I want to learn C as my first language

I want to learn C as my first language
how do i do that?

Attached: 1530768469835.jpg (771x1037, 64K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rk2fK2IIiiQ
sparkfun.com/products/14265
beej.us/guide/bgc/
kremlin.cc/k&r.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You learn C.

yes

Attached: Face-Curly_Brace_o.png (96x96, 1K)

By killing yourself, stupid Hex Maniac obsessor.

BLAAAAAAAAAAGHGGGHA
AAAGHHH

Attached: image.jpg (621x595, 170K)

Implement a doubly linked list, my dude

Hex maniac are best girl

Attached: 1530768200415.png (1280x1091, 415K)

K&R

learn a scripting language. you may actually find a use for it.

I'd recommend switching to Arch Linux, it's the best OS for learning C.

Get a compiler, try to do something fun and easy, take changes, make mistakes, get messy!

Attached: ms_frizzle.png (400x300, 157K)

LFS

thanks !
Is it really ok for a total newbie?

There a lot of softwares written in C that i want to play with that's why

Attached: 1532704445999.jpg (731x1024, 33K)

C Programming: A Modern Approach
How to C (as of 2016)
21st Century C

For extra exercises and reference use K&R.

If you want to actually make something useful fairly quickly: Python.
If you want to learn about how computers actually handle operations and move numbers around to produce meaningful work: C. (and ASM).
C is worth learning, but after you've learned and understood it, move onto a different language to make shit

Install Linux in a VM or something. Working with C on Windows is hell. Ubuntu or Debian will work fine. You may want to forgo a windowing system and just program in TTY, but it doesn't matter. If you're already on Linux, good for you.
Install gcc, vim, gdb, and make
Download a book called Modern C (or buy it)
Just read through the book, take notes if you need to, and do the exercises.

Im a noob and I find it comfy, do all the exercises by yourself and if you dont understand something do further research, try not to google solutions to your problems but try to think

I fucking hate C so much. If you're wanting to do this stuff casually learn a high level language. C is less wieldy and will take more time to attain any real level of proficiency. It's more likely to sour your relationship with programming then add value to learn it first

>There a lot of softwares written in C that i want to play with that's why
look up a tutorial on youtube that teaches c and go through it. k&r is kind of too much for a beginner but i guess you could give it a shot. dev-c++ is best for someone like you since it includes a c (and c++) compiler by default and helps you organize your code and projects. this dudes videos seem alright youtube.com/watch?v=rk2fK2IIiiQ

Just find a decent tutorial and start learning. You shouldn't just be reading the tutorial, but also follow all of the examples and do all the exercises (if the tutorial/book has any). And after learning the basics just start programming. You'll eventually learn more things on the way.

Thanks guy
i think I'll "look into a book" first and stick with it
Should i use Code::Blocks or do it on Gnu/linux?
My second (old) computer run on Debian

Attached: 1536098794420.jpg (799x1199, 134K)

my first language was C and i don't feel that way whatsoever
maybe it's stockholm syndrome or something but i don't particularly want to move away from using it in favour of something that's better simply because it's the new trendy flavour of the week language. ultimately they all do the same thing

Use gnu/linux, the entire operating system is a glorified C IDE
learn to use vim or emacs

dont use IDE, learn vim and use command line to do stuff, that way you will learn much more, and for OS definetely use some kind of UNIX-like system like linux

Don't listen to him/emacs faggot. Use a IDE or a mouse-driven text editor

>just be inefficient and install my botnet bloatware goy

Attached: 349.jpg (637x921, 33K)

>using IDE on a UNIX-like system

kys winfag

Literally Google "C tutorial", there's tons of great websites that do a really good job of teaching the basics. You won't get your head around pointers until you start actually writing programs and using them.

C is a high level language you stupid inbred monkey

"The C Programming Language pdf" in your favourite search engine, it's made by the creators of C. Don't listen to the idiots trying to pick an editor for you, use whatever is the most comfortable, you can change it at any time.

Attached: 1492832377473.png (1052x1342, 769K)

they are mostly used by kids at unis
most common example is:
The kid finds something open source C code, starts rewriting in a new trendy language. But it never goes well and he quits after sometime

I used it all the time in college, partially because my "into to systems programming" teaching was MILF
She got me real interested in C, and it's still my favorite language

Step one:
sparkfun.com/products/14265
Step two:
beej.us/guide/bgc/
Step three:
kremlin.cc/k&r.pdf

As an ex-teacher, who's tried many other methods with students to try and work out the best possible way to learn programming in general, as well as C, this is it.
I have never had anyone who sat through these and couldn't finish all three because it was too hard, only because they lost interest.
All those that finished all three were fantastic programmers in the end.

Find good learning resources (books, videos, or whatever works for you)
Look up for some tasks that people in schools deal with and look up some simpler algorithms.
Once you grind at least a few hundred of those "Enter 4 numbers in a range of 10-99, if the sum is an even number store it in an array as each number, otherwise save the cube of the sum to a file", start making up your own as you will be able to assume how complex it will be to write.
After that look up into some advanced tasks and some more in-depth learning resources and keep practicing that.

All that's left after is to just find a few simpler projects you will be able to finish before quitting and build your way up to more complex projects.

i feel the opposite: i honestly feel like C is the one language where the language itself doesn't get in the way of what I actually want to do, even languages i would consider 'good' like C# or Python feel like they get in the way sometimes.