>most models don't have expandable storage
>worse support of PDFs and other sideloaded content
>older models can be found used for no more than $20

Kobo
>smaller selection
>books are typically more expensive
>better support of PDFs and other sideloaded content
>newer models (Edition 2, HD, Aura One, Forma) don't have microSD slots
>some models have internal microSD cards (blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2013/10/08/how-to-expand-internal-storage-of-kobo-ebook-readers-video)

Attached: oasis.jpg (1080x1080, 143K)

Other urls found in this thread:

b-ok.org/
the-digital-reader.com/2018/04/28/how-to-get-night-mode-white-text-black-background-on-kobo-ereaders/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

i just want a laptop with a e-ink screen

What's the best e-reader for manga currently? I had a Kobo years ago but now I'm using a tablet. One thing I definitely need is SD card slot because I read a lot of stuff at the same time.

>no real sales on the likebook mars during black friday/cyber monday
damn chinks, it looks perfect for manga but $210 is a bit too steep

Kobo Aura One, user on the last thread said it has an internal microSD card.

kobo aura one has no microsd slot, none of kobo's new readers do
likebook mars is the best IMO
>android
>8" screen
>sd slot

It has an internal one

Which you have to open up which ruins the waterproofing whereas the Likebook mars is the same price and has a micro SD card.

Who the hell buys books?

Why does the oasis have to be so damn expensive? I'd love to have access to Kindle library because I don't care about pirating books or reading pdf's, but the paperwhite looks like it's from 2004 for with it's small display and gigantic bezels. But fuck if I'm paying more than $200 for an e-reader.

How hard is it to pirate ebooks? And I'm talking about new releases.

Just search public trackers like 1337X

Does this has any ability to fetch from RSS feeds? It would be comfy for morning and mid-day reading when in a cafeteria or outside the office. Syncing it every time with a desktop system is not what I mean.

yogabook 2

library genesis for academic stuff

Amazon v. Kobo price really doesn't matter since you can buy wherever and strip DRM (rare book you can't just pirate anyway)

are you sure? i can't find anything about. kobo clara hd has an internal sd card

Attached: FJ8GN2A.jpg (3504x2462, 789K)

What's the best backlit E-reader for pirated manga. I have a Kobo Aura and it works fine but it loads images rather slowly, and zooming is a nightmare.

Android need not apply. "paper" screens only please.

the chip (pink dot) is soldered to the mainboard

Attached: 527823.jpg (1366x767, 178K)

why dont the chinks have cheap ereaders

Patents which will run out soon

so it's not really replaceable them.

a xiaomi ereader is in development

bought the amazon backlight one, saved me more money than it cost within 3 months since I don't pay for books anymore

Well, bought a Likebook Mars. Hope I didn't get turbomemed by you guys. Will post impressions once it arrives

Attached: nothing.jpg (781x1024, 54K)

I just installed Koreader on my old paperwhite 1 (2012). It feels like a new device, even for epubs.

Don't get me started on pdf's. Now it's actually usable as a pdf reader.

You can get a used nook simple touch for about $20. I used one for years so if anyone is looking for the cheapest possible model, I would recommend this one

Attached: nook-simple-reader-xl.jpg (970x600, 64K)

Amazon and Kobo don't sell ereaders in my country. Any good chink alternative for reading manga?

Just order from a third party vendor, dipshit. eBay exists as well.

Likebook Mars

How's it with sideloaded content? Does it have koreader support?

Onyx Boox Nova here, still enjoying it

Attached: IMG_20181127_053332.jpg (2976x3968, 1.93M)

Why are the icons so damn oversized?
It looks like a fucking toy for an old fart with that icon size.

>Onyx Boox Nova
oh shit you can put tachiyomi on this

BOOX NOOD

Don't Need them to be bigger than that, it's already a perfect size for a e reader tablet, the settings don't have an option for icon sizes as far as I know though.

Attached: IMG_20181127_073956.jpg (2976x3968, 2.94M)

>rakuten 20% off sitewide cyber monday sale
>alright you got me, add clara hd to cart
>coupon code invalid
>20% off sitewide *except kobo readers
lmao fuck cyber monday

I wasn't gonna read shit anyway

Library Genesis also has loads of novels, non-fiction, etc.
I only dl what I want to read and I have already got 5.8Gbytes of ebooks, 90% of which are from libgen

Can the user who bought a Pocketbook InkPad 3 recently tell me / us a bit more about it?
How is it on a day to day basis?
How is font customization support?
Can I just plug and play and access the file system? Does it work with Calibre?

No it doesn't.
Get Kobo Glo HD, it's the thinkpad of e-readers.

Webm?

Just got my Likebook Mars.
It's a lot lighter than I expected it to be, less so with the cover on unfortunately but still lighter than a tablet. Said cover wakes up the device from sleep which is pretty neat.

Setting it up was easy and so was installing Google Play Store.
Unexpectedly, it has some chinese shit in it (Baidu is the default search engine). I found some chinese characters even after changing the device's language, I suppose it's stuff like the ability to choose between traditional and simplified chinese: I had the same kind of shit with Duokan on my Kindle 4, no biggie.

Audio output is good enough. I can hear some slight noise with my ATH-MSR7 but not with my KZ ZS6.

Default reader app is better than expected. Then again, I don't expect a lot from it: as long as it can display my library by folder structure and read epubs, I'm happy with it.

The device is beefy enough to paginate Jules Verne's complete (and illustrated) works within 3 minutes.

Reading manga on it with Tachiyomi is pretty great, everything is snappy even 500mb+ digital releases.

Browsing and video playback are possible but don't expect anything too amazing (and don't forget to hit that A2 refresh button). Good enough to look something up on Wikipedia (boorus and sad panda work pretty well if you needed to know).

Pic related, my phone's camera doesn't do it justice though.

Attached: IMG_20181127_140543.jpg (3120x4160, 914K)

>kikebook
Why is this better than kobo?
Why do you need audio on e-reader?

>Why is this better than kobo?
More functionality for the same price.

>Why do you need audio on e-reader?
Audiobooks?

b-ok.org/

I want an oasis with USB C and 5 GHz wifi

#bookz on Undernet

quick question, never looked into e-readers but my mother mentioned she'd like one.
Almost got a kindle without pause for thought but I decided to investigate if it's locked under an amazon ecosytem of sorts or bullshit like that. Can you read downloaded epub, pdf, even html from different sources without an issue? I don't mean strictly pirated books, there's a damn good selection of classic titles in a public domain site from my country. Well, for classics usually it's very easy to find them, I'd say in any language from any country.
>For an old lady.
>Books only, she won't be reading any manga
>just no bullshit, I'm just worried to get under some amazon bullshittery where you can only read titles downloaded from them, and by locking I'm concerned about 2 step source evrifiers, hardware locked DL server, and other methods of kikery.

How is Moon Reader on this thing?

I'm not sure what to say. I never tried it before so I downloaded the free version and it just works?

Hows the page turning?

Can you set it to display by series instead of by book? For example on the homescreen I'd want it to show manga series, not individual volumes/chapters.

How is the kobo aura one? Need something decent for not a lot of money, for manga and ebooks.
Anything decent with android?

There's a way around amazon's shit.
But, the thing is you shouldn't have to on principle.
If you can find something decent that's not amazon for a price you want to pay, get that. Fuck amazon and everything to do with them.
Remember, they're not a publisher; they get epubs from publishers and stick their bs DRM on there.
Fuck them right in the coithole.

>Reading manga on it with Tachiyomi
Fuck that would make things a lot easier, especially for fags like me that were too late to the party to get into that irc group.
Do you just read them online? Or have you downloaded any chapters?
How's it handle them?

Damn, what a coincidence, I was just playing with it today in the local store. Didn't know that this touch keyboard is actually an e-ink display. Seems cool.
But anyway it's not my thing. Because touch keyboards are out of touch with touch typing.

Forgot pic

Attached: 2018-11-28-02-01-13.png (1030x580, 359K)

so, they ARE locked.
I was only thinking it could be a possibility, but yeah fuck that.
thx for the heads up.
How about the other way around, is it possible to get purchased titles from amazon on different readers?

>he's not waiting for the Xiaomi eReader that comes out next year

Attached: 1542644360324.png (186x326, 102K)

Inkbook Prime HD
>Android will open any format
>physical page buttons
>sd card slot
>flush screen
>300 dpi

tell me why I shouldn't buy this

Attached: InkBook-Prime-HD.jpg (400x486, 27K)

>Can you set it to display by series instead of by book?
Kinda but not really. By default, you have three tabs when you boot: Home, Books and Apps "Page", "Etagèr" and "App" in my pic (french translation sucks by the way). You can choose whichever of those tabs to be your homescreen.
And as you can see in my picture, it's possible to sort books by folders. Problem is, the native reading app doesn't support cbz/cbr so will have to associate a third party app with those file formats (or convert them to epub).

Or you could simply use Tachiyomi. You could also head over to mobileread.com, some of the guys there have had the Likebook Mars for more than a month already.

>Do you just read them online? Or have you downloaded any chapters?
I've tried both and both methods work just fine. I still have things to disable but using wifi will rape the battery life though.

Attached: IMG_20181127_195408.jpg (3120x4160, 629K)

baka, next year is a whole year away!

How are E-Readers for reading scientific or programmic books? I.e. with graphs and code sections?

thanks for posting, user. really looking forward to receiving mine

Bad, just get an Amazon fire

Have you noticed any issues with greys while reading manga?
Also, when reading manga does it take a while to refresh the screen?
Thanks for the general impressions user. Hopefully someone finds a way to root it given it comes with chinese botnet shit.

Just picked up a PW2 with official smart cover for $34. Traded in my old Kindle keyboard, used the 25% discount on an oasis and slang that on Craigslist for $10 off retail. Came out $20 ahead. I love buying perfectly good hardware off of boomers for next to nothing.

what happened to the kindle voyage
I guess there wasn't enough demand for something in between the paperwhite and the oasis

E-Readers would be cool if they had actual CPUs in them, instead of taking 5 seconds to zoom in on an image which even basic tablets can do more smoother.

16:10 is lame for books, get a Surface

I have the Kobo H20. Upgraded from a Glo HD I'm going to give to my dad.
>Glo HD
+Kobo case is very nice and is comfortable to hold when reading
+300 PPI screen is god tier
-6" screen is too small for comfortable reading
-burning white front light

>Kobo H20
+7" screen is great
+Warm night light for comfiness
+can read while in the bath when I'm 75 someday
+/-screen is marginally less sharp than the Glo HD but the ability to use larger fonts with the larger screen real estate makes up for it

Attached: 1359485639494.jpg (529x399, 26K)

I still have mine. I use it for nothing more than sideloaded Epubs.

It works like a motherfucking charm.

Almost 8 years and going stronk.

why can't we have metal framed e-readers with physical turn buttons anymore? I'd get an old one but I'm spoiled by front lights and high pixel density displays with a faster refresh rate

Attached: end_my_life_seinfeld.png (526x436, 137K)

>metal framed e-readers with physical turn buttons
Isn't that what an Oasis is?

the state of Jow Forums

which ones? i've read they're like qualcomm of e-ink. i'd like to follow this though.

I tried one in store. The ergonomics are fucking trash. I could never use one.

kino taste

Is there a colored one guys?

2019 will be the year of color e-ink

Which readers allow you to set white text on a black background? I use a kindle paperwhite and it’s great, but I would prefer white text on black.

The oasis is literally designed for cat ladies who bring romance novels and wine to the bathtub to jill off. I'm not kidding, that's the user feedback that prompted the waterproof design.

t. Amazonian

Kindle Oasis has it.
some Kobo readers have a hidden setting to enable it.
this thing has it:

Oh I didn’t know the oasis had it. That’s a plus. And how hard is it to enable on the kobo? Guess I should look into it. I wish it were a more common thing, or at least covered in reviews.

> 15Hz refresh rate
Yeah, no...

Attached: 1523070353862.jpg (307x309, 18K)

there's a hidden setting on the stock firmware:
the-digital-reader.com/2018/04/28/how-to-get-night-mode-white-text-black-background-on-kobo-ereaders/

or you can install Koreader, which has night mode and is toggle-able.

yeah, except the likebook has no waterproofing to ruin in the first place.

Any cool shit I can do with my kindle paperwhite? All these other ereaders with tachiyomi is making me envious.

Cheapest big ereadee? Talking 9"+
All my pdf textbooks look like shit on my paperwhite

>better support of PDFs and other sideloaded content
Are you retarded? Pdfs on kobos are unusable untill you install ko reader.

You need to convert the epubs to the Kindle format. Best software for that is calibre.

Any of you brainlets still use the glorious Amazon Kindle 3g w/ keyboard with free internet?

fuck off grandpa

selections really dont matter in the grand scheme of things. operating system also doesnt. pretty much all popular e-readers have some form of customfirmware that gives you access to the amazon, kobo and barns & noble store.

hardware features are whats important.
typically that means a good screen with lighting that works outside when its very bright and not too bright in the night. and sd slot is always welcome though not really necessary.
then of course there is calibre. which makes all shops obsolete since you can get every ebook you could want from multiple sources. and even then kindle unlimited is only 10 bucks a month and you can just use calibre to strip the drm from azw4 or xlr files and convert them to epub.

>refresh rate
>implying an e-ink laptop would operate on your homosex display techniques
8 day battery life here we come

I know this is the wrong place to ask but how do I fall in love with reading?

you develop a mental illness that makes you perceive the words of hemingway as a sensual woman.

Can confirm that Tachiyomi runs perfectly on the Likebook Mars. Challenger Viewer works, but some of the menus don't display properly. Someone tell me what mango to read on this thing.

Basically the only problem is that you will get some ghosting from the previous page, especially on the blacks.

Start with books with many short stories.

Even with +200 titles in library?