What's a quick, discrete way to scan a 300 page book? Just take pictures of it with my phone?

What's a quick, discrete way to scan a 300 page book? Just take pictures of it with my phone?

There's a rare book at the University library that I want to study and I'm not allowed to leave with it.

Attached: ljx140302webenisZeta.jpg (525x420, 51K)

Other urls found in this thread:

diybookscanner,org
amazon.com/Magic-Wand-Portable-Scanner-Kit/dp/B004BFN1SS/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1543287080&sr=8-19&keywords=wand scanner
youtube.com/watch?v=1rbYpOiYEdA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>discrete
rip out a page, scan it

did you mean discreet?

High res video maybe? Just an idea

There are scanner apps that use OCR and have really nice results

Plenty of universities run projects to digitise their libraries, especially rare books that could get damaged.

It'd be best to inquire if digital copies are available.

I checked, they did not have a digital copy.

(You)

Any recommendations?

What book is it? Have you checked libgen?

It's a random person's master's thesis that happens to be really relevant for a project I'm working on.

Look up the guy and ask where it was published. Assuming it's from this century and he isn't dead He probably has a copy saved he will email you.

Phone pictures, cameras are more than good enough nowadays

what book?

discrete...
you got VuPoint

that's probably the best option, there are some wedge scanners from japan that are very fine wedges that you put books down on, but they seem to have moved from that for book scanning to 2 digital camera method with some plexiglass insert, you could do something similar with a smartphone and plexiglass right angle

or you get out a smart phone and take pictures and deal with any distortion best you can in the images. no great non destructive way that is also discrete.

diybookscanner,org

amazon.com/Magic-Wand-Portable-Scanner-Kit/dp/B004BFN1SS/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1543287080&sr=8-19&keywords=wand scanner

The most discrete way is with a VuPoint, the quicker way is with a linear scanner.

youtube.com/watch?v=1rbYpOiYEdA

There are apps for that

How old is this thesis if there's no digital copy?
I had to submit a digital copy of my PhD thesis almost two decades ago...

Depending on the field, search the main author and see if s/he's published the work in a journal articles.

just steal it

Attached: 14523164798.jpg (1118x1500, 468K)

should be able to find it on proquest; log in through your university's library portal

there is no book, the idiot want to scan manga from the store

>According to Lovecraft's "History of the Necronomicon", copies of the original Necronomicon were held by only five institutions worldwide:

>The British Museum
>The Bibliothèque nationale de France
>Widener Library of Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts
>The University of Buenos Aires
>The library of the fictional Miskatonic University in the also fictitious Arkham, Massachusetts

Attached: uba.jpg (546x202, 19K)

If you can bring something to mount a camera on into the library then do that and set it up over the book. Turn a page, take a pic (x150). I've done it before and it's not that time consuming if you don't have to hold the camera and reframe the picture every time.

Check if you can digitize for them.
Bring a nice camera and a mount. Flip page, take picture.
Should be done rather quickly.

I checked proquest, I don't see it here. It has a citation on worldcat though.

Lol

did you specifically check their dissertations and theses site?

which university? is it in Etiopia?

Yes

One at Texas State and one at Brandeis University. I'm driving distance to Brandeis, so that's the one I'd scan by hand.

>Brandeis University
oh, I get it now

:^)

Video spy glasses

Take individual frames, convert to text

Attached: 1542089146880.jpg (1536x2048, 410K)

Ask them to do it for you, say its for a class. Isnt this literally their job?

Attached: 1532646669108.jpg (527x614, 126K)

Photocopy it & scan the copies? If they charge for copying, 300 pages won't be cheap, but it's proven technology.

i want sauce...please

just use the fucking library scanner then
>OP pic related

jun amaki

>jun amaki
thanks

If the person is still alive, see if you can contact them and ask them for a digital copy. They might be able to get you one for free or a fee of some sort. Other than that, try to take pictures with your phone. I used to do that for some textbooks in the library so I could do the homework assignments at home without buying the book, and they were perfectly legible.

Oh dang, I'll ask my cousin to snag it for me.

Fucking this.

4k video from a go pro using a gorilla pod above it might work desu, OP would have to go through the video in slow mo and ocr the screenshots though, that would be tedious.

This.
If it's not too old, they'll probably still have the LaTex source, and can just compile it and email it to you. If it's recent, that source is probably online, and thus even easier to find and compile. Also the author will likely do it for free, since the idea of anybody actually reading their thesis and finding it useful should be a decent motivator (t. grad student)

The Necronomicon is a hoax by several people, including Peter Levenda.

I'd request to digitise or offer to. If you get permission they probably wouldn't mind you setting up a tripod and camera in a well lit room and doing it nicely. So long as you have valid academic reasons there's almost never cause to be discreet at a uni...

Contact them. Someone asking for a copy of your Master's thesis is the ultimate compliment.

>tfw you will never master the secrets of life and death
How do I cope?

Attached: demiurge.jpg (441x539, 59K)

What book? Try checking libgen to see if it's already been scanned.

Look into Enochian Magic first. The Monas Hieroglyphica will be a good start.

>random person's master's thesis
Did you try reaching that person?
They might have a copy.
There are apps that can make a PDF even.

this.
plus you'll open a line of communication with this person if you have any questions.
further, they'll have tons of supplemental stuff that wasn't published and may be helpful.

I think it’s cool that you’re just so interested in having such a thing

>not a technical solution
>not buying a product
>make friends instead
Guys I think we are going to be okay

Attached: images.jpg (311x162, 8K)

Based /x/ poster.