I'm dicking around with electron and the Jow Forums api. What are some features you'd like in a Jow Forums desktop app?

I'm dicking around with electron and the Jow Forums api. What are some features you'd like in a Jow Forums desktop app?

>notifications
>mass image/thread saving

Attached: 13409222.png (400x400, 19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/WhatIsThisImNotGoodWithComputers/All-time-You-count
cancel.fm/ripcord/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

don't

Install gentoo auto reply feature

(You's) counter

I like this idea a lot

Why not?

>electron
Already kill yourself

>non native code
>app
>electron
this is their worst timeline

I'd unironically like it to be written in a native GUI framework, and idle on less than 50MiB of RAM (that's on the catalog page, for example, where you're not buffering large images). Electron applications are slow enough that I notice keystroke lag in VS Code and Atom. They don't use a native UI framework so they all stick out like a sore thumb, too. They just suck.

>literally just a web browser with static url
>much worse than the pile of trash you're furiously typing this into right now
wew

>What are some features you'd like in a Jow Forums desktop app
board interleaving. Select n boards and automatically generate a "one-board" like view for them all. Refresh once to refresh all

Automated shitposting using one of the chat bots fed copy pasta responses.

Everything Dashchan and Clover has.

>automatic sorting/tagging of images by AI image recognition
>image filters, something like: if (post.image.isAnime()) { intoTheTrashItGoes(post); }

If this shit gets popular, the (You) counter is going to cause a massive fucking pain in the neck as people shitpost endlessly about how they're trying to get their (You) count up. Please don't. Or at least don't count (You)'s beyond the thread they were gotten in. If people start comparing their lifetime (You)'s, that's a step towards us just having fucking reddit accounts and comparing our karma.

(You) = upvotes

I like the idea of Jow Forums having a narcissistic meltdown and destroying itself.

Attached: IMG_4798.jpg (1600x1200, 267K)

Let's say people will do whatever in order to increase some number on their screen. How can we use that behavior for something positive?

If we record number of (You)s, we incentivize bait.

If we record number of unique images, do we encourage oc?

s-stop i'm doing the same you faggot.

Can you show me an example of a non-native UI that you don't like? Or a native ui that you like? I'd be willing to look into native ui frameworks.

Log/Count (You)

Any post deletion, moderator action, admin action to the user gets their (you) score reset.

Brilliant. Let the mods decide if they want attention seeking behavior.

Bait is already incentivized. Bait is Jow Forums's signature product. Lifetime (You)s does not change any of the existing dynamics that make bait successful.

well, I'm a KDE user so I naturally gravitate towards anything using qt, but anything that's light and quick is fine.

Examples of shitty non-native stuff:
>Atom/VS Code
they're unresponsive and they're never consistent with the appearance of anything else. I'm no ricer, frankly my desktop looks like shit, but if it's gonna look like shit I at least want it to be fast.
>Slack
extremely slow, tries to have a unique login system but ends up being un-ergonomic and annoying
>Spotify
buggy as fuck. I have no idea how someone could make a UI that hideous and decide it's suitable for production.

Examples of good native stuff:
>Kate
not the prettiest thing on earth, but highly responsive and very versatile. Supports all common OSes since Qt is cross-platform.
>The Windows 10 calculator
Not a meme, it looks great and manages to fit in seamlessly even in an OS where nothing else looks right

Attached: kate.png (1920x1048, 222K)

Don't use electron, go as low level as possible. And I'd personally prefer a program that just checks the Jow Forums API so I can build my own application on top of it for the sake of personalization.

Building off this, I'd love to have a "home board" that coallates filtered threads I usually click on.

For irony's sake, on the board interleaving mode change the layout to mirror a Subreddit's.

a feature that makes idiots stop thinking their stupid ideas are worth posting here

>making an "app" that runs in a browser for a site that already runs in a browser
But I guess your app will be superior because it will follow "modern design trends", i.e. three posts will take up the entire screen.

\thread

A program that checks the Jow Forums api and does nothing else is the easy part? Like, curl-in-a-for-loop easy?

At least use qt or something.

>electron
Please consider suicide instead

I was saying I'd prefer more a filter/quality assurance style program that I can build on top of to look good. Bonus points if it can use proxies

github.com/WhatIsThisImNotGoodWithComputers/All-time-You-count

this is a fucking terrible idea, electron is nasty

I'd like kate if it didn't freeze every time i tried to open a large file; so I'm stuck using geany

>use kate

>have a statement like
submit( ... )

>refactor submit to be member of a class ApiService and start typing
Api|.submit( ... )
>oh cool, autocomplete for ApiService
ApiService( ... )

what the fuck. Literally the worst (yet coolest looking) text editor in the world.

please don't make anything in electron

I'm making projects that are both electron and cordova apps and I deploy the literally E-V-E-R-Y-W-H-E-R-E. What you gonna do soiboy?

>I deploy the literally E-V-E-R-Y-W-H-E-R-E
what did you mean by this?

Take a wild guess

Attached: Screenshot_20181127_035547.png (165x103, 6K)

.apk -> android app?
.appImage -> linux app?
. exe -> windows executable

so you make an android app and compiles to .exe or something???

i make what's effectively a website and package it for literally every major platform out there (except iOS because that crap has to be built on a mac, but in theory I could also do that)

have you had any success in your apps?

yes. You wouldn't believe it but companies are actually pretty horny for deploying the same codebase to all platforms. They are also mostly complete retards who can't into computers beyond booting windows

You also get a free web-version because it's all just some shitty frontend to a SOAP/REST api

Thanks for the reply, user
what's the standard procedure of developing this apps. You make it in Cordova and then you're good to go?
What about developing it in Android studio/Java or ionic / React Native (I've heard about this one)?

Do you work as app developer/freelance?

that is why i am asking you to stop.
retarded?

I think ionic is built with cordova if I'm not mistaken. There are probably some decent ionic+electron boilerplates out there to work with by now. When I was doing this there were a handful of tutorials that were mostly built on a very wonkey patchwork of different frameworks.

I've been doing this type of applications for a while now, so I've settled for my own codebase with a lot of extras (and no, I won't give it away. I make money off that bitch)

Let's just say reliable fingerprinting of users is something that's worth a lot to advertisers.

>reliable fingerprinting of users
you do this in your apps?
i don't even know what that means

A cryoto miner

it means I know who you are even if you don't have an account

>who you are
nah
you probably just have a UID or something

Anyway i still don't get what this have to do with app development.
You develop an app and then you want to identify individual users and then shovel them with ads?
Is that right?

>Anyway i still don't get what this have to do with app development
I make an app. You install it on your windows machine, your phone and you can access it in your browser. And I know your identity in all of these scenarios which makes dumbo companies want to buy my crap

Now i get it.
>makes dumbo companies want to buy my crap
how does this actually happen?

>hey John, i like you app you want $50 for that?

>hey John, i like you app you want $50 for that?
Hey John, Jenny told us the targeted ad campaign in Shitapp they bought from you had great returns, can you hook us up with a license of that shit?

>targeted ad campaign
this shit sounds more complex than making the app

It's preferable to loading a site which some faggot gook keeps inserting malware into

>What are some features you'd like in a Jow Forums desktop app?
preferrably not being 10x more bloated than the website itself

No idea how that even works. I just hook them up with the framework and they build it themselves mostly. I'm usually trying to get on the """"consultant"""" payroll (i tell their people how to unfuck their shit)

Without going into details, one of the more popular cryptocurrency+stock portfolio trackers was built on my boilerplate and they collect data on all their user's portfolios to trade into/against people's positions automatically. They're making a fucking killing from it.

sweet. how much experience do you have though?

you sound like a very experienced programmer

5 years of web/media fuckery in school
4 year BSc in software engineering
3 year MSc in distributed and internet computing

>mfw still making web fuckery, just as full-scale applications

Damn. you're going places.

I've enjoyed this conversation very much.

Good luck with your future endeavors user

>Good luck with your future endeavors user
you too fren.

PS: Learn javascript and make web fuckery. it pays.

everyone complains about electron, but I see nobody complaining about how utter convoluted dogshit qt and gtk3 are.

You don't need native software for a fucking image board website. Now fuck off back to discord.

discord is an electron app

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 27K)

While I prefer Qt5, a feature I'd like is tree-view for threads.
Another nice feature could be extended scripting, with something very lightweight like tcl, lua (like some anons here would prefer), guile or python.
If you weren't working with elctron another idea someone brought up in the thread is separating the user intereface from the back end, i.e. creating a sort of "Jow Forums-lib", which could be plugged in to plenty of existing frameworks and languages

Make a Jow Forums app for my smart fridge

>electron
>desktop app
i want it to penetrate the user with a dragon dildo

probably posting from chrome or one of the forks as we speak

I'll make the logo

>Jow Forums desktop app
I already have one of those. It's called Firefox.

Is it possible to post threads/reply using the API?

I think the API is read only

exactly, i don't need another resource-hungry, leaking asshole shitware just to browse a nauruan child-trafficking forum when i already have one that can do that *and much more*

What would you like that chrome can't do?

That was me, what I was thinking was just a program that gets the catalog and returns thread IDs from a list of boards to create kind of a user specific board

nothing and if there was such a thing, i'd either do it in pyqt as app for emacs
no need to have a separate bloated shit just for shitposting

I don't really like electron apps, they are slow, bloated, usually contain botnet, and look/function non-native. I don't want apps to look like websites, I want them to look like native applications, function like native applications with the resource and speed of native.

Attached: 1542479517249.jpg (259x194, 11K)

>What are some features you'd like in a Jow Forums desktop app?
it not being implemented in electron

I would expand on that and add
>thread watching in-backend
>generic, plugin-based API for a general imageboard, allowing anyone to add any imageboard
>maybe already implement the thread->tree conversion n the backend

>Electron triggers me!
You killed the project before it even got to the logo. OP has to go learn a new framework and programming language before his project will be acceptable to you. Instead of getting an interesting project that's not perfect but has its value, you get nothing at all.

Man, go fuck yourself for lumping me in with that
>While I prefer Qt5
>prefer

Thread should have ended here

Ya people shit one Electron but Discord is much better than ANY app like it like TS for example (while not looking like trash which is nice)and VS Code is the best Video Code editor on the market and thats an objective statement

Attached: 3142412142.jpg (660x400, 20K)

>thats an objective statement
maybe for webshit
>haskero and haskelly still sucks compared to intero
>getting output from static analyzers into intellisense is still nearly impossible, unlike flycheck+company
>magit is still miles ahead of gitlens and that other shit
>good luck getting radare2, systemtap, dtrace, ... to work with vscode
>ProofGeneral, nuff said
now things that can't be fixed
>input lag
>portability
>org-mode
>semantic config

>portability
?
>input lag

???

Attached: 1531109129109.png (303x311, 178K)

good.

I was never going to use some horrible electron GUI Jow Forums browser anyway. I'd be interested in a terminal Jow Forums program with vim-like key bindings, that'd be awesome. I'd never have to use a GUI again.

Every electron app I've ever tried is bloated botnet infested bland garbage with absolutely no value over that of a webpage, poorly written pseudo application garbage. This apple style innovative idea is literally taking a web page and making it a webpage wrapped in megabytes of bloat which isn't interesting at all unless you're a fat fetishist.

>you killed it
We did it Reddit!

Attached: lets do this.gif (237x330, 1.11M)

fpbp

haskelly uses intero you inbred.

Also the best haskell plugin is hie, and it is editor agnostic but the reference plugin is made for vs code.

>haskelly uses intero
and gitlens uses git just like magit does
the difference is still night and day
>best haskell plugin is hie
maybe in 3 years, meanwhile i wouldn't dare run it as production environment

i wish electron would fuck off and die

Attached: image0-6-1.jpg (272x272, 7K)

>I notice keystroke lag in VS Code and Atom.
Stop running a pentium 2.

for Slack and Discord I recommend using Ripcord. It's a much faster client for both applications

cancel.fm/ripcord/

If you adapt this retarded mentality that shit software > no software then sooner or later you'll end with only shit software and wonder what went wrong.

this