/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% --help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1527730847545.png (1920x1080, 373K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=g_Z9N_BjFDQ
contributors.debian.org/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dependency_hell
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Debian Stable + Xfce is maximum comfy.

What is "xfce"? Never heard of it

I like Xfce but i dislike the status bar and would prefer using a more minimal one although i have no idea how to do that.

Why does both gtk and qt feel so bloated and awful? every theme i try using for both gtk and qt looks so awful.
Why do terminal apps feel so much better to use over them?

>not using Devuan
>taking the SystemDick

Attached: satania_laugh.gif (540x304, 1.6M)

how do I use terminal apps?
i tried to use rtorrent but I didn't get how to do anything

for me, it's Slackware 14.2 + Xfce

it's cool that people are shilling Devuan now though you can still install Debian without sysd

LXDE is even more comfy, minimalist, nice, and just always easy to use, plus it doesn't drag your memory through the shitter, without firefox when it's fully booted it only uses 1 GB. See?

Attached: oooooo.jpg (1920x1080, 348K)

read the manual, for a *curses program like rtorrent, you will want to look at the keybinds

Debian will still pull in systemd as a dependency for certain things

>not using alpine
>taking the gnu dick

Attached: tenor.gif (498x280, 2.39M)

I actually see LXDE with good eyes but they are doing a big transition to qt and this makes me uneasy.

>shilling a router distro as a desktop os.
>irrational dislike of GNU.
>annoying shithead

>all "desktop" "os"'s started as router os's
>gnu is anti competitive and anti consumer. gcc is full of hard coded kernel plugins that force you to use gcc. Meaning gcc is not portable. gcc produces bloated slow binaries compared to llvm/clang+musl c on equal optimization levels and flags.
>im a gnu shill so i wont listen to any critique of precious gnu

I have a problem with my autistic install of debian
It has several problems but now the biggest is I can't play audio
I have phones connected to my headphone jack but it does not play any sound
Will need a couple minutes to send lspci and aplay -l outputs but any ideas on how to fix? It happened today, I turned the pc on but with the headphones not plugged in and since then I can't hear anything, have restarted it a couple of times now.

who else /lesbian/ (male) here?
>2779 packages
virgins not alloud to reply

Attached: 2018-12-04-175718_571x286_scrot.png (571x286, 38K)

Comfier than this?

Attached: desktop2.jpg (1920x1080, 183K)

Hard to install minimal Xorg and XFCE on debian stable. The dependencies are bloat. Try to install Xorg with the vesa driver and you get intel, nvidia, radeon, amdgpu and a load of wayland shit thrown in for good measure. xfdesktop4 and xfwm4 demands a whole load of crap too.

Wtf, sound works now, thanks Jow Forums, guess I just needed to restart my pc 15 times to get it to work

>discord

>debian is "lightweight"
>every *netch post has near 3000 packages

Yeah.

>dickscord

Debian is lightweight, however it's easy to get bogged down with packages, i'll do a blank, guiless netinst install and CC you with the packages if you want.

youtube.com/watch?v=g_Z9N_BjFDQ

>it isn't lightweight cuz muh packages

>thinks bare metal means anything
If you need 3000+ packages for a common desktop install, you are not lightweight, you're bloated to fuck

Fuck off archnigger. Package count doesn't mean anything.

>package count
>meaning anything
>especially when the same software is 1 package on gentoo and split into 30 packages in debian
Need directions to the gas chamber or you can get there by yourself?

Can anyone recommend a distro to run on an i686 Dell Inspiron 1300?

>The absolute unstable mental status of debain users

I'm glad Jow Forums is learning to think for themselves instead of making their lives arbitrarily difficult for internet points.

If it has pae: any distro which still has 32bit port
If it doesn't: debian, it still has non-pae kernel available to install

Debian splits things into many packages. There is a man page package, a source package, a lib package, a data package, a common package etc, etc. It's actually less bloated that way because you can pick which parts of the software to use.

Reposting the problem. Whenever I middle or right click, the menu/scroll ref point spawns far off from my mouse click.

Attached: 1543907394843.webm (1280x720, 715K)

It defaults to the middle of the screen...

This is what I tried:
Xorg: apt-get install xinit xserver-xorg-core x11-xserver-utils xerver-xorg-video-vesa xserver-xorg-input-evdev
XFCE: apt-get install xfwm4 xfdesktop4 xfce4-panel xfce-settings xfce-session xfce4-terminal thunar leafpad
>inb4 reddit spacing
Unfortunately the bloat is real.

PAE is supported and I'm on MX Linux now so I guess I'll continue with it then. Thanks.

What the hell happened to stallman? He used to look presentable years ago back in the 1970s.

Attached: 1542960996937.jpg (1024x1372, 197K)

Someone locked him out of the printer, and something inside of him snapped that day.

autism, and being surrounded by yes-men who revere him as a god and would never dare to question him

>having a brain so small you can't comprehend why a number doesn't mean anything
check your disk usage retard. A Debian system with more packages has less disk usage than a meme arch system. Fucking retard. Is literally more for less the price

>Is literally more for less the price
If you have to install 6000 packages to get the same amount of software that you get with 1000 packages in gentoo or arch, you arent getting anything but more bloat and dep issues.
OOPS I FOR GOT TO INSTALL PACKAGE-A PACKAGE-B PACKAGE-C PACKAGE-D PACKAGE-E PACKAGE-F PACKAGE-G PACKAGE-H BECAUSE MY "OS" "SEPARATES" THEM FOR "MY OWN GOOD"

based af.
fuck gnu tards

Someone installed debian minimal and arch side by side in a vm and debian had more packages than arch but arch took up more disk space

>b-but is hard so is bloated waah
The absolute state of archtoddlers.
All dependencies are managed automatically by the way

Funny how i see APT UNINSTALLED 50 GIGABYTES OF PACKAGES AUTOMATICALLY AFTER I UPDATED being posted the last few threads as well as
APT WANTS TO REMOVE ALL THESE SYSTEM PACKAGES AND WHEN I REBOOTED I GOT A BLANK SCREEN
Or the classic
APT CANNOT INSTALL SYSTEM-PACKAGE BECAUSE SYSTEMDEP SYSTEMDEP SYSTEMDEP SYSTEMDEP SYSTEMDEP SYSTEMDEP SYSTEMDEP SYSTEMDEP SYSTEMDEP SYSTEMDEP

Check the archives :^)

a u t i s m

is not made for niggers like you who could have guessed

I dont have a problem,portage and pacman dont fuck up deps :^)

>package managers for niggers
Again, Debian is for white intelligent men, not subhumans.

shouldn't intelligent white men have better things to do than worry about dependencies

>debian is for whites
Look at all those mexican,indian and arab contributors :)
contributors.debian.org/

>Unfortunately the bloat is real.
Your autism is also real, get professional help of hang yourself, both works as long as you stop posting.

exactly, that's why we use stable systems like CentOS and Debian Stable instead of dealing with compiling packages, fixing untested packages from retarded arch devs, or wasting time compiling a whole system from source which needs at least the double of space at a time.

Attached: LinuxUsage.png (766x942, 82K)

>fixing untested packages from retarded arch devs
Arch packages are directly from upstream with no patches/edits made to them. They land in the "testing" repo so that the package can be tested with the rest o the system for potential errors.
So at this point, the orginaly developer has already gone through a test cycle and has published a version. It is then tested by arch users for potential issues. It is then pushed to the main repo's after there has been no issues with it.
Any "fixing" would be done by the originally developer and then pushed to their own repo. Arch dosent touch packages, 99.99% of package are directly from upstream
It seems you dont understand basic package management in distros :)

good answer
bad answer

>open gimp
>want to take screenshot of gimp
>bind control+printscn to scrot
>use control+printscn while in gimp
>no screenshots taken
>use same keybind not using imp
>screenshot is taken
Why?
>I dont need to take a screenshot of the work(solved with an export) i need to take screenshots of menu configs and options

Attached: 1481834088467.jpg (383x400, 29K)

>proven wrong
>posts meme

Attached: 2sKuM.png (1366x534, 122K)

I do not have this problem. Package count is not synonym with bloat.

Searhing on my 3 favorite engines for "debian dependency hell" proves otherwise
I also do not have this problem with portage nor pacman.

How does searching for "debian dependency hell" proves that I have this problem?
If I find results for "pacman broke xorg" does that mean you have this problem?
Are you dumb?

xorg is speculative to what the user has configured.
apt flat out refusing to install packages because the package is missing but it is actually installed while also refusing other packages and removing 50gb of packages on an update and bricking the machine...

Pacman does not control the configuration of Xorg at all.
Apt directly controls all packages installed and removed on the system.
The fault isnt pacman , its hte users config.
The fault is apt, it isnt handeling d dependencies properly, which is is supposed to do

As I said, I do not have this problem.

The World Wide Web proves other wise.

>uses aptitude
>complains dependency solution is shit
wew

>use libreoffice writer on kde plasma
>click on the clock to look at the calendar
>go back to writer
>scroll wheel stops working
>have to minimize then maximize window for it work again

So the fact that you found other people with this problem means I have it?
If I find results for "pacman broke xorg" does that mean you have this problem?

Please answer both this question with a yes or no instead of dodging them like the last time.

Such as? I sure haven't had a problem avoiding systemdick on my Debian systems.

because they are

>gcc is full of hard coded kernel plugins that force you to use gcc
wat.

lxqt is good except that pcmanfm-qt doesnt have dual pane so fuck it, dumb fucking retards

stop feeding the retard as you can see here he's using aptitude on purpose which shows you how dependencies are solved
that is not even a problem with aptitude, aptitude is just showing you which way do you want to manage it. apt and apt-get just work without giving you any warning and is what everyone uses instead of one baby CLI solution.
Arch babies are retarded as fuck because they have no way of doing the same thing different ways

Again, pacman does not deal with configuration files
Apt 100% deals in package management.
You are arguing an issue that does not exist

The problem i am posting (and millions of other people have had) is that apt lacks proper dependency resolution.
Your incessant need to mention pacman and xorg shows you lack basic understanding of how manage managers work.

We are comparing package managers, not users config files.
You can easily find as many problems with xorg if you substitute pacman with apt or portage

yeah but gentoo doesnt have an installer

Read the image from

u didnt reddit space tho

In conclusion, I do not have this problem and you can't seem to be able to prove otherwise.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dependency_hell
>debian is SPECIFICALLY mentioned

>my personal anecdotal experience surely overrides all other experiences and the direct archive of 18 years of debian problems.

Attached: dephell.png (358x208, 12K)

i barely can remember ever having dependency resolution problems in the 15 years ive been using debian

in fact, i use debian largely because of how good it is at dependency resolution

apt is not aptitude you absolute mongoloid. Apt doesn't deal with dependency resolution either it just gets the packages and calls dpkg, dpkg reads and calls dependencies from the package and apt gets them. Literally every package manager works the same, is the package itself that calls for dependencies. That's why Ubuntu calls more dependencies than Debian even though they use the same package manager, it's all on the package maintainer.
yet you claim to know how "package management works" though you clearly expressed why arch is such an unstable piece of shit; the fact that they use upstream sources means they do little to none patching to their packages and it means they have security and bug issues, the upstream maintainer gives no fucks about security or compatibility issues as long as the function works somehow on its machine.
What a fucking retard nigger monkey you should kill yourself. You are making a favor to your family which is paying for your obese bloat fat ass neet to shitpost such nonsense online thinking you know anything about computers. archbabies btfo

>a personal anecdote of a wikipedia editor and the number of google results containing any of the words "debian", "dependency", and "hell" surely override any actual arguments
I'm not even using Debian but your idiocy is striking

The question is whether I have this problem. I do not care about what your botnet tells you.
So as it stands I still do not have this problem.

Debain also pushes vanilla packages out retard...
Why do you think debain went to systemd?
They were tired of having their in house scripts breaking on every update. Now they use systemd and pushed all the responsibility on to systemd to maintain it.
Literally every distro has done this , minus snowflake distros.

My father has a quite shitty laptop running windows 10. It has 2 gigs of ram and shitty quad core intel processor. He only uses his computer for web browsing, emails and solitaire. I would like to install a distro that's easy to use, low on system resources, is stable and has a windows like user interface.
OC boomer for attention

Attached: boomer cards.jpg (700x500, 367K)

Just tell her that you do not have this problem.

Yes, the freely publicly editable wikipage is libeling debian and we should not believe anything written on it!!!!!
Prove me wrong, go to your debian forums and show me 0 results

Anything with Xfce or LXDE.

You've got no libsystemd0 installed? You' sure?

Debian tried to rape me when i put the usb stick in my computer
It also gave me aids and the clap
You cannot tell me it did not happen because it happened to me!

>claims Debian is shit
>uses aptitude instead of apt
>vanilla packages
>packages that they patched themselves for bugs for several months on testing
>?????

>Yes, the freely publicly editable wikipage is libeling debian and we should not believe anything written on it!!!!!
you just destroyed your own argument you retard
>Prove me wrong, go to your debian forums and show me 0 results
>prove the nonexistence
no

Install Debian stable and customise it so it looks like Windows. You might also compile kernel for it to save memory, I went from 300mb to 150mb on my Debian install.

Are there any advantages to installing a program through the package managing system? For example would it be better to install pycharm from AUL rather than the official website?

>>packages that they patched themselves for bugs for several months on testing
No distro does this. Everything comes from upstream, literally no one manages a custom repo anymore that shit is so 80's

>no
Because you cannot.

Is it possible to force certain application to use pagefile?