Framebuffer tools

so i installed gentoo, i'm looking for more tools which can display graphics directly on the framebuffer, without an X server. i already have fbida (an image and pdf viewer) and mpv with --vo drm can play videos on the framebuffer. is there anything else i can do with it?

pic not mine

Attached: gentoo_fb.png (1024x768, 359K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/List_of_applications/Multimedia
youtube.com/watch?v=pvjSNoGL1-g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/List_of_applications/Multimedia

>ctrl+f
>"framebuffer"

thanks, but it only has fbi, fbv, fim and jfbview, all are just image viewers. i just found links can supposedly view images on web pages too, but i need to recompile the kernel for mouse support first

or... you could just use X......?

bloat

you use a 1GB hard drive?

where do you think you are you fucking gorilla nigger

your new is really showing

for screenshots: fbgrab, fbshot, fbdump, only the last one seems to work on intel's fb tho and it's not in gentoo's repos from what i see

Yes, it's HIS new that's showing.
youtube.com/watch?v=pvjSNoGL1-g

I dont see many people recommending non-X programs here, looks like most Jow Forumstards use X bloat with systemd and gnome, Terry's probably talking about you

You already have an image viewer and a video player, what other graphics are there to display?

a web browser would be nice, i like links but it doesn't support JS, so i cant even check Jow Forums's catalog. i'm also looking for a file manager with image previews, ranger can't draw on a framebuffer. and generally i thought more people are using framebuffers, so they would like to share their favorite tools too, but looks like nobody's using it here

Netsurf has framebuffer support. W3m might interest you too.

thanks, i'll try those. didn't know w3m has framebuffer support tho, do you know if w3mimgdisplay can work on a fb then? that would solve ranger's previews too

also i forgot, any way to make CJK characters work (at least display them)? i already have latin, greek and cyrillic working (setfont LatGrkCyr-8x16), but i sometimes use CJK too and they just dont display since console fonts are limited to 512 chars

mpv works in framebuffer mode

tmux so you won't need to jump in ttys
mpv + libcaca, if you set it up to 1080p you can pretty much watch movies in ASCII, I watched The God Father this way
same with ranger + w3m + libcaca
ncmpcpp + mpd for music on your drive
mps-youtube, youtube-dl for watching and listening youtube videos or music
fbgrab so you can take pics of your screenfetch
alsamixer (from alsa-utils) for volume control
transmission + tremc for torrenting, it's the ncurses interface
this script I made for nice colors, copy it to /etc/init.d/ and then run rc-service add tty-init default
#!/sbin/openrc-run

start(){
for i in {1..4}; do
echo -en "\e]P0080808" > /dev/tty${i} # Background
echo -en "\e]P1E53935" > /dev/tty${i} # Red
echo -en "\e]P2D81B60" > /dev/tty${i} # Green
echo -en "\e]P3E53935" > /dev/tty${i} # Yellow
echo -en "\e]P41E88E5" > /dev/tty${i} # Blue
echo -en "\e]P5D81B60" > /dev/tty${i} # Magenta
echo -en "\e]P600ACC1" > /dev/tty${i} # Cyan
echo -en "\e]P7B0BEC5" > /dev/tty${i} # White
echo -en "\e]P8080808" > /dev/tty${i} # Black
echo -en "\e]P9E53935" > /dev/tty${i} # Red
echo -en "\e]PAD81B60" > /dev/tty${i} # Green
echo -en "\e]PBE53935" > /dev/tty${i} # Yellow
echo -en "\e]PC1E88E5" > /dev/tty${i} # Blue
echo -en "\e]PDB0BEC5" > /dev/tty${i} # Magenta
echo -en "\e]PE00ACC1" > /dev/tty${i} # Cyan
echo -en "\e]PFBDBDBD" > /dev/tty${i} # White
done
}

You don't need to watch it in ASCII, you know.

BASED

>CJK characters
I use fbterm for this. It's a terminal emulator that draws directly to framebuffer and uses freetype2 for text rendering. There are CJK input methods for it, too.

>tmux
use dvtm
>tremc
use transmission-remote

w3m is a web browser with full image support. You can also use it as a dependency for ranger to display thumbnails.

I've been compiling Firefox for the past 3 hours

You don't need to watch it in ASCII, you know.

He's right, you know.

FBterm, will give you a wallpaper
Mplayer, to watch videos!

it's a worthless endeavor

thanks for your opinion
you can go back to counting your shekels

>dvtm
why have I never heard of this? pretty cool

>trying to turn your framebuffer into a graphics environment
I like to spend time in the framebuffer too, but you're just ruining it my trying to fill it with applications that ape a proper graphics stack. The beauty of a TTY is in its simplicity: you've got a shell to program with and a buffer to display results. You don't even really need them but you have text editors and pagers to read/write files. Personal computing doesn't get any simpler.

Instead of pursuing vanity you should learn more about your shell, applications, and system.