It's Friday. Why aren't you at your local hackerspace?

It's Friday. Why aren't you at your local hackerspace?

Attached: 300px-Hackerspace_charlotte.jpg (300x282, 29K)

I have my own 3d printer and soldering station, and even if I didn't my hackerspace wouldn't be as well equipped as my library

I’m not cool enough.

Attached: F2384459-C5FE-4562-9694-B9E84CE4868C.jpg (1067x800, 182K)

my 'local' (35-miles away) hackerspace charges $70 monthly (((membership))) fee.
in the 90's, our "hackerspaces" were the closest restaurant, or we would meet up at someone's house. from time to time I think about trying to revive that tradition, but I don't know anyone locally anymore, feels bad man.

Attached: e152106f-1cb0-4619-97e2-9e070cfc9631..jpg (917x1186, 163K)

Attached: 1543592063116.jpg (1238x829, 217K)

Attached: 1543591967153.jpg (1145x809, 241K)

3 chink production line? They better step up their game

Where is this? Most hacker spaces don't seem to look nearly that clean and well organized. They are entirely full of dudes.

I used to be in a community college engineering club. It was just a bunch of people discussing ideas for projects they never started ("wouldn't it be cool if we made a 4-wheeler that ran on cooking oil?") and a group of people who liked flying drones.

I worked on a project for like 5 months to put solar powered outlets in the bus stops on campus entirely on my own: I found the panels that had been thrown out, I tested them to make sure they still worked, I figured out all the electical circuitry and identified all the components, I spoke to the panel manufacturer to get more parts I needed, I calculated the power requirements and expected power generated, I modeled the brackets that would allow us to adjust the panels to get optimal coverage throughout the year, I created a powerpoint presentation with all my data to pitch to school authorities,I worked with the facilities department to manufacture the brackets...then the leader of the club told me all the funding I needed to finish the project was going into getting more drone parts because they crashed a drone and broke a bunch of stuff. At the end of that semester, I transferred to university and one of my buddies said the project was never discussed again, the solar panels were stuffed in a back room and never used. I'm very sad.

I'm better equipped at home

Solar powered bus stop outlets? Like this? How long are people waiting for a bus they can charge their stuff up?

Attached: pure-energy-solar-bench-closeup.jpg (300x533, 98K)

I can't solder for shit and I already work writing code.

It wasn't this nice, I just had some recycled panels that needed to be mounted to the top of the stop. I wasn't trying to solve world hunger, but it would have been nice for the club to actually DO anything at all; in the entire time that I was there, they never accomplished anything. Last I heard, they were planning to do an international trip to Kenya to do some kind of farmland mapping with drones or something. A nice guy the club president knew gave us a complete welded frame and 4 tires with new axles for the 4-wheeler; it got stashed at one guys house and no progress has been made on it last I heard. Really bad experience.

I prefer the local underground meeting spots, I'm not criminally inclined myself, but there's always someone selling stuff like lockpicks, I pick locks as a hobby and not with criminal intent. I could also just buy the stuff they sell online for less, but I don't want to be put in some database as a possible thief. I'd post some pics but I'm not home currently. Lockpicking is a legitimate hobby.

There are none

> attempts to do anything useful
> gets dragged down by the ennui of the collective
Why did you transfer? That college was offering you a world-class education.

>homeless charging station

don't pick me, senpai

Attached: 1542354153201.jpg (1024x1004, 60K)

>Most hacker spaces don't seem to look nearly that clean and well organized.
because:
>They are entirely full of dudes.

>Implying
Kick out every asshole that doesn't put their shit back where it belongs, easy.
If all your hacker spaces look like shit, open up one yourself. If its clean, it'll advertise for itself,as no one wants to work with the assholes that don't put their shit back.

>Hating on homeless people
That's so problematic, Jesus

we only meet on first mondays of the month

Not him but you get your associates at a community college. If he wanted to be an engineer he would have to transfer to a four year University for his B.S or M.A

I already own 4 scopes, 2 signal gens, 4 bench mulitmeters and a handheld, two variable DC power supplies, a spectrum analyzer, and a VNA. I also have a good stock of components and soldering equipment.

The only thing I lack are tools to machine enclosures for the shit I build which sucks but I make do. I don't need a hackerspace. People have asked me why I don't loan equipment to a hackerspace. It boils down to I don't want some retard ruining an expensive piece of equipment. I loan out the spectrum analyzer and some idiot, probably from Jow Forums will be a moron and apply mains to the 50ohm input to measure the frequency and will blow the shit out of the input atteuator and preselector circuitry. Who has to shell out thousands for a repair or a new piece of equipment? The retard that broke it? No. ME!

Poland - no hackerpoints here. Not even college clubs. Our colleges are glorified high schools for adults. They offer nothing besides basic bitch courses that rely on memorization.

Nice table

I don't pick locks with criminal intent. I also almost never carry them on me, but once you're proficient in picking locks, you can make a makeshift pick in a minute and you can use basically anything that you can stick in a lock as a torsion wrench. Some brands are harder though, for example, you can pick most Master locks with anything that can fit in it, but an Assa Abloy lock will almost always need proper tools that you're accustomed to, there are obviously exceptions to this rule.
Knowing how a lock works and how to pick a lock also means knowing what makes a lock secure/unsecure.
The inherent flaw that haunts all locks is the fact that they are made to be opened. When picking a lock, you're actually mimicking what a key would do, but in a different way.
There are obviously some measures that are used in higher tier locks to make picking them harder, but nothing is impossible to pick.
You should check out LockPickingLawyer even if you're not interested in the art of Lockpicking, you might just find out what lock to put on your bike or in your doors.

Why would you care about keeping it organized, though?

Doesn't seem to be much of a point. People organize themselves on the fly in projects. Maybe for big commercial hackerspaces, but those are different, and I wouldn't want any part of one of those except for really expensive equipment like machine shop stuff and laser stuff.

Attached: soldering smoke helper.png (812x800, 50K)

But it's already Saturday user.

Mmm, flux. Love the cancer I get from breathing it in. Always seems to go right toward my face, no matter where my head is.

>using a public space instead of having your own space

Attached: top-100-billionaires-390x285.jpg (390x285, 25K)

these
also, i have nothing to contribute to them. few times i've been there i learned some cool shit like welding and soldering.

I'm having sex with a woman

Attached: 1522908275120.jpg (640x335, 27K)

>Why would you care about keeping it organized, though?
You're the problem, have fun at your local hackerspace.

Have you thought about an insurance fee?

>could funnel that money into something useful
>buys hobby supplies instead

To drunk to drive there
>mwf I'm the treasurer

I've moved out of a shit state to a decent state, but haven't set up proper yet (don't wanna buy a place immediately), thus it's nice to have a space to go to

Man I wish there were places like this where I live

>Last I heard, they were planning to do an international trip to Kenya to do some kind of farmland mapping with drones or something.
>GO to kenya
>Fly a DJI over some paddocks and take pictures
>Go back home
>Project
This is why I hate people
>That college was offering you a world-class education.
Don't worry user, he's already learned all there is to learn

My space is having trouble with this, we're repaining the outside because it looks like shit, and I'm going full nazi over people just using the space as shit storage, it's such a pain
I've said "If it's not labeled by the 31st of December, I'm throwing it the fuck out."
People just leaving their shit sitting in front of the lockers which are also full of fucking shit, drives me mad.
This is why at my hackerspace we have good gear, and we have "Guy drops in once a year to use our shit" gear
Because when new members show up and it's a fucking mess they nope the fuck right back out, we never see them again, and we don't get enough in membership donations to keep running.

Lab grade test equipment is not "hobby supplies." And I'd love to know what you consider a better investment? Bear in mind I have a good job and am financially stable with a car and a house.

what the fuck is hackerspace

Attached: 12oz_mouse - shark.jpg (400x300, 63K)

>Bunch of kraut uni students in the 90's all living in dorms, don't have space to solder shit and hack stuff
>"vat iv ve all tukken ein monish und renderdas auf sheddenspace?"
>They pool money and rent some cheap building
>Now they all have a bunch of space to hack shit

Was it provided to you by a place you work at? Could you make money even without it? If 2x yes, its hobby supplies.

You could actually change other people's lives for better but no, you buy «lab grade test equipment» to take apart and analyze stuff or whatever, alone in your home.

Obviously its your money and if it brings you happiness you couldn't care less about some user judging you. But still...

Its a 2.5 hour drive away

imagine the reek

>be a cuck
Lmao, no.

> Microphones around the table
Typical grills. Not interested in the hobby; just the attention

Attached: squashed ugh pepe.png (399x400, 13K)

I'm not in the business of changing lives. If idiots need equipment to work on go get a fucking job and buy your own crap. Start flipping burgers if you have no skills.

nice troll user, who gives a fuck about other people, why should he work for poor niggers that dont do shit in their life

I hate computers

>Kick out every asshole that doesn't put their shit back where it belongs
now you don't have clients, dude

lol wat

Imagine wanting to check out a hackerspace where he hangs out
>come in
>see people chilling out, some just talking, others doing stuff
>notice passive-aggresive stickers laid out around the place
>this strung-up guy comes in, he looks like wanting to get something off his chest but he doesnt say anything
>atmosphere tightens, no longer a chill place
>check out the maillist on a shared computer
>two thirds are messages from one guy having a big chip on his shoulder telling other people how to behave
>no one replies to these messages
>suddenly realize the vibes in this place are not good at all
>leave
>never come in again

lmao

there's no local hackerspace.

Its full of soibois and LGBTQPs

Because I'm an anxious loser who works better alone?

>Charlotte
Woo rep my area. Anyone else from Charlotte metro area?

Where did you find free panels?

yea same here. Still helps to get feedback sometimes tho, no?

Nobody tell him.

Because their expensive to join. There are two within an hour of me and one is $150 a month and the other $225. Fuck that noise.

Better at the bustop than on the exterior outlets of your house

wtf is a local hackerspace

Because most of them are feither super basic linux stuff engineering stuff or SJW/antifa/ centrals. Not even kidding my local greek jackerspace had a whole presentation by a white commie hipie on how to use techonology to house refugees better.

I came here to laugh at you:
haha

(you)
(you)
>I don't keep my workspace clean, therfore the other guy has to be a nazi
Nice projecting.

He literally said he is

It's too far away :(

I'm not creative and I have no relevant skills.

Cant you just wear a mask?

Fumes are half the fun in soldering user

I get that, but I only have at most 10 years if life left in me, i'd like to last as long as possible.

Being this...............

Oof

Attached: 1523948288320.jpg (377x567, 19K)

kekd

What is a hackerspace? What do you do there? What things are there?

Maybe google it?

Maybe fuck you.

They look at me weird when I 3D print my experimental prostrate massagers.

Considering they're probably using facebook or messenger which drains the battery like no one's business, probably not that long.

>prostrate
Not an anatomy major.

They're probably wishing you would make them one too

But they're mine. It takes time to sandpaper them to perfection.

How can a misspelled organ be an anatomy major? You silly goose.

he's the (You)

Because they do not have any machining tools whatsoever.

Oh, but a dozen 3D printers of course, and some shitty soldering benches. Woop-dee-fucking-doo.

Attached: ma.jpg (1300x794, 85K)

Maybe, but my anxiety is a bittttttttch. And I aint one of those assholes that just try to exploit it to their advantage but don't really have a real problem with it. I mean not saying you are but I'm sure you get where I'm coming from.

>2018
>not printing the enclosure

Attached: 1543591900146.jpg (797x568, 129K)

Attached: 1543592018176.jpg (600x367, 83K)

>Because they do not have any machining tools whatsoever.
Maybe you guys could chip in for a few

I hated half the people there. The other half were cool, but the rest were: two fully blown autist, a fat weeb that says he has a bear body but doesn't go to the gym, and a guy that goes on funny junk and reaks of sweat.

>t. Never lived with women
You'd be surprised how messy and apathetic they are about leaving shit all over for others to deal with

I didn't become a hacker to make friends.

Don't shit on him, as treasurer of a hackerspace, one that prides itself on openness, we had to say "Fuck it" and bar newbies from using most of our shit because they'd totally fuck it up.
Nice shitpost

The only person (I know of) that my hackerspace totally banned was someone who'd bring his guns into the space to clean. I wouldn't be so worried if we were burgers, but this is Australia and it was totally freaking a number of people out.
He basically said "It's not illegal" and "It's not against the rules", given the rules were basically "Don't be a dick, don't intentionally do something that makes others feel unwelcome, and if other people ask you to stop, please stop"
Now, nearly every member, president included, were telling him to pack that shit up and fuck off with his guns. Keep in mind around half of the members at the time were either actively serving or past members of our military, so guns were no scary thing to them, but in consideration for everyone else, that had to go.
We added a rule saying "Fuck you no guns, clean them at the range when you're finished ffs" and kicked him out.
It wasn't so much we didn't like guns, it was that everyone was creeped out that he thought a hackerspace was a cool place to show everyone how awesome he was for having a fucking AR-15 or whatever.
We didn't want someone so criminally retarded in our space, and we would have lost less members if we barred him day one, rather that hoping he'd stop.
>Not smashing that local trap boipussy

>trigger the delusional arrogant sperg by educating his ignorance with facts
>he shoots up the hackerspace the following weekend

Mine has a voluntary $30 a month recommended fee, some pay less, some more.
Either that, or "If you can't afford it, actively contribute to the community", or $5 per entry casual.
If we were getting $150 a month from each currently paying member, we'd pay our yearly fees in 4 months.

>Guaranteed replies

Different guy, and I'm going nazi at the stuff people leave, and throwing IT out. Not the people themselves
See ...w-we have a few shitty old machine tools and only 6 3D printers, we're doing good, right?
> two fully blown autist
Honestly one of the least pleasant parts of my space, for me at least.
When I was a teacher, what wasted most of my time was dealing with the autistic kids, and cleaning up the metaphorical damage of other students listening to what they have to say
While I managed, it's not something I want to relive, especially not as a hobby.
So, when some new person comes in, looking at joining, and looking for advice, it can get annoying when the autists butt in
>I'm thinking of getting into digital electronics, you know, all that stuff you see online of people making stuff, but I'm not quite sure which platform to use, or what the differences are
>"Well, what you've seen can be split into two groups, based on the chips they use, microprocessors, and microcontrolers. These days, the functional difference is that the microprocessors, say, a "Raspberry Pi" [someone's ears prick up in the distance] is designed to run an OS, and has usually around 1000x the memory and storage, and 100x the compute power. It still has plenty of pins to control stuff digita-
>autist emerges
>"YOU'VE GOT THIS"
>holds up pi
>"AND THIS"
>holds up arduino
>"NOW ALL OF THIS STUFF, EVERYTHING, IS JUST ONES AND ZEROS"
>Cue a five minute speech that has fucking nothing to do with what the guy asked, I usually walk off, grab a drink, and when I'm back he's just about finished
>"AND THAT'S WHY YOU'LL NEED TO KNOW BINARY BEFORE YOU CAN GET STARTED PROGRAMMING, HAVE YOU HEARD OF SCRATCH?"
>Guy looks back at me longingly
>I finish short explanation on mc vs mpu's, and the two main camps pi vs arduino
>"Well, for what I want, probably just arduino..."
>"THERES A WAY TO PROGRAM ARDUINOS IN SCRATCH NOW"
>PleaseJustShutTheFuckUp
CONT