What do you use to write LaTeX docs? Tired of using online editors

What do you use to write LaTeX docs? Tired of using online editors.

Attached: BA73358F-1FF4-4E6D-B25F-4F2B0DF3BAC4.png (1436x806, 367K)

Other urls found in this thread:

htmlpreview.github.io/?https://github.com/richard-jansson/roosevelt/blob/master/index.html
github.com/richard-jansson/roosevelt
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I just use texstudio, another popular one is texmaker I think
That's the quick and dirty solution, ideally you'd set up your favourite normal editor to work with it but I just haven't bothered yet

vim

dump latex and unironically use groff
you wont be able to go back

emacs

Lyx

VS Code with LaTeX Workshop extension

spbp

I used to use TeXMaker before switching to vim+vimtex. Either one works fine.

Using groff_ms + eqn is super confy and simpler.
The downside is not be able to manage images easily tho, but for now I don't need that

Right now I'm learning Latex with TeXMaker

this

I don't write much LaTeX (directly) anymore, but I'd use something like this, vim and maybe mupdf for a preview if necessary.

Attached: ICN-S1KDTOOLS-A-000000-A-KHZAE-00002-A-001-01.png (1920x1061, 200K)

Lyx is such dogshit.

VS Code with LaTeX extension for personal assignments or overleaf for research papers.

I second Texstudio, it's incredibly comfy
It's also available for Linux and Windows

Attached: 1543830389728.jpg (409x409, 48K)

VScode or sublime, both are pretty good.

>forked from texmaker
soooo how is it differnet from texmaker?

Don't be retarded, groff is not that great when compared to LaTeX, awful math rendering and lacking of a significant amount of features.

It has the better syntax, but creates worse documents.

IIRC they went and made the UI a lot better. Also wasn't it forked like a decade ago and diverged significantly since then?

How hard would it be to improve groff into having close to feature parity with latex, without all of the tex bloat?

I use vim without any plugins rn.
What would a latex plugin offer?
You don't need to see function headers or anything like that

I would say it is extremely hard, so much work has been put into LaTeX that it is practically irreplaceable, despite what a mess it is.

Just imagine that someone seriously Tikz, which by itself is enormous.

go watch luke smith's vim latex videos op any other answer is wrong

Mostly just use it for auto compilation and pdf reader support so I can immediately preview the file after every save.

It also has some nice completion stuff, syntax highlighting, and more mappings for navigating the file.

How do I tell Latex to avoid shitty line breaks?

I'm talking about this
Bla bla bla bla bla. Bla
bla bla bla bla.
The 2nd sentence should just be started on the 2nd line instead of having a single word in the 1st line.

What's wrong with a line break like that? Either way, you just put "\\" wherever you want a line break.

Yeah but sometimes it gives "badness" warnings and googling it found posts saying that I should not manually do linebreaks.

Just use word you mong

Attached: 059-09161_356x300_1.jpg (356x300, 35K)

There's nothing inherently wrong with line breaks if they are semantically useful, i.e. when you have to further break up a paragraph to separate thoughts.
However, in most cases you probably do want to start a new paragraph for that.

Well yeah, because the whole idea with LaTeX is you let it handle the formatting and just worry about content. There's nothing wrong with a line-break like that. Word will do the same thing, so I'm not sure why you're expecting different behavior.

Having said that, if that's what you really want, just ignore the warnings.

The only correct answer. I've seen lots of latex documents, they look lovely, but so full of needless whitespace and lacking the actual information that was required.

Latex is for posers, word is for people who get shit done.

Word is for simpler documents that are just text without any references. Large documents with lots of references are much easier to handle in LaTeX. For math typesetting, Word is totally shit unless you need something super simple like one equation.

Just use markdown with your favorite text editor, and compile it to LaTeX/pdf with pandoc.

Pandoc is seriously magical. You can use inline LaTeX, HTML, graphviz etc. in your markdown, and pandoc will magically export it to PDF, TeX, HTML, docx, and every other document format that has ever existed.

Oh, and as for the needless white-space, you could easily change that by just adjusting margins. I was curious why LaTeX has such large margins by default, and it's for readability. Wider text = more left to right scanning = more tiring to read. There's a reason most books are the size they are, and why large books usually break things up into columns. Regardless, you can make LaTeX dense with very simple adjustment.

The correct answer

> , awful math rendering
What the hell are talking about?

> lacking of a significant amount of features.
Such as?

I'm pretty sure you never actually tried groff

Attached: 4chin.png (1361x960, 119K)

Now do a 4-line matrix equation where everything is lined up at the equals sign, and the 2nd line has an equation number (not hardcoded, so you can actually reference it later).

Not guy you're replying to, and never used groff, so I'm not saying it's not possible. Just that your example isn't great, since even Word can do that.

Gedit + latex add-on or TeXmaker
Honestly it's just text editing to make a text document. Just use whatever environment you like.

>What the hell are talking about?
Exactly what I am seeing right there.
Now write the square root of a fraction of two sums and see how that looks, LaTeX makes it looks acceptable, groff doesn't.
Or do some matrix stuff, involving integrals inside of matrices...
Eqn is not visible for serious mathematics...

>Such as?
The billion packages Matlab has. Make a two sided squiggly arrow, with sup and sub script, or any of the trillion of symbols which are available in LaTeX, but which you will probably have to design yourself for groff and then use it as a custom font...

>I'm pretty sure you never actually tried groff
Long enough to see that it is unusable for my use case.

None of what you wrote is true, I assume you are confusing word with wordpad.

> Now write the square root of a fraction of two sums and see how that looks,

like this? it works for me

Attached: Schermata del 2018-12-03 20-52-05.png (1114x788, 28K)

>like this?
No, with a sum symbol, seriously do something non trivial...

Not him, but you first. The same thing you want him to do, for comparison. Should be easy since you're so knowledgeable.

>ctrl-f
>no Gummi

I knew Jow Forums was full of brainlets, but this is ridiculous...

Attached: gummi.png (1153x755, 170K)

If you're just taking notes for class, I highly recommend the markdown editor typora

oh and yeah it does support math (mathjax I believe), which is almost no different from latex syntax-speaking

That's your integral in a vector and summation.

Aren't you tired of being told? You never used groff+eqn, stop embarassing yourself

Attached: 4chin3.png (1526x702, 69K)

Seems fair, make him do something like this.

LaTeX puts a lot of effort into making these more complex things readable.

Attached: LaTeX.png (637x235, 14K)

Can you not see your sum?

How the fuck do you think this looks acceptable in any way?

Just see what LaTeX does with something like that

> How the fuck do you think this looks acceptable in any way?

I'm sorry, I didn't understand you were in art school, faggot

I still haven't seen anything that can't be done in word easily, oh well.

Okay, continue trying to sell me a typesetting system which produces, by your own admitting, awful documents...

By the way YOU told me groff didn't have awful math rendering, never did you argue that groff having horrible math rendering was irrelevant to you.

Seriously, even from a purely practical standpoint LaTeX is better, it wastes less space, is easier to read and doesn't make you want to stab your eyes.

If you're only interested in the mathematical part, you might be interested in a project I'm working on.

Memorizing all the command is hell, so this is sort of half shortcodes half selecting from menus.

Try it out for 5 minutes or so and you'll find that you start to remember the keys.

htmlpreview.github.io/?https://github.com/richard-jansson/roosevelt/blob/master/index.html

github.com/richard-jansson/roosevelt

>I still haven't seen anything that can't be done in word easily
And I haven't seen anything that can't be created on a stone tablet.

Just because something is *able* to do something doesn't mean it isn't retarded to use it.

> Awful means not pretty
Again, I'm sure as a stem student you are worth a lot.

> Waste less space
Compare latex installation with groff and compile times please

> It's easier to read
It depends if you mean at "code" side. In Wich case you're wrong.
From documents pov it produce on par documents if wordy and as you have seen good documents with lot of formulas

Meant for

learn org-mode

Attached: 1540754935618.jpg (960x720, 70K)

>Again, I'm sure as a stem student you are worth a lot.
???
Sorry that I have to use actually usable tools for the things I need to accomplish.

>Compare latex installation with groff and compile times please
I want good looking documents, that's the point, groff delivers a worse output.
You know what , plain text has even faster compile times and wastes less disk space. GROFF BTFO.

>It depends if you mean at "code" side.
No, of course I don't. I want a DOCUMENT that is the point.
I also told you at the beginning of all of this that LaTeX has an awful syntax.

>From documents pov it produce on par documents if wordy and as you have seen good documents with lot of formulas
I think you already admitted, and we both saw, that groff has horrible math rendering...

Same person.

> Sorry that I have to use actually usable tools for the things I need to accomplish.
This doesn't mean anything. Groff is easier than latex so I don't know what you mean by "useable"

> I want good looking documents, that's the point, groff delivers a worse output.
I Know you want good looking documents, that why I suggest you taking some painting course or a sculpture one.
"Oh no that sqrt line it's too big! It's unreadable!"

> You know what , plain text has even faster compile times and wastes less disk space. GROFF BTFO
Too bad it doesn't output PDF/PS and math, you mongoloid

> I think you already admitted, and we both saw, that groff has horrible math rendering...
Nope. The math in eqn( not groff, but I know you never actually used it) is more than readable. By "horrible" or "awful" I except "not readable/understandable". But I know you are in first semester and you want to look professional and think you are a big shot because your paper looks "good"

Just gonna drop this here just in case.

Okay, you can stop trying to sell me a document preparation tool, which produces, as you say yourself, bad looking documents.

Thanks for the conversation, but I think I'll pass on that garbage, but at least you agree with my points so that's something.

I don't care what you use, think, or do. You must have confused me with someone else, I don't sell anything to anyone you can continue being a faggot, that's not my job stopping you

I use TeXstudio, but I'm kinda tired of having a dedicated editor just for LaTeX.
I was somewhat playing with the idea of writing a plugin for IntelliJ - so you would have all of the niceties of IntelliJ, like VCS, directly in your editor.

If I made something like that, would anyone actually be interested or would it be a super niche project for a handful of autists?

>I don't care what you use, think, or do.
You seemed awfully outraged when I mentioned groffs horrible math rendering, at least we know both agree how awful it is.

But I guess it's just a difference in opinion, I like documents which look good and you don't.

I still haven't seen anything that can't be done in latex easily, oh well.

I think my analytic geometry teacher uses kyle, but I just use vim lol

this.
vim + latexmk is the only way

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 4.24.19 PM.png (2560x1600, 1.04M)

>that kerning on Math
>that math typesetting
I'm going to have to ask you to reimburse me for all the vomit on my monitor

>But I know you are in first semester and you want to look professional and think you are a big shot because your paper looks "good"
all of your posts reek of undergrad trash. every working mathematician in the industry uses LaTeX, except for a few 100+ year old mummies that still use Microsoft Word or even hand-typeset documents

all of your arguments are terrible, and groff outputs horribly type-set documents
whenever you want to go ahead and post a matrix system equation aligned at the equal sign in groff, go ahead. here's what it looks like in LaTeX

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 4.34.19 PM.png (2560x1600, 478K)

vim

I just search for the symbols in google and copy paste them in notepad

Attached: d2067592 (1).jpg (600x376, 65K)

Simple example I dug up from old uni homework. Code below

\begin{align}
\nonumber
F &= \begin{bmatrix}
{\beta S} & {\beta S} \\
{(1-\alpha)\beta V} & {(1-\alpha)\beta V}
\end{bmatrix} \\[5pt]
V &= \begin{bmatrix}
{\gamma + \mu} & {-m} \\
{0} & {\gamma_v + m + \mu}
\end{bmatrix} \\[5pt] \nonumber
V^{-1} &= \frac{1}{(\gamma + \mu)(\gamma_v + m + \mu)}
\begin{bmatrix}
{\gamma_v + m + \mu} & {m} \\
{0} & {\gamma + \mu}
FV^{-1} &= \begin{bmatrix}
{\beta S} & {\beta S} \\
{(1-\alpha)\beta V} & {(1-\alpha)\beta V}
\end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix}
{\frac{1}{\gamma + \mu}}
& {\frac{m}{(\gamma + \mu)(\gamma_v + m + \mu)}} \\[5pt]
{0} & {\frac{1}{\gamma_v + m + \mu}}
&= \begin{bmatrix}
{\frac{\beta S}{\gamma + \mu}}
& {\frac{\beta S m}{(\gamma + \mu)(\gamma_v + m + \mu)}
+ \frac{\beta S}{\gamma_v + m + \mu}}\\[8pt]
{\frac{(1-\alpha)\beta V}{\gamma + \mu}}
& {\frac{(1-\alpha)\beta V m}{(\gamma + \mu)(\gamma_v + m + \mu)}
+ \frac{(1-\alpha)\beta V}{\gamma_v + m + \mu}}
\end{bmatrix}. \\[5pt] \nonumber
\end{align}

Attached: tex.png (1180x613, 55K)

vim and a terminal for compiling, but emacs is a good choice too

macOS

Attached: nice.png (210x240, 49K)

>UNCLASSIFIED
Do you work for the CIA user?

What's the best LaTeX template (style) for org-mode?

The large amount of bullet-points I work makes styling rather difficult.

Emacs. Just use whatever text editor you feel comfortable with and then compile the file.

Just came back. I did some of it but I didn't bother go all the way through, I think it's enough to give and idea

.EQ C
FV sup {~-1} ~~mark =~~ left [
matrix {
ccol { beta S above {(1 - alpha ) beta V} }
ccol { beta S above {(1- alpha ) beta V} }
}
right ]
~~
left [
matrix {
ccol { 1 over { gamma + mu } above 0}
ccol { m over { ( gamma + mu ) ( gamma sub v + m + mu ) } above {1 over { gamma sub v + m + mu } } }
}
right ]
.EN

.sp 0.25m

.EQ C
lineup =~~
left [
matrix {
ccol { {{ beta S } over { gamma + mu } }
above {
{(1 - alpha ) beta V } over { gamma + mu }
}
}

} right ]

.EN

Attached: 4chink4.png (1084x549, 15K)

God damn i fucking love LaTeX.

>do a 4-line matrix equation where everything is lined up at the equals sign,

There's nothing complex about this.
You just need to do in the first line mark = and then begin the next equations with lineup

in general you can align respect to any symbol you mark and then with lineup you align with the symbol of the previous mark

Word and latex serve different goals. Like a hammer and a screwdriver dude. One is for typesetting and publishing, the other is for simply writing.

I don't know why it compiled without the vertical space modification

Attached: 4chink.png (1009x451, 14K)

looks like shit though
get some nice, big matrices and start aligning all of them and you'll see what i mean

what happens if you want to align multiple columns?
what happens if you want to align one column using different symbols?

you quoted the latex one too

You align them manually but now you just sound ridiculous

Vim as others have already mentioned. You can add a latexmk keybindings to build the pdf at the push of a button. With other text-editors and their latex packages the build command would try building the file I was currently editing which would often be a file I was importing into the main file so I made a 2 or 3 line shell script that has it run the file named $PWD.tex and a second mkdoc script that creates a directory named by the argument given to it and a tex file named the same. Now it always builds the main file (so long as I’ve cd’d into the directory). Then I’ve got another script for showing only the error messages from the log. Then the output from the build script goes into /dev/null and only the errors are sent to the console.

And you can add a dictionary to vim completion function so I have added a text file with a few helper macros for inputing floats (so I don’t have to type in the same redundant information every time I want to add a figure or table, just the one line) as well as a handful of builtins that I use often. In my opinion thats much more useful than have a completion functions with the full list of latex functions.

A little more effort and you can get argument completion for different macros. Like a list of all labels for \ref or a list of files in the figures subdir for my \inputfigures function.

It takes some work but the flexibility of vim makes it pleasent to work with latex once it’s setup.

>my ego can't handle people not agreeing with me
That sounds like a personal issue.
I like equation editor but that's good to know.

>>my ego can't handle people not agreeing with me
>That sounds like a personal issue.
Did you mean to reply to someone else?

No, thinking something is retarded because its not what you would do...
If I heard someone hand chiseled equations in stone, I would wonder why. Probably art, I wouldn't assume they're retarded because they aren't doing it my preferred way.

>No, thinking something is retarded because its not what you would do...
First day on Jow Forums?
Hyperbole isn't that hard to detect you know...

No, but you actually think its a stupid way, is it because they don't know any better (aka you're smarter) or because they are stupid (aka you're smarter)? Why do you need to convince yourself?

A lot of very smart people do pretty dumb things, I think that is obvious.

No, I work in aviation, which is one of the main fields where S1000D is used (the XML schema pictured), like LaTeX is to maths/sciences/academia. But the document shown is part of a hobby project, not work-related.

The "unclassified" is just part of the default stylesheet. I just usually don't bother enabling the "don't show the classification if the document is unclassified" option for a quick preview.

Does groff output really look that bad? So it's completely useless outside of toy examples right?