Is it just me or youtube-dl is broken?

Is it just me or youtube-dl is broken?

Attached: index.png (300x168, 6K)

How so?

sometimes specific videos wont work until you update

tldr; fucking update

works for me

You have probably installed yt-dl through package manager on non-bleeding-edge distro. Those tend to ship sometimes even several months old version. YouTube often breaks something and while yt-dl reacts quickly, the distros don't.
Install it with pip, problem solved.

youtube-dl can bootstrap itself.
Execute sudo youtube-dl --update OP

Buy youtube red, goy.
Oy vey.

These. I have a script that regularly downloads youtube vids from certain channels and every so often the script breaks specifically due to an error with youtube-dl. I have it installed via pip so i just run
pip install -U youtube-dl
and that fixes things

It looks like you installed youtube-dl with a package manager, pip, setup.py or a tarball. Please use that to update.

wtf I hate linux

just use jdownloader

Did you sudo? In any case pip should work just fine too, even without sudo you can install it on a virtual env.

pip install -U youtube-dl

>go to pirate stream site
>don't want to use their aids player or their aids anything
>can tell the video is from youtube
>find video in inspecter
>ctrl c
>ctrl v
>youtube-dl truncates the link to remove the embed code
>since the video no longer thinks I'm coming from this blogger monstrosity it fails
Fuck youtube-dl. Do you really thing I copied that whole thing for no fucking reason? Fuck you for deciding my usecase.
The real kicker here is
>open vlc
>ctrl v
>streams just fine
hurprnrrp durrpppp dooo

Just use mpv for that, retard.

Get IDM from the Bay, zoomer.

mpv calls youtube-dl mate. It's an external library.

I know that. But it still works on more urls than youtube-dl for me (probably it uses different youtube-dl settings). Usually you can just call mpv on the url of the page rather than getting the stream url from a browser.

or download the youtube-dl binary and put it in ~/bin. update by doing youtube-dl -U

>vlc
99% chance you're the retard and just don't know how to quote arguments in bash

>getting defensive over your shit programs shit behavior
You got me bro I'm totally incapable of reading the terminal barfing a whole bunch of 'not a commands' when then happens.

The issue wouldn't have anything to do with trying to execute things that weren't a command.
It would have to do with unintentional: argument splitting, interpreting things as escape codes, expanding variables (undefined variables are just empty strings), etc.
The typical use case for youtube-dl involves a url with arguments.