Have you ever contributed to an open source project?

Have you ever contributed to an open source project?

>tfw when I want to but my code will get laughed at

Attached: 1523800877055.png (576x467, 344K)

Just do it anonomously

I have contributed by being the first reporter on bugs 3 times on node.js. One happened to be DoS vulnerability.

Still to much pressure for me.

Code? No.
Bug reports? Yes.

you can contribute to mine projects i will not laugh at you op

I have but it was only for features I wanted or for bugs I encountered myself. Not really going to go out of my way unless it impacts me personnelly.

Only my own.

I have in a minor way. one time I added a 2 line if statement to fix a bug. another time I ported some open source code form c++ to c for another project. i'm a terrible programmer but if I keep looking through it I get there eventually.

Show us what you got, big guy.

I contributed a feature to one. Some of you fags probably use it. It was about a month of going back and forth with the maintainers after the initial pull request, making changes as they requested them. Felt good to finally get it in. It was a good experience, because the end result was way better than what I started with. Just give it a try.

how do you go about contributing?

seconding this

I don't really know how to find projects that interest me

Write some code. Make a pull request. Wait. You can check the issue tracker if you want to find bugs to fix.

Made a little contribution to flycheck, plan on helping out with spacemacs

Not really, it's mostly just minor patches and bug reports.
It's not time efficient to contribute by yourself instead of giving advices and useful information to people who maintain specific open source project all the time and therefore are more familiar with its structure.

No but I reported a bug in world of warcraft one time

even if you do it wrong, the owners of the repository (spcially if it's not popular) will be happy someone gives a fuck...

see

Does fixing broken wiki pages count? If it does then yes, otherwise no.

Only money

If your code isn't irredeemable dogshit, it can be improved (by you or others), and the time you invested will be appreciated and rewarded by eventually getting upstream'ed.

I've contributed to Linux, Wine, compilers for a certain language (won't say to stay anonymous), and I'm not even neither a professional coder nor college educated, so basically anyone can do it.

>write as shitty code as possible and ignore all conventions for the current code base
>bombard repo owners with pull requests
>make a drama when your pull requests get rejected
>slowly start invading other discussions around the project (issues, other people's pull requests, etc.)
>ruin all discussion by calling everyone else retarded (you don't have to actually criticize their ideas/code; just calling them names is enough)
>continue doing this until everyone knows who you are
>publicly announce that you have enough of the original repo owners' attitude and that you'll refactor the project to fix all the stupid mistakes they made
>fork the project
>now insert your low- to medium-tier code
>create new issues for the original repo and start praising your fork in them
>post examples of how your fork is clearly better than the original repo
>if somebody argues against you (or at worst posts examples to prove his point) call him a retard and claim he's too stupid to use your fork properly
>continue doing this until you see people on Jow Forums autistically defend your project

>tfw to smart to contribute

did you just make this up or is this the official Jow Forums way of contributing?

To the devs of LibreOffice on at least 4 occasions

i've translated a few english projects into french if you count that

I reported a bug one time that got fixed

Bug fixed to a few widely used js projects. React, cra, rapscallian. Those types of things.