How difficult is it to actually build a PC yourself? I've never done it before

How difficult is it to actually build a PC yourself? I've never done it before.

Attached: tenor (1).png (500x486, 287K)

Like knowing what parts to buy or to just put it in a case?

Dumb animeposter

The hardest part is determining compatibility, getting over your doubt that you're making good choices in components, and RMAing your shit if it arrived DOA.
The actual assembly is the easiest part, everything snaps together and most connectors only go in one way, you simply can't screw it up.

Not hard at all! I just got the computer I built from alienware :)

Literally 12 year olds can do it, you'll be fine. It's like legos, but for big boys.

based

i like anime

Attached: cream dream.jpg (1280x720, 119K)

it's moderately difficult if you're an ADHD ridden zoomer unable to follow simple written instructions

On a serious note desktop PC is a modular machine that combines parts from a plethora of manufacturers and you should first and foremost make sure that your shit will actually click together.
PCPartpicker does this for you.
You pick a motherboard and with compatibility check enabled it will only show you parts that actually fit on it.
LGA(number) is now Intel, AM(number) is AMD CPU socket.
These determine which CPU you can actually slap on them.
For example 8th and 9th Generation Intel CPU's use LGA 1151.
I recommend 8th gen i5, but ultimate judge will be you, just don't go fulretard and buy a 9900k just beacuse you have the money for it.
It will make your life easier if you actually pick a mobo by the socket, and then consult specific model with Jow Forums, instead of trying to cobble together some frankenstein because you liked the passive cooling ribs on this or that or some such.
Motherboards usually list RAM they actually support by frequency. PCPartpicker omakes sure you don't buy a DDR3 sticks for DDR4 board.
Go 3000Mhz and up. you can check it in filter.
PCPpartpicker will also calculate your estimated power usage so that you can pick adequate APU (with a slight 100-150W elbow room for high loads and potential upgrades if I may recommend)

SSD's are for your OS install and those 3 games you will be acutally playing.
Put your fucking memes and anime on a 3.5" like a normal person please.

GPU doesn't have to be TOP OF THE FUCKING LINE, if you're comfortable with 1080p (perfectly adequate) in games.
1070 ti or comparable AMD GPU are a fucking overkill for years to come in a proper build that doesn't slow them down. Don't fall for the RTX meme.

Lurk threads for info on specific parts, crosscheck with PCPartpicker (it will save your build and also create a permalink so you can show it to others without giving them means to fuck with it)

Attached: 1521317111460.png (631x757, 427K)

If you've never done it before then I HIGHLY advise you pay someone to do it for you. Just tell them what you want to use your PC for, budget, and whether or not you want to be able to upgrade the CPU later on (ie AMD build).

About as hard as combine 5 lego cubes.

kill yourself unironically

You are dumb as shit, it's like a puzzle for little babby you can do it yourself easily.

If you have ever plugged your phone into a charger then you are fit to build a PC
Knowing what components to get is maybe a bit harder than actually building it

There's a reason people meme about it being adult lego's

You'll feel nervous the whole time you're doing it the first time, but as long as you practice common sense the components can actually take a lot more abuse than you'd think

Just do your research, use PC part picker, and find the best bang for your buck, the actual process of putting it together isn't that bad.

If OP has NEVER done this before there's a very high chance he'll fuck it up and at best destroy a component or two. You severely underestimate the incompetence of the average tech illiterate newbie. Stop pretending like everyone passed the A+ cert with flying colors. My local computer shops only charge $100 - $200 for labor in assembling custom desktop computers, it shouldn't be too different for OP.

Attached: 1518627088576.jpg (674x670, 77K)

Some CPU's DO NOT ship with their own cooler
pick a cooler on PCPartpicker.
The most popular one (Hyper 212 EVO) is unironically great.
The second is a liquid cooling setup and you almost asuredly DO NOT need one if you don't plan to oveclock. These things are designed to survive on passive cooling alone (just metal ribs, not even a fan) but it's a very poor form to actually do that, and any kind of serious load will shut you the fuck down, so pick a nice cooler and you'll be fine.
As always consult Jow Forums and crosscheck with PCPP but make up your own mind.
Cases are also compatibility checked, so just like pick one you like, don't have to go fullretard and buy a $400 case for design alone tho. 100-120 should be your ceiling with these things. Above that is pure vanity.

Actually putting shit together goes like this.
Word of advice. Don't buy stupid shit like antistatic bracelets and such, just avoid thick fluffy carpets and wearing clothes that fucking shock you when you take them off.
For extra paranoia just touch the metal on your case before handling a part you unboxed. It's enough, these things are not made of sugar, they actually have pretty fucking high voltages running through them as part of their job.
Case
some cases come with pre-installed APU's. They are usually shit but there are exceptions. You should have this out of the way by this point so just in case there is one and you have a replacement, take it out and installe the new one.
Get Motherboard
Put CPU inside socket
DO NOT APPLY THERMAL PASTE if it's already pre-applied on your cooler. You will be REDUCING the thermal conductivity by doing that.
Use ONE DROP on the top center of the the CPU itself if there isn't, the cooler locks so tightly it will spread all over the fucking thing anyway.
Put in RAM sticks. Dual channel placement is described in the mobo manual. Learn what goes where and how, but they almost assuredly don't go right next to each other. Keep that in mind

Everyone who manages fo find Jow Forums of a places can watch a 10 minute youtube video about how to build a pc and not fuck up after that

It's not hard at all and, like said, a PC is basically a Lego set you want to keep around for a long time. When in doubt, read the manual pages, look stuff up on google, etc.
>>/pcbg/ would be your best resource if you need help but want to stay on Jow Forums.

Annoying and you might forget something, but these days the parts are labeled, there are instruction manuals, and subtle hints that guide you in the right direction.

And even then you have YouTube, something 10 year old me didn't have for his first build.

No, they can't. If it was really THAT simple then there wouldn't be hordes of mactards lining up at 6 AM in sub-zero temperatures to blow $1,000 on the newest mactrash.

I'm not a hardware person at all, and sure I made mistakes my first time, but the only serious one was chipping a single fan blade off the GPU. The card was bought used though and it still worked until I replaced it much later, so it was a learning experience with little drawback.

Don't try to scare OP off a genuine chance to learn a new thing and save some money. It doesn't take any training to do, just approach it slow and read lots of tutorials.

Read my post before replying to me

Like I said, not that simple. They can watch the video but it won't magically grant them even basic A+ skills or knowledge.

An eleven year old black kid was able to invent a new computer, I think you'll be able to piece it together just fine.

My point is that the people who browse Jow Forums and the ones lining up for macs at 6 am aren't the same

You haven't been paying attention then.

Attached: 20181102_21_24_43_g_Technology_4chan.jpg (1539x670, 720K)

bullshit, I assembled my first desktop pc when I was 15 or so and it turned on first try without any problems. it is literally like pic related, you really cant fuck it up if you arent a complete retard.

Attached: HTB1bs3JKFXXXXa8XFXXq6xXFXXXT.jpg (750x529, 45K)

Mactard don't camp in front of Apple store because he doesn't know how to build his own desktop but because his devices are perceived as status symbols by his fellow poor finance management peons who will brandish a $3000 Mac as something you should be in awe from, not something only a total fucktard spend money on.

But A+ is a huge joke as far as certs go

just buy some cute mini PC

Attached: 6A07412E-E408-48A5-9F11-A861A6767BB3.jpg (340x340, 13K)

Even a nigger once managed to do it, you'll be fine

>everyone has the same IQ as you
Look lad, if everyone wasn't so fucking stupid I'd highly agree but all we can do is take a wild guess at OP's IQ and given the fact how most people are really fucking dumb it's not far fetched to say OP is the same.

It's not meant to get you sysadmin/devops positions. It's the mcdonalds minimum wage of the tech world that will let you step into the IT world. Of course you shouldn't be surprised when they're paying you like $12/hour to tell zoomers and boomers how to use a computer. Still better than an actual minimum wage mcjob.

Pretty easy, start reading about what what current hardware/brands are good and why, the hard part here is if you have a budget you'll have to compromise. Assembling is pretty straightforward and you can just follow the thousands of video guides if you get stuck at any point.

I'm not a computer person at all and I've built two computers without failing, even did some autistic cable management.

1.tuere is usually a thread for building PC's or a stupid questions thread. Your question belongs there numb nuts.
2.since we're here anyway, it's a pain in the ass. Even the biggest cases are cramped to work in, screws strip or misthread easily, and even bare minimum cable management is woefully obnoxious. And then there's those tiny ass motherboard jumper pins and thier cables. And yes I literally did this shit last night...I loudly cursed several times and left my cable management firmly in the realm of 'fuck it, good enough'.
Getting your parts together is definitely the easy part...just make sure the CPU and motherboard sockets match.

But...when you first turn the thing on...that's one of the most wonderful moments ever. when your motherboard get lit up ever so perfectly by the autistic colored fans you selected, when you get you OS installed and your desktop gets set up just the way you like it, when your spouse enters the room because you stopped cursing at tiny screws and exclaims 'oh that looks NICE!'

That little point in time will make all the obnoxious bullshit worth it completely. Nobody builds hotrods because they love skinning the flesh off thier knuckles with a socket wrench user. They do it because when they see the finished car there is an indescribable pride in the accomplishment.

Building a PC is like that but small scale.

Despite my own inclination to tell people to do things yourself I'm gonna have to agree with Computers are not "legos" like everyone here wants you to think. If this was even remotely true then IT departments wouldn't need to exist for grown adults whose job description is basically writing emails and using powerpoint/word/excell.

If the tech is nice he'll explain and show you what he's doing if you ask him nicely.

Attached: 1524276016303.jpg (1000x1000, 87K)

OP actually came forward with the intention of building his own rig AND wants to get informed before doing so, so in my my book he is already displaying the capacity to do so.

You'll fuck it up.

You'll pick the wrong CPU, the wrong memory, the wrong PSU, you'll set up the memory speed and CPU clock wrong, you'll apply the wrong kind of thermal paste and your computer will be loud as fuck, you'll pick the wrong kinds of fans and install them the wrong way and it won't be cooled properly, you'll pick the wrong motherboard and overall you'll end up with a piece of shit. Just order a prebuilt from Alienware or some shit.

based

Attached: 1487293186361.jpg (1139x857, 204K)

just don't forget the stadoffs and do not open the power supply.

Oh if you still wanna build a PC after reading about what a pain in the ass it is I forgot an important part, ALWAYS BUY AMD! Not because Intel is a bad performer, not because I'm a fanboy, but because half the fucking Intel cpus don't even come with fucking coolers and the ones that do come with shitastic coolers you'll wanna replace anyway. So it's literally just one less annoyance and hassle to deal with.
Also some Intel cpus can be over clocked and some can't whereas and doesn't give a shit. Also pins on the CPU are ever so slightly easier then pins on the motherboard but that's just nit picking.
And is better at productivity right now and Intel is better for gaming, but neither are in the lead enough to make fuck all of a difference. You won't fucking notice they both will perform fine, so I'll steer you towards AMD for being less annoying and actually coming with decent coolers every time and being able to overclock if you ever give a shit.

It's like 10 minutes of google

It was my first time this year and it was tiresome but great. Just waiting for the components and praying everything works are the worst parts.

Just watch 200 building videos like I did and read the manuals.

Do you mean putting one together? Just make sure parts are compatible and its fucking legos

apparently it's much much easier than getting a first kiss ahah

Attached: 1535919016697.png (640x480, 397K)

Buy a prebuilt if you're a nigger, anyone with a triple digit iq should be able to read instructions and stick things into the only slots where they fit

>tfw always act like components are made of glass

Disagree
I was like you and was apprehensive about putting together my first PC, but I did it successfully and I'm glad I did because now I have the know-how to replace components if they break, instead of having to buy a new PC.

As one other guy already mentioned, just use PC part picker to make sure that your MOBO and Processor are compatible. Aside from that, just watch some Youtube guides and get yourself a screwdriver. It's really not that hard and requires the following steps:

>install your processor into the MOBO
>install the cooler on top of the processor
>install the RAM
>install the MOBO into the case and connect all cables (hardest part is getting the power/LED cables etc, connected, but your MOBO manual will guide you here).
>Install GPU
>install Hard Drives
>install case fans
>manage the cables

Voila. You have a new custom PC.

>He forgot the I/O shield
Brainlet

literally easiest thing ever

my friend was too scared to build his own PC, so he paid me $60 and sparked me up with some weed for building it for him.

Pretty hard if you work at the verge, Elise it’s as easy as following instructions

Alright boys, I'm trying to start a massive OSRS bot farm, and I'm trying to decide if I want to pay for a VPS or if I should buy a dedicated server.
I need enough processing power to run anywhere form 50-150 bots at the same time, what would you guys suggest?

Attached: sULMWfYPmQSy.jpg (769x366, 88K)

if it fits it fits if it doesnt fit it doesnt belong there thats the philosophy of building a pc

Attached: images(3).jpg (207x244, 10K)

it's quite simple, look up some videos on youtube

>using an I/O shield

cucklet detected