Is it just me or is Android getting worse with each new version?

Is it just me or is Android getting worse with each new version?

Attached: 1525746733435.jpg (249x202, 4K)

Other urls found in this thread:

review.lineageos.org/#/c/232259
jira.lineageos.org/browse/BUGBASH-2221
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yes, it all went downhill from here.

Attached: d.png (620x462, 458K)

>(s)he updates android

>using Google botnet shit

>t. filled in a google captcha to make this post

Uh, no.

Prove it then you pathetic cuck

xD

Good thread

Kitkat was bess?

yeah KK best

It’s getting worse because Google was always an advertisement company that never had your best interests at heart, unless if it meant selling back to you

It all went down hill after lollipop

*sip* kitkat, now THAT was an OS

Attached: file.png (508x444, 108K)

these unironically

4.1-4.4 was the prime. You could get mainstream US carrier variants of Samsung flagships like the s3, unlock the bootloader, and choose from literally 100 flawless ROMs that all offered something unique. Then lollipop broke everything like Xposed and cyanogen theme engine.

>you could rice in SO MANY WAYS
Imagine being this mentally challenged.

word

There's still magisk now but all the fun is gone. Marshmallow onwards just feels generic and Google keeps going forward with its shitty ux and quest to make everything searing white.

I've disabled, turned off, or otherwise uninstalled anything related to Google. And I've installed software that lets me run Linux programs natively on it - without needing to jailbreak it.

Yeah, android was already degenerating on 4.x, but that was its peak.
It all went horribly wrong from there on.

This
Android user from the beginning. I got started with the second Android device released in North America, HTC Hero. Moved on to various Nexus and other devices. The ROM scene around Gingerbread forward was just awesome. 4.x series Android was the best hands down. Typically though, they couldnt leave a good thing alone and had to start changing shit for the sake of change, and screwing it up.
Sadly, Im an iOS user now, never thought Id ever say that.
>Hey, we made the interface dark and black since there are a lot of AMOLED phones and that works better for them.
>We are shipping more AMOLED phones than ever, better make everything white! The opposite of whats good for the screen

>mfw I'm still on KK, no idea what newer versions look like desu.
Srsly, am I missing something?

Security patches, probably.

>what are custom ROMs
>what is microG

>>what are custom ROMs
>>what is microG
Garbage.

They made holo great and KitKat was peak then they killed it
Then they made MD pretty good with Nougat and are now replacing it with MD2 which looks like ass

Informed and nuanced response, thanks.

LOS had an annoying ass auto-rotate bug that wasn't fixed until a few days ago, and microg development is so slow that many apps dependent on GSF don't even work properly anymore. Happy?

android started going downhil a year or 2 after the oneplus one was released. now there's 50.1 million different android devices running 40 million different oem modified roms that come loaded with bloat and telemetry you can't turn off. and the stupidly short device lifetimes mean custom rom devs cant keep up and actually polish their shit before releasing it otherwise they get flooded with requests for the next cool device

Wow, I forgot how much better Android used to be.

kitkat was probably unironically the best android, >=5 was a huge decline

Speaking about design? Maybe.
Performance, overall experience? Not really.

>And I've installed software that lets me run Linux programs natively on it
Is Android not Linux now?

Jelly Bean was PEAK Android.
>99% dark themed
>project butter introduced
>no ridiculous sd write permissions
>everything just fucking works

the amount of bloat with every new update is immeasurable and my phone is ruined

Android 7 was the best. All it needed was the PiP feature from Oreo. Android 9 is an abortion

android kitkat with privacy guard is the comfiest option desu but like a retard i fell for the material design meme and updated to lollipop back then.v

compile your own kernel
lineageos still uses the botnetted backdored kernels as google
oh wait, you can't, because vendor lockdown and driver support makes it impossible
LOL

I loved the Holo design language.

their new Fuchsia OS is based on non linux. But it's pretty early acces rn

It was getting good until N, it's all downhill from here now.

What I don't understand is why Google needs to change the whole UI with each release, I mean, changing your OS interface is fine, but not when you release a new version each year.

Now we have retards who feel nostalgic over a fucking smartphone, great.

They haven't though, they've been doing it in stages, the last full UI change was material design's release and since then it's just been rounding corners.

What? They radically changed everything since Lollipop, N looks way different than O and P looks like something Apple would design. They change it all the time for basically no reason. Just look at Apple and see how they have barely touched their UI since iOS 9, that's what Google should do, stop messing with the UI and instead focus on bringing new features.

>2018
>not using a 5 year old top of the line phone that just works
The bloat and issues with modern phones you suffer serves you right for being consumer whores.

Where my donut negros at?

Attached: 250px-Android_1.6_on_the_Android_SDK.png (250x375, 112K)

8.1 is peak Android 9 Poo is shit.

I'd say up to android 7 is pretty good. Each release had new features and plenty of under the hood changes to increase performance and battery life.
From Oreo onwards though I couldn't tell you what they've improved. It seems they like to change random useless UI elements without actually considering if its a good change, and obfuscate information screens like battery.
They also keep adding more gay useless features into google now and AI shit that I don't care about at all and no one will use anyway.

I still dont know what oreo or pie introduced. Is it better performance on olrder hardware?

Only differences I noticed from 7 to 8 (lineage) is that they removed the quick settings expansion, ruined emojis, and made the battery screen shit.
All I know about 9 is that they are trying to change the navbar by making the home button a pill that you have to drag to the right for multitasking overview, and the back button will only appear contextually. Oh yeah, they also changed multitasking to show cards horizontally just like iOS which is absolutely retarded because it means you can only see one active app at a time.

This desu

>Is it better performance on olrder hardware?
no, oreo ui elements are more resource intense than nougat's

what the FUCK were they thinking when they made the quick settings panel translucent in Oreo? Did they actually think this shit looks appealing?

Attached: Screenshot_20181127-114706_Trebuchet.png (1080x1920, 524K)

If you think this looks like shit, you would be surprised with Pie's panel.

Froyo and Gingerbread were kino

AOSP (or what's left of it) is still improving. Google's propietary parts which have been replacing (core) AOSP parts and all their new "features" make Android suck more with each version.

>unironically think Android KKK aka "let's kill direct access to microsd for no fucking reason other than shilling (((cloud))) and more expensive models with bigger internal storage" was any good
kys retards
>b-but you can get root and edit fstab
fuck off

6 is last version that actually had quantifiable improvements, new versions don't bring anything to the table other than new emoji

Im on 8 and think it is based. What is wrong with 9?

You have access to the internet. Look it up.

Attached: 1527105570287.png (866x653, 407K)

4.1x was peak Android.

Oreo:
>Stupid new settings menu
>File manager sucks slightly less ass
>New background execution limits and location restrictions, broadcast restrictions
>Dumb notification snooze feature
>Fingerprint scanner gestures
>WiFi has "auto enable" option when you arrive home
>Slightly better storage controls
>Picture in Picture mode
>New battery menu
>Autofill framework
>Rescue Party
The OS automatically attempts escalating fixes for fatal errors for apps and the system itself. Supposedly it also works on bootloops.
>Notifications Channels, notification categories
>Adaptive icons, system now handles icon styling and shaping without devs needing to have five different icons
>Hi-Fi bluetooth codecs
>Arrow key and tab navigation for chromebooks
>Wider color gamut in apps
>Wi-Fi Aware
Basically a p2p connection using wifi.
>Retarded fucking notification basges on home screen
>Unknown Sources setting gone; now you add browser or alternative app source as 'trusted'
>An actual package installer progress bar
>Better text selection
>Sticky notification when an app is running an overlay
And of course
>New emojis

I mean you guys aren't so dumb you can't search something, right?

KitKat was Jelly Bean but lightweight

Performance, security and battery life get better with every version, google is finally grabbing manufacturers by the balls with project treble, AOSP gets more features, so no, it mostly gets better. The areas where it's lacking(like that fucking gesture bar in Pie) are improved in custom ROMs. PSA, Pie has Vulkan rendering in developer settings so expect it to be the default renderer in Q(I'm certain it's going to be quiche).

Android pie is actually quite nice. New faster text layouting and rendering, enhancements in text editing and general look and feel are breddy gud

Attached: Screenshot_20181127-185329_Einstellungen.png (1080x1920, 119K)

Pie:
>New gesture navigation stuff
>Adaptive batter and brightness settings that you can configure
>App Actions
Contextual shortcuts. Plug in headphones, get a shortcut to your music app or playlist, shortcut for google maps in the morning, that kind of shit.
>Slices
Lets you jump right into certain actions in apps. Search for lyft, and you'll see a shortcut to hail a ride, with eta and price.
>Security updates and options
>Digital Wellbeing
Lets you track how often you use your phone, which apps you spend the most time in, allows you to control how many notifications apps send you, how often you check your phone, allows you to set daily limits and new DND features.
>New accessibility features
>New screenshot shortcut from power menu
>Screen auto-rotate button now appears on navigation bar when auto-rotate is turned off
>Volume and sound interface improvements
>Selectable dark mode
>More notification information

Well it's becoming more and more like iOS

The number one thing that makes me mad at Android regression is how Pie doesn't have do not disturb profiles anymore. What the fuck? Why?

God, I fucking miss KitKat

Attached: 5a25a7291400001d57b6b5a8.jpg (1910x1000, 95K)

You didn't even mention a device this was an issue on and you clearly haven't used microG. Decent baits though.

>You didn't even mention a device this was an issue on
Here you go. review.lineageos.org/#/c/232259
I'm using an OP5T and it's been an issue until the most recent build.
>you clearly haven't used microG.
See pic. What now, bitch?

Attached: Screenshot_20181128-121352_microG_Services_Core.png (1080x2160, 219K)

Another huge bug: jira.lineageos.org/browse/BUGBASH-2221

Freetard software is unuseable crap, accept it.

Really? I'm glad I haven't updated then

>LOS had an annoying ass auto-rotate bug that wasn't fixed until a few days ago
What kind of bug? Because I've never heard about this.

Follow the comment chain you retard.

Yeah this looks much better than Pie. Android is slowly trying to become like iOS thus threads like these.
KitKat was best, everything >= 5 has been a shitshow.
What phone is this?

pixel 1 running micro g lineage 15.1
I looked up the quick settings panel on pie and I actually like it more than in Oreo. They made it look like it's a UI for a fisherprice phone (eerily similar to iOS), but at least it's opaque and my icons don't bleed through it.

Started with gingerbread on a Nexus S, shit was super solid. I held onto that phone until I replaced it with an S4, which was overrated, shitty, and broke within a quarter of the year so I replaced the S4 with an HTC One M7, which shipped with jelly bean. Jellybean + M7 = GOAT. I bet if the batteries were still good on that M7, I would still be on that phone.

Anyways, I feel it all really went down right after jellybean peaked onwards, definitely lollipop era

Attached: goog's noug.jpg (1173x938, 396K)

>I've disabled, turned off, or otherwise uninstalled anything related to Google
>still on Jow Forums

The only thing i see that looks cool to me is that pie added vulcan support which is potentially huge. Theyre killing off android though ehich i dont get (fuchsia)

I gave up on Android after Kit Kat. Instead, I just use a BlackBerry so I don't start at my phone all day. It is a pleasure to type messages on a real keyboard, and it's great that it has
>noapps
so I can do more productive shit with my life, like post on this shit website

Peaked with Lollipop, downhill from there. I never thought I'd see the day where Apple's products actually start to look good.

It’s why I switched, Android just got bogged down with bloat and I got tired of fiddling with custom roms. Plus it’s super convenient to use SMS and iMessage all from one app, as well as video/WiFi calls through Facetime, without needing a third party solution. Sideloading apps is a PITA but it is doable without jailbreak.

Attached: CC496CB7-6EAC-447E-80FD-A29853CFDCD2.png (750x1334, 1.75M)

It doesn't look so bad with the dark theme 2bh

Attached: Screenshot_20181127-230323.png (1080x2160, 1.78M)

How do you sideload without jailbreak? Also for everything wrong with android ios is infinitely worse. Not to mention the ridiculous pricing

You're right, the effect is much less noticeable. Perhaps I should switch from automatic theme to dark all the time.

If you're not using xposed though its a pain to force the dark theme. I had to use LWP+ before but it doesn't let you set a different lock and home screen.

Oreo broke so many things with my Nokia 6

Not like I ever need any notification at time someone is attempting to reach me right?

>Right?

Attached: 1533502293289.jpg (900x900, 85K)

I'm actually running lineage which lets me set a theme to use, but thank you for the info anyway!

7 > 8.1, just like Windows.

Nice quads.
Either use a third party AppStore and trust its cert (risky) or use Cydia Impactor (safer, but reinstall every 7 days).

Coming from 5 to 7, 7 is. better.