This is not actually worth my time if I want to even have a chance for a job (in Germany), right?

This is not actually worth my time if I want to even have a chance for a job (in Germany), right?
Like I should stick with C++ / Java or some shit

> it doesn't hurt to learn another language
Yeah I already scraped the surface of a couple of languages but the reason I never stuck with them is that I can't seem to get any project idea

Attached: rust.png (225x225, 4K)

Other urls found in this thread:

crates.io/crates/left-pad
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Nigga if you want to get a job that doesn't suck dick first you need a decent portfolio and for that you can use any fucking language you want

Yeah that's the problem.

I took the wrong fucking road by fucking around with many languages and now I'm so stupid I can't come up with anything

? Each single popular language can do almost the same shit. Just pick whatever and have fun

In the future, likely. As of today? No, it's too young.

If you're willing to move to Berlin and you're good at Rust I'll hire you.

There has never been a language that magically went from "too young" to "employable." This one will be no different.

I am German as well.
Here you should just get a degree and learn a mainstream language.

>There has never been a language that magically went from "too young" to "employable.
Node is technically JS but still.

Portfolio means jack shit in Germany. That is Silicon Valley. Here your best bet is to get a degree, learn Java and get a job at some bank or something. Most recruiters will not even know what GitHub is.

>Portfolio means jack shit in Germany
This is such jackshit, a decent portfolio will help you anywhere, not a calculator or shit like this but full blown web apps or games or something

you'd still need a B.Sc. in comp sci or equivalent

Well yeah, having a job as a dev without a degree is basically impossible everywhere.

Is it weird I got one without even a high school diploma?

I can only speak from my own experience and the experience of my friends, who are for the most part CS graduates.
If you get a master in CS here with a good grade, you get the jobs. KPMG, PWC, working for something like Deutsche Bank is below you. SAP is a bit harder.
Meanwhile I saw people who are better programmers but don't have the degree and they struggle.

Employers here also have respect for established technolies, if you are very good at C++ they will hire you and you will learn Angular on the job.

All those things are just data points from one person of course, but I feel like the traditional way is much favoured here. Of course you will still only make like 60k or something. If you want to go high risk/ high reward that is your decision, but then I don't think Germany is the best place for you.

>not having a high school diploma

java/c#/python, anything else is just waste of time if you wanna have a job

java is great, rust for extra credit maybe

Yeah, I never felt like finishing high school.

If you are a white male you are not even welcome in the Rust community, if you are female or a minority however, go for it.

except every language

Don't do something new and groundbreaking, start simple. A chat server, a blog generator, a parser, a 2d game if you have time. For that you can use every language you wish. Then upload it somewhere, at least you'll have something to show during an interview.

Either that or getting a cs degree, becoming a code monkey for some company and spend 10 hours a day doing some shitty webdev or managing databases which is boring af IMHO

8 years later Kappa

fuck off back to Jow Forums with your bullshit

depends on how good a programmer you already are

I suppose in the time it would take to learn Rust one could learn a bunch of more widely-used languages or technologies, like JS, Python, k8s, etc

but hey if you know all that stuff already go for Rust, it's a great language in my opinion, and it wasn't the most-loved language three years in a row (stackoverflow survey) for nothing

Peasant paper-weilding Eurofags, PWC and KPMG offer up jobs to anyone here across most parts of their business.
They'll give you a fucking trading desk and millions to play with if you can demonstrate aptitude despite failing high school.

Majority of students have a job at 3rd or even 2nd year. I worked with many people without any degree.

t. Pole

Rust is for hobbyists and startups, not for guaranteed job.

Yeah, recruiters look at how many years of experience you have with each $language. Learn PHP, C# or Java, don't go the C++ or Rust route, if you want jobs.
Rust has exactly 0 jobs in Germany, the only job I could find (and applied for, with 2 years of experience in Rust) was a shitty startup in Berlin where a guy offered me 30k for doing consultancy work. Fuck that, you can get 45k with an entry-level webdev job.
Learn Java, C# or PHP, there are lots and lots of jobs for those. Rust is only used at startups (at least in terms of jobs), and startups generally pay shit.

>ruby
>javascript (mostly as node.js)
>rust
>whatever JVM flavor of the month is

Email?

Look what happened with Go

email your resume or github or whatever to [email protected]

well google did the same thing with python in ages past

I'm working as a full-time rust dev in Germany and I know at least 4 other (2 of them are my colleagues). Just go to Rust meetups and conferences. There were multiple vendor booths at this years RustFest and they all looked for developers.

Attached: 1543710914311.jpg (500x708, 32K)

In the future all the problems with C++ that would make one want to use Rust instead will be gone

doesn't work anymore
lol
you must be seething

it doesn't?

rust seemed cool until i realized the core promise was a lie
leaking memory is "safe"
can't even implement double linked list in safe rust
2018 rust is pushing more breaking changes
sad

>leaking memory
The only solution to leaking memory is to not leak memory. It's 100% pebkac logic problems and no amount of training wheels will fix that. Programmers know this.

Yeah, it seems that we are about halfway there.
~moving objects in Rust - move semantics + mandatory copy/move elision in C++17 left rust with no advantage
~packaging in Rust - managing libraries in C++ has always been a major pain point, however with C++20 modules things will be different
~lack of implicit conversion in Rust - well, this one is probably not going anywhere, however compiling with -Wconversion and writing only explicit constructors and conversion operators makes C++ bearable

Problem with packaging in Rust is that the same retards from webshit hell turned cargo into npm now.
> crates.io/crates/left-pad

Explicit type conversion's not a big deal cause you can just use traits like you're supposed to.

Rust does have a couple implicit type conversions, they're simply not user definable.
Personally I don't like languages that decide things for you in this way.

this

>asking for career advice from 4channel
yikes!

Well it's anonymous and some people on here already have a job, so why not?

>~moving objects in Rust - move semantics + mandatory copy/move elision in C++17 left rust with no advantage
That's nowhere near close to what Rust provides, so please stop bullshitting, without a borrow checker all you're getting is making sure you're not making useless copies, and that's not the point of move semantics in Rust.

>~packaging in Rust - managing libraries in C++ has always been a major pain point, however with C++20 modules things will be different
And then you still have 9001 different build systems and ways to handle packages, modules don't solve the ecosystem problem.

>~lack of implicit conversion in Rust - well, this one is probably not going anywhere, however compiling with -Wconversion and writing only explicit constructors and conversion operators makes C++ bearable
Bandaids.