Vega 64

Is the reference model Vega 64 to be avoided? I've been interested in Vega for a while and now I have the chance to get a pretty sweet deal on a V64 but it's the blower reference model. I'm just worried about heat and power consumption.

What do Jow Forums?

Attached: 9e37a45f-7298-4759-b2d5-353f2c11e5d9.jpg (1920x1234, 399K)

Remember the 290X? It's that but more.

get yourself a 3rd party cooler and swap it?

People purposely buy these for water setups. Checkout the prices on cooling kits and see if it's worth the savings. You could always use it as is (which is still fine, don't be a retarded consumer) and later get a cooler if you want. It's still the same board underneath.

how much can you get it for and where are you from

If you plan to replace the cooling with your own, then yes there's no reason to buy anything but the reference model.
If you don't plan to, then you should buy a model with better cooling

I've been with my Vega-chan for a year now and it's comfy

Attached: 20171214_173124625.jpg (960x540, 124K)

'MURICA

It's good if you can cop it for cheap and slap a Morpheus II Core on it

The fuck is this Team Rocket GPU

how much are you buying it for? im trying to sell my vega so i can pay for driving courses and get out of neetdom

>Is the reference model Vega 64 to be avoided?
ANY reference model should be avoided, no matter the GPU.

Vega on a blower cooler is terrible. With no power limiter (which is what makes the clocks jump all over the place out of the box) at 1.1V (stock voltage is 1.2V) you can't cool it, it shoots up to 85C and thermal throttles unless you turn the blower up to jet engine levels.

This is also a bad idea, a friend of mine killed a Vega doing this. The package with the interposer and HBM and soforth is ridiculously delicate.

If you want a vega buy a sapphire nitro or something. Otherwise NVidia has multiple cards that perform similarly with less heat output.

i think vega 56 is a better value. on ebay you can get one used for $265

I saw it on Newegg for about $500 and it comes with three $80 games. I'm in Canada so those prices are obviously CAD.

I have a 1060 right now so it doesn't seem worth upgrading to a V56

not a bad price

>I have a 1060 right now so it doesn't seem worth upgrading to a V56

Attached: Smile2.jpg (362x310, 48K)

Reference Vega 64 is solid. Just make sure your chassis has decent venation and bump up the GPU fan speed as much as your ears can tolerate.

The reference cooler is perfectly fine. The problem is that default Fan profile is set for RX 480/580 not Vega 56/64. You need to bump up fan speeds to keep temperatures under control. That's the price of dealing with 200W+ of concentrated thermal output.

You need water cooler if you want near-silence.

If you lower your voltages you get more performance due to the built in thermal throttling. Look the shit up, it's a long process but it's so good once you're done. Easily beats a 1080, comes right under a 1080ti

Reference Vega is great for watercooling. Lots of headroom.
Custom air cooler should be good, too, but then you have to worry about VRM temps.

It isn't a long process at all, its like 60 seconds in Wattman.
You lower the voltage for the highest pstates while increasing the power limit and increasing clocks. Instantly higher performance at lower power consumption.

If you want the particular optimal settings for your card then it's a lot of benchmarking and stress testing for several hours for each little change, as just randomly changing the numbers can net you an unstable card. You've got to monitor temperatures, actual voltage usage, memory usage, actual memory frequency, etc. all to get the best possible temperatures for the stable clock speed you found through benching. It's nearly a linear programming problem with all the shit you have to monitor, but you're only trying to maximize memory clock to temperature at stable increments until you start seeing disproportionate temperature increases.

But by all means if you just want to squeeze out 80% of what your card is completely capable of then just set like 100mV down on the highest states, increase memory clock to around 1060, fix the fan set up, increase power to the full 150%, and leave the rest alone. Also, set stage 1 as your minimum state, because the transition from stage 0 to stage 1 can cause instability and lead to random driver failures. You do this in Wattman by clicking on the text "Stage 1" (or State? not at my rig atm) and then the option for set as minimum should pop up in a context box

this is what I did to my reference vega 64 I got last month.

Attached: 6BhgkkJ.jpg (2116x2948, 1.61M)

Attached: DSC_0321.jpg (2304x1536, 1.89M)

Just buy a Vega 56 and OC it to the level of an RTX 2070

things I've done since I slapped the morpheus on it:
>got a new evga g3 850 power supply to replace my seasonic focus+ 750. seasonic kept having its OCP kick in because of the high transient spikes of the vega 64.
>swapped out my cryorig h7 for a cooler master 120m aio which surprisingly cools better.
>redid some of the vrm heatsinks on my vega 64. picked up some new ones to cover better.
>swapped the typhoons to my case to use as intakes and picked up another nf-a12x25 and placed two of those on my vega 64. my typhoons are 2150rpm pwm and they produce more cfm and static pressure and I have a custom mesh dust filter so it does a better job sucking air in.

Start by setting the GPU core to 1380 MHz with 835 mV on the core and overclock the HBM2 to 1050 MHz. You'll consume about 180 Watts, performance will be the same as the stock settings at 1440p and you'll get no thermal or power throttling.

bright side over reference I had the following improvements:

reference:
>core: 85-87c
>hbm: 95c
>hotspot: 97-105c
>hbm freq: 910mhz avg
>core freg: 1400mhz avg

morpheus:
>core: 47c
>hbm: 51c
>hotspot: 77c
>hbm freq: 945mhz solid
>core freg: 1540mhz solid

Attached: Z76IS5H.jpg (3024x4032, 3.07M)

vega 64 for 415€
vs
2070 for 500€

what do?

Fucking nice my dude. No idea why you would go through all the trouble but thats some amazing results.

2070 is about 10% faster than a 1080. 1080 and vega 64 generally one off each other. vega 64 though needs good cooling as the reference is pretty piss poor for it. not that the reference cooler is bad, it isn't, but its not enough for vega 64.

i'm the morpheus guy above you. I also live in the pacific northwest so ambient temps is pretty damn near freezing cold atm and it still couldn't help the reference cooler.

the reference for $400 is a fantastic deal, just be prepared to have to slap on better cooling for it. in my case, morpheus + vega 64 for $400 came out cheaper than any 2070 or aftermarket design vega 64.

power supply I don't care about because I was wanting to ditch seasonic for awhile. I was already having issues with it.
>hurr undervoollt XXDDDDDDDDDDDDD
yeah, no. if you want to get the most out of it undervooolltting xDDD like an autistic and slapping on a better cooler will still get you the best results than just undervooting alone.

>naming your GPU after a 1990s MIPS console
What did they mean by this?

Attached: Street_Fighter_II_Art_Vega_1.jpg (821x970, 91K)

For 500€ you'll get a gimped chip

I love the morpheus because it nets you custom loop temperatures without the insane cost for custom loop.

as long as you have enough space to turn your card into a near five slot card lol.

Thanks
But I'm not even zalking about the reference vega but a Asus ROG Strix, si I assume the cooling is not an issue

how many fan rpms on the morpheus?

>*talking
>*an
>*so

can you elaborate?

Attached: 1539029733178.jpg (1564x1600, 175K)

wait for 7nm

oh the strix vega 64 is a fine card. asus also appears to have fixed the vrm thermal pad to a proper size so vrm cooling shouldn't be an issue anymore.

>wait
yeah but this way you should never buy any hardware.

thanks again

>2019 comes
>wait for zen 3 and 7nm+ in 2020

>What do Jow Forums?
Buy and undervolt/underclock until you get a better cooling. You can trade small fraction of performance for significant power savings.
You can also use liquid metal to improve thermals.

>seasonic focus+
Damn, you saved my ass dude. I literally had that thing on my list for my vega64 build. It's too bad i'm afraid to brick my card by changing the fan.

current tech is 2 years old. New cards will release within the next 6 months. Now is the time to wait, not to buy.