What is to the 2020s what Bell Labs was to the 1970s?

What is to the 2020s what Bell Labs was to the 1970s?

Attached: 800px-Bell_Laboratories_West_Street.jpg (800x1024, 205K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Brain_Project
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TrueNorth
youtube.com/watch?v=LikxFZZO2sk
youtube.com/watch?v=tc4ROCJYbm0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Dunno m8

Tesla unironically

How?
What've they done?

>designing system software that will define computing for at least half a century
>designing overpriced life-size R/C cars with built-in iPad for virtue-signalling yuppies
Yep. Spot on.

There isn't.
From the top of my head Bell Labs invented, or significantly conrtibuted, to the following technologies:
- feedback amplifiers and feedback theory
- information theory
- transistor
- laser
- C & Unix

I don't see anybody working on projects of this caliber now. Not Google, not Apple. It's like this kind of research culture doesn't exist anymore.

They are paving the way to a future of legal drinking and driving once cars become fully automated.

Wouldn't last a minute on UK roads m8.
They'd be trolley problemed out of operation.

they invented tech that was on everyone's mind thanks to breakthroughs in fundamental science
fundamental science is somewhat stagnated right now, hard to make something out of thin air, it's not 19th c. anymore when you could "mix and bash" things into inventions(penicillin most famous accidental invention that wasn't proven fundamentally)
I have a feeling something will change in next 5-10 years, we've been having somewhat interesting premonitions.

that's the mistake everyone makes about AI thanks to movies and books. it's like pre pre pre alpha stage of development, at beta stage it will react,predict and move x1000 faster than human.

>they invented tech that was on everyone's mind thanks to breakthroughs in fundamental science

That's a bit unfair. They had a culture that allowed those ideas to fluorish. This isn't something you find everywhere. Another place where this has happened is Xerox PARC. When you put 100's of very smart people in a building and let them loose (but not too loose) you get incredible results.
Google, Apple, Microsoft have the resources for letting this happen, unfortunately they don't have the culture.

Deepmind

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Brain_Project
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TrueNorth
youtube.com/watch?v=LikxFZZO2sk

tldr anything to do with AI and robotics

>I have a feeling something will change in next 5-10 years, we've been having somewhat interesting premonitions.
go on...

There will be no replacement. No analogue.
All centers of research have died.

>t. retard that has no idea what he's talking about

Which company is the Xerox of 2018?

>retarded boomer whining about his archaic gas guzzlers getting absolutely thrashed by cars that don't even make noise
lol

Check those out... Such numbers don't lie.

>that don't even make noise
That's an innate property of all EV cars, not a Tesla innovation, retarded embryo.

Attached: d90.png (644x800, 15K)

taking this approach is unfair, you know transistor was invented in several countries almost at the same time? if you study all those things you will find where people were real close, or claimed invention before or shortly after of same things
keep in mind information was slower back then. in most cases you can't claim they stole the idea.
another examples is TV, or light bulb, or radio.
it all boils down to fundamental breakthroughs.
one fundamental mechanic uncovered leads to several technologies.

Gas cars are going the way of the dodo and there isn't shit you can do about it, grandpa. It's old tech. It hit its peak 20 years ago, and will only fall further and further behind.

Attached: 1488327626352.jpg (225x211, 13K)

At least their owners can hear themselves talk very easily.

The post was about Tesla's "innovativeness", not worth of EV cars at large, based redditbro. Say no to drugs.

Tesla is at the forefront of automated driving and EV performance. No other company comes close in either area.

You just don't like Elon Musk because he's smarter (and more successful) than you.

DARPA.
Everything the government does of any real importance or notable technical feat is a product of some DARPA initiative.

>rebbitard produces ebyn bait
Have a pity (you).

>you know transistor was invented in several countries almost at the same time?

And?
Bell Labs developed the theory and was the first to build working devices. Semiconductors had been commonly used by radio amateurs since the early 1900's, some of them alledgedly achieving amplification. Almost nobody "invents" anything if you look hard enough, but there is always a treshold between something that "could work" or displays a principle (but it is not practical), to something that actually works.

Tesla themselves have done virtually nothing for the EV market except make it popular among the "nerd' culture.
Their batteries are Panasonic 18650 cells. no in house designs.
For years they were using off the shelf components for everything, though recently they do appear to be using new motors that are a cut above their nearest competitors.
Their self driving system, the hardware, and software, is literally straight from Nvidia. They were stuffing an off the shelf closed box solution purchased right from Nvidia into their cars, running Nvidia software with a Tesla front end put over it. Audi and several others do the same thing. Really the only difference here is how ballsy Tesla is willing to be with liability.
They only just recently started to move away from bone stock Nvidia hardware in favor of an ML accelerator of their own design. Besides that every single sensor in the car is off the shelf and shared by other vehicles on the market.

Tesla as a company just too existing parts and put it in a more attractive shell, but with poor build quality.

user you are arguing who invented the wheel first while real question is who thought "smooth is good rough is bad"
they made it commercially possible, doesn't mean it wouldn't happen either way next year in another spot of the world
other example - jet engines. known since freaking forever, became what they are only in 20th c. when understanding of physics catch up to it.

Fine, they were idiots. Have a (you).

>people are either unique supergeniuses or idiots
imagine being THIS underage

This is why I argue that monopolies can be a good thing.

When Ma Bell monopolized telecommunications, they didn't have to worry about spending millions on advertising, and they were able to put all that money into research and development. Humanity benefited immensely from that research lab.

Look what happened when the government broke up Ma Bells monopoly. We got a bunch of small shitty carriers, who barely earned enough money to stay in business, let alone fund any research.

As a result, hundreds of millions of dollars got diverted from research and went to the scummiest of all worthless industries...ADVERTISING.

So, instead of ground breaking technologies that built new industries, we got annoying commercials.

We need to accept monopolies, and if a company starts to dominate an industry, they should be allowed to monopolize according to specific regulations, one of which being they must spend a good portion of their income on research and development.

You don't have a grasp of history. You thesis is, "well some other people were working on it so Bell Labs did nothing special". Imagine being this retarded.

Monopolies can only where there is a white christian majority, and even then it can go wrong.

i'm not even the guy you're arguing with.
>Bell Labs did nothing special
nobody said that, it's literally your last minute ad hoc straw man for lack of any actual argument.

> It hit its peak 20 years ago,

someone doesn't watch F1

>nobody said that, it's literally your last minute ad hoc straw man for lack of any actual argument.

Are you sure?

>they invented tech that was on everyone's mind thanks to breakthroughs in fundamental science

>on it so Bell Labs did nothing special
I never said that, all I say technology development is hugely reliant on fundamental science
they were first it makes them special, but they weren't unique in their findings.

Dude the 20th century was basically invented at Bell Labs

I understand your US education doesn't let you look at same findings on other side of the globe, but they weren't as unique as you think.
It's like saying Marconi invented the radio, while he was only the one who sold it.

Jewgle

>It's like saying Marconi invented the radio, while he was only the one who sold it.

Who invented it then?

Obligatory:
youtube.com/watch?v=tc4ROCJYbm0

>the 20th century was basically invented at Bell Labs
holy cringe

But it's true.
Imagine a world without transistors.

Why would I? You seem to have poor understanding of what scientific and technological progress is.

No it's because you have no arguments

>When you put 100's of very smart people in a building and let them loose (but not too loose) you get incredible results.
That's pretty much what happens at MIT today

Yablochkin. fuck are you seriously this clueless?

Arguments for what? You don't have a leg to stand when you make retarded claims like "the 20th century was basically invented at Bell Labs". That's false from any possible point of view and quantifiable metric.

ah I also forgot that Brit dude and that one from germany I think, radio was such a simultaneous product everyone argues to this day who was first
same as transistor, at least with transistor there is clear timeline

>That's false from any possible point of view and quantifiable metric.

Because you are an autist who take things literally. It's a catchphrase. It means that Bell Labs gave a significant contribution to the technology who shaped our post WWII society.
Jesus I hate this fucking board.

>the whole argument ITT is literally about the precise extent of BL's contribution
>jklol I was hyperbolic and poetic ofc stupid autists tfw to smart
Your concession has been accepted. Thanks for playing

Attached: 1486384220628.png (680x680, 430K)

>Reaction image

Opinion discarded

boston dynamics

Attached: robot uprising of 2040.jpg (744x494, 65K)

What they do apart from creepy robots?

my mom's basement

tesla hasn't put a single base (aka the reasonably priced one) model 3 on the road yet. In terms of importance to the general consumer, even fucking Chevrolet is miles ahead of Tesla. Elon can make a public scene as much as he wants, his brand still has done nothing to bring its product to the average person.
t. zoomer

Well, Google has a virtual monopoly on search engine, video streaming, web browsers, online advertising, information and many more.
Google maps, Google translate, Gmail, Google drive... Are the go-to services to most people.
They are making their own internet with AMP and the AI field revolves around them.
They made tensorflow, go, and they are memeing their Oses with Android, chromeos and Chromebook, and fuscia.
But they aren't as research oriented ad Bell labs and more focused on muh humanities.
They are larger than Bell labs but Bell Labs wasn't interested in controlling what you said over the telephone line.
At least Google publishes tons of research papers available for free online.

F1 deliberately holds back from using better tech because they define the criteria of their races to exclude it.