I want to become super tech savvy

Like, I want to become so good that the FBI and CIA would hire me for web security and development.

Thing is, I am super ignorant about computers and am pretty much a casual user with almost no knowledge aside from your typical normie info in order to do basic operations.

What should I learn first? The science of hardware? The ins-and-outs of my OS (windows)? Coding logic? Coding languages??

What are the logical, sequential steps for someone who isn't tech savvy to become a master?

Attached: 200w.gif (200x154, 35K)

Honestly. Just have a general interest in technology. A bit of everything

>coding

Attached: 1454456921338.gif (240x228, 858K)

Nigga idk. I don't even know why that reaction makes sense. I've already stated I'm not tech savvy, so please point me in the right direction.

What did you learn first? I'm sure there's some sequence that makes the most logical sense, right?

There are a lot of courses on udemy and various tech books on the internet, so just start from something.

You already failed the first test, you asked here instead of google'ing.
I wish you a happy future as a starbucks collaborator.

First start by uninstalling Windows and installing Linux, after that learn about the file system and shell scripts; then learn some programming languages-preferably scripting languages like Perl-after that learn low level stuff like C and C++. Once you have the basic foundation mastered, you will only grow from there.

I have a Lynda account, I think I'll start with that. Do you think learning hardware before software matters much or nah? I just wanna be as efficient as possible in learning everything about computers and the power they weild.

/thread
There is a lot of posts on the internet and free or pirated materials for studying yet he comes here to spoonfeed him.

I've googled and YouTube'd. I just figured I'd ask some real life people who are tech savvy their opinion, instead of a heartless search engine with results. I can't communicate with an article.

Read

>What are the logical, sequential steps for someone who isn't tech savvy to become a master?

buy an Arduino Uno and make the LED blink. If you have much trouble doing this and you have to ask anyone for help then you should stick to your McDonald's career.

Um ok thx

>I've googled and YouTube'd. I just figured I'd ask some real life people who are tech savvy their opinion, instead of a heartless search engine with results. I can't communicate with an article.

Then you are in luck, because there's a new movement to stop considering merit and use feelings to hire and promote. If you are a white male you probably should consider transitioning to female or some other non-male gender.

Attached: 1536796006939.jpg (600x500, 64K)

Just go to udemy and pirate them, like on freetutorials.
Udemy has a better courses with a various critics about each of them on their site or other forums out of there because it is more popular on the internet.

I think you should learn about software like programming and get employed, then from there you can learn about hardware in your free time or with your colleague.
Don't fall for book first meme, of course book is better and there is a lot of information, but for beginner like you, udemy course is much better for your time.

Attached: giphy.gif (245x219, 948K)

lol you have no idea how much time it will take you
this isn't like just learning to drive a truck or learning french
lol
it takes u decades of daily commitment
if you dont know where to start (google btw) you already failed
get a mcjob

Thx!

>What did you learn first?
I guess I learned about computer architecture as the very first thing when I was like... 7 or 8?
Y'know, that computers have RAM, "Cold" storage and CPUs etc. It probably came out of a curiosity towards what magnets could stick to, so I tried my dads computer... Kinda broke it

based on the way you are communicating in this thread, it is safe to assume you are black
there isn't much hope for you to become a powerful computer wizard, but you should be able to get a job with computers if you are even 1% competent since you are non-white
Good luck job-hunting!

You know what's even more heartless than a search engine? A computer.

Good luck also my advice is just start learning and stop searching for advices on the internet, it can drain your time and overwhelm your brain from all the information.

I speak from my experience, where I lost a lot of time about deciding what to study etc.

Back in 2012 I started computer science in college and I didn't know shit about computers.
I unironically forced myself to lurk Jow Forums day and night until I could understand every single thread posted here. To this day, I know more about technology than most of my peers, and I'm halfway through a PhD in artificial intelligence

I'm willing to spend 10+ years learning. Why try and deter someone who's willing to learn? I know how daunting and ambitious this is. I have 2 friends who are high level programmers, one who designs the secure programs that banks use to move money around, and one who works with doctors doing...medical stuff.

I know how long it took them to get to where they are at. Over 10 years. I'm willing to learn. All I was asking for was if some tech savvy guys like yourselves knew what was best to start with.

>I unironically forced myself to lurk Jow Forums day and night until I could understand every single thread posted here.

Same here, I learned a lot from fags like you. I cringe sometimes of myself in 2010 where I tought I know the shit.

Yep! And I'm cool with that, I just meant that I can't have a discussion or follow up questions with articles I searched on google.

Just start studying now, I am 100% sure you got all the important information for yourself.

Okay, thanks!

Lol

That's pretty cool. What would you teach someone first if you had to choose?

Ok thx

It's not worth it user
It's worthless without a college degree

literally just find something that interests you and go with it. Modding games, making a website, whatever. Even if you just follow tutorials at first, you're going to have SOME of that information stick. then you can use that as you slowly expand your projects.

Sadly this

>not learning to program in LISP when you're 5
brainlet

Not to me it's not.

If I WERE to go to college, what do they teach first?

I just want a logical starting point lmao

But thx for answering.

I don't know, you lazy fuck. Lurk the fucking board and Google terms you don't know.
There are no shortcuts.

>tech illiterate
>makes a thread on a tech board full of neckbeards that will do nothing but call you a retard
retard

But should I learn coding, OS, or hardware first?

Not everyone was a neckbeard. About 50% of the responses were polite and helpful. I appreciate those guys.

Lurk moar newfag

okay

Stop being the big gay, your questions don't actually make sense in context. I'll give it a shot though. I work in cybersec for a government contractor. I do not currently hold a tech degree. I've been interested in computers and solving problems and messing around for like 16-17 years. If you want to actually learn anything, I recommend just finding something you think is cool. Do research and build your own PC. Dual boot it for the experience. Then learn to program. Start with something easy like Python and JavaScript, then move on to something more complicated like C#, C++, or whatever.

Additionally, I recommend finding the kind of job you want and reading the requirements. Then try and meet them.

Thanks.

My first year of college (Spain) was:
Maths (Algebra and Calculus)
Coding in C
Computer Architectures
Electric circuits and the workings of transistors / diodes
and then a few filler subjects

i dont really know what they teach first in USA though

>i dont really know what they teach first in USA though

Gender Studies
Personal Pronouns
Advanced Addition and Subtraction
Arduino Uno LED Blink

Nand2tetris

thx!

Thanks, that's helpful.

It's funny because it's true. Any random Yuri out of college knows more than the random burger graduate.
The big difference is that the McDonald's squad optimize their colleges for having high rankings

dicksquad

WE HAD MERIT, the white version of WE WUZ KANGS

LMAO epic

become an informant

Firstly, you should stop talking like a nigga. You sound uneducated.

Secondly, you need to identify what part of tech you like. Security? Programming? Hardware? Engineering?
This is a large field and you really need to know which direction you want to go. Having general knowledge is good but to think you could become a master of everything is foolish.

Important! Learn how to think logically. Logic is everything. You will fail without it. No nigger logic allowed pls (again, clean up your vocabulary).

So yeah. Figure out what you want first than ask. No one can tell you what you want.
Obviously, you want to do this because it's trendy and you can make good money but it'll never happen if you can't figure out what you want.

Fake and gay, Jow Forums is an utter waste of time. Even /dpt/ is.

>Firstly, you should stop talking like a nigga.
Example?

>Secondly, you need to identify what part of tech you like. Security? Programming? Hardware? Engineering?
>This is a large field and you really need to know which direction you want to go. Having general knowledge is good but to think you could become a master of everything is foolish.
I want to be as good at all of it as possible, but I guess my primary interest is halting malicious online hacking.

>No nigger logic allowed pls
Racism is very unbecoming. Nothing wrong with being black.

>Obviously, you want to do this because it's trendy and you can make good money
That's actually the last thing I'm interested in. I don't want to make this a career. I just want to be incredibly capable with a computer. For myself.

Arduino boards
Raspberry Pi's
these are hobby kits which have tons of documentations and tutorials and can help you pick up new skills, specifically in the Internet of Things phenomenon which is currently expanding
they're also cheap

It's a waste of time now, but conversation Jow Forums was different 6-8 years ago.

>I always wanted to do thing
>but I never cared about thing until now and won't care in 2-3 days anymore anyway

Attached: 1541266575571.png (235x245, 103K)

When did I say I ALWAYS wanted to do it? It's a new interest. People acquire new interests, lol.

Okay, thanks!

>What are the logical, sequential steps for someone who isn't tech savvy to become a master?
There aren't any. Just try lots of stuff, you will see what you actually like doing and what you dont.
The more you know, the better you can potentially be

Okay cool.

also Raspberry Pis can be setup for NetSec like in the case of PiHole's
Pi's also come in different configurations and prices but the most expensive one is $40, search them up
Arduino boards are microcontroller boards and can help you learn coding for machines and other projects

I appreciate all of this info, man.

no problem man, it was pretty much the point of their creation, they're learning tools which is why they're not powerful and cheap
you could use a Pi B+ as a computer if you wanted to, but it's not recommended as it' quite lacking in processing power but they're good for the purpose you're seeking

also, once you've got a decent amount of knowledge from learning on these, specifically with learning things in relation to Linux, you can transition to coding on PCs or netsec with professional routing equipment or servers
this is probably one of the least costly methods of dipping your toes in the pool

I think that C and C++ are garbage ways to learn programming. I learned C++ first and Jesus Lord, I didn't learn programming, I learned to program around the idiosyncracies of C++. Picking up C# showed me that my distaste for solution architecture and implementations wasn't coming from disliking programming, it was from working with C++.

Don't get me wrong, I think that C++ and C are essential tools for the industry. But I think they're terrible teaching tools. Part of what makes students enthused is having something fun to show for it. Three months of Python or Python has you thinking programmatically and has you equipped to do things you want to do, like make a game, model some data, build a simple application. But C++? You can make a console application that prints a number. I know we all learned these shit languages first, and a lot of us see the gantlet as a trial by fire and paying dues, but I think that's bad thinking.

you think learning C++ is bad? trying having no experience whatsoever and having Visual Basic shoved down your throat, and that was just for MIS

Yeah I have a pretty powerful computer, but I'll def look into Pi. My programmer buddy is into them.

Awesome!

I've been there, too. Early high school for me. That was my first unsuccessful attempt to enjoy programming. But we don't really do VB anymore in the classroom. It happens, but it's not common. Although I think that VB is better as a teaching tool than C++. You can build graphical applications without having to get neck deep in dependencies.

bump

Oh don't get me wrong, I feel the same way. Teaching C / C++ first is just asking for your students to write horribly vulnerable just code to print shit on consoke instead of letting them learn a simpler language first.