Our lock is unbeatable, even an iron man champion can't cut it with appropriate tools!

>our lock is unbeatable, even an iron man champion can't cut it with appropriate tools!
>gets picked in under a minute and cut in 16 seconds by a youtuber that's nowhere near Iron man levels of strength

Why is it that the products that boast the most about security are always the easiest to break into? Here's the video if you don't know what I'm talking about:

youtu.be/D-On0DGcDlc

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 178K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/pywN558dJaU
m.corriereadriatico.it/ancona/articolo-3869641.html
youtube.com/watch?v=cXK2yh5eNTU
securitysnobs.com/Abloy-Protec2-PL-362-Shrouded-Hardened-Steel-Padlock.html
youtube.com/watch?v=rnmcRTnTNC8
youtube.com/watch?v=JsVtHqICeKE
darknetdiaries.com/episode/6/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Tbh this guy's entire youtube career is breaking various locks. Also this applies to all heavily advertised products - the advertisement budget is coming straight off the r&d budget.

>he thinks advertising his own video on 4channel will generate engagement or views
retarded newfag

desu
senpai
onions

It's easy: unbeatable locks don't exist

>hurr what is marketing
Please give the tablet back to your caretaker and tell them to change the password.

Whew, for a minute I thought the wordfilter is gone.

The point of a bike lock isn't to be unbeatable, its' to be stronger than the lock of a bicycle next to yours.

Just weld your door every time you leave your house.

I know seasoned lockpickers are not that relevant to the security of a device (who te the hell picks bike locks anyway?), but the cable cutters thing is a joke.

And you're probably right about R&D and marketing departments, yesterday I spent 50 bucks on a padlock with the second highest "security ranking" the manufacturer provides. Proceeded to pick it open on my first try in under five minutes; no security pins, gaps wide enough to fit multiple shivs through, shackle made from soft steel... Come the fuck on

what if all bikes have the same lock

Afaik lock picking lawyer is a reddit user. Also I'm neither him nor a lawyer

Then Buy a better one than them...

That's exactly what a lawyer would say

Just get a padlock with those half-cylinder keys, regular lockpickers won't bother even with the cheapest ones. And avoid self-locking locks.

Attached: one-steel-door-key-for-disc-tumbler-lock-isolated-on-white-background-X2W8KP.jpg (1300x752, 92K)

ive seen a few of that guy's videos and he typically uses hydraulic bolt cutters

Sorry bud but I legally have to flex on you

Further elaborating, since you guys love retarded opsec: I bought the padlock after visiting my local museum and noticing that model is all they use to lock up exhibits after closing hours. Same museum was broken into a few years ago. They had cameras, but with no infrared. Since the thieves didn't turn on the lights to steal shit, the footage was completely useless

No comments

This seems like an interesting mechanism. I might try picking one open after researching how it works

>our lock is unbeatable
Not with those this individual cables it isn't. And he wouldn't have needed 28" cutter if he attempted to cut them separately.
Here's another interesting video:
youtu.be/pywN558dJaU

The two locks thing is a great idea. As with any security, it's more important to be harder to breach than the other guy down the street than it is to be impenetrable

>
>Just weld your door every time you leave your house.
>oxy acetylene fuel + torch in my jeans pocket
>system status: hacked

Just enclose yourself in a diamond and never come out

Locks only exist to keep people honest and discourage acts of opportunity, it's just a deterrent.
It won't discourage someone from stealing your shit if they REALLY want it.
But someone who isn't looking to steal YOUR bike isn't gonna be walking down the street with gigantic bolt cutters.
What's stopping you from going to any bike and busting out your angle grinder and getting away in 30 seconds?
You're creating a scene and making a spectacle, which increases your likelihood of getting caught.

if it's a hidden lock then it's unbeatable as long as it remains undiscovered

I see them in Russia all the time but it's pretty much unknown in Western countries. Strange, it's such a brain-dead simple yet effective mechanism.

I have cutters that can get through that no problem and I don't even bust locks. steel cable cutters are quite common you know.

>cable cutters
>not bolt cutters
>implying it could last acsr cable cutter

Only Americans buy that crap anyways.

Here in Europe, where we actually use bicycles on a daily basis for normal commutes not to be some hipster, we only listen to advice like

The point is to only use tools a thief could carry concealed and use without drawing too much attention.
No use showing how power tools can slide through any bicycle lock in under a second (although Bosnian Bill did make a video about that too)

those are not power tools you faggot

Hydraulic cutters are as big as the average bolt cutter, make the same small amount of noise, and take much less time than any handheld electrical tool while being more effective.
Someone with such tools can just pick and choose which bike/s he wants and walk away with it in a few seconds.

The best deterrent is to layer deterrents for each tier of thieves.
For example, the opportunistic one is deterred by having a stronger lock than the other nearby bikes.
A more motivated one is deterred by a bike with multiple locks, like a separate U-lock securing the bike to a fixed object and a thick chain securing the wheels to the frame AND the fixed object.
A serious thief is going to be deterred by the above, PLUS you taking the pedals, the seat, and possibly the handlebar with you, so it becomes nearly impossible tototo ride.
But the best deterrent is simply to have the thief not want the bike in the first place.
If you can make it look ugly and old even if it's an expensive high quality one, the thief isn't gonna waste time stealing it unless he's a bike nerd.

depending on where you live you might want to choose the first layer or all of them, but if all this isn't enough, just get a small foldable bike and carry it with you everywhere you go without ever leaving it outside.

I always wondered if those could be raked open or not.

Never seen a video and I am fairly convinced some thieves rake locks open but no thief alive has ever single pick picked as lock.

I know you cock monger

Until you get the "gang" that comes in with a van and in 2 minutes cleans the whole rack.
The idea that bike thiefs are alone and like the easiest path is often wrong.

Not only they can't be raked, they also need a special lockpick. And that's despite having a simpler mechanism without any springs.

Attached: rBVaG1aYXZOAQ9vPAADUVk2oo7M607.jpg (594x530, 42K)

No gang is going to bother with a rack full of random city bicycles.
Most of them aren't worth more than their weight in scrap metal on the 2nd hand market.

Hence me putting the word in quotes.
I'm not talking about the MS13 or some huge gang like that.
I'm talking about a bunch of moroccans with a van and bolt cutters making a quick bbuck.

Shit just doesn't happen.
They will steal cars, not fucking bicycles worth maybe 50 euro a piece.

I don't know where you are, but if you google for "bike thieves van" in Italian (ladri biciclette furgone) you find a bunch of them

Here's the first result:
m.corriereadriatico.it/ancona/articolo-3869641.html
Growing up here I remember hearing about this sort of thing in the news once in a while.

Just because you put 6 shitty braided steel wires together and wrap some plastic around it doesn't make it any less of an easy target. Just get a D-guard.

Honestly, the best bike security mechanism I've ever seen is just getting a folding bike and taking it with you.

>Iron man levels of strength
Ironman is triathlon i.e. cardio

If you don't live in New York or London and don't have a thousand-dollar bike, a gold-rated U-lock that you can get for $30 is going to be enough. OP's lock is just a gimmicky piece of shit that can't even survive bolt cutters.

Everyone knows these locks are crap, there's a video of some negro breaking one by just putting a pipe through it and twisting it around until it snaps

rip

Attached: milwaukee-angle-grinders-2783-20-64_1000.jpg (1000x1000, 58K)

>if it's a hidden lock then it's unbeatable as long as it remains undiscovered
You could call a conventional lock unbreakable until it gets broken too. What's your point?

Attached: 1499214833708.jpg (388x431, 70K)

>youtube career

Attached: Untitled.png (1230x523, 354K)

>locks
>opsec
You dont know what that word means

>Estimates differ by a factor of 10
what use is that?

Well, in his defense, operating a bike can be technically cnsidered an operation.

When my bike was stolen, it was because thieves unbolted the rack from the ground and took the entire rack of 5 bikes.
Bike locks are something I have given up on, now I ride a 5 dollar bike from a police auction at my university campus.

Yes creating stuff that entertains people and pays for your livelihood is a career, and no amount of your NEET screeching will change that.

>no amount of your NEET screeching will change that
Youtube monetiatization slowly ceasing to be a thing will, though.

They will find a new platform though, I think they always will

His career is being a lawyer. It's right there in the username

the primary purpose of locks are to discourage people from even attempting to break it. what's the point if nobody knows the lock is even there?

The new platform needs to have an audience big enough to be able to pay a high enough amount to make a career on it viable.
Sure, they can upload on any YouTube alternative or on FB or whatever, but will it be profitable?

The only alternatives I can think of are:
>FB starts paying video uploaders (possibly through an exclusive partnership program like YT used to have).
>They keep using video platforms that don't earn them enough but make money through other means (eBegging, shilling their own products, etc).

The first will probably make a big chunk of current youtubers fail due to FB's userbase having a different culture and wanting slightly different things.
The second will work for even fewer people because not everyone has the kind of fanbase that they can extract money from consistently throughout the years.

This is why a YouTube career is a high-risk/high-reward operation that has extremely small chances of turning profitable at all, and even when it does, has extremely small chances of continuing for the rest of your life like a real career, unless you're one of the top people who make millions and/or use it to launch a secondary career (or boost the one they already have).

I know you're joking, but I have to say, this is probably the dumbest post of the century, and we still have most of it to go.
Congratulations.

YouTube keeps the CPM under wraps, so it's really hard to gauge, and it depends on how engaged the audience is to the ads.

It also depends greatly on what kind of content you make.
If it's content that attracts high-paying advertisers, the CPM is gonna be much higher than content with low-paying or generic ads.

Those earnings numbers are maximum lol

To be fair, any lock can be opened with the large powerful and noisy tool. But there's no point in using one for the things and situations that these locks are designed for.
Will a nigger really use one of your pic just to steal a bike in the street? Makes no sense.

Except you don't need a large powerful noisy tool.

youtube.com/watch?v=cXK2yh5eNTU
Carrying this is no different than carrying regular bolt cutters.

Attached: 1517189330181.jpg (392x309, 141K)

This lock's been awesome for me;

securitysnobs.com/Abloy-Protec2-PL-362-Shrouded-Hardened-Steel-Padlock.html

That user is just being difficult. Bike theft is profitable especially when done in high volume. Theives could literally turn a profit by selling each stolen bike at $1. It's not like they purchased them, or anything, and there will always be a huge ROI.

That's his surname.

>hey guys let's take a standard lock, make it a bit less secure so we can shove """smart""" technology into it then introduce even more security vulnerabilities thanks to the shitty tech that we fill it with

I'll take "what are Bluetooth padlocks" for $500. Seriously, no one on any of the companies making these things ever thought "gee, maybe I shouldn't leave the only screw holding everything together on the outside of the lock. I probably shouldn't try to hold most of it together with glue either"?

>europoor opens his well stretched anus from being raped by immigrants daily to prevent those same immigrants from stealing his bike by folding and vacuuming it up into his buttocks

my favorite ones are the expensive "top tier" locks that say they're made out of high strength at x thickness. then someone does a tear down on it to find out that yeah, they're not lying. but pry in the corner of the faceplate and magically you can get right at the tumbler.

also those fucking things that amazon sells to customers so the delivery driver can open your door and put the package inside when you're not home

>then someone does a tear down on it to find out that yeah, they're not lying. but pry in the corner of the faceplate and magically you can get right at the tumbler.
I love this shit. Reminds me of people who actually have their notebooks encrypted behind strong passwords, only thing is they have said passwords attached to it on a sticky note.

Fun fact: my girlfriend used to work out at a women's only gym, which meant I hanged out at the front desk a lot waiting for her to be done. Once there was some commotion in the locker room because a woman had lost the key to the gym's issued padlock. I offered to help look for it, then happened upon the other keys. Which were are exactly the same. I didn't even know you could get two padlocks with exactly the same key, worse still get tens of it

if the gym provided them then most likely they unknowingly bough a batch of identically keyed locks (which is legit, some small businesses will use identical door locks and such if access isn't tiered and employees move around a lot - also custodians don't need 10 keys to clean 10 different rooms), or they did it on purpose so gym employees could unlock a locker or issue a new key if someone lost theirs. though somebody in management was being an idiot either way. especially for the second scenario - the proper way to do that is to get combination locks that have the same physical key but different combinations then keep the keys somewhere secure, so members each have a different combo but if someone forgets then the manager/owner/security can get a key, unlock it, then set a new combo

Where could I buy locks like this in the US? For a door or a padlock

Welcome to infosec friend.
youtube.com/watch?v=rnmcRTnTNC8

>destroys the blades
See, I know it's easily and cheap to replace but thieves will steal lots of bikes during the day, not just one.
Imagine having to switch blades just because a bike has one of those locks you pointed out.
There's no point in doing that when you've got less troublesome ways to steal a bike, like just going for a easier one or just taking them apart in the night.
These locks are virtually unbreakable because of those factors.

this fucking slut is everywhere aint it?

Attached: .png (651x1318, 378K)

Trips state otherwise.

actually in my last year of a computing security BS right now. I still find it hilarious how little attention to physical security or even just one person being an idiot can render an entire expensive, meticulously designed and fully audited security system useless. a few months ago I got to talk with a guy that owns a pretty decently sized and well respected security firm and found out that they do at least as much auditing of their clients' physical security as they do systems security. like the client giving auditors temp employee badges and not informing anybody else that they're there to audit, then waiting for said auditor to try and gain access to anything they shouldn't be able to access through social engineering, finding doors to secure areas propped open and other security measures bypassed by lazy idiots. he'd get contracts somewhat often that just wanted a standard audit to meet some digital information standard that didn't have an involved physical standard and convince them to allow a physical audit, which typically showed glaring holes. now, I already knew that kind of auditing was a thing, but it was interesting to hear that potentially signifigant issues with physical security popped up EXTREMELY more often than systems security vulnerabilities did through pentesting. when he hires new employees he puts more emphasis on them being able to adapt to different scenarios and easily learn things applicable to the kind of contract they're working on than just having a pile of certifications or being extremely skilled in one very specific thing - then can easily justify the expense of paying for them to get a specific cert if it's required

It's really scary if you get caught, I guess part it's part off the thrill? once youre done, maybe look into infosec.

the same applies, diamonds burn

>get folding bike and take it with you
>get mugged, beaten, and lose your bike
>system status: hacked with a twist of intensive care ward

>I didn't even know you could get two padlocks with exactly the same key, worse still get tens of it
Jesus user, normal people learn this in school, when they find their key opens about one in eight lockers.

can you explain what this is? i looked it up a little but everything is assuming you already know what the fuck it is

>puts latch and lock on other side of bar door making you reach through the bars to open it with a key
>cant get tools to it or see well enough to pick

heh. aint nothin personal my 4channel friends

It doesn't destroy the blade. It just damages it.
You can still cut at least a dozen of those extra strong locks with that blade, and you know not every bike will have that strong of a lock.

>just going for a easier one
Usually the more valuable the bike is, the harder it is to steal it.
If a bike has a shitty lock it most likely won't be worth much.

>just taking them apart in the night
I was already assuming that the thief would do this at night or in a place with no people.
The point of using a silent tool is so that you don't get people to come to you, so obviously it's best used where there's nobody around.

>There's no point in doing that when you've got less troublesome ways to steal a bike
Not all bike thieves are lone criminals looking for a quick buck.
Some actually steal all the bikes on the rack.

Look into the work of Jayson E. Street.
What he can do with the most incredible ease is both hilarious and frightening.
Highly recommend his DEFCON talks.
youtube.com/watch?v=JsVtHqICeKE
darknetdiaries.com/episode/6/

Disc tumbler lock or disc detainer lock. The guy from OP has a few videos on them. It uses discs instead of pins which makes regular lockpicks useless against it.
Try online shops.

Attached: disc-detainer-lock-pick-transparent-cutaway-disc-detainer-lock.jpg (800x800, 42K)

>Weld door when leaving the house
>robber just breaks the window
gg ez

>not welding the window

>having windows

>windows welded/ not present
>Go by the chimney/wall/point of least resistance
I actually saw that at a friends house, he had a massive padlock on his door, then someone just made a hole on his door next to it

>not padding the door with C4
Do you leave all your savings on your mat too?

Then he's a moron for not having a reinforced door to use the lock on.

He was just bragging about his "unbeatable" padlock that he got. I wouldn't be surprised if one of his acquaintances made the hole just to prove a point to his smug face

Having an unbeatable lock on a weak door is like encrypting your computer with the world's best encryption and setting "password" as the password.

>reddit users on 4channel
Wow,,, very surprised

This is what I don't get. What running for hours, swimming for hours and riding a bycicle for hours has to do with arm strength?

>Tbh
Nani the fuck
Pic related was the captcha I got for this post

Attached: Screenshot_20181126-131859.jpg (1080x2280, 483K)

It's simple marketing my man.
Ironman sounds like pure strength to someone who doesn't know about it, and among those who do, only a part of them knows about the distinction between activities that require being good at aerobic vs anaerobic activities.
Plus he's certainly much stronger than the average person anyway, so it proves that they didn't get some wimp to cheat on the test, without having to get someone like Hafthor Bjornsson that would've certainly smashed it in a second.