Any reason why there isn't a standard for this crap?

Why isn't there a standard connector much like USB, sata, spidf, etc???

Attached: maxresdefault (10).jpg (1280x720, 113K)

user i think you might be retarded

Attached: 1538922145551.jpg (320x320, 38K)

Cuz there are cases n shit with 3 pin LEDs and no reset switches.

Also LEDs and Switches fail and get replaced, it's easier for replacement and customization when they are seperate plugs.

MOBO manufacturers give out Q connectors these days.

Attached: 17-qconnector.jpg (602x531, 113K)

some mobos have all sockets actually lableled in human language for retard like you, might want to check them out

There is, its on your pic.
But since mobo manufacturers like to go full retard case manufacturers rather give you separate connectors. I saw cases with an all-in-one connector.

the pin connectors are technically a standard
2.54mm pin pitch, you can name it informally at shops either by modu (modular molex) or dupont connectors, they'll know what you mean.

But I get OP's point. the motherboards themselves have absolutely no sense of standartization, I made a soldered connector for one asus board, using all of the pins, hdd and pwr led, speaker (can't live without that glorious beep), reset and pwr button which I had to remake for a new asus motherboard because not only the pinout layout was completely different, even the rows and columns were of a different format. Before I had a 10x2 connector, now it's a 5x2+4 with the speaker pins (4x1) offset to the back of that 5x2.

It's quite baffling how there's absolutely no congruency from the same vendor, let alone different ones. It's a mess, pinout position, sizes, like I have a gigabyte mobo which could physically fit that custom 10x2 connector, but the pins wouldn't be correct, pwr switch pins would become hdd led and so on.

>building new pc
>take extra care with the headers to make sure all the lights work
>finish the build
>boot it up
>it works!
>forget to check the lights
>put side panels on and hook up PC
>install OS
>look at case
>realize one of the lights doesn't work/reset switch doesn't work
>fuck it
>keep using PC

every god-damn time

pins are a standard connector , nobody's asking you to start soldering the MB shit to the case shit

power is all you really need

The pinouts are pretty standard for the most part and majority of the motherboards have port located at the front edge of the board. They are right next to where the FP cabling would be snaking in with most modern chassis.

FP connectors are annoying but hardly a challenge unless you have shit-tier DEX.

Be thankful you don't have to deal with proprietary Dell/HP shit.

This is correct answer.

you have a standard pinout on the motherboard
you case would have everything mapped to the standard and you just put it on top, if it didn't have reset, then it has no wires out of it, though I can't think of one computer without a reset I have ever seen.

there is no good reason to not have a standard layout for this.

The only one you need is power anyway.

back when psus being controlled digitally for turning on and off, resets were very handy.

>Cuz there are cases n shit with 3 pin LEDs and no reset switches.

The mobo pins are always the same.
they should just make the cases with one standard female connector that fits on the pins

And if your case has no leds or no reset then just fucking leave that hole on the connector emty/

If it were a single connector you'd have to deal with cutting wires for the faggot lights and shit case manufacturers include for some stupid reason. I only have power and reset plugged into my mobo.

Those standards are a lot more complex than these pin connectors are. It's really not difficult to connect them properly and even if you mess up it doesn't matter, just switch the wires around and it works.

technically, you don't need anything, not even pwr.

Attached: 61i5G6kx3CL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1029, 60K)

>there's a standard
>the connectors always come more or less in the bottom right corner, usually, kinda.
hey mr engineer sir, are you from msi, gigabyte or asus?

Spent 20 minutes trying to figure out why the PC wasn't turning on, shorted the pins manually out of desperation. Turned out the front panel buttons weren't connected in the case.

been there.

I plugged the reset cable into the power connector
Now my computer turns on when I press the tiny reset button.

Been assembling system for the past decade. Chassis FP layout and placement has been pretty much standardized from every vendor. A few outlets that sometime switch out the position for power switch/reset but PC speaker, Power LED/HDD activity LEDs are fairly uniformed.

A far cry from 1990s and early 2000s where layout and positioning on the motherboard was random.

FP panels aren't really a problem unless you got crappy dexterity.

technically, you don't even need a screw driver for this.

Attached: 12InchChromeLarge.jpg (600x330, 29K)