Is docker a meme?

Redpill me on docker Jow Forums. What exactly is the point of using it when I can just develop everything on AWS or Azure without learning the pseudo linux type commands to feel special

Attached: Docker_logo_011.0.png (1200x800, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/enfiskutensykkel/ssd-gpu-dma
ladioproject.eu/).
docs.saltstack.com/en/latest/
store.vikings.net/vikings-d16-workstation
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Is docker a meme
Yes, it's for utter idiots who have no idea how to engineer software that doesn't spew shit all over the filesystem, so they 'invent' a ridiculous container system which introduces unnecessary complexity.

>so they 'invent' a ridiculous container system which introduces unnecessary complexity.

You must be a new grad because you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about lmao

Not true. I've worked in an environment where scripts/deployment tools worked just fine because the software wasn't utter garbage. I know it's a tough pill to swallow for a retard such as yourself.

It's for people not aware of static linking so they tried making dynamic linking behave like static linking.

People who unironically use Docker need to be shot in the back of the head.

>Not true. I've worked in an environment where scripts/deployment tools worked just fine because the software wasn't utter garbage.

My point still stands. You have zero experience working with a large team, beyond your basement

docker use hipsters and zoomers.

"Large team" doesn't imply garbage software. But yeah, if your software is garbage, you'll be forced to use Docker to contain it like the disease that it is.

Nvidia's docker extension allows me to test different distros, with different installations of CUDA and different Nvidia drivers using the same kernel.

You're full of shit.

this

Lmao stop pretending like you were ever employed you pathetic neet

So did you figure out which combination gives you the most FPS in CS:GO?

>what are jails
>what is QEMU
Do webshits actually believe that Docker is some kind of new technology?

>Lmao
go back

> large team
TIL user works with tards. Thanks Reddit

>I can just develop everything on AWS or Azure without learning the pseudo linux type commands to feel special

Typical dumbfuck developer that knows absolutely nothing about system administration and computer infrastructure.

Not every environment is some insta-spin cloud one that you are referring too you retard.

bump

If universities weren't filling their comp sci courses with M$ pajeets and pitty diversity students, we might get devs that design competent software that follows design philosophies (software minimalism, UNIX, etc). We would need container systems that attempt to isolate and contain your radioactive decaying pile of a project.

>get btfo
>g-go back

If this was Reddit your asshole still would have been destroyed for asking such a stupid ass question.

Yes.
Get this: some guy is pitching Docker in from of a sysadmin team (they manage some servers, some OpenVZ, some LXC-based, Ansible, Zabbix, you get the drill) and is asked "how Docker is different from LXC, what are his advantages". His answer?
"Well, first, I don't know what LXC is. Second, Docker allows running software in isolated environments".

Some of us use GPUs for interesting things.

>jails
Doesn't allow multiple OSes, nor multiple installations of drivers.
>QEMU
Direct access to Nvidia hardware is hell on earth. You need to buy their most expensive Quadro and Tesla GPUs. Alternatively, you can pay a gorillean dollars for GPUs that support vGPU (formerly known as Grid), but then you need to hire 5 lawyers to deal with licensing issues. Not to mention the inherent performance overhead in virtualisation.

Anyway, Docker isn't merely containerisation (jails) or virtualisation, in practice it's running distinct userlands with kernel facilitation.

>cgroups is the same as isolated environments
kys

cringe
please return to the s-o-y shithole that you came from.

>everywhere I work will always have 100% competent developers
wew lad you've never worked a day in your life

docker/kubernetes makes dev jobs easier but makes sysadmin jobless
vm/aws/azure makes dev job harder but makes sysadmin job easier

This

> implying Docker doesn't employ the same technology with cgroups

>docker/kubernetes makes dev jobs easier but makes sysadmin jobless
lol no, Docker and Kubernetes is basically a role in itself. Developers aren't going to do manage that shit IN ADDITION to doing what they already do.

>docker using LXC
It was dropped in 1.10.

>vm/aws/azure
why shitty devops use amazontu botnet?

But that's exactly what they do, which is why all developer job listing list either docker or kubernetes (or both) these days. Maybe you'd know this if you were actually employed and not some retarded college freshman.

>my coworkers are incompetent
>proceed to wrap application in layer of unnecessary virtualisation
>build tool to manage thousands of virtualisation burritos
>i-it's just so simple

docker isn't virtualisation, it's containerisation.

I don't mean it uses the same lib, I mean
> the same technology with cgroups

what shitty company solely trusts 100% on their datacenter and doesnt consider off site cloud meme?

yeah... no. At Google, maybe, but that's the last place on Earth I'd work. 99% of jobs don't require any knowledge of either of those technologies.

it has a horrific overhead, so they might as well be synonymous.

>99% of jobs don't require any knowledge of either of those technologies.
That's wrong. I work as an embedded developer and we use both here. My previous job also used Docker.

>it has a horrific overhead
It doesn't. Learn how it works before spouting bullshit. It's not virtualisation, it is OS-level containerisation. It uses the same kernel ffs.

>Some of us use GPUs for interesting things.
Name two interesting things you use it for. (mining shitcoins doesn't count)

Attached: 1521518054634.png (497x500, 330K)

I don't understand what a docker can do that I can't do on a host machine?

>embedded
>we use both here
where the flying fuck do you work

But Docker isn't for compiled languages, it's for toddler-tier duplo-blocks languages like Node.js and Ruby.

>Name two interesting things you use it for
1) The company I'm working for makes PCIe NTB adapter cards and switches for creating shared memory PCIe clusters. By mapping interrupts and DMA buffers through the NTB and intercepting calls to the Linux kernel DMA API in order to inject our own mappings, we have developed a mechanism for sharing GPUs (and other PCIe devices) in the cluster and making them appear to the driver as if they are locally installed even though they are physically remote. Recently we have extended this with KVM and peer-to-peer support.

2) Using the same shared memory technology, we have also developed a shared memory API. I've used this API to implement a user-space API for developing high-performance storage applications, so you can concurrently share NVMe drives anywhere in your cluster. I've also added a CUDA extension to this, so that you can combine this with what I mentioned above and use NVMe drives and GPUs that are remote and write and read data from disk directly into GPU memory (optimal data path).

The library for this is open source and can be found here: github.com/enfiskutensykkel/ssd-gpu-dma

Docker isn't "for languages" at all, it's for OS-level containerisation. See

time
you could waste your time trying to run different config but docker does it in just a press of a button or automatically

>Docker isn't "for languages" at all
I'm well aware. I'm talking about the typical demographic of users of Docker, which are hipster webshits who can't into static compilation.

>why using libraries when you can copy paste everything in the same scope
>why use containers if you can just rename and symlink everything in the base system to fit your 9 to 5 needs

And if you're thinking about specific applications, we've used our solution to speed up Keras/Tensorflow training, and we've also used it for some 3D reconstruction application (ladioproject.eu/).

90% of all developer jobs these days use either docker or kubernetes. You could argue that 90% of dev jobs are "hipster webshits" as well, but anyway, using my own experience as anecdotal evidence should prove that it has its place in testing and development even when working with systems- and embedded programming.

- Dynamically switch between multiple distros using the same [running] kernel
- Dynamically replace the entire userland for one or more applications, thus providing containerisation, without needing to run a virtual machine
- Provide native access to hardware (CPUs, memory, devices and peripherals) while using cgroups to limit their use

And, unsurprisingly, Jow Forums proves yet again that it is unable to understand how Docker works.

>github.com/enfiskutensykkel/ssd-gpu-dma
Haha holy shit this is awesome thank you for this all we do is shit with NVME drives and RDMA

That's cool user, contact me if you have any questions or experience some difficulties with it. :) The documentation is quite lacking (since it's boring AF), but the functionality should be in place.

It is good if your application is a shit with 100+ dependencies.

For a small application, you should make apt/yum package.

Og så sitter du på Jow Forums og bæsjposter hele dagen?

Ikke hele dagen, bare når jeg trenger en liten pause.

kinda ironic when docker specifically made for small microservices

I use docker. Containers are future.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-11-27_18-30-45.png (1366x768, 260K)

>Jow Forums doesn't understand a simple technology
>"I hate it!!"

lol tell me about kubernetes Jow Forums-kun

In a nutshell, Kubernetes is how you would build, configure and deploy your containers (including docker containers). Someone who understands it better could probably give you a better explanation.

>all those buzzwords that doesn't mean shit
Nice LARP, retard.

shut the fuck up nigga RDMA is the shit and distributed hardware is the future

how is Qubes working out for you user? I'm thinking about switching

>I dont understand them so they're buzzwords REEEEEE
telltale sign of unemployment

when parents vaccinate their kids

Kernels that provide memory protection and chroot environments are pointless AMIRITE?

Learn how to use exisiting tools you fucking moron or else you might as well help out Poettering with his SystemD OS.

Hi, I run it on x220 tablet (heads rom, i7 16gb ram 1tb ssd), stable since 2012, not easy, but features are great. I use fedora/ubuntu/debian/void templates + disposable i2p+tor+vpn chains.
if you need anything can help
also you need to read this
docs.saltstack.com/en/latest/

>Kernels that provide memory protection
This is literally what cgroups does (which is what Docker uses).

>chroot environments
chroot is not containerisation.

fpbp

Wrong. Containers are useful for anything with multiple environments. It a lows you to set up the OS, and system dependencies once and have a single command to create a dev, test, staging, or even additional production environments. You did build for scalability across multiple redundant regions right? Every major company uses containers of some type whether docker, aws containers, etc.

Why not use LXC with Ansible/Gitlab CI?

Also best configuration for Qubes OS

store.vikings.net/vikings-d16-workstation

2 x Opteron
192 GB RAM + GPU passthrouth
AMD videocard
but i have no money. Maybe DIY
it too expensive for me.

>Docker to contain it like the disease
The fact that you think this is the main reason to use docker only proves your ignorance. I bet you are also against vms because if your software isn't shit why would you contain it from the hardware.

>Some of us use GPUs for interesting things.
>t. coin miner

Compared to Docker, LXC provides very limited functionality. Docker's libcontainer provides simple access to necessary kernel virtualization and a standardised mechanism for sharing filesystem and communicating between containers. In addition, it provides a bunch of interfaces for stuff like libvirt and systemd. Docker+Kubernetes is really flexible, and provides tools for the entire life cycle (developing, building, testing, deploying).

By all means, I'm not opposed to using LXC. If you just need something easy peasy and simple, use that instead of diving into the Docker ecosystem.

>the only non-gaming related thing you can do with a GPU is mine buttcoins
how narrow your life is

I literally already responded to that, see and

It let's you spin up environments with different combinations of configurations and integrations. This is incredibly useful for automated testing and figuring out niche deployment issues.

This. AFAIK, Docker is primarily used with CI for automated building and testing. You can do stuff like deploying containers and shit, but that's all extremely Enterprise-y.

> Docker's libcontainer provides simple access to necessary kernel virtualization
What do you mean? Docker container can host a QEMU?
I'm out of the loop regarding Docker and other cgroups-based containers, so did somebody compare them? Why some companies choose LXC over Docker and other - Docker over LXC?

>What do you mean?
That libcontainer and LXC use the same underlying technology (cgroups), but facilitate them and use them differently.

Well, I can understand that given they're incompatible and you already wrote something like that
here.
However, why one thing is better than the other thing?

thanks user I'm thinking about getting used x230 to try it out and then build a workstation for it. Have you tested it out with kubernetes? Something like a minikube running on a separate VM? I kinda need it for work and it would be great if there wouldn't be any troubles with networking between VMs

that looks cool as hell, I was thinking about going for a threadripper next year but it looks like a valuable option too. Maybe will DIY as well.

Attached: 1523953744659.gif (500x500, 995K)

>However, why one thing is better than the other thing?
I'm not saying that, I'm just saying that they're different and not the same thing. You could probably use Docker to do the same thing as you would use LXC for and vice versa.

In , I'm talking about the difference between containerisation (OS-level virtualisation) compared to full-fledged VMs.

Gcc and glibc won't let you statically link :^)
GNU's not usable

Well, you're not, maybe that's too broad for a question, but I want to comprehend what drives companies towards one or another solution, given that they both want to employ CI/CD practices.

I keked hard

>Gcc and glibc won't let you statically link :^)
-static

Yes you fucking do fiskutensykkel. I've seen you around here before.

I'm not the best person to ask, we used Docker before I started here for Gitlab CI and automated building+testing. I merely use the existing framework it.

The short answer is basically that LXC is a very low level approach and you'd need to build the entire infrastructure yourself (or use some existing third-party one), while Docker has a bunch of convenience stuff already integrated.

On Ubuntu, you also have LXD, which aims to act like a Linux VM (in order to emulate RHEL, CentOS, Fedora etc), while Docker is more application-oriented (but can also do the same, which we do for building for different OSes). Note that LXD and Docker can be used in conjunction.

So what if I do, friend?

> while Docker has a bunch of convenience stuff already integrated
Well, yes, it does. I knew that part, but thank you.
Maybe programmers act like Docker is a Second Coming because it's the only container technology they interact with.

Im a sysadmin, not a developer so what the fuck do I know, but IMO Docker is pretty good for CI. Also I like running replaceable services in ECS containers because if something breaks you can just make it be automatically switched out so you can focus on other shit.

Not him, but LXC is the spiritual successor to OpenVZ and is aimed at being a lightweight alternative to full VMs, i.e. running a a full but separate Linux distro in your container, whereas Docker is oriented towards applications, and provides "host" interfaces instead of running an entire separate software stack. Docker is therefore more suitable as a tool for deployment.

Nothing. Just don't lie to us or yourself. :)

That's true, but there's a big time gap between LXC (even more between OpenVZ) and Docker, however Docker is more popular. I wonder why Docker took off that hard while previous container systems didn't. I have some clues, but it seems like I shall seek the in-depth answer elsewhere.

But lying to myself is what keeps me from jumping out of the window.

Yeah dude, it's dark here too. Just sleep less.

>People who unironically use Docker need to be shot in the back of the head.

this