Tfw my boomer dad unironically recommended Ubuntu over arch loonix because (wait for it) "it just works."

>tfw my boomer dad unironically recommended Ubuntu over arch loonix because (wait for it) "it just works."
>tfw he's an IT guy and has dozens of industry certs so he makes 250k easily
Why is my so-called expert dad so clueless when it comes to IT?

Attached: 152245775543.png (379x205, 19K)

Also boomer dad stories I guess

Bait
Not saged cause i like your suicidal thoughts

Maybe your dad actually makes the shit done instead of pointlessly tweaking his system all the time

The only thing surprising here is that your dad recommended ubuntu over debian stable, but either way he is still incredibly based. You should be proud to be his son

What a shitty daughter (male).

my dad said that debian is the just works distro and that gentoo is too hard for me
i use mint

Why would I be proud to be the son of an internet janitor? He won't even help me install arch linux. The only time I needed him and he let me down. He's literally telling me to go lick shit off the ground and eat it by myself.

Is he actually clueless, though?

Are you sure you're not just an idiot that's fallen for a bunch of memes that've been pushed by late-teen/early 20s edgelords, most of which have never worked anything above tech support in this industry?

I wrote debian and arch on my résumé
the job offer listed rhel.
did I fuck up?

Your dad sounds based as fuck

He's objectively right though, Arch is a meme. Ubuntu is the only Linux distro worth spending your time on.

The mainstream corporate Linux systems are as follows: Ubuntu, Debian Stable, Fedora, CentOS/RHEL, and OpenSUSE.

If you want people to take you seriously in the """""enterprise""""" world, you need to use one or more of these.

>corporate Linux systems
>Ubuntu
Fuck you talking about? It's RHEL, CentOS, then Fedora, and everything else is tied for being snowflake distros.

That's true. Industrial uv printers I worked on were based on fedora. Shit performed quite well.

Proof that I'm not bullshitting; it's his award thingy.
But why though? I just want to develop Python on non-microshit software and I can't even get passed the network configs on Arch Linux

Attached: IMG_20181203_071254.jpg (3036x4048, 3.38M)

Arch has a history of being volatile.

If you've worked in industry long enough to be making 250k then you've probably been working long enough to have had several instances where you're working overnight because of a single fuck up. Personally, I don't want to go through that shit again, at work or at home.

It's because he thinks you're a disgrace son and your brain can't take thinking man distro like Gentoo.
Shame on you, OP

because managing many arch Linux machines is harder than manu ubuntu machines, especially the users likely don't need cutting edge daily updates.

Jesus fuck you're stupid, you could make another person with how many chromosomes you have

>What is Ubuntu Server
bruh, Ubuntu killed their entire phone development and Unity desktop specifically to focus more attention on the cloud, because that's what's making more money for them. Clearly people use Ubuntu in business if that is the case, although I will agree that it is a less popular choice.

Interesting.

Arch, although it's really cool, is rolling release.

Enterprises
hate
rollling
releases

Yeah it's true that Arch gets updates faster, but businesses don't want updates fast. They want everything to stay exactly perfectly the same, and just get security patches for bugs and such.

Arch is a joke tho

Attached: arch is not minimalist.png (1169x3679, 513K)

>>What is Ubuntu Server
Just because it exists doesn't mean it's actually worth a damn. In my 4 years of working in industry, the only time I've ever SSH'd into a Ubuntu box was for sandbox development. Dev, QA, and prod generally use the more established distros.

>tfw my zoomer kid unironically thinks he knows more than me
>tfw he recommend "arch loonix" over Ubuntu
>tfw he doesn't want it to "just work"

Seriously, for a corporate setting, you want the least fuss and get it working. If every update potentially kills it, you'll never get work done.

Attached: oof.png (637x130, 26K)

Haha, holy shit. This just goes to show how many people on this board think they're fucking computer experts simply because they downloaded arch and can write some shit code.

Your dad honestly sounds like he knows what he's talking about. He probably knows way more than you do so you should probably do yourself a favour and learn from it.

Attached: 1543069538709.jpg (500x375, 30K)

Your dad is right about ubuntu just werking and probably thinks your a retarded zoomer

If a ever end up having a kid, I hope they don't end up being a ricer.

>rich dad
>gives advice
>spoiled, ungrateful kid feeling entitled

Attached: 1543441667253.jpg (969x969, 103K)

i like using arch on my desktop and laptop, and it works fine
but if i had to manage 200 machines, i think i'd rather use centos or debian stable

fuck off zoomer, your father is right

Ubuntu/Debian are only going to grow in market share because of RedHat's acquisition.

Fuck off retard. He's right. You're just a script kiddie LARPer.

Ubuntu's a good distro that has a lot of support and stability for people who don't mind/know about the botnet. He made a good recommendation.

To be fair, most Arch experts on Jow Forums make at least $500k, double that if they also know Haskell and have an Anime avatar.

why?

> 500k rupees
ftfy

No, you're thinking of the Microsoft experts here, all of whom have a picture of their face awkwardly smiling and only respond in broken English pre-made responses they then immediately mark as the solution regardless of it helping or not.

hes right though
t. uses ubuntu

Anyone who uses arch linux is too autistic to be able to hold any kind of a job down. So they pretend their welfare checks and hello world programs make them a serious person.

Jesus fucking Christ you lack perspective. You're looking at this from a consumerist/hobbyist desktop usage. What real IT looks for primarily is SUPPORT. If shit breaks on an Ubuntu desktop you can literally get an engine on the phone to fix it for you.
I work in IT, I don't have fucking time to fix little odds and ends most of the time, I call their helpdesk to have them fix it for me since if shit breaks they're on the hook for that support via contract, we usually only do in house support on the software stacks we home bake or tech we've had for so long that we end up knowing more about it then the manufacturer does.
You come off like a 16 year old kid that had Kali installed...

>He won't even help me install arch linux
Ok I fuckin' lost it here
Great thread OP
3/10 made me reply

>not debian

nah, they'd fuck up by not hiring you
ok. if he "wont help you install arch linux" that doesn't make him a bad father, sysadmin, or linuxfag. Also cisco systems engineer doesn't necessarily mean you have to run debian stable or whatever. You can do "enough" with ubuntu for shit to work great. Anyway. if you need help installing arch you shouldn't be using it. If anything he helped you out, archfag.

I never got this "jus werks" meme. Every single time I used ubuntu, their kernel config made it unusable or I'd have some issue where it became unusable.

Op is a l33t h4x0r fag. Might as well send him to the gulag

So? His priority is probably different than yours. I'm most likely also going to want my stuff to just werk when I'm middle age.

He's completely right, Arch is for kids. Although I don't like Ubuntu and use Fedora, but it's a matter of preference. But Ubuntu over Arch is just common sense.

great post

hey op think about it this way - if you are working on just your machine, of course you'd rather use arch. when you're running servers supporting thousands of users on hundreds of machines, likely with VM through citrix or something similar, you would not want to use arch. in any enterprise setting, the support is king, which is why you'd think he'd use red hat if anything, but ubuntu and debian make sense as well.
worst part is there's a ton of shit i'd love to fix myself if i had time, but i don't - that's the reality, there isn't enough time to personally unfuck every single user machine.

> Sounds like a user error

pretty much this, well said

Ya, it's a user error when kernel config lacks basic shit like AMD DRM or virtio drivers. Bonus points when after update, you get a purple screen.

Fedora is more of a jus werks distro than shitbuntu.

based

I can't think this is bait since I've seen too much arch shills in here.
You're dad is right.
Learn from him.

yep, Fedora is better suited for all kinds of hardware. That's why Fedora-Red Hat-CentOS are pretty much preferred, in Ubuntu you often find errors that are solved fast or doing a web search, but in fedora that is not even a thing. There are errors I'm the beta and when is released maybe something specific is found to not work, but a week later of release is perfect.
lmao what a retard OP. Getting wifi set up is literally wpa-supplicant -B -i wlan0 -c

Your dad is right. The only thing he did wrong was not beating your ass for recommending a broken redditor dumpster fire.

Attached: c3bb37bca7adf5191fef78e37e889afb.jpg (455x675, 80K)

>networking
why would he know anything about linux distros or even linux when he spends most of his time configuring network interfaces in different pieces of hardware where none of this knowledge is required. this just shows how immature and clueless you are.

He's fucking right.

my dad hates linux and makes fun of me for using it

you know those comics about archfag and debianfag meeting up and arch is still in school after like 7 years because he's a retarded shithead? thats me. my dad graduated with a 3.5. If I don't end up failing out I'll graduate with slightly over 2.

Your dad is completely correct and I'm posting this from an arch machine right now.

he is just tired of wasting time fiddling with useless shit. i've been using arch since 2009 and i've been thinking about moving to ubuntu at least once every week for the last 2 years.

whenever a new version comes out i check it out but it never feels as good as arch.

nicebaitanon

are you in the "i hate arch but its the only thing im comfortable using" camp too user? I like arch in concept, but holy fuck this is one busted ass operating system. I feel like a starving peasant who still thinks communism will save them.

I would always suggest using a system with a stable release option for an office or workplace.
(Debian or Ubuntu is what is used most often at my office.) The distro you use at home for a personal computer can be anything you want though. Don't ever sacrifice your work hours for useless system tweaking. Feel free to do so at home though.

Based, I wish he was my dad

I use arch at home and ubuntu at work. Arch is nice if you want to get some weird piece of software to work thanks to AUR. That and you can almost always manage to get it to work again even from a rather broken state.
Still, it's more pain than it's worth. If I had to set up a new pc I'd probably just go with ubuntu.

I don't like Ubuntu, and I think Arch is enjoyable, but have you tried not being retarded?

> recommend Ubuntu to people because it just works
> it just works so no IT requests come in

> recommend arch to people
> brainlets spam you with IT requests

Your dad is smarter than you think

Because Ubuntu, Fedora and Debian are distros that work
Once you make computers your career and not a some autistic WM ricers hobby you get pretty sick of fucking around with your OS for internet street cred
You'll understand one day, or you'll just keep working your McJob and ricing Arch Linux asking your self why you are the smartest person ever and how everyone else could be so stupid.

>Ubuntu
well he is clueless for sure
just use mint - "it just works" like ubuntu, but with a gui that's not retarded on a desktop
I work as devops

A

>Arch is a meme.
It's no more a meme than any other distro. Linux is Linux. You simply have a little more freedom with Arch. Ubuntu is great as well, it's extremely convenient and quick to install.

Yeah, it's pretty hard to beat Ubuntu server. It's pretty much rock solid and has all the documentation anyone could ever ask for.

he is right you shitter

Does anyone on Jow Forums have an anime avatar at work?

I only know one woman in her 40s who has a Bleach avatar on her outlook profile.

Both of those are garbage. Kubuntu is best. Pretty up to date and stable. Using arch linux for anything is a mistake. Just wait until it destroys itself, if it hasn't for you, you haven't been using linux long enough to tell other people it is good.

Arch is a toy. Ubuntu gets shit done. You can of course have both by running a Ubuntu host with an Arch guest for l33tness. If you don't understand VM basics you need to learn that before fucking about distro hopping.

Spoonfeeding breeds pussification. I and most other Linux users are self-taught via relentless study. If you won't put in the work get the fuck back to Windows.

You should be able to use any distro comfortably. If you become overfond of one that's weakness.

“You should not have any special fondness for a particular weapon, or anything else, for that matter. Too much is the same as not enough. Without imitating anyone else, you should have as much weaponry as suits you.”

― Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

>Won't even help me install arch linux

Attached: 1541381905311.jpg (250x242, 10K)

Not disagreeing with you, but maintaining distros like Arch or Gentoo DOES teach you gumption, though.
For instance if you ever have a job in embedded linux where you have to set up some weird custom SOC kernel builds, then dealing with shit like this turns out to be quite useful.

>I just want to develop Python on non-microshit software and I can't even get passed the network configs on Arch Linux
We need more developers like this who can't pass ifconfig and dhclient

Based

>Linux users are self-taught via relentless study.
That is a funny way of saying "I cut and paste shit from internet and pray it works"

eventually you learn to read the man pages, so he is not wrong.

We are talking about linux not *BSD where things are documented at man not at random discussion forums

Underrated comment

Go read the instructions you retard.

He's unironically right

Aren't you a little young to have Parkinson's disease?

You're dad sounds pretty based and redpilled to me OP, maybe you've taken too much of Jow Forums's autism pills?

>He won't even help me install arch linux.
RTFM faggot

THIS

>Haskell

holy shit my sides

Attached: 1543353007030.jpg (511x512, 49K)

My dad only uses Kali livecd.

Arch user here. I use Kubuntu when I have a situation where I want to try something in Linux but don't want to play around. He's not wrong.

Both of you are retarded, just use Gentoo, unironically.

based boomer

sure thing sweetie

nibbas out here really falling for this shitty bait

>but le tech dad is right!

yeah no fucking shit, this fake ass thread and every single seriousposter who fell for it belongs back on reddit

>wanting to spend your time repairing your OS instead of doing actual work
this is why your dad earns 250k a year and you are a NEET cuck.

he's not clueless, the thing that separates NEETs and those with a 250k/yr income is the fact that NEETs aren't productive. with the exception of the two arch users actually doing something with their lives, it's usually better to use ubuntu (preferably a spinoff or similar) and get an installation going as fast as possible, as opposed to configuring arch to do the exact same thing. when you're actually doing this shit for a living and workin on the clock the time it takes to get a basic installation setup is way more valuable than the advantages/disadvantages of the distro itself. hell if you absolutely *need* arch just use antergos or something, it'd still beat it by far w/ its installer alone

but of course if it's just your pc and you have the time to get everything configured just the way you like then by all means do it, it doesn't hurt but after you've been using linux a few years you eventually quit giving a shit and do whatever works

Attached: based.jpg (333x500, 84K)

Your dad sounds like a smart man that actually gets work done. Shame he has to put up with a toddler that autistically tweaks outdated window managers all day.