What is the perfect NAS for Media Streaming?

What is the perfect NAS for Media Streaming?

Attached: ds218play.jpg (1600x900, 90K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MfYoJkiwSqCXg8cm5-Ac4oOLPRtCkgUxU0jdj3tmMPc/edit#gid=1274624273
plex.tv/about/privacy-legal/
synology.com/en-global/products/DS218play
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Any low powered PC, really.

I figured at least one brainlet like you would arrive on the scene.

Epic, fellow gamer. Trolled him epic style. Now buy a $600 NAS like the epic consumer you are!

A 12 bay r510 running freenas

I have exaclty one of these, I got HGST drives in it, one of the better ones and one of the shittier ones, I can give exact models but both are 7200rpm. I think I memed myself because I pretty much never utilise them but that might change once I upgrade my router.
Other regrets are its hybernation mode, it wakes up multiple times daypy to a point where I wonder if its even worth using it. Also their apps while neat are limited, I can elabirate.

Something fanless with SSDs

rpi3 with usb hd attached. far from ideal but works.

QNAP or Synology?

Well he is right, old PC that uses up low power is optimal because if you needed more space for discs all you need to do is get a bigger case or another HDD rack inside the case or an external enclosure.

Just get Netflix on your phone.

>NAS for Media Streaming
Anything will do. Even media sharing on your own PC is good enough.

I have a folder shared on my Thinkpad, and I use it to stream movies and shit to other computers and video projectors on my local network.
I had a NAS once, because I hoarded data, games, animus, and all that, but it's pretty much useless nowadays.

Old PCs are likely to be power inefficient

If you need to store a LOT of valuable data and have a need for it to be accessible 24/7, buy a Synology with 4 bays and use it in RAID 5.

If you just need to media stream for movies like a casual, any computer does the trick.

Don't be a consumerist cuck.

Unlikely.
Core2's used less than 50w idle and it all gets better from there.
Unless you were intending on using some old dual seat P4 Xeon poweredge, it's not really a problem.

Hell you could probably rig up some aliexpress x86 nettop that has a pci-e slot to use a HP P410.

>buy a Synology

Attached: synology.png (426x304, 139K)

>Old PCs are likely to be power inefficient
Nowadays, you can plugin an HDD on your Router, or even have one by default in it, and use it to media share.
(It depends on your router I guess, but in all 4 countries I lived in, it was possible on the basic router the IPS gives you)

Since your router is already on 24/7, it's arguably the best solution, power efficiency wise.

>Don't be a consumerist cuck.
>buy a Synology
pick only one.

this.
My setup is a Raspberry pi 3B+, with an 8TB drive using Emby, Sonarr, Radarr, Rtorrent (With RuTorrent interface), Nextcloud for backup and a quick HTML 5 interface to index it, all running on debian (with no gui)..
It can actually stream 11gb+ movies pretty well (unless someone else tries to stream something at the same time)..
I might switch to another server soon though, because at times my family overloads ffmpeg

Ah yes, the gaming youtube thumbnails, the best argument there is.
I install and maintain Synology NAS for my clients all the time, it just works.

>hurrdurr, here is ONE FAILURE, so you're wrong
Grow up.

>locked down overpriced trash
kys

>I'm making money servicing these things, don't tell people they're bad, they'll get wise.

>admits to vested interest in selling Synology

This deserves a Sataniapost.

Attached: 1543693700726.gif (500x491, 376K)

My clients have a monthly fee that they pay to my company in order to have IT support.

Trust me, we think all the time on how to make things easier, simpler, and cheaper.
If another NAS did it better, we would use it, but Synology NAS are really good if something goes wrong, and they are not used to host your anime pictures, it's work data, so we need it to be relatively fool proof and easily serviceable.

Sub 50MiB/s devices aren't for work data, they're for home movies and idiots.
Real work is stored actual fileservers, not meme NAS.

isnt it painfully slow without usb 3.0 ? the only thing keeping me away from using a raspberry pi is the usb2.0

All NAS are good for media streaming.
Unless you want to transcode video to stream over an internet connection. In that case you want to look at the PLEX compatibility list:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MfYoJkiwSqCXg8cm5-Ac4oOLPRtCkgUxU0jdj3tmMPc/edit#gid=1274624273

>fool proof and easily serviceable
do you know where you are?

Write-speed is kind of annoying, but the local internet speed is really the main problem. at 20MB/S it's kind of annoying

Ignore them, they don't have any real-world IT experience. Synology are the best NASs on the market.

For real use besides hosting anime pictures, I do believe so, yes.

Samefag. Have you no shame?

USB 2.0 can do 480Mbit/s so it should be fine.
bluray movie has a bitrate of 60Mbit/s. You need double that because the Pi also uses Ethernet over USB.

They can consume less than 20w, get over it.

Learn epic gamer Google boy

Attached: Capture.png (721x290, 15K)

lrn2detect samefag

Attached: Capture.png (696x189, 31K)

Attached: Look mom I can inspect element.png (1600x900, 152K)

>th-they dont know anything ;_;

Take an old 15w laptop and throw disks at it. SOHO garbage is trick to steal money from dumb people. You don't need a cute commodity OP you just need a little home nas.
Synology sucks. Buffalo sucks. Iomega in particular sucks. The whole market segment is crap and not fit for any purpose.

I don't know why you're doubledowning on your retardation. Synology and QNAP dominate the NAS market - both in consumer and business products.

plex and kodi litteraly botnet.

ok this is epic

but in all seriousness this. build one yourself. I have a J1900 mini itx running ubuntu server, connected to 2 wd reds in a zfs mirror. media exposed via samba and played back by kodi on an rpi 3 b+

>slow locked down shitbox dominates the market of slow locked down shitboxes

Attached: kipumies.jpg (794x435, 42K)

If that's all you can perceive from that post, then you only have yourself to blame.

>y-you dont understaand ;__;

*block your packets*

Attached: it_photo_103288.jpg (1013x675, 55K)

Yikes. Not using a zfs mirror in 2018

Okay, well you have a nice day.

What format are the disks you slot into the nas?
if I take out a drive, can you still read the data as an external drive?

Raid will save your data if a drive breaks down but what if the device dies?

>Raid will save your data if a drive breaks down but what if the device dies?
There are several solutions for that, but there is pretty nice softwares to emulate or use a VM to read the disks.

dumb cunts. Best NAS for enterprise isn't some faggot prebuilt plastic trash.

Then use a laptop. You literally need any left over hardware to stream media over ethernet.

Question:
Is Plex a dangerous botnet?
I live in a shithole with no money to persecute normal citizens, also no caps for internette usage. So I used plex directly in my main PC to index all my pirate media. All of it.
I would like someday to go to shartland to get a tasty 5 guys burguer. Could I got dettained for my pirate media?

Afaik the ethernet port shares its bus with the USB hub so it's even slower than you think. I gave up on using mine as a NAS because it's useless for anything but sharing light files

Want a dedicated media server with a ups?
Hook a rapberry pi up to a laptop drive and a powerbank.

Attached: 1543778716263.jpg (377x377, 38K)

>Perfect
There's no such thing
Build one yourself:
Cheaper, more powerful, more control, more set-up time required
Synology/another good NAS box:
Smaller, easier to setup, (usually) less power usage
Decide what's more important to you and decide

All enterprise shit is "faggot prebuilt plastic trash". Nobody builds their own shit.

Any of those shitboxes actually use firmware raid? The ones I've encountered all have mdadm and/or lvm.
As for migration and recovery Asustor has the most transparent system, it's simple mdadm that you can drop in any other Asustor box or your desktop and it will just work. Downside of lack of LVM means you can't partially upgrade your disks. Also any x86 Asustor can boot form usb in case of catastrophic firmware failure, or if you just want to use your own os.

wrong

your previous PC, stuck in a closet somewhere

Best answer.

odroid xu4 with samba compiled from source to add time machine support

Attached: ac69d419.png (491x345, 25K)

>The ones I've encountered all have mdadm and/or lvm.
They pretty much all do, and it's the best solution out there anyhow. Performant and extremely manageable/robust.

>and it's the best solution out there anyhow
I know, I mean even if hardware breaks down you can pull the info from the drives with little effort.
Except maybe Drobo? I've never worked with one but all their marketing bullshit about automagical storage mergeing and tiering sounds like a nightmare to recover manually.

Hard to tell, maybe the ad botnet of Plex exposes completely what you watch already. Or not. And data about you is probably stored in the USA. Privacy isn't a high priority in the USA vs. law enforcement discretion, never mind that the law-making bodies are often quite friendly to copyright lobbyist's demands.

Maybe you can start to figure out how much you are at risk from this:
plex.tv/about/privacy-legal/

>Take an old 15w laptop and throw disks at it.
Not often a great idea for more than 1 internal and maybe 1 external drive because you'll be using an "old laptop's" USB ports which may not even do UAS and not have enough ports anyhow. Never mind normal computer cases are ~the cheapest way to safely mount HDD/SSD without any DIY solutions.

Generally better take the old laptop's components and stick them into a new desktop computer with a new mainboard with an Intel onboard J**** APU or an AMD 200GE. Add RAM as needed and a suitable PSU (maybe a $15 chinese picoPSU clone?) and you're good.

I cannot find anything that will stream 4k remuxes properly. It might be my router but smb over 5ghz wifi isnt cutting it. Still have to plug an external HDD into my TV like a caveman

Why don't you plugin in an Ethernet cable instead?

Because running one across different floors of my house is annoying.

old laptop. Has integrated UPS

Enjoy your shit performance then

5ghz cannot pass trough many walls (1 wall maximum) and you need good signal to have full speed.

What are keystone jacks and wallplates?

*brick wall

qnap

I love how OP asks for a NAS recommendation and a bunch of retards come out with suggestions for a single hard drive solution.

OP is asking for a NAS for media storage, not "how do I plug in a USB HDD to my rpi XD"

Take some old PC parts, throw it in a box with some hard drives and put freenas or unraid or some other bullshit on it, then point a plex box at it. Easy, expandable, and not shit tier.

DIY.

anything that runs freenas

Attached: freenas.png (1920x1009, 105K)

Best nas is freenas.

>Supermicro x9 board
>32gb ecc ram
>6x8tb raid-z2 pool with 1tb nvme cache drive
>10gb networking
>external monthly backup

Do you even know how muchh a cheap NAS costs?

How do you control or install shit on a NAS/whatever without a monitor hooked up to it?

Attached: 1515903832948.png (817x443, 34K)

Truly decrepit and old laptops used to involve nigger rigging a pci express card that can do port multiplying then throwing regular sata disks at an enclosure.
I don't think the average person needs more than a modern linux/freenas box and a few usb disks. Pretty much any laptop from the last 8 years would be fine.

ssh

Get an x86 based synology and you basically have a small form factor linux box that you can do whatever you want with. Mine works great.

Why not x64 or ARM?

The x86 ones are all x86_64 as far as I know. They're the more powerful of the models and have more software available than the ARM ones. Or at least that was the case when I bought mine a few years back.

There are many options. Linux comes with a program called SSH. Basically it lets you send commands through text that the server executes. Also, you might know Teamviewer, which you can use without a monitor attached to the computer you're connecting to. There's also X forwarding, VNC, RDP, the list goes on...

ssh or remote desktop

Why do these things need encoding/transcoding capabilities? Don't you just use them to store media so your TVs and Phones can play them?

I work for a large msp and we only use Netgear ones.

>x86
>x86_64
>ARM
>not using a SPARC box with an 8 port SATA II controller and modern drives
Shiggity diddity

Attached: Yes, I know.png (540x571, 58K)

Anyone?

It's related to streaming to those devices. If your phone can't support streaming the original file, the nas can transcode it to a more palatable format.

Can we all agree QNAP make the best NASes?

>u-use a laptop!
No, retard.

they don't they are not even intended for that purpose.

Then why do the higher end ones have quad-core CPUs?

for virtualization machines mostly.
for video transcoding you need GPU
it's much more efficient than CPU

Ok, then explain the marketing behind Synology's "play" series:

synology.com/en-global/products/DS218play