So, what's the general view of proprietary software on here?

So, what's the general view of proprietary software on here?

Attached: at-the-first-hackers-conference-in-1984-richard-stallman-discusses-video-id146484701[1].jpg (480x360, 16K)

The general view on Jow Forums is that proprietary software is useful, but because we're NEET faggots we can't afford it so we use "free" software that is objectively worse.

What are the advantages of proprietary software?

Free as in freedom, not free as in free beer.

Free as much as practically possible, proprietary when it isn't. I work at a company where 80% of our software stack is free as in freedom (some of our libraries are actually LGPL, otherwise we use a company variant of MPL), but our mission critical IP is proprietary (because it interacts directly with hardware we also make).

All proprietary software is malware

Jow Forums is composed of:
those who believe in free[dom] in software,
those who believe in free (beer) in software,
obviously there is a lot of overlap, but you'll find some who don't give a shit about FLOSS, and just want to not pay for stuff; piracy suits them perfectly well. Then you'll find others that will happily shell out money on seemingly overpriced things like libreboot /aptops and Talos IIs.
Most of us care about both, or are broke enough so that the money is more of a factor anyway.

Attached: someday.png (1182x862, 1017K)

It's all a botnet.

Proprietary is fine. Closed source is not.

Attached: 8f0.jpg (181x203, 13K)

this

>as well as

What is the difference? How are they not the same thing?

>so we use "free" software that is objectively worse.
Yeah, because no one uses VLC, Blender, Krita, any number of server distros, KeePass, Bitwarden and similar software.

Free software literally means "free as in freedom", and when someone says it, that is what they mean. Learn yourself.

Basically and . I try to get free software on as much of my software stack as humanly possible, and where impossible, I go with as close to "reputable" as proprietary software can be. Also I enjoy video games, so there's some degree of inevitability with regards to WINE and the things I run in it. Were it not for video games, I'd probably be within spitting distance of being a tried-and-true stallmanite. Were money not an issue, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

If you are distributing software and the source code is publicly available (Open Source)
If you distribute software, but no source code is available (Closed Source)
If you develop your software, but never release it (Proprietary)

At least I think this is what means, since that's the stance of FSF. Users have a right to the source code, and to modify it. If you're not a user of the program, you don't have a right to the source.

>Were money not an issue, I'd be there in a heartbeat.
Hear, hear!

Attached: freebsd.jpg (750x537, 77K)

/thread

If people just "can't afford it" they pirate. Nice try.

Demonstrably shit

This is really close, we don't have legitimate jobs that require the best tools and we can't afford those tools anyway. The pricing on a lot of them is fucking insane so people pirate as a result. We all want freedom but we also crave convenience.
Industry standard tools (almost always proprietary) tend to have better support than FOSS, but aren't immune to retarded human decisions/mistakes like all software.

Am I missing anything?

id subscribe to Maya but that shit is 198 s month. About twice as much as my internet bill

proprietary software is made by hundreds of skilled professionals on a reasonably high budget
and has all the bells and whistles that the average consumer wants.
However, if you could put a magnifying glass to the source code of almost all popular mass used proprietary software then you'd probably find out that the software is botnet and collecting truckloads of data on you and perhaps sending to all to nsa.gov.fbi.kgb.com

>we don't have legitimate jobs that require the best tools and we can't afford those tools anyway
speak for yourself
>Industry standard tools (almost always proprietary)
this is an oxymoron, something that is proprietary cannot possibly be industry standard, the whole point of something being an industry standard is that it isn't owned by one company

>outsourced pajeets getting paid $5 an hour = hundreds of skilled professionals
no

>implying

Attached: 1542421126486.png (382x362, 107K)

The majority of users on Jow Forums are fucking NEET or students, admit it.
>this is an oxymoron, something that is proprietary cannot possibly be industry standard, the whole point of something being an industry standard is that it isn't owned by one company
From Wikipedia:
Proprietary software also known as "Closed Source Software" is non-free computer software for which the software's publisher or another person retains intellectual property rights—usually copyright of the source code,[1] but sometimes patent rights.

This is the definition most people agree on and use, so just use it. In this case "industry standard" just refers to a tool's ubiquity in the industry.