/ag/ Audio General

/ag/ Audio General

Discuss speakers of various kinds.

Attached: 2018-11-26 14_51_54-Window.jpg (963x715, 248K)

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=12K-001H-002P7
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16886983062
amazon.com/Mackie-Creative-Reference-Multimedia-Monoprice/dp/B01KQB07A0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Hey Jow Forums, I'm excited to announce that I will receive the Quadral Platinum M20 in a few days.

I hope it will be as good as I believe it to be.

The Monitor Audio Bronze 2 I had, left me with much desires, so i brought them back to the shop.

Attached: m20_detail3.jpg (1000x667, 297K)

What speakers have you brought into your house so far?

Consider yourself lucky, I always have a list prepared for this question.

Feel free to ask anything about them you want.

Bookshelf size:
JBL LSR 305/305p, KEF LS50, Elac B6, Dynaudio Emit M20, Dali Zensor 1/3, Mission QX-2, ResidentAudio M5, Mackie CR4, Focal Alpha 50, iLoud Micro Monitor,
Q Acoustics 3020i / Concept 20, Polk Signature S20, Klipsch RP-160M, Quadral Argentum 520, Wharfedale Diamond 225, Canton Chrono SL 526, Monitor Audio Bronze 2

Tower speakers: Jamo C97 and C95

Subwoofers: B&W ASW 608

Bluetooth speakers: Aiwa Exos 9, Dali Katch, Tribit XSound GO/Xboom, Vifa Reykjavik/Helsinki/Oslo/Copenhagen, Denon Envaya DSB200/250,
Harman Kardon Go+Play/Onyx Studio 4, JBL Xtreme/Charge 2+/Charge 3/Flip 4, Minirig Subwoofer, Beoplay A1 / A2, Beolit 15, BenQ Trevolo

Headphones: Sennheiser HD 25-II, V-Moda Crossfade LP2, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro, KEF M400, Hifiman HE-400i, Philips Fidelio X1/2, AKG 712 Pro, Parrot Zik 2, Koss Porta Pro
bunch of chinese IEM's like Xiaomi, ATE and 1More in the 10-20€ category.

Previously owned amps/dacs

Denon PMA-1600NE AMP/DAC, Marantz AMP1 AMP/DAC, , Denon PMA520AE AMP, Sabaj A3 AMP/DAC, S.M.S.L AD18 AMP/DAC, Pro-Ject Dac Box, Douk Audio Xmos bluetooth headphone AMP/DAC, S.M.S.L U-8 DAC with XLR out, Little Dot-I+

have you listened to the q acoustics 2010i ? wondering how they compare to the 3010i since i have the 2010i

nevermind i can't fucking read

how are the elac speakers?

No i only listened to the speaker I mentioned and the best thing about it, i always had them at the same room playing so I can really tell the differencies since i know how my room sounds.

The 2010i looks like a smaller version of the 3020i but also slightly differentiated Driver components by the looks of it so I will never be able to tell for sure.

Overall from what i perceived, the 3020i and Concept C20 is that Q Acoustics is all about Airyness in a tight manner.

To be honest, they all lacked oomphiness on the bottom sector, would only advise them for Acoustic and Classical stuff.

The, B6 which are supposedly not comparable with the new B6.2 from multiple sources, but were very unsatisfying. I couldn't figure out which purpose they served. I mostly listen to EDM stuff, Electric Mantis, Flume, Taska Black, Sabrine Claudio, this sorta stuff.

They had no particular low-end, it basically was pretty dry but didn't really dig and the punch was worthless. the Mids seemed out of phase and the highs were simply too soft in my memories.

Only thing which seemed nifty was the Soundstage overall. I wouldn't recommend these under no circumstance.

Attached: 20180907_132304.jpg (1815x2420, 900K)

thinking of getting those edifier ~$100 bookshelf speakers for christmas. Anything better in that price range?

i have the jbl studio monitors meme. Now, how do i get the sub to sound good without making the bass bloated? its all muddy as fuck

Hey autist nigger, what do you think of the QAcoustics 3020i? Or of their speakers in general? I bought a Vanatoo Transparent 0, did I make the right choice?

They got some reputation so I'd say if you need active go for it.

There are plenty of Bookshelf speakers from the 90's which you can get for $69 which sound equally as good if not better but you have to research a bit for sources

i stated my opinion already here. the Vanatoo are not available in germany so I don't have the slightest clue on what they sound like. If you use it for desk, the Vanatoo's are probably a much better decision.

Attached: 20180812_103332.jpg (2016x1512, 868K)

>LSR 305/305p
Major differences? Tone color, image, sweet spot, noise?

enable the crossover
find a good spot for it by experimenting
and make sure it's not way too fucking loud - pro tip: it always is, old rule of thumb says just by ear the average amateur sets the sub about 10dB too loud and a pro 5-6dB

Recommendations for bookshelf monitors for my desk?

Looking for something no bigger than 5".
Been looking through reviews and recommendations and Audio-engine comes up the more frequently.

Attached: afe0d4c59d34b245d595eeac0e38d32b.jpg (300x201, 10K)

>i stated my opinion already here
Sorry, didn't see it. Thanks anyways.

Or should I just invest into a nice 2.1 system like Klipsh or Logitech, ect?

Attached: 31arZsr4RwL.jpg (500x500, 15K)

iLoud Micro Monitor if loudness is not your main concern. They sound as good as a 8inch woofer monitor. You can still crank them to reasonable high levels though but the bassport will Chuff somewhat soonish on Kickbass heavy music.

You won't be dissappointed by their bass i promise.

only if you listen to rap music

Attached: WhatsApp Image 2018-10-19 at 12.12.07.jpg (900x1600, 145K)

These things are hideous haha

Loudness isn't my main concern as I'm sitting directly in front of them.

And no I don't listen to rap music haha

Attached: 811ZfY9YSHL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1125, 163K)

this is how i have it. I cant seem to find the happy medium between just enough enough bass and too much bass.

oops forgot picture.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 3.09.51 PM.png (1762x644, 1.33M)

I know they have a skelleton skull kind of look but they definately sound great and very portable since they are so small.

The sound they emit is very musical, you probably never heard anything like it before. Also i doubt that Audio Engine speakers will sound as good as an iLoud, musically since Audio Engine speaker are more targeted to having a neutral uncolored kind of sound for production.

Your subwoofer acts as a low frequency EXTENSION. this means you have to adjust it that it starts where your speakers stop in hz. You need to have an actual Sinewave playing down the Subbass in order to figure the perfect Volume and the location of the sub makes a huge impact on how you perceive the bass.

Attached: 20180823_134140.jpg (3024x4032, 3.16M)

Thanks. Is there a guide that uses sincewave? I always went by ear

why do you even get the sub.. holy shit man you're spending money on the wrong end.

what do you mean user?

Did you get a sub to get more bass? You should have been going for the 8 inch version instead then, because all the sub acts for, is extension.
If you wanted more quantity, you should have just gotten bigger speakers.

how is it different from bigger woofers? all they do is extend lower as well. you make it sound as if the 8" version was bass boosted

No but the actual woofers size does a difference depending on how your room behaves acoustically

how

I'm no mathetmatician, but you can hear it. If you want more defined stronger force on your bass, you need bigger cabinet speakers, a sub is only good if you want cinema rumble sound or a much desired extension for your specific usecase i don't know of.

if your current set of jbl's doesn't feel like it's doing enough bass, maybe they are mounted in a wrong location

Looking to take advantage of cyber monday deals. I have cyber acoustic satellite speakers and they suck. Looking for something below $100 that is decent.

Attached: 1400016928000_689919.jpg (500x500, 30K)

help me choose
q acoustics 3020/dali senzor 3/dali spektor 2/mission lx 2

These ones? I'm getting them tomorrow.

You're probably referring to some cheaper ones since these were around 125 euro

Attached: R2730db_ce1d34a0-8d9e-47b9-bf0c-8917addf7159.jpg (1200x1200, 150K)

Attached: 682A7309-F1A6-40BF-8B34-45DBF62C8865.jpg (700x500, 63K)

Attached: 5E48DE0C-9C3F-4159-8C27-C8AE29DB82E1.jpg (851x1200, 72K)

Zensor 3 easily, but those are obviously the priciest. Any chance for you to get Quadral Argentum 520?

There should be 1 optimal way to deliver sound, than then gets mass produced.
Why is there so many different brands with different looking speakers?

same as with computer screens, cars, microwaves and everything else

i could jew my way to 220 cuckbux, what sets them higher than zensor 3? i see they're 87db so i would need a 80+ w/ch amp, and im going for a marantz nr series which is 50w/ch.

>i see they're 87db so i would need a 80+ w/ch amp
that's not at all how that works
sensitivity describes sound pressure level at one meter per watt, means you'd draw one watt per channel for these speakers to reach 87dB at 1 meter distance. 50w is fine

It's just about moving air around based on a signal.
Theres moving the air with a small radius mover, and moving it with a larger radius mover.
Theres only so many potential good options for the size and array of different air movers.

simple as that, sure

What are you calculating lol. the dB rating is rated for 1 Watts of power holy shit. any 20-30 watt amp will run bookshelf speakers
at a high loudnes level. if you want more anyway you should maybe get a PA speaker to blow your ears off.

I highly regard the Argentum 520 to be the best speakers Imaging-wise for the money, they sound like real and remove the so called blanket before your ears. The only thing they will certainly not compete with is the Bass the Zensor 3 are able to produce.

But since you can get the Zensor 3 for $220, I think the decision is clear. The only thing I don't like about the Zensor 3 is its tonality. It can't decide between Male and Female voices. It sounds always off.

i wasn't implying there's correlation between sensitivity and w/ch, other than as with all things the 80/90/100/140w/ch ratings written in specs for some receivers are for 2ch listening not 7.2 and it basically means shit.
which is why i'm worried that the 50w amp in the marantz won't be able to fully drive them to capacity.
why are the quadrals better?

>which is why i'm worried that the 50w amp in the marantz won't be able to fully drive them to capacity
it will, since the power output is sufficient

hey /ag/
looking at replacing my old sony receiver with something that can do 4k/hdr
newegg has
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=12K-001H-002P7
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16886983062
I'm leaning towards the pioneer, is there any reason I should be looking for something different?
I'll be hooking up my current 3.1 with some plans to add surrounds soon

>receiver
>4k/hdr
that's exactly why arc is a thing, just plug your sources to the tv directly and get the audio back via arc. no need to "upgrade" your audio for every new fad that gets added to the next hdmi standard

You have to set parameters before selecting an optimal design. Constraints will be applied that further limit results.
With so many different uses, there is no one "best" design. Maybe a design that can be used in a large number of scenarios if that.

I bought some cheap speakers for my new build and I noticed that when it's silence there is a static noise coming from them. Is that a speaker or motherboard issue?

Try disconnecting the audio cable from the computer and see if the noise persists.
My computer has crappy on board audio. It would pick up noise from the fans and the hard-drive.
Ended going to a cheap usb outboard.

Attached: and I mean cheap.jpg (434x679, 21K)

Could be both. Are they self powered speakers? Does the static stay when they are not plugged into your PC?

Sup guys, got a question. Was thinking of buying some tower speakers or surround sound system for my living room with the setup I have. Just want some nice sound besides the tv speakers. Would it be worth it since it's so open space? I don't really wanna do ceiling mounting either. Thanks.

Attached: living room.png (2304x1296, 33K)

If the couch is on the back wall spend more on a 2.1 or 3.1 setup than worrying about surrounds

Whats a decent turntable these days?

Attached: 81m5ixd5aJL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 176K)

RPM3 Carbon

>There should be 1 optimal way to deliver sound, than then gets mass produced.

Isn't this what literally every business tries to do? They attempt to make the "optimal product" that will be adopted by everybody because it can't be topped

I should say "at a given price point" ..businesses will compete to produce the optimal product at a given price point

So i purchased an svs sb2000 for my 2 channel setup but still find the bass lacking, i've placed it int he corner of the room but the room is quite large... will buying a second one and putting it in the opposing corner help??

>building a flexy rack for my audio gear
waiting for the wood to come in

You could be sitting in a null or have some possible integration/calibration issue.
>sb2000
That's the sealed model, right? That generally isn't the most effective way to get bass extension and output.

What's your favorite bookshelf and what do you think of the Bronze 2, LS50 and Polk S20?

Waiting for my me geithain me 25 to arrive.

rega rp8

Attached: rp8.jpg (698x458, 223K)

LS50 is an audiophool lifestyle product
Not bad but there are much better speakers

Attached: 8030A-LS50.png (1200x1110, 246K)

At the moment it's the Quadral Argentum 520 for me, because it made me rediscover music at an exceptional value.

This wasn't feasible with any of the mentioned speakers.

With those it was like I was listening to music for the first time again.

Bronze 2: The homogenity/tuning of frequencies is very uneven. It doesn't sound like a good tuned package. Has sibilance at 12khz that makes every voice sound unnatural.

LS 50: it's not a revealing speaker. Its sound is more on the flat monitor nature where nothing sounds magical. It's a solid speaker though but it simply lacks a Live character.

Polk S20: Nice Cinema speakers for cheap. They boast lots of frequencies and have really good imaging. The only thing lacking is mids but pack hefty oomphiness in the subbass region. Wouldn't recommend these for Music though.

My Scan Dyna a-10 should arrive today.
-little bro to the most popular speaker ever
-seas drivers, alnico
-aperiodic port

>Scan Dyna a-10
man those are big ass tweeters

Attached: 5adb6751096c70150dac5e4770a99973.jpg (640x480, 68K)

Show me what a good graph is "supposed to" look like

Attached: KH420_H_D_510.gif (510x320, 29K)

Wish I wasnt too poor for that.

Can someone reccomend me so,e monitor stands for my hs8? Preferably ones that are available in Australia

a good cartridge makes a world of a difference sl1200 variations are great and hold a high resale value

all the usual stuff you can get at a music store should be able to hold up hs8

>old speakers that sound good but look ugly as sin when you take the grille off
can't stand it desu

Yes, the beaming should be bad but we'll see.

Does someone have measurements of JBL Stage a190 (or other of that serie?)

ah yes the thread where people post photos of speakers they think look kewl or cute or high tech and then post graphs that don't tell the full story or they fully understand the context of and convince each other the buy them with 0 knowlage of audio

>graphs don't mean anything
t. /hpg/

Anybody listened to the new R-Series yet?

Attached: 2018-11-27 18_14_23-KEF R Series - United States.png (1853x1423, 1.78M)

have some rectilinear iii

Attached: IMG_20181115_192510136.jpg (337x600, 25K)

Gonna get an audio interface soon and to me that marks a point where I must grow up and take this old crap out back to shoot it in the head.
Now the question is, since I am living in an untreated student apartment (that is filled to the brim with stuff though), will studio monitors actually be worth it or should I just go with headphones for now? Usage is listening to music, producing music and vidya.

forgot pic

Attached: 1232712188.jpg (675x450, 94K)

you can still enjoy monitors untreated

Likely, but will they also be suitable for mastering my own music? I doubt it desu.

near field and not too loud a small room doesn't have to be so bad
except for the bass of course

they'll work just fine, pretty much what studio monitors are designed for

If the room is a simple box you can throw the dimensions in some online acoustics calculator.
And if a handclap still produces harsh ringing the junk in your room isn't enought to break up those planes.

They're not guaranteed to give linear low end response in any room in the world.

Tell me about the Jamo S803

Is burn-in real?

no
i've heard for woofers it's a maybe if the spider is new but when reconing my L100T woofers i didn't hear any difference whatsoever over time

what are some decent powered speakers I can hook to a simple line out?
I'm not after something loud, but instead something that sounds clear and nice on low-medium volumes
no preference on sound signature as long as its not something extremely warped

genelec 8351

amazon.com/Mackie-Creative-Reference-Multimedia-Monoprice/dp/B01KQB07A0

is this the stax of /ag/?
I'll look into them, thanks

no, it's actually good

I don't see a pair locally.
It looks like they improved a few things here and there, pretty manufacturer charts.

>is this the stax of /ag/?
What do you mean?

Viscoelastic suspension loosens slightly with moderate excursions on a reasonable timescale, yielding a slight change in measured bass response. You would not find a very distinct change in the "character" from flexing woofers if the woofer works as intended. Changes in the perceived sound are normally of the listener adapting to the sound.

No, Funktion-One is the stax of /ag/

>PA speakers
gross