/fglt/ - Friendly GNU+Linux thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% --help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Attached: BD68121D-9CF0-4B80-A52C-F600331A5589.png (700x700, 614K)

Other urls found in this thread:

packages.debian.org/testing/kde/
packages.debian.org/buster/kde-plasma-desktop
sourcemage.org/Init).
sourcemage.org/Spell/Book
sourcemage.org/
sourcemage.org/Install/Chroot
pastebin.com/i4DALaNV
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=156115
git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/commit/trunk?h=packages/grub&id=f232691e4d49e0073e4c0807fcc41cb242c1e595
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GNU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first for butt stuff

Gnome extensions?

I'm out getting some stuff real quick but if this thread stays up, I have an older HP laptop at home and it currently has win7 and i wanted to replace that with a linux distro. Any ideas for which one normally works well for older laptops like that?

How old? Probably anything will do. Xfce and LXDE are the most lightweight normal gag DEs. Any distro will do, I like Debian.

Avoid Gnome.

I run arch on my 10 year old HP laptop.

Not really. I made the last thread without pasta.

About 8 years but it seems to have shit itself and stopped working when i wasn't looking

Didn't know, thanks.

Read the thread loser.

Is Android free software or proprietary software?

While the base is technically free, the end product is bundled with proprietary software. So both definitions are correct. I like to refer to such software as "open source".

It's open source but includes a lot of proprietary shit. Your phone manufacturer probably included even more proprietary shit with it. Basically all apps in the store are proprietary spyware. Consider using LineageOS os ReplicantOS.

Base Android code is free software.
However Android on commercial devices is full with crapware like
-proprietary software like google apps
-proprietary kernel modules (usually used for wifi, graphic acceleration and suck)
-binary firmware blobs (for wifi too)
-locked/proprietary bootloader
In addition to hardware botnet like the GSM chip having full ring -1 access to your RAM and storage.

Thanks. Another question, whats the phones state that works with free software (librem something?) Is it usable? Or short: is it possible to use a phone in freedom?

Yes, it is possible.
Librem 5 was designed to work 100% with free software. LineageOS is mostly free software but uses binary blobs for wireless stuff. ReplicantOS might not have wireless stuff working besides GSM.

Is it a rule of thumb that Linux offers worse power management on laptops compared to Windows?

KInda of. Manufactures don't usually go out of their way to support power management on gnu/linux. But gnu/linux is very good at resource usage so it's not unusual to get a better battery life, rule of thumb is that if the hardware is not super new or weird energy consumption will be better than on windows.

Opposite actually. Since you can trim down everything to your needs and optimize you can get better results in the long run. Out of the box - I guess not.

I need to make a script that runs a command every time my headphones are connected or disconnected to my computer, but I have no idea of what to do, can anyone help me?

Hiw can I turn a text file like:
>xyz
>nothing
>nothing
>nothing
>nothing
>nothing
>abc
into:
>xyz
>nothing
>abc
?

uniq

That would also trim other instances of abc or xyz, any other solutions that only deal with newlines?

Attached: 1518655576769.png (354x853, 82K)

it only consolidates /consecutive/ identical /lines/

so say "one, two, two, one, three" will become "one, two, one, three", there's still two "one"'s, because they weren't consecutive

So, your recommendation is to try installing all those and see what happens? I will report back when I get back to my computer.

>cat | uniq
cringe

I just want something like sed 's/\n\n/\n/g' that works. Why is this so difficult?

awk '{if(!dups[$0]++){print}}'

this one works even if the input is not sorted

What's the version of KDE currently in Debian unstable and testing respectively?

Attached: 1541430383302.jpg (650x366, 51K)

how to make this output to output

#!/bin/bash
for u in *.mp4
do
ffprobe -hide_banner "$u" 2>&1 > output
done

arch if you can otherwise try xubuntu
i3 is best because it's the least bad of the xorg frens

packages.debian.org

packages.debian.org/testing/kde/
So what's the kde version?

wait
packages.debian.org/buster/kde-plasma-desktop
>5.10
jesus christ it's older than my grandma

Got a solution, hacky but works: | tr '\n' '\a' | sed 's/\a\a/\a/g' | tr '\a' '\n'

so you basically want to remove extra newlines between the lines?

I've using manjaro kde (n-no bully), but I have an issue where my toaster starts to slow down to the point it's basically unusable, unless I restart plasmashell.
I have a laptop with the same os but it doesn't have such problem, but I guess it's because it has amd.
Any tips to fix this? Can I switch os or reinstalling without losing all the ricing I've done?

>unzip file
>files allover my home directory
How to unzip a file into a specific directory if it's not zipped as directory?

man unzip
There is an option for this.

The condiga are all in hidden files in your home directory. Should work on any distro as long as it’s the same kde version.
The slow down might be a memory leak perhaps related to some weird setting choice or widget.

Condiga e autocorrect speak for config.

Please re-read my question. In case it's unclear: I want to know how I cancheck if a zip archive contains a directory (safe to extract) or files (in this case, I'd use a specified directory).

I don't know how it works, but atool figures it out automatically. atool supports all archive tools you have installed, so instead of calling each program, you just run aunpack . atool is one of my must have tools that get into every new install. *shill* install atool now and get a (You) for free.

actual pic

Attached: reality.png (700x700, 572K)

>posting the linux version

Terminally ill people don't get fat, user.

GNU + Freetard

lets say I forgot which status bar i installed for i3
How do I uninstall it? and how to a make a new one my default?

How can I make Nvidia X settings save my display settings for refresh rate? I have a 100 Hz display but on boot the thing keeps resetting it to Auto which puts it at 60 Hz. I've looked in the xorg.conf and it has 100 Hz set there although the program doesn't seem to give a shit.

Script? List the archive's contents with unzip, 7zip or whatever you use, grep or otherwise parse results, and then if/else as desired.

If I want to drop all incoming requests/connections from a specific IP, do I have to install some kind of program (iptables/firewall/etc), or is there a way to do this OOB on Debian?

No, iptables is out of the box way, should be included in Debian. iptables -A INPUT -s -p tcp -m tcp -j DROP

Oh, shit, yeah. Accidentally didn't write "sudo" before iptables, so it just said command not found. My bad. Cheers.

does anyone know how to have tint2 show the mpc now playing, ive tried addys config and nothing shows up
ty in advance

Attached: rtyetryeryfgd.png (489x349, 271K)

What is the Trinity Desktop? Is it some kind of KDE fork? what themes does it utilize?

t. pic related

Attached: man-obese-611848.jpg (620x413, 56K)

trinity is a maintained fork of old 3.x KDE.

how are Etoile and GNUstep related? suppose I install GNUstep based Linux, does this mean I'll have Etoile desktop, or GNUstep has its own desktop implementation and Etoile installs separately?

unzip -lqq file.zip
even better
bsdtar tf file.zip | head -1

Linux is a kernel.

>bsdtar

Attached: 1482201509502.gif (250x250, 993K)

This meme must stop. It doesn't teach anything. If you must interject, interject useful.

Awesome, thanks

A question about i3bar, what are these ?

Attached: 1514470879755.png (119x31, 3K)

a pic

Informations

ok...

Attached: 1536317683628.jpg (500x281, 27K)

Advanced users of GNU/Linux (and I mean advanced), remember to try Source Mage GNU/Linux. True source-based distribution, and (in contrast with Gentoo and Arch) is:
Free from obfuscated and pre-configured code.
Fully committed to GPL, uses only free software (as in freedom) in their main package.
With even the documentation licensed as FDL.
Without 3rd party patches, sensible defaults or masked packages.
Doesn't need obfuscated python libraries, only bash.
No systemd (they've implemented their own init scripts system sourcemage.org/Init).
Uses clean dependencies as they came from upstream developers, which by the same provides instant updates.
Can heal broken installs.
Can also use flags.

Do you like Arch Linux's AUR? Do you like Gentoo's portage (or ports-like) package manager? With SMGL's "sorcery" you get all that. Making new spells (package build files) not found in the grimoire (repository of spells) is easy sourcemage.org/Spell/Book

Bash hackers welcome! Come and join sourcemage.org/

Installing SMGL is easy, here's the simplified process:
>boot a live Ubuntu (or whatever) USB drive
>go to SMGL website and download compressed archive of the base system
>partition and mount partition(s)
>extract the archive onto the new partition(s)
>chroot, set root passwd, hostname, configure network and locale, write fstab, install grub/lilo
>reboot
>compile a kernel (preferably the newest stable one from kernel.org)
>update sorcery, grimoires and the build toolchain
>rebuild the system (hold spells you've already built, so you don't build them twice)
The install guide will hold your hand through the whole process sourcemage.org/Install/Chroot
Do the chroot method, since the regular live ISO method guide is out of date currently.

Here's a list of common commands: pastebin.com/i4DALaNV

Attached: 1533140401321.gif (220x220, 40K)

>done > out
nvm

usually the only reason a lunix would become unresponsive is running out of ram
see if something is filling it up

symbols

>symbols
That's ok, i will go search elsewhere.
>friendly

>houston, we have a problem
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=156115

>solved
based :^)

>using grub
syslinux doesn't have this problem :^)

arch should fuck off to the sucksmore braindead GNU hater camp.

it's a name fgt, just like debian

Is there anyway that I could convienantly grab the text from wolfram mathworld pages in the terminal (i.e. a mathworld terminal) ? If there's no program to do something similar then I guess I will have to learn bash scripting huh.

Also does anyone know of any stardict compatible math dictionaries?

kek, I've searched a bit and found the fix
git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/commit/trunk?h=packages/grub&id=f232691e4d49e0073e4c0807fcc41cb242c1e595

Man, it's a) one billion years old b) GNU is recognized by the community, actually: wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GNU
> Arch Linux is such a GNU/Linux distribution, using GNU software like the Bash shell, the GNU coreutils, the GNU toolchain and numerous other utilities and libraries

I guess the whole autism was just about that retarded (tm) trademark thing.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-12-03-18-57-00.png (1280x571, 143K)

Thinking about installing Linux on my laptop since I think It'd be fun to learn how to use it. Would Manjaro be a good choice to start off with? My plan would be to use Manjaro for a while before switching to Arch. I prefer rolling releases, also which package manager is the best, pacman or apt? Pros, cons?

>install linux
>get propriety software
Why did Jow Forums lie to me?

Attached: 1539374601095.jpg (700x700, 68K)

should have installed trisquel gnu/linux-libre.

Any updates on the fs corruption issue with 4.19.x?

Redpill me on mergerfs + snapraid

Attached: 23c59ca90027e06d1517ca626c8ad8cdd08d5d0dc95faf9fb271a4b07e7ff2d0.png (421x700, 207K)

Install Parabola. It's basically Arch, but comes with linux-libre instead of linux and provides a way to blacklist proprietary software if you want. IMHO best libre distro around.
Trisquel has the flaw being maintained by just one person and being basically Ubuntu with crap removed. At this point I'd rather go Debian (and ignore the nonfree repo/wiki suggestions).

How would I
>get the output from sudo journalctl -u ssh.service -f
>filter (probably with grep?) the output down to just _unique_ IPs
>for each unique IP execute sudo iptables -A INPUT -s $IP_HERE -j DROP

I'm an absolute beginner when it comes to bash. I'm somewhat able to do some rudimentary modifications to existing scripts, because of some programming experience, but the syntax is still too foreign to me to create this myself. Any tips/help?

Do you just want to ban faggots bruteforcing your ssh?

*free-dora + linux-libre
ftfy

So internet worked while in Manjaro Architect installer but now that I’m booted up I have no internet access. I installed both free and proprietary drivers but nothing.

Lspci -v shows my network device. It’s a Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 Ethernet controller. But ip link shows nothing but lo.

What did I miss?

Sure, but my aim is not to ban them all right now. I'm assuming I should use fail2ban or some other such program for that.
Currently I'm just checking the IPs out manually, doing a WHOIS, and visiting their IP on port 80, just to see who they are. Not really doing this for security, but out of curiosity and boredom.

The script would be for when I get bored of checking these IPs, and just want to ban 'em. And when I inevitably find out that this method of banning single IPs is stupid/has downsides, I'll find a way to reverse the effects of the script and go with fail2ban or some shit instead.

Tbh I'm just dicking around for now.

>tfw found a dope phishing site
>tfw probably gonna report an IP that tries to bruteforce from the same webhost that I'm using
>tfw found some compromised sites that are being zombied for the bruteforces
this is cool stuff

Attached: 1508885968432.jpg (233x216, 11K)

Also that kind of script would be interesting to study. I'm pretty sure I could modify it and use it in a bunch of places.

KDE should be at around 5.12 or 5.13 on buster, not sure about sid

link the old thread faget

which window manager should I get for linux mint?

What's the best distro/DE for a machine with a touch screen?
I'm a bit disappointed with how windows implemented it, they revamped their whole appearance to make it touch friendly but it seems they neglected a lot when it comes to functionality.

Attached: c05076005_1750x1285[1].jpg (1750x1285, 204K)

icewm

How do you guys backup your configs and easily re install them?

Attached: 1517489505296.png (1500x1200, 1.88M)

icewm-lite

i have a folder on my file server called bakup, which is where i back stuff up to

journalctl -u sshd.service -f | sed -rn 's/.*from (.+) port (.+) .*/\1 \2/p' | while read ip port; do
# do whatever
echo "ip: ${ip}, port: ${port}"
done

>unique IPs
You'd have to remove the -f flag to journalctl, then sort -u. Or you could keep an associative array of already seen IPs.

Honestly Gnome if you’re a noob.

But you can configure touchscreen gestures with anything using touchegg.