookers. Google can't serve ads for that lol.

The problem with that is it isn't "anyone" or else even I could do it, not even everyone in the same company has access to the database. Albeit that doesn't mean we shouldn't be concerned, but to say "anyone" makes the scope seem a lot larger than it actually is

You don't have to, it's not even possible to botnet you more than Winblows 10

dont use chrome if you want maximum privacy. if you dont care, use chrome.

Yes anyone meams anyone with the authority to do so in the company, the people they sell it to, and any sort of law enforcement or government agency.

Don’t use proprietary software if you can help it. The product is no longer the software, it’s the data they gain from it.

how new r u? Go back to plebbit you dumb nigger

Yes because the logo is a camera.

Exactly, how many people actually have that authority at google or memebook?

Also those two specifically don't sell your data, as that would be a one time charge, instead they sell adspace and the ability to target them to people which allows them to hold control of their data without giving it out and still make money off it, so competition has to gather it themselves if they actually want the data.

Like if an ad company wanted to target all gay people, they wouldn't ever be explicitly told OP is gay, they just know it went out to everyone google thinks is gay, unless you buy the product or tell the adcompany some other way like on twitter they don't know that OP is gay

As for governments, yes this is true but these are the same people that already have plenty of info on you like your tax information, SSN, Schools you went to etc etc, So it wouldn't surprise me to have them know I like chinese cartoons. Not to mention they control the law, if they wanted to kill your, rob you, or do some other awful thing with your personal info they could do it with or without your internet info

Nice get.

All that stuff is unkown. Who knows how many people have access to your data and how its handled. It all cimes down to your threat level. If you trust any company with your information no action is needed. The others will look for companies that open source software, encyption, and are transparent with their practices.

I didn't mean to appear anti open source, encryption, or transparent but I mean, You can visit this site on an open source browser, through an encrypted TLS connection, google says that is what they do with their trackers so that is pretty transparent to me, And their analytics cookies are on this page, I don't know how smaller companies saying they don't sell your data is more valid than google saying it. but the point is you can still be tracked and logged doing those 3 things so I didn't mean to appear opposed to them

fpbp

this is why you write your own compiler in a custom made ARM CPU

Firefox and google chrome are fucking bloated botnets. So is enabling javascript.

Bloatniggers

what does that have to do with my post you attention seeking faggot

quotespamming should be bannable

epic

Chrome logo = 666

G Is THE JOKE