Academically it seems like Python/C++ has replaced learning Java/C in universities

Academically it seems like Python/C++ has replaced learning Java/C in universities

Opinions Jow Forums?

Attached: 081618_Python-Cpp.large.jpg (250x250, 10K)

Leafs should be seen, not heard.

In uni you don't go deep enough into software engineering for it to really matter much.

python is a much better starting point than java for learning tbqh

also if you go into low-level you're going to bump into C sooner or later

When Java suffers, I'm happy.

>python is a much better starting point than java for learning tbqh
why? outside of its increasing use, what makes it better to learn at first than java?

Ease of use. Beginner learning is more about abstract concepts than about syntax

Nope. Dynamically typed languages are awful for beginners :^|

we learned all 4

/thread

what said

starting to learn programming with objects(a very high-level concept) is inherently a bad idea

i see your point. while dynamic types can be "so easy" in the beginning it really comes back to bite you when you start confusing types

In uni we started with c++ and had short course on java second year.
And that is correct way. Starting with java/python ruins you. You become code monkey that knows "this text does that". When you start with c/cpp you learn at least bit more about memory and what is under the hood. (Which honestly is not useful since majority of students end up spending their lives on shitty crud webaps... but still c/cpp understanding makes you into programmer)

depends on the university, i suppose. i was taught all the ones you mentioned. my knowledge about them is superficial, though.

I was taught all of them, though other courses only require Python or C

My first language in uni was Scheme. I don't regret it, while I don't use functional languages much, it taught me a lot about recursion and FP concepts are finding their way into imperative languages.

i think java then c++ is a good way to do it.
at least when you know babbie's first oop language you can go into c++ knowing what it's basically doing without having to jump through its fucking hoops to get basic concepts.

My uni has the option of C/C++ or Java. C for the data structure courses then we switch to C++. Python is taught junior year of undergrad.

>C/C++ or Java

What kind of "people" usually go with Java?

I forgot to say, I haven't met a compsci major who has chose Java, I believe they have about a fourth of the class size.

I think a lot of transfer students who came from colleges that teach Java take it so they don't have to restart.

as long as you're not learning all the libraries at once, C is much easier than python. new programmers just see the #1 "hello world" example on stack overflow and get concerned as to why there's so much.

Any real uni will teach you the things that you might encounter in C anyway.
Even if you don't use much C, they will teach you about things like memory, binary, compilers, linkers.
I guess some people think if you learn Python you will be spared all those complicated things, but that's only true if your uni is shit. If you get a real degree, writing C at least on a basic level is only a matter of learning syntax.

C > C++
Java > Python
c++ and python both are cucked languages so it's not a surprise that (((they))) are pushing them

i agree, C is such an easy language to leSegmentation fault.

If not even CS majors learn low level stuff, who will write all the low level code?

Yeam those Hello World examples should just die, they don't tell you anything about the language.

Electrical Engineers.I was doing C/Perl, and one of our Debian servers was 2.6.32 or something. They've routinely had CS majors quit or get fired because they just couldn't do the job of basic stuff.

me

They're supposed to introduce to a few basics of the language, such as appearance and what makes it go and do stuff. Sorry you're an idiot.

the best way to master the high-level stuff is to know how everything below works

I'm teaching lower division courses while pursuing my master's. From what I've seen community and junior colleges are actually doing Python/Java while real colleges are doing Python/C. C++ shows up very rarely, mostly transfers from flyover dumps.