Theoretically, can you get so good at using ffmpeg from the command line and btfo any guifags doing video editing?

theoretically, can you get so good at using ffmpeg from the command line and btfo any guifags doing video editing?

Attached: ffmpeg.png (230x165, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mltframework.org/docs/melt/
mltframework.org/docs/
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcUid3OP_4OWC-GJ6KfHK7dIK_yRKKn0e
github.com/avxsynth/avxsynth
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

ffmpeg is an encoder/decoder library. It doesn't do any real video editing besides some pretty basic video filters.

No that's fucking retarded.

AviSynth scripting however is for real men who want to edit without gui.

I use it to make Jow Forums compatible webms. I can use it to crop videos, clip videos, and remove audio.

>avisynth
you mean vapoursynth?

Grug remember good old days!

Grug no need gui!

Grug edit video just as efficient!

Attached: oogaboogaaa.jpg (800x450, 38K)

What can you do with Avisynth that you can't do with FFMpeg? Kinda curious because I've been using the latter for well over a year to create WebMs for 4chinz and most filters served their purpose quite well, so far.

Yep. You can render arbitrary pixels by nigger-rigging some filters.
It would probably be the slowest thing on earth, though. Even slower than liberals.

>nigger-rigging
>slower than liberals
why are you injecting Jow Forums to your post

how do you know which frame to cut at? divination? do a hex dump? trial and error till you get it right?

Attached: index.jpg (275x183, 9K)

>cutting by frame number
ohoho, you're new to this, aren't you?

Maybe, but you'd have a better chance with melt, which is a command line multitrack non-linear video editor:
mltframework.org/docs/melt/

Attached: index.png (80x77, 7K)

Depends on what you're doing. I'm pretty sure you can stack two videos with the same resolution faster with ffmpeg since it's only one short filter. You know, simple stuff where ffmpeg has a convenient filter ready. But that's about it.

I haven't used Avisynth yet, but I know they offer more specialized filters. Look into inverse telecine or denoising and you'll see the difference of available tools.

>ffmpeg video editing
It's possible for basic stuff, but if you're doing more than removing borders and cutting clips then it's pretty bad.

>melt
That looks interesting. Thanks!

What a shit post

ffmpeg is not an editor, it's an encoder front-end.

ffmpeg encodes and has functions liek cropping, rotation etc. that's why KDENLIVE has to use the melt
mltframework.org/docs/

garbage
idiot

yea as was said, ffmpeg can't put together multitrack edited chunks, it's not really built to work that way. I'd render in Melt at insanely high bitrate and then encode it in ffmpeg 2pass or something

yes, but why? ffmpeg isnt made for editing. it just happens to be capable of it.

You do realize that's exactly what people used to do right?

I guess you could pretend ffmpeg is a reel-to-reel or two VCRs hooked together and edit video like the old days...

>AviSynth
welcome to dll hell

ffmpeg is garbage that can't even be trusted to decode interlaced video properly.

Avisynth should be dead since 2004.

It'll probably still be used in 2104.

you could edit videos using ffmpeg behind some scripting that has a preview method, it would be fine

no but you can larp

Hey! i know why the logo is like this.

You can cut videos into parts but only a malnourished degenerate would use it to perform any serious editor tasku.

you mean avisynth+?

chinese cartoons encoders still use it.

No.

However, it would be possible to write a command line only video editor yourself if there's still a decent framebuffer video player out there. I haven't played a video on a machine without X since whatever year Final Fantasy Advent Children came out (that was the last movie I watched before upgrading my 400MHz celery box to have an actual GPU and was able to run X), but I imagine if you built a program yourself you could make it do cuts by frame and able to crop any x and y pixel coordinates and could eventually build something where you could edit videos better than guifags.

I just want to know the command to cut out degenerate scenes from movies without changing the file format and having to render the entire thing.

You can get the position of keyframes via ffprobe, cut the parts out that you want and combine them afterwards without reencoding anything. However it's easier to do the first two steps with Avidemux and only use ffmpeg to concatenate the individual clips.

MELT youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcUid3OP_4OWC-GJ6KfHK7dIK_yRKKn0e
or AvxSynth github.com/avxsynth/avxsynth