>slow kernel
>latency up the ass
>no ports of linux games
>can't use linux software if there's no port
>old software
>no drivers
whats the point?
why even bother?

Attached: Ahem-OpenBSD.png (270x321, 49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

openbsd.org/faq/ports/ports.html
youtube.com/watch?v=GWQh_DmDLKQ
marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=129296046123471&w=2
discord.gg/D8aG4Q9
xenocara.org/
github.com/Bl4ckB0ne/bspwc
lobste.rs/s/8hsjvh/systemd_is_bad_parsing_should_feel_bad#c_je2jtv
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

nig

Secure and you know what you're getting. Good hobby distro for those interested in home labs and security.

>shitty encryption
The encryption works, so what's shitty about it?
>can't even startx
I hadn't noticed this until someone pointed it out yesterday.
>no wine
good.
>no virtualization at all
It does have virtualization. It's just not as good as other platforms.
>slow kernel
Everyone who uses OpenBSD knows that it prioritizes security over speed. Everyone who prioritizes speed uses a different OS.
>latency up the ass
Please give examples
>no ports of linux games
It has dhewm3 and a bunch of quake ports. Also lots of random games of different genres that I haven't tried.
You can run it in a VM.
>old software
true
>no drivers
It has plenty of drivers. I have 2 dell laptops that it runs on. I only had an issue with a wireless card, and swapping it out with a different model solved the problem.

Attached: OpenBaSeD-hackerman.png (600x500, 547K)

werx on my machine

Attached: 1503960391440.jpg (640x638, 27K)

why pepe hasnt been banned yet? thats a nazi symbol.

why is this post stickied??

Don't respond to dumb trolls.

No wonder it's secure, it doesn't do shit.

Personally, I believe that the alt-right is fighting for truth and justice. May I interest you in some sargon?

Literally. Hyperthreading is disabled for security reasons lol. But, that's it's thing, just like Arch has minimalism OpenBSD has security.

You can enable it manually.

I enabled ur mom bobs manually last night with my penus

>just like Arch has minimalism
Not really; Arch is only meant to make you feel minimalist by making you do everything manually that can be copy-pasted from the wiki. The packages are still pretty bloated by default. For example every library package is bundled with its development files, whereas sane distro repos keep these seperate. It's the ultimate script-kiddie distro. You can arguably be more minimalist installing Ubuntu or Fedora with minimal installs then build a base from there, but people tend to do this less because these are mainstream distros and won't give them that feeling of rebellion that Arch does.

You can say the exact same things about OpenBSD and security.

I've never used open BSD, nor do I really know enough to talk smack about it

We don’t need security, we need super fast system.

>muh gaymen
>playing video games on anything other than winblows

> gaymes
WTF is this Republic of Gay bullshit? Fuck off and saged.

This is a Linus Tech Tips board, fags. We game, we code, and we don't take shit.

>old software
>implying that's bad

Attached: 14years.png (178x431, 27K)

There is no point. Every moment spent on it has been a waste of time which would be better spent working on linux software.

The lack of features is a feature. I personally only use OpenBSD on my servers but it is extremely stable and secure. There are no drastic, unneeded changes that throw you through a loop with every update. It's shitty on purpose.

Linux and the community as a whole has lots of problems. If there was some feature rich Unix distro like Solaris or IRIX that had the support it had 20 years ago still I'd jump to those platforms in a heartbeat.

Linux isn't good. It's just less bad than Windows and OS X while still providing all the software I need. I use Linux because I find it useful and tolerable. I don't use it because I like it. It's shit.

Anyone know where I can get Latex packages for OpenBSD? I'm to dumb to build my own, I just wanna pkg-add

Attached: computercatsad.jpg (284x284, 14K)

Ports
>openbsd.org/faq/ports/ports.html

Package manager:
>Pkg_add pkg_mgr
>Pkg_mgr
>Press "s" to search

God bless you user, I can use OpenBSD for work now

Attached: batemanphone.jpg (480x279, 16K)

Attached: 1502360852573.gif (352x240, 2.66M)

Arch being minimalist is a meme. The real advantage of Arch is the AUR and bleeding-edge updates.

>implying x isnt bad

You had trouble following the install docs hu?

That's ok op. Try again next year, after you've had more practice with computers.

Attached: The Fox and the Grapes.gif (800x627, 404K)

end yourself

youtube.com/watch?v=GWQh_DmDLKQ
you retarded fucking troglodyte

>willingly installing an OS that has backdoors by FBI

>can't tell FBI, CIA and NSA apart

Attached: 2018-12-05-20:30:56-screenshot-cropped.png (530x524, 187K)

>this disproved FUD again
lmao at ur life

marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=129296046123471&w=2
sad

ok never mind i'm installing wayland

sorry for being rude before
if you use i3, sway offers a more or less drop-in wayland replacement for it, highly recommend

Instant Spotify Upgrades for ONLY $0.75. discord.gg/D8aG4Q9

Attached: 947A25C2-2837-458D-90AB-6282CFC3576B.png (1200x630, 7K)

well i did just tell you to kill yourself before that so i had it coming

Attached: 1475093101141.jpg (1000x584, 52K)

>shitty encryption
wtf?
>can't even startx
put the file into $HOME/.xinitrc you retard.
>no virtualisation
use qemu/vmd.
>slow kernel
disable malloc protections, swap filesystem to use soft updates and performance should be similar to other os unless you're writing high throughput networking apps.
>latency up the ass
pls?
>no ports of linux gaymes
imagine using another os to play your games.
retard.
>old software
forked software based on old software. new software in ports.
>no drivers
it's very obvious what's supported. if it isn't then don't use it. it's that simple.

why do i use openbsd?
>opensmtpd
>extra security protections
>httpd
>relayd
>simple doas, ksh
>cohesive configuration format
>good documentation
>tiny simple kernel
>tiny init system
>heavily script based
>extremely precautious developers

>picks Xorg of all as example
wew

as a rule of thumb if you're seeking some software use pkg_info -Q and then the name and you'll find it chances are. if not, there's a tool that'll search the ports tree for program that you name. maybe an user will know and link the name.

yeah sorry
installing wayland rn

Attached: screenshot.png (648x356, 15K)

>t. dumb rice that feels good because he does all his unneeded hobbyist bs on an even more obscure distro
Have fun being two steps behind everyone.

>opensmtpd
very good taste. the only MTA worth using.

openbsd maintains a xorg fork called "xenocara". xenocara.org/

you don't have to install sway from source, it's already in the portage tree. un-keyword dev-libs/sway and emerge.

well my current wm is bspwm and i found a wayland port
github.com/Bl4ckB0ne/bspwc

why do you use this wm?

Attached: puffy ninja.png (631x523, 273K)

It's all right, I like some wayland compositors but don't be a push over if you need X programs, haha.
I use X myself, I can't ditch it yet at this point.

>systemd uses an assert in parsing code
nothin personnel.

see

lobste.rs/s/8hsjvh/systemd_is_bad_parsing_should_feel_bad#c_je2jtv
dumbass

hey fuck you linuxlet, who gives a shit enough to read every comment everywhere or verify stupid code?

>false claim you could verify in less than five minutes with a text editor and grep
>claim is pointed out as bs
>"hurr blurr who has time to be right about anything, i just repeat memes i read on Jow Forums like an NPC"
i fear for the future of our white race

no retard this is how the flow goes.
>read article online in the morning and remember it
>mention it in a thread without really thinking about it

>some sperg hunts down a comment on lobsters
>why didn't you grep for it dumbass?

i don't see how that makes you any less of a gullible fuckwit. do you uncritically believe everything you read online?

no i just literally do not give a fuck enough. it's not something anyone gives a shit about except for some idle banter.

what are you doing on Jow Forums if you don't care about technology

idly reading an article absorbing it at the surface level then moving onto something else != not caring. the moment this shit is released the problem is usually fixed. i don't want to invest time immediately following reading an article searching around for discussion/critically reviewing the code that's the focus of the discussion for it 100% of the time.

then you'll simply have to come to terms with being wrong a lot. some people have the decency not to pretend.

Based

>Sargon
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Linux is old software

>what’s the point

No system D?

If you really want to use a BSD unix you should just use Mac OS

You can't startx anymore because of an Xorg security bug. All you gotta do is enable Xenodm and login trough it.

This. That's literally the point of arch. You want minimalist? Literally install gentoo. It's still bloated but not always by default.

Here's your (You)

it's the worst thing that ever happened
I LOVE systemd in comparison to X

compared to an arch linux system, an "equivalent" gentoo will end up with more packages because of build dependencies. it's by no means "minimalist".

I installed it on an old Thinkpad X23 and put seamonkey on there as my browser, it’s p. comfy. Got my emacs, my lynx, my xastir, I’m all set.

untill you have a hardware/power failure and you lose everything because of the shitty filesystem

are they ever gonna fix it?
I don't want to use a dm

I don't know, I don't pay much attention to the mailing lists nor to undeadly.org
Just try out -current and see if it's already fixed.

Solaris invented ZFS you monstrous idiot

Arch doesn't have minimalism, it has developer laziness.

which openbsd doesn't support

>openbsd doesn't have "muh buzzword"

Buy a UPS, you shit eating retard.

Attached: 1540709433667.png (665x670, 176K)

and when that fails? will a ups save you from a cap exploding or your mobo just dying?

who cares Oracle isn't shooting anything ZFS downstream since they bought SUN

>mobo just dying

>falling for the $600 out-of-warranty logic board replacement meme

Attached: 6290287387_5aebfa1086_b.jpg (1024x640, 204K)

Stop buying chinkshit. I've been using the same mediocre prebuilt desktop since 2007, and the thing regularly accumulates months of uptime. I only power it off to repaste or swap in new hard disks or RAM. Never once have any of my machines just failed out of the blue. You must be doing something wrong.

Attached: 1479876654713.png (328x408, 83K)