RIP Hangouts

Welp, there it is...the final fucking I will ever have to take from Google. Hangouts for consumers is being shutdown by 2020. I have transitioned off all of their other shit, but have been stuck with Hangouts because I have no phone other than Google Voice.

I wonder if GV will be given full capabilities to send / receive calls / SMS, which has required being used in concert with Hangouts, thus far?

JFC what a shit fucking company.

Attached: fuck_google.jpg (400x294, 25K)

holy shit everyone
it's the one guy that was using google hangouts

take a photo

>I wonder if GV will be given full capabilities to send / receive calls / SMS, which has required being used in concert with Hangouts, thus far?
Just use FaceTime or Skype like any sane person.

I use it too, at work

1) Neither of those can place / receive calls / SMS with *phone numbers*.

2) FT requires being an Applefag.

>he hasn't created a robot that interacts with a phone for him.

The best program is one that just types phone numbers into a phone for you. You leave the phone in a room at home, and then wherever you have internet you can dial into your program and it'll forward the number to the phone, that dials it in. Then audio data is transmitted between you and the phone over the internet, giving you the ability to make phone calls over the internet. When someone calls you, the robot alerts you with a notification if you're connected. Then you can pick up or leave it to go to voicemail, which can then be extracted remotely to.

I'm a genius. Except the hard part is actually making this work, holy hell. Good news is that all you'd need is a dumbphone, a vice, and some kind of way to press the buttons.

I never met someone that actually used hangouts. I'm guessing the whole population consisted of Google employees and their families.

>Get a €40 phone
>tracfone service for $/£\¥ 15 per month

Problem soalved

>I wonder if GV will be given full capabilities
GV is deprecated too, retarded user. You better pray they don't shut it down instead of praying for new features.

hangouts is fairly common here. you might not have encountered it much because everyone you know is a moronic normie who just uses sms, whatsapp, or other inferior services that tie all your communication to your phone service subscription.

I remember checking hangouts like 2 years ago and they disabled being able to delete shared images sent via hangouts. Isn't that some shit? At least you similarly can't report NSFW shared via hangouts anymore either, I think.

>a vice and a way to physically press the buttons
That's retarded. Buttons are just contacts on a circuit board. You don't need to physically press buttons, just disassemble the damn thing and feed the corresponding input directly into the phone

You sound like a whiny little bitch. Go report yourself for being a fucking faggot. Then kill yourself.

I don't see what the big deal is, I'm glad it'll be gone. Only use I had out of it was to prank-call Walmart and mcanalds with my buddies.

Attached: tang.jpg (215x250, 5K)

Don't worry, Google will continue to hang out with you

In what universe does your emotionally-charged foaming at the mouth constitute a valid defense

How about you stop whining about this and just live your life? Nike, just do it, you fucking whiner.

Dont you need a real phone number to use Google voice?
How do you set it up without one?

Literally every product Google releases that isn't a core search feature like Images or backwards image search, or a wildly successful product like Chrome or Gmail dies after only a few years.

RCS.

You need a phone number to make a google account here, unless you are using Chrome...

fpbp

Im trying to set my dad up with google voice. When i tried to setup his phome number he needed a real number to register, which he doesnt have.

just means you'll have to move that number somewhere else. I used gv/hangouts to make my service plans cheaper by cutting out minutes/texts (on the go minutes/texts for those few services that don't support gv# like my bank) . Using hangouts for calls means it's always data, so it's always unlimited talk/text. had my gv number for fucking ever, it's too nice.

can look for dirt cheap providers like redpocket mobile, tello, and such. get cheap plans, otg min, and use that number with gv. then just use the gv number with hangouts, don't have it forward to the cell number so you never use minutes. hangouts will ring like a phone when you install the hangouts dialer and set it.

My wife's work relies on it. I have other friends who use it for work too.

This idea is so fucking stupid it blows my mind. Just get a google voice # ffs. Do you seriously not know that voip exists?

try the TextMe app. i was having the problem you and your dad are having. then i installed textme and i've got a working phone and phone number for calling and texting. been using it for 2 months with no issues. it's ad-supported, but i'm fine with that since it's free and it works well.

Youre saying use text me as an alternative for google voice?
Looks promising. Trying ti help my dad out cause hes totally broke and cant afford a cellphone.

yep. i tried google voice and ran into the "you need a real phone number to sign up" problem. then i found out about textme and it works how i expected. good luck.

sorry, realized i was maybe unclear: i am indeed using textme *instead of* google voice.

I had a "real phone" when I set it up 9 years ago, but I wasn't a vagabond back then. Now I rely on it to be able to stay in contact with family members who aren't Internet / "smart" phone savvy.

That's too easy dude.

I use it for video calls with my mom.
Some people at work use Google Hangouts because it's better than the company-mandated bullshit that IBM imposed upon us (which was a replacement for the company-mandated bullshit saying we had to use Microsoft Lync).

I work for a megacorp with over 30,000 employees, and we all use Google Hangouts. It's actually quite convenient.

RIP

Good the less Google the better.

Enterprise users are getting a Slack-style replacement.

It's suckers like me who use it as my primary instant messaging client and for all my SMS who are in trouble.

I use my Google number to avoid getting stalked and molested on Craigslist.

Thank you Google for raping me on 2020.

Attached: 1538192658235.jpg (648x484, 58K)

what is hangouts?

Man, I have like 3 phones I switch from so having a hangouts # was great for that. ATT kept giving me shitty numbers too so I never used what they gave me. Three numbers I went through that were all "new" but somehow I get marketing calls despite never giving it to anyone.