/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% --help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1501378220021.png (1000x1178, 204K)

Other urls found in this thread:

noip.com/download?page=linux
noip.com/support/knowledgebase/installing-the-linux-dynamic-update-client/
pastebin.com/CFn5U5ZL
virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux build instructions
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first for slackware

why do "people" use Manjaro?

Attached: 3243x14321.gif (500x281, 1.11M)

>implying anyone who uses Linux unironically can be considered human

Attached: 1336779159161.jpg (500x375, 29K)

go shill vidya somewhere else

>implying Linux is useful outside of servers and supercomputers

Recommend a distro to a guy who absolutely hates Linux. I can't stand this fucking shit but I still use it anyways because it's not as bad as Windows or Mac OS, which have a trillion problems a piece. But every Linux distro also has a bunch of tiny problems that drive me up a wall. Fedora, RHEL, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, and Debian are all nightmarish clusterfucks of systemdicks and Gnome garbage that either make package management into a babyish walled garden or needlessly complex. Then there's source based garbage which is a whole different level of sucks. Every window manager and desktop environment is pure ass.

Linux blows chunks. I fucking hate this shit. I'm just about one more "you have unmet dependencies" away from going and living in the woods.

Attached: 1464387715342.png (275x266, 87K)

Well no duh, a kernel by itself is useless. That's why we all use GNU/Linux.

systemd is the fastest and most powerful init

It's pretty useless for supercomputers, IMO. Linux running on >= 4k cores is a hack at best.

It's great for random hardware because it actually has drivers for everything these days.

If it's useless for supercomputers, then why is almost every TOP500 running it?

gentoo

Arch. It just werks.

Yesterday i booted an iso from grub and unmounted the hd and erased it and tried to install from the iso onto it. It did not work please nobody do that. 1 like=1 prayer

Because non-useless supercomputer OSes don't exist outside of academia right now.

It's also the gayest

Also, current supercomputers aren't really used in a way which requires much OS intervention anyway. It's mainly scientific computing which doesn't need to make system calls very often. Linux is good enough for this.

fuck linux, no games, shit os, die fags

Neck yourself, /v/edditor.

go commit neckrope

How to add a new DNS server (say OpenNIC) in Debian? I added one in /etc/resolv.conf but it's not resolving anything at all when I'm browsing.

Do I need to restart some service?
Do I need change other settings if the server has DNSCrypt?

Attached: 1542559234252.jpg (700x933, 97K)

Based and gnupilled.

Don't add shit to resolv.conf directly, it gets overwritten by networkmanager and suck.

1. if you just want some extra nameservers, add them to resolv.conf.head so it gets added to resolver every time the conf is generated
2. if you use network/interfaces you can add them to there
3. you can add them directly to networkmanager. if you wish to only use your manual servers and no DHCP given servers you need to set 1 more option in neworkmanger config, check a web search about it

be sure no other program or service that modifies resolv.conf
e.g.
>networkmanager
add dns=none to /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

cheers, I'll try this out

>hmm
What the fuck is wrong with Tux in this picture

what's the point of using linux when you can have mac that is true unix?

Linux is a kernel.
Mac is a device.
Non of them are Unix.

fuck off Stallman

second this

retardation

>intel_do_flush_locked failed: Invalid argument
Why do I get this error sometimes when running mpv?

Attached: b7524d4fb3d55c5b22ec83636e8039ea.jpg (500x753, 41K)

reposting from last thread to those i was replying to
I have 3 2tb in a raidz1 and it uses around 4-6gb ram during file transfer
because i prefer using debian and i can also use the machine for other things outside of zfs if i need to.

Friendly terminology reminder.

Unix
>The Unix system
The non-free system developed by AT&T in the 70s - lacking freedom.

GNU
>The GNU system
The free unix-like system started by Richard Stallman and developed in the 80s - lacking a kernel.

Linux
>The Linux kernel
The free unix-like kernel started by Linus Torvalds and developed in the 90s - lacking a system.

GNU/Linux
>The GNU/Linux system
The combination of the GNU system and the Linux kernel - lacking filepicker thumbnails.

Now, while there are in fact macOS versions with UNIX certifications (meaning UNIX the standard, not the OS), ehen you look it up, you'll also find there GNU/Linux versions certified as UNIX.

Next, UNIX is a lot of things; it's a system used 50 years ago, a standard and a trademark - you can buy certs to call your system UNIX when you meet the UNIX specifications (which actually nobody cares about).

The standard that actually matters is POSIX (thanks Dr. Stallman); it defines (unlike real UNIX, which is shit) how an UNIX-like system (how we think about it) should work.

I don't want yo define the pervert thing that macOS is, but if I must, I'd call it a combination of ancient BSD and GNU tools, pissed on, shat on and painted in a friendly color. To make it at least look like a bit "techy", Apple bought the UNIX cert (because after all, ghost BSD/GNU cripples still match UNIX requirements).

fuck off Torvalds

Can you dual Boot linux with android phone???

Please post more questions.

Attached: 1538835079042.png (420x420, 10K)

I like the new Linux logo.

sniff

Is it possible to install this onto Raspbian? Or is there a better alternative?

noip.com/download?page=linux

Linux virgin here pls no bully

Attached: images (20).jpg (757x399, 37K)

it's a degree in computer science, with a research focus on cybersecurity

Gentoo.

yea you should be able to
this looks doable
noip.com/support/knowledgebase/installing-the-linux-dynamic-update-client/

Wayland or X11?

Attached: Top10-Best-Selling-Manga-Oricon-2018-5.jpg (556x1000, 67K)

Why is debian considered "minimal" when it's ubuntu that has netinst image just 61mb and debian is around 290?

Attached: 5.png (211x152, 7K)

how do i share files between linux machines?, i tried samba but none of my machines show up in the network

Attached: dum.jpg (640x480, 55K)

I'm trying to make xfwm4 as close to i3 as possible, any tips in doing so?

Attached: CENSORED.jpg (600x600, 36K)

Imagine being such a shut-in autist that you've convinced yourselves that Linux is superior

@68798394

you can use the built in sftp server with sshd or sshfs
you can use i3 with xfce if you want to

anyone find a non retarded way to force anti-aliasing with radeon cards? by non retarded i mean not having to compile it in to undo a change a retarded dev did to appease retards

Souljaboy is /our guy/

Attached: Screenshot_20181205-110110_Facebook.jpg (719x1029, 174K)

>proprietary memeware

I'm trying to install Office 2003 in Wine and get this. I used winecfg to have the mounted disc show up as D: and mounted it with mount -o loop iso mountpoint

Whoops

Attached: 2018-12-05-123957_512x452_scrot.png (512x452, 15K)

So I'm tired of giving KDE a fair chance when it still is fucking shit. What's the best desktop environment for a dual monitor setup? Something with a pretty solid window manager. I've used Cinnamon in the past, but it had some really fucked up composting and other problems due to a graphics glitch I guess.

I really like "intelligent" panel hiding, but otherwise I'm not too picky on features.

Attached: 1539738680469.jpg (848x1199, 117K)

why is there no x11-free package for virtualbox in the debian repos ?
i'm running a debian server and want to set up a headless virtualbox install, why the fuck is it pulling 300 x11 deps, is there a package without those ?

Attached: 1458224497549.png (2133x1200, 1.01M)

Which should I use as a first distribution on an old T420

Suse Tumbleweed (with KDE) or Xubuntu

I want to get at least somewhat competent with Linux. I already know my way around bash fairly ok

arch + i3wm is a good starter kit

just use Docker already

Gno

>account
>hub
why the fuck would i do that, i just wanna access a windurr vm, and my host OS is debian, that wouldn't work

I don't like KDE but it's Suse distribution used to crush everything else. The system is also an excellent piece of german engineering, a lot of attention is paid to details.

I've been using Debian Stable + Xfce for many years now.

Ive been testing linux waters for the last 2 months and finally find a good setup to use, with all the apps that i need and a nice UI.
The thing is: my pc is super bloated now, 3.5k packages, and i dont want to format and reinstall everything from scratch.

Theres a easy way to uninstall everything that i never used or ive not used for some time?
I dont want want to do everthing again but all these packages are killing me.

Attached: 3.5k packages.png (793x406, 146K)

3.5k is not that much. Distros package things differently, on debian distros a single software is split in many packages.

I'm sure there is an easy way to do what you want but I don't remember how.

How does one get an akai mpk2 midi controller to work with Linux?

sudo apt purge ubuntu-gnome-desktop
sudo apt purge --auto-remove ubuntu-gnome-desktop
[spoiler]sudo rm -rf /[/spoiler]
sudo apt autoremove
and reboot

well memed bro

Thanks anyway. Ill try to find a way.

You reminded me that this one came with kde and i hated it, so, i purged everything now. Thanks.

what's the package count after purging kde ? just curious
virtualbox or ideally wine with usb passthru, the program itself isn't a problem to run in wine but it's the passthrough that's finniky, good luck

Attached: afterkde.png (790x408, 55K)

huh that's barely better, i don't think you purged everything kde, did you run autoremove ?

>did you run autoremove ?
Yeah. =/

you probably need something more like this: pastebin.com/CFn5U5ZL
altho this is outdated, try running it, it won't remove all but should remove quite a few
don't forget to run autoremove afterwards

Didnt work, dont know why, tho.
I see that ksysguard is in the list, but it doesnt get removed.
A bit strange.

plz respond, can someone at least tell me at what step to use build options to build headless ?
virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux build instructions
i'm kinda new to building from source, plz no bully

Attached: 1325528803116.jpg (799x765, 115K)

Any way of testing DPC latency on any linux distro?

package count doesn't matter retard, is on the disk not on the ram. just Jow Forumstards will tell you so because they don't have jobs but they do have autism.
Debian based packages are more separated than arch, but because of that it actually takes less space on disk

Why my brightness slider in gnome 3.30 fucked up? It takes like a full minute to react to being changed.

Why every time I install this shit it has some problem like this

Does anyone know of a program that would allow me to play SACD .isos on linux?

Why do people seem to hate Manjaro? Serious question, been thinking of dual-booting it (using it pretty much full time, only booting windows for >muh games) and it seems pretty nice, Arch without the pain.

T. Beginner who uses Debian for homeserver and used Mint on a shitty laptop for like a month

The gnome shell is written in javascript, the project recently ran out of money because they were spending too much on affirmative policies, the mailing lists are an echo chamber, half of the bugs are marked as feature and there is a culture of "feature" shit spray.

t. i hate Jow Forums

It inherited arch memes.

Attached: manjaro vs arch.png (1000x922, 1.01M)

Fresh debian install, running weston I open the terminal and type env DISPLAY=wayland-0 firefox-esr but firefox immediately crashes. Why? Please spoonfeed, I'm a big gay baby

esr doesn't support wayland, only nightly does

Thanks, I'm a big gay baby

Attached: 1215781690167.jpg (750x600, 85K)

Someone help me with ssh keys
>succesfully created keys for root and 2 normal users
>fas forward time and need some more
>geberate rsa keys and put public one in home/user/.ssh/authorized_keys
whenever i try to enter with the key it tells me to fuck off

So what should I use instead? No memes pls, only dreams.

Attached: 1535603222624.jpg (367x411, 26K)

Just use memejaro if it works for you.

Hey, I'm a big gay baby and how do I run firefox-esr in xwayland?

having tried arch, manjaro, antergos, gentoo, *buntu, and a few more
bunsenlabs linux, it's debian but comes default with a lightweight fully functioning install
it's the lightest and most stable "just werks" distro i've ever seen

Attached: 2018-12-01-191549_1600x900_scrot.png (1600x900, 1.34M)

but it has shit name thou

why is GNU Screen a thing when tmux exists?

[core]
xwayland=true
in your weston ini
anything arch based is shit, arch itself is okay but a headache to manage, other debian based distros are bloated, debian itself needs manual configuration, everything else is bloat or too memey by my standards, bunsenlabs has been comfy, i only need to replace systemD and i'll be satisfied forever

I'll probably intall it on a VM and give it a spin.

Will check it out, cheers.

I've decided friendship ended with MATE, Budgie desktop is my new best friend. Honestly, it just werks. It's super lightweight, has good features, but the focus on a minimal footprint never impacts the user. I've been using it on my X250 lately, and have had nothing but good experiences, and it seems to do pretty well on my desktop too.

I'm really interested in seeing the transition to Qt through, so hopefully it doesn't ruin everything

you know what they say, old habits, they die hard

4 u
>and i'll be satisfied forever
For 1,5 year until the project dies and no on picks it up.

it's debian dummy, the packages are all from the debian repos, the distro itself is just a simple script installing and configuring packages like you would manually, it doesn't need updates