What's the rarest, hardest, most technical thing you know how to do?

>How did you learn to do this thing?

Attached: _________.jpg (423x282, 48K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UlJku_CSyNg
blog.hackster.io/unlocking-a-subaru-with-a-raspberry-pi-a-433mhz-radio-and-an-unpatched-exploit-de0f88dc7c2c
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karnaugh_map
youtube.com/watch?v=LKnqECcg6Gw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Programming using the Windows API. It's not hard but its rare outside of application development circles. So many students/professionals/academics have no idea how to do even basic examples which is alarmingly scary.

I can use my penis as a conductive transformer to amp up to 5 juuls of dc current run which run in tandem with with a heat shielded brass conductor can power my pc for no less than but not greater than 38 seconds.

Fucking based

Is this true? You literally just include it and use it's functions, what the fuck do you mean?

>rarest
what

Assembly programming

It is either:
>writing an x86 operating system
or
>making a homebrew 8086 computer

I know how to use the Linux kernel graphics APIs (DRM/KMS) as well as most of the low level userspace graphics APIs (GBM, EGL, etc.) and a bunch of related shit.
I've written a wayland compositor with this knowledge.

It's just one of those things where there is no fucking complete information out there about it and you can only learn it by banging your head against a wall for a couple of years or so.

He means that Windows API has fucking terrible documentation.

Fitting a whole egg under your foreskin
Shoving one whole AA-battery in my urethra

>when i was bored i used to fiddle my peepee a lot

>>rarest
>what

I thought that would be apparent. The technical thing you know that very few other people know. RARE. You speak a the English?

I'm always impressed with people who have rare talents. Jeremy Howard is said guy. Though his teaching skills are not as great as his software ML skills imo, but maybe I need in person teaching.

I can trannyboot shit.

I mean people will say shit like oh isn't this thing I am hawking so great! it's so portable and multiplatform so much better than writing native code. But they have no idea how you would even write a program using native OS code so how the fuck they would know ? Lot's of CS academics have no idea how anything works outside of the standard library for a language.

I can hotwire/jack most modern vehicles.

writing my own lexer->parser->compiler. It’s useless I guess, wrote it from scratch in one of my engineering classes, but it’s still pretty fucking cool to know it inside and out.

i know how to grow younger, learned it by accident

Align FEI electron and ion columns, service FEI scopes in general
Asking the service guys to show me shit and on the job training when they hired me later

I can make my own transformers, calculate, design, and build my own circuit boards, and fix carb'ed cars.

ehhh and wind motors too I guess. That's a dying trade.

I've designed multiple chips including processors, dsp hardware, etc. On more than one tapeout over 60% of the digital floorplan consisted of hardware directly architected and implemented by me.

>I can hotwire/jack most modern vehicles.
b-b-b-but my car requires a chip in the key, c-checkmate

Attached: 1543690852826.gif (1280x1141, 166K)

Comp E?

Attached: 1510784133177.webm (1280x720, 2.93M)

youtube.com/watch?v=UlJku_CSyNg

Yeah

Most technical? Some of the GPU shader stuff I've done, probably.
Hardest? Some complex analysis stuff I did in grad.
Rarest? This would be a good place for a joke. But I'm too tired.

Wot? Theres nothing wrong with the documentation. It just comes in fuck off big books that you cant get anymore.

Attached: unnamed (2).jpg (338x434, 57K)

I suppose knowing how to compile a regular expression to a NFA evaluator into bytecode or machine code . There's other people that know how since Ken Thompson wrote the original paper on it decades ago, but looking at most regular expression implementations (which generally use an inferior backtracking approach) it's probably a pretty rare skill.

Then there's the whole tie in where I realized you can compile an Earley parsing grammar to a very similar bytecode (though I found a paper on that so other people know how to do that too)

I can RE x86 and ARM programs

install gentoo

I can build and deploy networks
It's not actually that hard, it's just a really specific set of information and education that not many people seem to pursue, especially on Jow Forums, which is mostly programmers

Wait, just how alarmingly scary are we talking here?
Your sacrifice is appreciated, wizard
That's fucking impressive. Are you going to write anything on it?

I can correct, flatten and center a flat spiral string on a watch.
School.

sounds interesting. Got some resources, desu senpai??

what's the state of greyhat hijack tech? last cool story I remember was all Subarus from the 2000s can be broken into while rendering old fob null using a raspi-w and a $2 radio chip lol
blog.hackster.io/unlocking-a-subaru-with-a-raspberry-pi-a-433mhz-radio-and-an-unpatched-exploit-de0f88dc7c2c

Literally everything I learned has been from googling "(certification name) course free"
Junaid Memon's CCNA course on Cybrary is probably one of the best for teaching what the fuck is going on in a digestible and logical manner, most tend to feel like pulling you into an information black hole. It's definitely a 10/10 entry primer
Youtube is sometimes your friend
Deployment/physical setup is entirely experience learned, though, and most of that I learned from a contracting job and being the underpaid scrub physically installing everything. I never expected it to be so valuable in my actual career, but having that experience lets me know what is and is not possible, where physical hardware needs to go in a building for the most optimal money and performance and adjusting planned topology as required - basically it just cuts out a lot of troubleshooting and need for workarounds before work even starts

For the software side of things, just being comfy in linux is about the required level of competency. Again, it's just learning some of the niche shit specific to whatever it is you're using/need at the time

Also don't skip out on learning Windows/Windows server stuff, ESPECIALLY user policy implementation.

All of the documentation you need is generally openly available, free, and not particularly difficult to understand, provided you can navigate information rabbit holes on your own, which I imagine is the majority of Jow Forums

Use oracle webcenter content's archiver to transfer large amounts of data to another instance, the amount of bugs in that thing are enormous and cause various data remapping before exporting work, let alone importing.
Using idoc scripts for custom workflows is also a clusterfuck, lovin it.

Enlighten us.

you mean like subnetting and stuff?

not that hard as you say, but also not that useful, maybe needed it once in years and then some other guy with an app can do it too

Designing a stereotactic radiotherapy plan of treatment.

t. radiation oncologist

i wanted to do some WinAPI stuff at my early beginning of programming and the whole thing including the documentation was deterrent so i left it

never tried it but i guess now it shouldnt be a problem to learn, but then again why, for most cases cross platform would be more practical

No, as in "we need this building to have a network and it currently does not have a floor"

board repair on phones

ah yes, worked in that field myself but not anymore, but the knowledge comes in handy at some points

I want to do this, but lack the brains for it. You're living my dream user.

There was a story earlier this year about some kids in florida(?) hacking those cars with fucking nothing
And I got laughed at when I raised my concerns about my car having a fob

Normies don't know user. I keep stories like yours and mine catalogued so I can bring awareness to others. Its effective with some humility but its so tiresome.

They wont start caring until it affects them and they realize what can be done with all this shit tech

- Software reverse-engineering. Read tutorials online.
- Using 32-bit color. It's only rare because most gfx apps default to 8-bit, and no one changes the setting..even pros.
If you stare at 32-bit color stuff long enough, all the 8-bit gfx start looking dull and colorless because they substitute poor color blending with the color black.

Attached: 8 vs 32.png (512x256, 63K)

unfortunately true. I've had success switching some friend to FOSS applications but I had to do so w/ the autism approach of "it will 99.9% not have viruses" instead of any technical or ideological reasoning.

audience and pragmatism is key, but one can only concern himself with others so much before it becomes unhealthy :(

the fact that your example is an 8bit image is proof you're full of shit

Analog video synthesis. When I try to explain it even to other intelligent people they don't really get it and keep asking what software I'm using to make the patterns.

Attached: DSCN6316.jpg (2272x1704, 945K)

that mixing has nothing to do with depth, it's a result of mixing in a non-linear colourspace

Karnaugh map: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karnaugh_map

I could also say "Boolean algebra" as a whole, because to most people, "boolean" just means "true" xor "false" these days.

Such knowledge used to be very common, now not so much. Just recently, I optimized a file parser that had to handle terabytes of data, and to do that, I unfolded the entire parsing algorithm, simplified all of it using maps and a tiny bit of algebra, and turned thousands of lines into a mere hundred, turning a daily process that took half a day, into a 55 minute job, leaving everyone speechless in front of such a display of basic knowledge.

There was no memory optimization, no changes to the algorithms or general structure, just mass simplification of endless "ifs", "elses", and comparison of values. Granted, the resulting code is quite mystic and hard to understand, and obviously hard to modify as is, but it's the result of a lenghty factorization and simplification that can be reproduced, and that doesn't change much anyway, plus it's now fully documented. And it pains me to know some retards will come in a few years, miss the point, and ruin fucking everything.

> What's the rarest, hardest, most technical thing you know how to do?
Setting up and administrating Kubernetes clusters
Programming for cloud-native environments
> How did you learn to do this thing?
Reading

>That's fucking impressive. Are you going to write anything on it?
I started writing a tutorial on it, but I didn't get around to finishing it because it ended up being a huge amount of work.
I've been thinking I need to pick that up again some day.

The quantity of colors available to be output on the image never changes.
What changes is how many of those are available to your program internally when it uses math to calculate color blending.

Think of it as primitive number precision like pre-rounded floats or integers, vs raw untouched floats.

I could save the result as a 32-bit PNG and it wouldn't look any different because the color blending is being performed by my graphics program that creates the image, not by your image viewer which renders it.

If I export it as a 32-bit PNG it will look exactly the same.
It will only look different if I save the image as an indexed palette, eg. GIF.

That's what the difference between 8-bit and 32-bit color spaces is in most graphics programs. Behind the scenes the color spaces are very different, but in the GUI the labeling is more simplified.

>That's what the difference between 8-bit and 32-bit color spaces is in most graphics programs.
"8bit" and "32bit" are not colourspaces
c'mon man, i don't even work with images

Could you write a program that converts between the two, so it goes back to the "easy" way of reading it (I'm sure for those who learnt Karnaugh early on, all the if/else stuff is probably an eye sore, while the opposite is true for those who haven't learnt it).

Sorry I meant to say color format; RGB8 and RGB32.

Mate, that shit happens because you're not blending your shit properly.

Karnaugh maps aren't difficult. This is first year shit.

The red is on a different layer to the blue. I'm blending my stuff fine lol.
The main point was that most programs default to 8-bit, and you won't see 32-bit stuff unless someone changes it manually by hand...it's a rare thing to come across that's all.

I know how to get into the hidden unlocked BIOS on my prebuilt.

>he can't last a minute

Attached: Girls.png (449x401, 490K)

There needs to be a world record for how long someone can run an electric appliance using only their own body, but with a non-conventional method of motion (eg. not arms and legs).

8 bit per component? That's literally the most common format.
There are lots of programs that fuck up their alpha-blending.
youtube.com/watch?v=LKnqECcg6Gw

it's a sad thread when this is the only impressive thing that has been posted

I can use I-Deas, which not exists anymore and the developer company went also MIA.
I am one of the last...

Double the RAM on an original 2001 Xbox to 128mb for XBMC.

Do you work only in hardware or do you practice / plan out with any (albeit) software emulation?

that has nothing to do with color bits, one has a faulty blending equation and the other doesnt

Probably setting up S2D cluster (4 nodes) with RDMA. Not much I know but I am just a shitty junior sysadmin. Maybe I should start programming.

>what is msdn

>>the most common format
Yeah I mentioned that earlier.

The alpha blending problem is the same thing as what I'm demonstrating, it's a color format thing.

You can make a single layer of white in Photoshop, and use the layer options to overlay it with a solid two-color gradient. Then after changing to 32-bit color, you can ctrl+z back and forth to see the two examples I posted in that image earlier.

At 8-bit the middle will be black (low precision behind the scenes).
At 32-bit the middle will be purple (like if you mix red and blue paint in real life).

It's not faulty, it just has less precision to work with...hence the "bits" measurement to indicate that.

You could possibly do that, but that'd be a lot more work than just using a sheet of paper and a pen. Now it's just a list of logical expressions in a document, and the code.

This used to be taught as a key tool in first year 20 years ago, now it's barely mentioned, and its usefulness isn't put forward enough. Just like most don't know what an overflow is nor why it's important to look out for one, or how semaphores and mutexes came to be, why the first rely on combinatory logic to detect interference, while the later made use of critical sections and atomic read+test+store instructions to guarantee integrity in a preemptive multithreaded environment.

Now you have retards thinking they're Steve Jobs because they learned Node.JS and code on a Macbook.

you should watch the video
is has nothing to do with bit depth

it's not about precision, its about squaring the brightness

generally terrible

Interesting. NTSC or PAL?

I've already seen it.

It's just describing low and high precision in color blending, aka two different "depths" of complexity. It's the same thing, just explained with different words.

The end result is a more precise color blend, so it is about precision.

One would think that boolean expressions are optimized by the compiler. Maybe it is useful to know Karnaugh maps to aid the compiler, but full hand optimization and spagettification of the code seems overkill.

Develop numerical algorithms for real-time applications running in low-power microcontrollers. Now that's a pain in the ass, my friends.

Writing a DOS TSR.

which wayland compositor?
embedded systems design, from VHDL to C to Altium designer etc. learned it at home and uni

I can't tell what I learned this, but is pretty obvious.

>he doesn't have an analogue vehicle with the strongest antitheft device in the western hemisphere

1975 car with a manual transmission

Also so beat to shit that if someone steals it you just throw a match down where you parked it and follow the oil trail to where the thief ditched it after it broke down

>It's just describing low and high precision in color blending, aka two different "depths" of complexity.
no it's not
it's the difference between squaring + blend + square rooting, which is correct, or just blending, which is incorrect
has nothing to do precision

Correct = more precise.
Incorrect = less precise.

Just described with different words, like I said earlier.

it has nothing to do with bit depth you idiot

>which wayland compositor?
sway/wlroots.

>installing gentoo
by installing gentoo

probably something to do with construction.

Civil engineer bsc graduate here

Rarest? Administration and troubleshooting of Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing (DWDM) equipment within a carrier class fiber network. Which isn't all that difficult if you have a cursory understanding of physics since it's all layer 2 but I haven't met too many people in the networking world with this skill.

Attached: 03-cloud-connect-funk-02-min.png (1000x560, 215K)

What kind of a parser was that? I thought parsers are written using yacc and similar tools.

greetings from a former Omnimaga user

Using two sinusoidal kerr-type black holes to induce several years of time displacement.
Took me many years to finally get it working.

That's it? I've done that.