Slow CPU Linux

What's the most lightweight but still modern and secure Linux DE or distro to run on old hardware?

Is it really xubuntu or lubuntu or it's possible to go lower?

Attached: linux.png (1920x1200, 2.09M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5AGl2r_X_Yo
git.devuan.org/dev1fanboy/Upgrade-Install-Devuan/wikis/minimal-xorg-install
git.devuan.org/dev1fanboy/Upgrade-Install-Devuan/wikis/minimal-xfce-install
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

lubuntu if ur new to linux (400mb ram on idle)
tinycore for absolute gui minimalism (40mb on idle)
anything else would be CLI only and would be like 4-8 mb on idle

fluxbox

XFCE is the only modern looking one

Do you consider that lightweight?

I don't know about now but like two years ago i tried LXDE and the idle temp went down like 5 degrees compared to XFCE!

define "lightweight" and "old"
for all we know you could be talking about a 10 year old machine with 1G+ ram and a dual core cpu that'll run anything just fine

Puppy uses some kind of seriously fucked up and unwieldy DE that's smooth as shit on even the weakest systems.

LXDE has definitely smaller footprint, but you also said modern, and they're not modern looking

manjaro + i3

I have a pentium II running ubuntu compatible (based?) version of puppy. Snappy as hell, but i only use it for email, word processor, youtube, netflix. It is nice having the whole debian repsitory to pick at if you need something.

I've had good luck running debian with jwm, but anything less than that is cli only

You can't be serious, that thing in ancient. No way it can play a youtube video.

it might be able to decode one of the 3gp phone formats youtube has
sure as shit not netflix though

the only thing I can assume is a mistyped III instead of II
but that still sounds like it rules out netflix

>1G+ ram and a dual core cpu that'll run anything just fine
That's not the case. A full Ubuntu will fuck that system, believeme.

Crunchbang++

Tinycore is really good

>modern and secure Linux DE or distro to run on old hardware?

I don't know about modern and secure, and I only use it to run vim and avrdude plus a few scripts, but my 10 year old Asus eepc surf or whatever it's called runs debian 3.2-4-686 using 2G on a flash drive for the file system, and 500 megs ram.

and XFCE

Linux Mint Xfce is the best Xfce option.
Alternatively, use a light wm. You're not supposed to dick around the desktop as a consumer. You're supposed to use apps. So it doesn't matter how the DE/distro looks like as long as it stays out of your way.

If you're using a debian based distro, go with netinstall, set up X yourself, and install just a window manager. Openbox will be great if you're a retard, otherwise stick with dwm. Make sure you don't install things you don't need, like print servers as they will eat your CPU cycles. It's that fucking easy.

Q4OS with TDE

seconding this

Never tried TDE. Is it any good?

TDE on Q4OS is like KDE on KDENeon, don't use it on any other distro

if you don't care about looks or customization than try bodhi linux
youtube.com/watch?v=5AGl2r_X_Yo

Blue Dragon

Second this Bodhi Linux is desu

seconding Puppy.

Not necessarily. A P3 with a PCI 8400GS or one of the handful of Radeon HD's could play Youtube and Netflix, even at 1080p. There's a thread or two about this very subject over at Kodi.tv.

*Ahem*

Attached: 6sq1.png (270x321, 42K)

Install Gentoo

I tested 256p mpeg4 at 900kb/s on a pentium II with 320mb ram, it ran smooth. It was running windows 98 though.

Debian XFCE

Attached: Screenshot-20181130_035557.png (1024x768, 499K)

I'm on a 12 year old Debian Turion X2 laptop running netinst Debian with Openbox, totally fine. I've even used it to make multitrack audio recordings with Ardour and Hydrogen running simultaneously. It boots at less than 90 meg RAM (which I maxed out to 4, I think it was).

Very nice.

Sadly OpenBSD ran very poorly on my X200 when compared to Debian. I really wanted OpenBSD to work well on it to :(

>and secure Linux
OpenBSD

stop posting your trashtop any time

>Make sure you don't install things you don't need, like print servers as they will eat your CPU cycles
Is there an easy way to turn that shit off in some standard Ubuntu install and add openbox as a wm option at login?

/thread

don't be a wuss, run it without GUI

Q4OS with TDE. The Trinity Desktop Environment is a KDE 3.5 fork. It's stable, it's reliable, and it has all the features you'd want in a desktop. Q4OS is basically just Debian with a nicely configured TDE on top that just works out of the box. The minimum system requirements are 300MHz Pentium CPU, 128MB RAM, and 3GB of disk space.

XFCE is shit.

Attached: Snapshot4.png (1280x1024, 867K)

bump

this

no u

cloveros
redcore
slitaz
sparkylinux
astra linux
antiX
mxlinux
lxle - lubuntu done right
bhodi - the Q4OS of E17

basically you want to start with a stable debian/ubuntu lts base and pick one of the following:

KDE3/TDE
Enlightenment/Moksha
LXQt
LXDE
Fluxbox
Openbox
IceWM
JWM

also, replacing systemd or gnu core utils with something else is usually helpful: starting with devuan/artix/alpine/tinycore are easy ways to do this

i haven't use ubuntu in ages
oh wait, it uses gnome3 now, doesn't it?
hmm, well anything besides things that use gnome3/kde5 should be just fine, then, such as the last good versions, gnome2/kde3.

to add openbox just apt-get it. most login managers have an option to pick what de you want so just log out and pick openbox.

Slackware connoisseur here:

First: Slackware ismost lightweight but there are concerns:

troubles:

-it needs 9GB of drive space and if you install a smaller system, tis is allowed but it may not function properly (leaving out the games and documentation and international language support during install however will not break anything if you use us english only but Im not sure if this even saves space a lot)

-with an old GPUs, the XFCE will move windows REALLY slowly around the screen while also eating up 100% of CPU, solution to this is to use WindowMaker

-more trouble with WindowMaker, while you now have a nice windowing system which works fast, it doesnt support that many Linux softwares so you may run into compatibility problem (especially on some obscure web browsers), while XFCE will work with anything that works with the Linux

Heidenhein HerOS.
It's modified XFCE with Firefox, Ristretto, Mousepad... preinstalled.

This really worked well.Now i just need to figure out how to turn on off and on all the crap.

Instructions here on how to install minimal X and XFCE. Relevant to any apt based distribution.
git.devuan.org/dev1fanboy/Upgrade-Install-Devuan/wikis/minimal-xorg-install
git.devuan.org/dev1fanboy/Upgrade-Install-Devuan/wikis/minimal-xfce-install

Void with JWM is probably one of the most lightweight you can get without going with i3 or awesome.

arch + i3