LineageOS drops support for 30 devices due to inactive maintainers

>LineageOS drops support for 30 devices due to inactive maintainers

>The LineageOS custom ROM used to support just about every phone imaginable, but lately the project has been going for quality over quantity. Oreo (15.1) builds have to fulfill stricter requirements to receive official status, and now Lineage is dropping support for 30 unmaintained phones and tablets.
>Lineage recently announced that builds for a given device would be disabled unless the maintainer (the person porting the ROM to the device) regularly checks in. All of the phones and tablets being dropped are ones with inactive maintainers
androidpolice.com/2018/11/26/lineageos-drops-support-for-30-devices-including-the-redmi-note-3-and-moto-g4/
The absolute state of poordroid

Attached: 1538339765457.png (810x298, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

download.lineageos.org/mido/changes/
forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-5x/development/rom-bliss-roms-v11-2-t3871963
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

meanwhile, there aren't even 30 iphone models in existence, total

Maintain the device and it will be supported again. Maintainers you had one job. It's that simple.

and what's wrong with that?

This shows that custom ROMs are dying

thanks god I didn't listen to the user telling me to buy a moto g

>just keep coding your favorite rom every week for free
>at least it’s better than iOS xdddd

No they are not. Devices that has no maintainers or developers are dying. You are missing the point. Or you don't understand how things work.

Then buy an iPhone or a new Android device. Or stick with stock ROM. It's just as insecure as your outdated/unmaintained piece of shit LineageOS rom.

Of course, two months after deciding to refurbish my old Nexus 7 with a modern, custom ROM, this happens.

Glad to see yuga not getting axed yet.

This shows old devices lose support when maintainers unavoidably ditch their old phones. You know, like wat lots of OEMs do.

That's why you buy good hardware like my Leeco Le 2, has 15.1 and still uses A72 cores on 28nm

Yeah, no shit. Android is garbage overall and so are smartphones. You should be able to flash one singular Android/LineageOS ROM on ANY device the same as you can do with Linux on any PC. The only other thing is downloading proprietary drivers for SIM cards and such shit. Android is shit by design. Too bad no other options exist until Librem 5 gets released.

No, it doesn't. 500 devices are released each year, 20-30 of which are relevant for more than a year. You can't expect them to be supported forever.

What is the most recent device supported officially that doesn't cost more than 250-300? Their wiki is supreme dogshit that still list dropped devices.

We are FINALLY getting to the point in which we will be able to ditch the pajeet """""""""""mantainer""""""""""" middleman in favor of GSIs, why the fuck is this a problem?

What's GSIs?

Look it up brainlet.

There's hardly any ROMS for the Axon 7 Mini.

Pocophone if you can get it on a discount for under 300. It's usually 280-350.
Xperia XA2 and Xiaomi Mi A1.
Mi 6 and Oneplus 3T are in the price range, but older.

Generic System Image
google the rest.

Thanks for the suggestions.

>Xiaomi Mi A1
This seems to be the best value. It even looks like you don't have to ask permission to unlock it.

Meanwhile, here I am with my Moto G 2nd gen, still getting weekly updates since 2014.

>no osprey
my heart was racing for a second

Attached: 1427114232210.jpg (419x304, 24K)

The OnePlus X and the Nexus 7 are the only half decent phones in that list tho, I'm pretty sure someone will signup to maintain them soon.

Nexus 7 is not a phone you retard.

>implying maintainers have to do anything on weekly basis @ 14.1, 15.1.

X is one of the worst 1+ phones, the fuck are you talking about.

OnePlus X has an unofficial 15.1 port also OnePlus One (same innards) has an official one too. So, there's a big chance that someone will revive it.

No u, what's your problem with it?

Attached: 1x.jpg (812x386, 52K)

fpbp

seriously who uses this shit?

meanwhile, there are 0 iphone models with LOS support, total

>insecure
haha.. nice joke, my phone got encrypted after i set the password without it it is just a piece brick
>outdated
hmmm.... let me see.. ah! there: download.lineageos.org/mido/changes/

Attached: Screenshot_20181128-184801_Updater.png (1080x1920, 101K)

(me)
btw nice bait

There's always a retard to complain about dumb shit.

Still a OnePlus, and it's probably better than anything on that list.

why does something this minor irritates you (maybe just bait?)
anyway half true, it is phablet

It's not a phablet either.

The Nexus 5 has I think been dropped, I haven't seen a 15.1 release for it, however my Nexus 4 has been updated to 15.1.
Weird.

>My device is not on the list

Attached: 1541449845252.png (499x326, 225K)

Yes. Lots of devices are insecure despite the fact that you have 15.1 builds. They had a CVE tracker and it was horrible. Devices having tons of vulnerabilities unpatched. Also blobs that are proprietary so good luck with hex editing them.

Better correct people before stupidity spreads even further.

>my device is on the list

a) use foss software, it becomes unmaintained and you get a btc miner installed because you lacked a security patch
b) use foss software, someone shady becomes the maintainer and you get a btc miner installed because they added one
c) use an iPhone and enjoy life

I don't know the other OnePlus phones, but the OPX has been doing a great job for me over the last 3 years.
What exactly is wrong with it?

Can I just send the old phone I don't use so that someone can maintain it?

Not exactly wrong, it's simply not as good as their other phones. And it had obsolete hardware on release.

Feels good man.
However i'm still scared because if my device loses LOS support i'd have to go applel because everything else is shit.

Attached: 81.gif (480x270, 382K)

>still using baby's first ROM

>iPhone
>enjoy life

pick one

>obsolete hardware
>wah, but can you play forknight on it?
The only thing missing (by today's standards) is the fp sensor. Anything you expect from a smartphone works perfectly fine and I still have to find that app or task that can't be run on it.

We need a standard. Appletards have less models. We need to support all flagships and economical devices or Android is done for.

No, we need a single ROM that works on all devices. If GNU/Linux can do it there is no reason why android shouldn't be able to achieve this.

babbies first ROM was Cyanogen though.
They changed names, very important difference!

>my device isn't on the list
>I don't even have to check
>my phone runs Windows 10

moto g 2013 best phone

My phone has been supported by CM/Lineage for at least 6 years, I wouldn't even care desu

That's not how you spell Moto G3/2015

Attached: Screenshot_20181128-213517.png (720x1280, 71K)

(you)

Attached: 1536986261359.jpg (447x680, 153K)

How is this a bad thing? If people aren't buying and using the devices anyone enough for there to be enough interest for maintainers, then they SHOULD be dropped. Plenty of maintainers keep ROMs updated for devices they don't even own if there's enough interest and people using the devices.

This is not how you spell g5+

Isn't Project Treble supposed to finally fix this issue once and for all? What came out of that?

Finally flashed LOS last week after being stuck on August 2016 security patch, feels good.

One more confirmation custom ROM fags are stupid cucks who can only use $200+ devices.

Resurrection > AOSPEx > GSI > touchwiz > lineageOS

>Touchjizz above anything

Attached: get this hothead out of here.png (424x480, 78K)

>anything with useless googleshit bloat above LineageOS

Attached: smsms.gif (510x662, 232K)

>tfw no note8 lineage OS
>tfw note9 already released
>tfw you will never get a lineage OS
>tfw your phone records you masturbating and uploads the footage to daddy bezos AWS cumdrive without your consent

>OnePlus X
Good, who the fuck used that shit anyways

Implying official status matters

>Motorola Moto X Pure Edition/Style (2015) (clark)
Oh, there was support? It never worked lol.

Open source is a moral duty
If you are an unethical faggot I dont even know what you are doing here

Back on my Galaxy Nexus, I used Cyanogen for a while, then another ROM with multi-tasking with app overlays. Don't remember what it was. That was back in the 4.3 days.

Now I just use BlackBerry OS 10 because Android blows.

>Lenovo's Moto G
Garbage. All of them.

Fuck you, i'm using that phone right now

What do I use on my redmeme note 5 now? Xiaomi.eu?

dotOS

It actually did work quite well (owned this phone until a couple of months ago).

Anyone have experience with Bliss ROMS? I want to try Pie on my N5X, but I don't want to install some buggy Pajeet-tier ROM. Or should I just wait for LineageOS 16.0?
forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-5x/development/rom-bliss-roms-v11-2-t3871963

Attached: https---i.imgur.com-qtDlAth.png (1000x250, 8K)

>My phone model, and the model I really want, have no support for any aftermarket distro
Fuck this gay earth.

>Open source is a moral duty

How autistic are you exactly? No one in the real world is going to maintain your shit for free. Money has to come from somewhere.

>see galaxy s5 being dropped
>start to get a panic attack
>nvm they are still supporting the KLTE model
WHEW LADS
that gave me a right scare. didnt wanna rely on pajeet rooms from xda.

Attached: minic and snek - adventure bros.png (207x182, 17K)

>Nexus 5 remove
>begin panicking
>see that Nexus 4 is still supported
Had me worried there for a second.

Attached: 1425137535641.png (250x250, 62K)

>he wanted to buy athene
only falcon was worth buying

I pre-ordered the Librem 5, so I don't care

>He doesn't con multinationals into thinking FOSS is the ethical way, just like with climate change
Brah, you must be autistic if you think your e-begging "PLZ BUY MY DRM'ED SHITWARE APP" is profitable in current year. There is a good reason why Linus and Stallman are raking in millions.

we work through telegram and then submit patches to lineageos. They don't like safteypatch and sepolicy not included in their roms. Developers would love to help, but we are running on shitty pc builds. It takes for me personally, almost an entire day to build a rom without it giving me compile errors. Its pretty easy to build, maintaining and debugging errors is a bitch.

pretty good, just a little buggy depending on your device and all the new pie features getting ported

we are doing pretty good on arrow-os.

Don't get me wrong, I love my N4, it is entirely a GOAT phone... but why the heck aren't people keeping up with the N5?! It's the ultimate device. Great screen, great form factor, low latency touch screen and good audio chip.

Nexus 5 felt kind of cheap compared to the 4, and the radio wasn't as good, less battery life.

Really?
I have better battery life and faster download speeds on WiFi and Cellular on my N5.
Bandwidth isn't hugely higher except for the difference between "4G" and LTE.
I do enjoy the build quality of both, N4 is definitely nicer but the N5 has a certain simplicity that I really like.

I thought that the 'Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro' was an excellent balance with price/performance.

It's a shame that support will be (temporarily) discontinued...

t. reddit meme
they never even tried to confirm that when they posted this shit

Is it worth trying out? Its status is considered stable on XDA.

Older devices lack treble support

Most CVEs are patched on most phones, check the tracker
You can check for vulns using Snoopsnitch, the first gen Moro G has none
Blobs are a mess, specially when they have CVEs, but there's quite some old devices still receiving updates for the blobs from Qualcomm
t. used Falcon with LOS as daily driver until a week ago

It's usable only on devices that ship with 8.1+
Most ship with 8 at best

Yep. I have a Moto G4 Plus, and it's really bad. The screen gets ghost touches while charging and there's no warranty fix - the hardware is literally defective. How such an obvious fault makes it into production is mind boggling. Presumably they just said "fuck it."