Old Internet Access

how slow was your first internet connection what did you browse with it

Attached: dialup2.gif (412x206, 168K)

Other urls found in this thread:

textfiles.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yahoo games mostly

14.4kb on Win 3.1 around 1993
I remember using AOL and looking up keyword Nickelodeon and getting yelled at by my dad since it was still pay by minute at that time.

Cable internet came late to my area, was on dialup till 2004, fastest I ever got was 28.8k over our trash phone lines, couldn't even handle 56k.

i don't remember but probs like 500kbps or 1mbit, and I used it to talk via MSN messenger to the two or three kids that had computers with internet back then, must've been 8 or 10 (2003-2005)

good times, I remember some features of MSN made my computer crash completely

>14.4kb

Attached: 940.jpg (500x291, 23K)

My first internet was with AOL discs, the price was by the hour and the speed was shitty dial-up with the funny connection noise and all, if you answered a call the internet connection would get interrupted too. It used to take minutes just to load an HD pr0n pic, boners for hours. The browser was internet explorer and the search engine was called Lycos with the icon of a black dog.

56k usenet groups

I still use 120kb/s to this day

cable (in 2001), browsed local community sites and chats and played ultima online.

ISDN connection with the download speed of glorious 4 fucking KB/s.

Fucking GlobalNet.

t.slav

56k in 1998 or so on an IBM Aptiva

>300bps
>Browse? How millennial

Wouldn't have been bad at all in 1993.

56Kbps Rockwell modem, working in 33,6 mode because shitty network.
What: generic surfing, Altavista, etc.

Around 47000bps, I mostly went to php bulletin boards and 4pigs.com

First modem we had was a 14.4. I dialed up to bbses and used prodigy.

I still have my 56k Rockwell modem. Used to get about 4.2kbps max.

We had a dedicated dial-up line running around 48kbps, plugged into a machine that would serve it up as a proxy. We had a 10mbps LAN in our house back in 1994ish, with 3 client PCs sharing the dial-up connection using the proxy client software and sockscap to wrap things like command&conquer so we could all play online.

Had around that speed, right. I have it still too.

I don't know what speed it was (seems like maybe 28k), but it was in the Windows 95 era, and I used it for research, and some kind of primitive forum, and usenet.

300 baud. dialed into BBS systems.

56k dailup from Juno.
Then 5mbps from Comcast in about 2001/2.
Then 15mbps from Comcast in 2006

Then moved to Verizon FiOS when they built out our area, 30mbps in 2008. Then 50mbps in 2010, 150mbps in 2012, then 1gbps in 2017.

AOL dial-up, but I don’t know the speed because I was a little kid at the time. I remember playing games on aol kids

28k modem, Netscape Navigator

AOL dial-up. I played runescape and trying to kill people in the wilderness was abysmal.

>Connection lost. Please wait - attempting to reestablish.
>Dead.

Attached: 1542378451237.gif (352x264, 1.99M)

supposedly 56k (7kB/s), in practice more like 24k (3kB/s) on a good day
this was in 1998... but I was stuck with dial up until 2007 (first year I posted on Jow Forums was still over dialup, that was in 2006)

early on, was mostly just looking shit up for school and looking for anything interesting at all
had a website mostly full of games for really little kids bookmarked because it had this cool Java applet filled 3D version of Tail Gunner in the midst of a bunch of edutainment shit
in the early 2000s, I visited shit like stickdeath.com and shockwave.com
was really glad when I found out about google, ask jeeves fucking sucked

in 2007, 300kB/s DSL finally came to my area and the first fucking thing I did was download Firefox (shit was like magic, was really tired of IE's inability to display semi-transparent PNGs properly) and Damn Small Linux
(which I didn't use much, but I did have it)
downloading anything over 5MB without the connection dropping out seemed like too much of a far cry over dialup

Don't remember, but I do remember being like 6 or 7 and my dad not letting me leave the computer on overnight so I could download java or some shit. My first memories of the internet involve coffeebreakarcade and misc. other free java game sites.

>Using 120kb/s when every webpage is full of JS and covered with ads
Wow

5.6 kBps from Napster, had to DCC a screenshot to a friend who didn't believe me (sending that took forever)

Attached: NAPSTER.png (1200x630, 105K)

56k: max speed 2kb/sec
netscape/gozilla free internet

or aol free trial. call them to cancel, receive more free time.

56k from 1999 till 2003 then we got adsl1 1.1mbits

ISDN 32kb/s from 1998 - about 2001
2001 until 2009 220kb/s

300 baud
BBS's (bulletin board systems)
Commodore VIC-20 and 64

I had 56k well into the 90s past 95

compuserve groups

mah migga and fellow oldfag. I had a vic 20 and commodore 64 as well with the 300 baud modem. dialed into many a BBS system.

my dad worked for control data, so we also had a hard wired Arpanet greenscreen terminal at the house, it was on the PLATO system of Control Data's....shit was so cash....

>Quantum Link

>downloading anything over 5MB without the connection dropping out seemed like too much of a far cry over dialup
>not rocking getright

sex

Didn't really browse any sites, just IRC and Limewire/Kazaa/Soulseek

C:\
Connect to Compuserve on a DOS computer with 2 floppies. Got you into a menu with ten options.

I have TONS of stories from the old BBS days. Heres a cool related site :
textfiles.com/

About 3 to 5 KB/sec

That's not an internet connection

>Yahoo games mostly
Yahoo Chess was playable in the worst connection conditions. I wish they would bring back Yahoo Chess.

>56k usenet groups
Usenet was great, though wading through snuh cascades could really grind my gears.

>>Using 120kb/s when every webpage is full of JS and covered with ads
>Wow
I'm guessing javascript is turned off, or maybe even just a text browser?!

I had a 14.4 Cardinal-Hayes modem helping me visit Yahoo Directories, Usenet, The Well, What's Inside Jeremy's Wallet, Trojan Room Coffee Cam, fish cams, etc.

>39 yo boomer here
14.4 dialup to a SunOS shell our isp required you to login to Unix as they didn't have PPP/SLIP yet. More stuff was on local BBS's at the time.
When my ISP got PPP/PAP I was running Slackware linux and writing pppd/chat/expect shell scripts to dialin (ti's a bitch)

>getright
I use to fucking live by getright/flashget. I would queue up downloads and have my computer dial up automatically at around midnight till 5am and download things non stop. I only had a 28k connection so it would be about 1MB every 5 minutes, so in a best case scenario I could get around 60MB of downloading done. This meant everything when trying to download DBZ or South Park realplayer episodes, or large (20MB) game patches.

teeesstttt

dude, you're too young to be a boomer....

I remember trying to play RS on a satellite connection up in the boonies back in 2006 I think. I know those feels.