Friend, who hasn't ever used Linux, wants to switch to it. I recommended Ubuntu since he's new...

Friend, who hasn't ever used Linux, wants to switch to it. I recommended Ubuntu since he's new, but he's insistent on something harder(Just wants to be special). He also has a history of getting extremely frustrated when his computer doesn't do the thing he wants(another reason I recommended ubuntu)

Should I do it Jow Forums? Should I tell him to install gentoo?

Attached: gentoo.png (512x512, 104K)

Let him try to install Arch or Gentoo. When he realizes it's too difficult for him, tell him to use Debian.

Ubuntu minimal iso, it'll look harder but in the end it's still ubuntu.

Arch isn't even that hard though, you just follow the instructions. At least with gentoo you have to wait for it to compile everything

Debian or Slackware

no

I'm telling him gentoo

dont try to stop me

If his hardware isn't the kind that gets Debian to autistically complain, even with the nonfree iso, then Debian is a good distribution for someone new to Gahnoo/Linux. Otherwise, Mint kr Ubuntu.

Unironically Void, using one of the ISOs with a DE. Installer is pretty straightforward, functionality is good, but he still gets to feel leet.

I AM TELLING HIM GENTOO STOP IT

Attached: angry_pepe.jpg (900x900, 40K)

This. "Arch is hard to install" is a meme, the install documentation is super clean and easy to follow
Arch might unironically be a good "spesh" distro for your beginner friend

Attached: BouguereauWA_VirginWithAngels.jpg (1627x2572, 552K)

Manjaro, one of the few Linux distros that doesn't look like dog shit by default.

Linux from scratch better.

DEfags are so retarded

gentoo isn't hard either, it also has very detailed instructions
gentoo's installation can just be more tedious, since as a beginner, you will pretty likely have to add USE flags and recompile some things a few times before you figure out what you need, besides that it just takes longer, because you're compiling things

>installing a distro for it's default theme
i would expect nothing else from a manjaro user

tell him to get xubuntu and install i3

You could tell him to install Gentoo, but make sure he reads the installation guide so he doesn't fuck up and then screech later about how nothing works.
Alternatively, you could tell him to run Arch or Slackware for the learning curve which will both work out in the end.
Void is a good little distro and he has the added benefit of compiling from source due to how little mainstream support there is for it.
Worse comes to worse, give him Debian or Ubuntu.
If he still insists on being special, give him LFS and check on him in a week.

Tell him to use Manjaro. A brainlet could use it, but he can feel special cuz "Muh arggg linuggs"

Nevermind I figured it out

Tell him to try a simple install like gentoo or arch to start with, and work his way up to the hard ones like linux mint or ubuntu.
>reverse physchology

It doesn't matter which version of linux you use
as far as difficulty to install.
I'd recommend anything from 4.04 to 4.18 for a good compromise between new features and stability.

Stop recommending fucking Debian for newcomers.
They will download the default libre iso, inevitably encounter a thousand driver problems on their proprietary hardware, and be like "Wow this Linux shit sucks."
In short, OP, you should recommend Debian.

I think i'd try to challenge his view a bit. He'll learn sooner or later, but explaining to him that the most appropriate Linux flavour and configuration isn't necessarily the most difficult one to install might get him there faster.

Based

The big reason why people should start with Ubuntu is to learn what the end result can look like. After that they can use Gentoo, they already know what to look for next. Starting with Gentoo means you'll have to figure everything out yourself. It may suit for some people but come on, Ubuntu takes like 5 minutes to install and it won't cost you anything. Why do you have to skip this step? Nobody is forcing you to keep it forever.

Tell friend the best way is self-taught and if he has a problem use the internet (except here).
Sink or swim is best way.

He won't even be able to use a live cd that doesn't come with a gui
The Arch documentation fucking sucks, it's impossible for someone who can barely handle windows and who has no patience

Attached: arch too easy to install.png (3300x6993, 1.54M)

install slackware